Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban & Ember Dev Workshop

[DE]Connor

Hail Tenno!

Today we’ve got a double shot of Warframe rework goodness. You may want to make a snack; we’re gonna be here awhile.

The subjects of today’s Workshop are two of our oldest frames, and as such, many of our players are very invested in their continued viability. We have listened at length to your feedback, and hope to have struck a balance between adding new features and facelifting old favorites. That being said, everything presented here is subject to further change before release.

You've all waited long enough - let’s begin!

First up...

The greatest tacticians make use of all tools at their disposal, to achieve something greater than the sum of its parts. 

This is the fantasy we aimed to deliver with VAUBAN, our engineer-themed Warframe. Over six years have passed since his release back in 2013, and although his crowd-controlling abilities were valuable to mitigate damage in high level missions, the state of our ever-changing game rendered his tools less useful over time. Improvements that came with his Prime variant in 2016 gave Vauban more tools to choose from, but after observing how our players chose to utilize his powers, it became apparent that his abilities were still too one-dimensional.

When revisiting Vauban, we aimed to retain his status as a crowd control powerhouse, while increasing his mobility and lethality to keep up with 2019 Warframe’s lightning-quick pace.

1. TESLA DRONES (replacing Tesla Grenades)
    Instead of sticking to surfaces, these new Tesla Drones will roll around, following the player. Once an enemy comes within range, these Drones will latch on and emit a shock that stuns the target and nearby enemies. Each Drone has a limited number of shock charges before it must be replaced. Hold cast to summon multiple Tesla Drones at once!

2. MINELAYER
    All four of his mines have been replaced with new options:

-”Sticky Ripline” pulls a number of nearby enemies to wherever it sticks, rendering them immobile.

-”Nail Grenade” fires high velocity nails in all directions, inflicting puncture damage to any unlucky enough to be nearby.

-”Boost Pad” lays down a walk pad, granting a boost of speed in a chosen direction (indicated by arrows).

-”Damage Amp” will latch onto a nearby ally, enhancing their damage output for a period of time.

3. ORBITAL STRIKE (Bastille moved to #4)
    A deployable beacon marks a location on the map. After a short countdown, the area is struck by a massive orbital laser explosion (and yes, it does work indoors).

4. BASTILLE (combined with Vortex)
    Vauban’s two marquee powers have been combined into a new and devastating ultimate ability!

When deployed, a Bastille will capture nearby enemies, stripping enemies of their armor over time. Players standing within a Bastille’s radius will gain a temporary armor increase, building up over time based on how much armor is currently being stripped from enemies.

When a Bastille’s duration expires, it collapses into a brief Vortex at the center of the cast for easy group kills. Want the Vortex to appear sooner, or last longer? Holding the cast key will collapse all active Bastilles early!

Overall, many of Vauban’s powers have been streamlined or replaced, making his tools less redundant, and much more versatile for keeping up with the pace of an average Warframe mission.

Next....

While Vauban is at his strongest while controlling the battlefield, today’s other frame thrives on widespread panic and chaos. EMBER, our fire-based caster Warframe, has seen her usage stats cool off over the years - so it’s time to turn up the heat!

Although their kits are very different, our goals for this rework were similar: increase the options available to Ember players in moment-to-moment combat, offering more synergies for flexible gameplay, instead of encouraging one-dimensional specialization.

New Passive: All enemies within a certain range that are on fire will grant Ember added ability strength (up to a cap). 

1. FIREBALL
    Works fundamentally the same as it does now - tap for quick fire, hold to charge for greater impact. Enemies already inflicted by any heat status effect will now take additional damage. 

The damage output and charge speed also scale off of one of Ember’s newest abilities...

2. IMMOLATION (replacing Accelerant)
    Time for a history lesson! Prior to Update 11.5, Ember’s second ability used to be “Overheat”, offering an aura of heat damage which also protected her from enemy fire. Almost SIX years later, it’s time for this ring of fire to come full circle.

When cast, Ember Immolates herself with protective fire armor. Her current level of self-Immolation is indicated by a unique UI indicator; the higher the heat, the more damage resistance, and the more effective Ember’s other abilities become.

Empty -> Full
    EmberMeter.jpg

The Immolation meter will build slowly at first - killing enemies and casting Ember’s Fireball (or her new ultimate ability) causes the meter to build faster. But be warned! If the meter reaches 100%, Ember will “overheat”, unleashing a wave of flame expending ALL energy. To prevent this from happening, use Fire Blast to expel a portion of your heat meter, or toggle Immolation off to reset meter build.

3. FIRE BLAST
    Like Fireball, this ability remained the same function-wise, with a few usability buffs: Casting time has been greatly reduced, and the ability now strips armor from nearby enemies, scaling in effectiveness based on current Immolation levels.

4. INFERNO (replacing World On Fire)
    Upon casting Inferno, all enemies currently within sight are struck by a fiery comet, lighting each target ablaze in a personal ring of fire. 

If an enemy ignited by Inferno comes in contact with another unit, the fire will spread, igniting them as well with a fresh ability duration. Damage of the heat AoE scales with current Immolation meter level.

With these changes, players will take a more active role in “bringing the heat” to all that stand in their way, with added protection that encapsulates Ember’s volatile nature.

To reiterate, we will be listening closely to feedback, and will remain open to changes both before and after release.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

I actually love everything about Ember! The new passive is awesome, she has damage mitigation, armor stripping and a nuke that isn't brain dead. 

That said, two questions arise:

Why was Accelerant, her best ability, removed? Although her armor stripping could make up for it. But still, it'd make more sense to remove Fireball and keep Accelerant. But I'll trust what I saw since it did look fun! 🙂

Why is Fireball still your generic first skill? Can something else be added to it? The charge mechanic is extremely silly because in what scenario would I not want more damage and range? Perhaps give it the ability to weaken enemies in range to Heat damage as the old Accelerant did?

On that same note, Vauban's rework also seems great! I love how flavorful everything is now. Very versatile and no longer suffers from kit redundancy 

All in all, I am loving DE's new rework design philosophy! Fun, synergistic, all four skills are usable and effectiveness isn't sacrificed.

#HailPablo

Just now, VentiGlondi said:

Accelerant was a crutch. It's only purpose was to help with the fact that fire damage ain't all that great.

If Ember's damage scales properly it's not necessary.

Even then, it provided a massive damage amp for an Ember using Heat weaponry. But with what was shown, she may not have to worry about Heat damage being subpar. Seeing as how armor was Ember's worst enemy.

Sooo, who noticed that it was my passive? ^^

As to the points, I'm actually a little more positive. With her leading the rework into better Heat status effects and more bonus for setting things on fire, including the armour reduction as a base part of it... and her passive working off setting things on fire... I think that having her 1 literally just be that point-and-cast 'enemies get set on fire' mechanic will work very soundly.

Fire Blast will be good radial with further armour reduction and then you have that new 4 which... honestly I'm pretty into.

Yes they were only Butchers, but they were level 200 armoured units, and it did do a lot to them, especially with that Immolation function for DR and bonus damage.

1 minute ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

As to the points, I'm actually a little more positive. With her leading the rework into better Heat status effects and more bonus for setting things on fire, including the armour reduction as a base part of it... and her passive working off setting things on fire... I think that having her 1 literally just be that point-and-cast 'enemies get set on fire' mechanic will work very soundly.

Fire Blast will be good radial with further armour reduction and then you have that new 4 which... honestly I'm pretty into.

Yes they were only Butchers, but they were level 200 armoured units, and it did do a lot to them, especially with that Immolation function for DR and bonus damage.

Agreed! Super exciting 🙂

6 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Why was Accelerant, her best ability, removed? Although her armor stripping could make up for it. But still, it'd make more sense to remove Fireball and keep Accelerant. But I'll trust what I saw since it did look fun!

As @VentiGlondi said. Accelerant is a crutch. Her new passive makes it redundant and the stun didn't had that big of a range anyways (but I believe it got worked into immolation) and the casting speed bonus was put into immolation too. 

10 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Why is Fireball still your generic first skill? Can something else be added to it? The charge mechanic is extremely silly because in what scenario would I not want more damage and range?

Cuz generic first skill, it has some uses now with the passive and increased casting speed from immolation and heat proc changes

the new 2 just doesnt make sense being an ability and not a passive. And the new passive doesnt seem very useful as they need living enemies in melee range. The punishment for going to max overheat also doesnt make sense, especially when gauss only gains from overcharging. This is just to force people to use her 3.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Why was Accelerant, her best ability, removed? Although her armor stripping could make up for it. But still, it'd make more sense to remove Fireball and keep Accelerant. But I'll trust what I saw since it did look fun! 🙂

With fire status being changed--having cumulative stacking damage, and stripping armor--accelerant would've been overkill.

Plus the new fire-blast essentially does what accelerant used to do, except it's on armored targets:

Heat damage has never had an issue killing fleshy targets; it only struggled against armored targets, even while using accelerant. Now that we can strip armor, and fireblast strips armor, accelerant becomes unnecessary. Fireblast is essentially an improved accelerant.  

19 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Why is Fireball still your generic first skill? Can something else be added to it? The charge mechanic is extremely silly because in what scenario would I not want more damage and range? Perhaps give it the ability to weaken enemies in range to Heat damage as the old Accelerant did?

I somewhat wonder this too... It's probably their guilty pleasure... but they honestly needed a cheap & fast cast to start building fire status with, and for the gauge mechanics. 

These are just my suspicions... I don't really know their reasoning, but I can try to make sense of it lol

I hate it....    =(

-Never use fireball.  If anything her new 4 should be this.. 

-Her 3 should suck enemies IN not knock them back.  This would work extremely well after you hit people with your 4 which makes enemies spread fire to other nearby enemies.   And 4 causes your heat guage to jump up which means you need to use 3 afterwards..   I guess thats the point... Light em on fire and then send them flying so they light other enemies on fire...  But I would rather suck everything together so that its all burning while im beating stuff to death with melee.    I really hate losing her old 3.   3 and 4 were everything and we are losing both =(

- 4 should be her 1.  Losing WoF is a gut punch.  Her new 4 is not as cool as her old one.   Her new 4 should look almost exactly like Vauban's orbital strike.  That was bad ass!!!  Embers ultimate = lame.   Rebb said her new 4 only affects the crap you see on your screen to so it wont be 360 degree like WoF was?? 

Her passive should be determined by range mods... start at 10-15 meters.   10 meters period is way to short.  And again her 3 that you have to spam all the time so you dont lose your energy will easily knock everything OUT of your 10 meter range....  where as if it sucked enemeies in would actually play into her passive....

------

I finally got around to using Ember as my main and that lasted for about 1-2 months before you guys go and rework her again.   Totally scrapping most of her powers isnt a rework its a reboot.   All we need was a more exciting 1, a damage reduction ability,  her 3 ad 4 should have done % damage so they scaled with enemies and didnt just stop working after a certain point.  

Ember is my favorite warframe because of her looks not because of her abilities but she is not going to play ANYTHING like she did previously and I dont see that as a good thing.   It just makes me sad.  

Ember's revamp looks like a rush job or an after thought.  

=(

Nice overall, Except for:
-”Nail Grenade” fires high velocity nails in all directions, inflicting puncture damage to any unlucky enough to be nearby.
Kinda underwelming in contrast with everything else. Can't see myself using it personally.
Viral darts would be way better since that's the only viable option if everything is CCed (no need for puncture if they can't attack) and stripping is already taken care off.

Also, was the enemy cap on bastille removed?

4 hours ago, [DE]Connor said:

Ember will “overheat”, unleashing a wave of flame expending ALL energy

Could you please pass the message to Scott that many players doesn't like the micro-management in a Warframe as experienced from Gauss, because it took our concentration on playing the game peacefully.

As a suggestion, why not make the meter something like Atlas's armor buff, which will decrease over-time? and has to keep the heat up to keep charging it.

Also, her Inferno, I hope the radius scale off of Range, else it won't hit that many enemies unless in defence etc missions.

Ok, I'm not gonna say that Vauban's new 4th ability execution idea is from me, cos I think I just guessed it correctly at the time the tweet was posted. hehe

1 hour ago, [DE]Connor said:

The Immolation meter will build slowly at first - killing enemies and casting Ember’s Fireball (or her new ultimate ability) causes the meter to build faster. But be warned! If the meter reaches 100%, Ember will “overheat”, unleashing a wave of flame expending ALL energy.

This is a bit harsh. You're essentially penalizing using her abilities. Given how fast the meter filled on stream, its going to be too easy to accidentally overheat. Look at Gauss. He has a similar mechanic. Yet he doesn't get penalized for keeping it at max. Add an energy drain at max immolation instead of expending all energy if you want to penalize max meter

so i'm glad you'll look at the posts here, so i had an idea of Vauban augment, and it would be really neat if it could be added!! 🙂

so, what i imagined is that for bastille, the huge ring that hold the enemies in the air, instead of stopping them in the ring as soon as they enter and leave them immobile, the augment will no longer make it so bastille stop the enemies. instead, it will lost that ability, while getting a range boost of 50 per cent, or 100 per cent, also  keeping the full armor stripping, making it so if Vauban desire so, to make a place to stay and camp, rather than being mobile, like what your actual devstream has shown! Letting the now armor-stripped enemies run into you while you and your team are in this fortified bastion, these poor enemies coming right into the wolf nest. so like that we'll have both side! mobile, and immobile, and it will make Vauban a great Frame to have in high end mission where armor can be a problem! especially in places that requires to stay at one spot!!

hope you'll consider it!!! 🙂 It would be amazing to see Vauban getting use in serious end level missions!!!

31 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

I didn't know that it was *your* passive, but i definitely remembered that they used one of the better passives which were suggested on the forums lol. I'm happy they used your idea though!

Honestly i'm glad they did, it's a really good passive.

I think immolation & her meter is similar to something I suggested, but I don't want to claim if it was mine or not since idk how many other people also suggested something similar lol. 

I think a lot of people contributed to her overall final design tbh

I'M SO HAPPY HEAT WILL FINALLY MELT ARMOR THOUGH

3 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

It is eons better than Personal Space on Fire

Default is 15 meters.  If you are strength based then stuff melts fast and you move on anyways...   Setting stuff on fire across the map is only needed if your fire is weak.   

Her new passive + old WoF would have been pretty dope. (although her passive should be atleast 15 meters and or be affected by range mods)

With new Ember when the hell will anyone ever be within 10 meters of her ?? 

Archived