Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Nightmares

Hypevosa

I just spent the last 2 days bum rushing nightmare mode with a rhino to try and get a hammershot mod.  While nightmares may pose some threat for most frames, a good rhino has no real nightmares, which is kinda sad, so I would like to propose a few add ons and fixes I thought of while going through.

1. No minimap, no indicator:  Bane to rushing missions, thorough and observant is the only way to make this nightmare go by more quickly.  This is an addition to nightmares, much like low gravity mode.

2. Stamina starts draining after health is drained in vampire mode.  Since it would be unkind to have vampire mode kill you outright if you suddenly found yourself with no one to kill, they decided to not have vampire mode murder you when you get to almost 0 hp, instead, it just stops there.  To prevent abusing this with large shields, I'd like to propose that your stamina begins a drain effect after your health drops to levels the game won't eat from, and thus, you actually want or have to kill enemies.

3. Heavies/specials only.  As you may guess, this is a pretty aweful nightmare.  Napalmers, bombadeers, ancients, and all the corpus techs and rail MOAs you can handle.  Enemy count is a little lower to compensate, but every enemy you encounter is the deadliest you can find.  This is its own mode.

4. Shield vampire: Like health vampire but with shields, something far more important for the player to try and keep up at all times.  Again, this is its own mode.

5. Kill penalty mode.  This is like the timer mode, but, instead of rewarding you for killing enemies, it takes away time for killing them.  Suddenly the choice to kill or disable an enemy and run matters, as your deadliness is now your own nightmare and not your enemy's.  Obviously, attempting to stealth these missions is best, but the timer is still there to menace you.

6.  Faction switch.  Thought you were prepared for your nightmare?  Wrong.  This is an addition like low grav and no map.

7.  Nightmare swap.  You reached the objective?  Good on you, now we'll change the rules of the game and see how much better you do.  This is random like additional missions.

8.  Nightmare +.  Your previous nightmare wasn't hard enough?  Have a new mission, and an additional nightmare.

9.  Nightmare survival.  This is a nightmare specific to survival mode.  Nightmares keep adding on to eachother ever 5 minutes until you get all of them.  How much can you survive through?  Can you survive the ultimate nightmare?  (this would exclude the kill penalty nightmare obviously).

10. Mission specific nightmare drop tables.  The fact that I can farm deception and capture instead of playing defense or some other mission type that takes longer and more effort for mods is disheartening.  Each mission type should have its own specific mod types it drops more often than others.  More nightmare mods would also be nice.

11. MALBORO mode.  This nightmare afflicts you with random statuses for the entire mission - you will randomly be stunned, knocked down, blinded, have the edges of your screen light up with fire, suffer shield drain, etc for the entire mission.  The timer randomizes between 15 and 60 seconds for statuses (not duration, only frequency), so you never know when it's coming, only that it is.

12. Mind meld mode.  This nightmare randomly switches you into your team mates' warframes.  I hope you know what the hell you're doing.

Feel free to add your own nightmares/additions, etc.  The goal is to be hard, but not impossible, to encourage adaptation but not completely shaft the player for thinking ahead, and to not single out specific frames.

EDIT:  Additional idea:
Nightmare campaign: after finishing all planets, you can choose to begin a nightmare campaign on the starting mission of every planet, which will take you to every level non-stop in series with changing nightmares between each.  If you reach the end, you get a special reward depending on what planet you finished, along with all the rewards you accrued for every level you played.

Edited by Hypevosa

BTW, #1 was in their original condition set for nightmare, and the community raged so hard they took it out. For good reason.

Good reason indeed. Ever spent twenty minutes running between the same two rooms?

Cause the community loves rushing, and really dislike exploring the tile set.

I actually enjoyed it.

This makes me kinda sad.  God forbid people go exploring, or try to take note of which doors are blue and which are red, or stick together...  In what world does something that's supposed to be hard have to cater to people screaming to make it easy?  You don't like it, you quit, like half the people do in no shields+energy drain mode, but taking the challenge away from those of us who welcome it is sad indeed.

If we can see what kind of nightmare mission we are getting into. As in what type of 'effects' will be in place, I wouldn't mind them adding in whatever.

Going into a no shield/energy mission just invalidates more than half of all warframes. Abilities are a huge part of the game, why make a mission where you basically can't use any?

I actually enjoyed it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I only got to run it once and I enjoyed it whenever I made the right turn. -_-

This makes me kinda sad.  God forbid people go exploring, or try to take note of which doors are blue and which are red, or stick together...  In what world does something that's supposed to be hard have to cater to people screaming to make it easy?  You don't like it, you quit, like half the people do in no shields+energy drain mode, but taking the challenge away from those of us who welcome it is sad indeed.

I'm one of those loot-rushers. I loot everything, including secret rooms, and still end up at extraction sometimes even 5 minutes ahead of the rest of my team. I love exploring, but I've basically found every non-void/non-Phobos secret room there is, and it's boring now.

No minimap isn't challenging, it's unfairly punishing to those who don't have the tilesets memorized as well as someone like me. No indicator is even worse - there's nothing preventing you from accidentally turning around and running all the way back to the start point, which can more than double the mission time. I also only did a nightmare w/o minimap/indicator once, and the experience was so unenjoyable that it made me not do nightmare at all until they removed it. I've experienced the same thing in Phobos, where the first couple days after release the indicator would randomly jump ahead several rooms leaving the players completely lost and once making a <15-minute mission last almost an hour. If you think that's fun, you have a twisted mind.

People were quitting because you'd get S#&amp;&#036; like no minimap when doing a spy mission. There is no memorizing the tilesets. This isn't Dark Souls where every last area is hand crafted and unique and thus easy to remember, it's a bunch of tiles that are slapped together randomly. There's no memorizing that kind of garbage. Ever done a Corpus ship mission and go into that little L shaped corridor with a couple sets of stairs, sometimes a room near the crate/lock-down terminal and find another exactly like it past the next door? I don't want to explore in Nightmare mode because there's often a time crunch and my ammo, health, and energy (sometimes, yay no shields+energy) are limited. Enemies respawn infinitely outside of Exterminate missions. I do not want any team members &#036;&amp;*^ing around and trying to find a secret room if the Nightmare slaps on Timer + High level enemies.

People were quitting because you'd get S#&$ like no minimap when doing a spy mission. There is no memorizing the tilesets. This isn't Dark Souls where every last area is hand crafted and unique and thus easy to remember, it's a bunch of tiles that are slapped together randomly. There's no memorizing that kind of garbage. Ever done a Corpus ship mission and go into that little L shaped corridor with a couple sets of stairs, sometimes a room near the crate/lock-down terminal and find another exactly like it past the next door? I don't want to explore in Nightmare mode because there's often a time crunch and my ammo, health, and energy (sometimes, yay no shields+energy) are limited. Enemies respawn infinitely outside of Exterminate missions. I do not want any team members &#036;&amp;*^ing around and trying to find a secret room if the Nightmare slaps on Timer + High level enemies.

That's actually not very hard, me and a few friends did it a few times. 

Also just so everyone knows, the minimap wasn't 100% gone, just the visibility turned down to the point where you can't see unless you angle your camera just right and with the right background, you can kind of make out the minimap

I actually enjoyed it.

actually, because there were no in game mapping tools, so you'd have no idea where you already were.

A simple map system like...i dunno...legend of zelda for 8-bit nintendo would have made this game mode feasable.

Or Dead space's Pathing highlighter.

oh god yes. Everytime that marker starts jumping all over the place while im in the middle of a room i just wish i had Isaac's magic blue ray of hope.

of course the simplest solution would be to just put where its telling you to go on your hud. Because sometimes that minimap marker is useless.

personally I'll only say... no to 1

without a mini map, good luck reaching the objective lol

for 4, shield vamp, its already together with the warframe energy vamp

5. kill penalty isn't really that good, sure stealth play but what if its an assassination mission? what then

7. Nightmare swap... try deception in nightmare once in awhile like 50 times, its a pain when it goes datamass, or capture missions do fine as well

12. mind meld mode? nope, I don't want others touching my personal frosty prime

but overall I do love the other suggestions such as nightmare mode +

heavy specials only and fraction switch, outside that, not really

well took me 78 rounds in total to get a hammer shot and 2 blaze but I do admit I had fun in nightmare, esp without a rhino 

I'm sure its okay to just not use rhino once in a while

Edited by xbansheex

You know I just had a slight brainstorm....

Instead of having the nightmare mod be a general thing, where everyone has health drain, shield loss, energy loss, or no mini map, have each player have his or her own handicap. So one player could have health drain, and energy loss, the other three could have any mix of the handicaps. No mini map would be great for this, if setup so 1 or 3 players have no minimap, and as long as at least 1 person can see the minimap everyone can still get to the objective, dispute the fact that it is possible to get to multiple objectives with no minimap. 

Also, if the person with the minimap leaves, someone else gains visibility of the minimap, and any new squadmates get no minimap.

then 

You know I just had a slight brainstorm....

Instead of having the nightmare mod be a general thing, where everyone has health drain, shield loss, energy loss, or no mini map, have each player have his or her own handicap. So one player could have health drain, and energy loss, the other three could have any mix of the handicaps. No mini map would be great for this, if setup so 1 or 3 players have no minimap, and as long as at least 1 person can see the minimap everyone can still get to the objective, dispute the fact that it is possible to get to multiple objectives with no minimap. 

Also, if the person with the minimap leaves, someone else gains visibility of the minimap, and any new squadmates get no minimap.

lol i start a nightmare game. i have the minimap. They say "whos got the minimap?" in chat. I lie and say "not me"

"god damn it its bugged ='(" 

Then follow everone else around for the lulz giggling.