Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban & Ember Dev Workshop

[DE]Connor

11 minutes ago, Proslackernifty said:

A potential 90% damage reduction is governed by a nerf-o-meter, and forces you to use abilities when not needed or when not desired. Got it!

Meteor shower is going to be disappointing. It will be like dropping plushies onto your enemies

And that meter is still subject to change.

And how is a meteor shower that kills lvl80 enemies dropping plushies on your enemies? Have you even watched the devstream and made the calculations? Those lvl 200 butchers have 56K effective health, and a lvl85 lancer has 55.7K effective health. A lvl 47 heavy gunner has 55.2K effective health. A lvl43 bombard has 55.2K health.

Frankly, Minelayer is the only thing weighting down a good rework, because of the little to no use of any of its sub-abilities save for the damage boost grenade.

Personally, I would love a more utility-based kit for Minelayer (and maybe change its name to something more appropriate, considering that they are no longer mines, such as Multi-tool). We already got a damage buffing ability, what about giving the whole set? Movement, defense and maybe a more exotic alternative.
A simple idea would be:
1.- Barrier: Overloading its shields, Vauban (and any ally nearby) reduces all forms of damage and status for an amount of time. (-25 energy; -60% shield; damage mitigation 40%, 10 seconds (duration affected by modules), -1 second for each status effect)

2.- Spyglass: Increase the zoom of both Primary and secondary weapons (-25 energy; +5 zoom (affected by range mods), 20 seconds)

3.-Tele-grenade: Vauban launches a grenade, which after a short duration will teleport Vauban to the location the grenade was launched. Pressing again before its detonation will activate it. Hitting an ally with it will mark him/her and be send instead of Vauban.

Augment: Flashing bang

Any Multi-tool used will blind for 3 seconds (flat) and proc radiation to any enemy nearby (ranges 5, 10, 15 meters).

What I really want to know is why a "fire frame" is getting penalized for being too hot (or overheating for that matter). As was said countless times before, micromanaging that gauge meter is just too distracting/irritating when you're in a mission. Aren't abilities supposed to synergize with weapons and all that (at least that's how I've been playing Warframe for the last 5+ years)? I've made my peace with the last rework they did with Ember (I've brought her solo in ODD before that, but yeah) but this upcoming one just makes her feel like a whole different frame altogether. I hope they reconsider the instant energy drain because she has "overheated".The overheating bit is kind of preposterous on a fire-elemental, right?

There are way too many posts in this thread for me to read it all to find out if a dev has already addressed this, but is the overheat "lose all energy" thing meant to be our energy that we cast our abilities with, or do you mean the bar loses it's "immolation energy" and drops back down to the basic buffs? Cause the first would be ridiculous, the second is not that big of a deal.

Also, if this has been asked and answered, the main post needs to be edited to clarify so people are not expected to search through the whole thread for that answer.

Also, also, it is silly to have a dev workshop that addresses TWO warframe reworks in the same post. Now the feedback for both frames is all mixed in together. Please make individual workshop posts for each warframe in the future so that the feedback is more consolidated. If Vauban's rework is mostly spot on with only a few places that could be polished, while Ember's rework is universally panned as a dumpster fire, the few bits of constructive criticism for Vauban will be buried in the rubble left behind by Ember's meteor shower. (not saying that is the circumstance here, just an example)

Ember:

Assuming that the answer to my first question is the sane answer of, "Of course we meant her immolation energy, discharging all of her 'normal' energy would result in forum fires!":

Abilities #2 and #3:

I will start here due to the synergy and possible controversy.

I realize the devs like to kill any stupid-simple abilities that let you almost completely set it and forget it, but I am no fan of the "forced synergy" they have been trying to bake into some power sets. They take a power set that had one map-clearing nuke and useless everything else and go "okay, fine, you can still do this, but only if you cast ALL of your useless abilities first to make the nuke work."

They seem to be getting better about how far this goes and making the useless powers less so. In this case they don't seem to have gone overboard like with Saryn's first outing. And arguably, making the player periodically cast their 3 to prevent overheating isn't THAT intrusive (assuming sane consequences discussed above). However, I think it becomes disruptive/immersion breaking for the player as that ability is a CC ability that knocks all the enemies back, and knockback isn't always desired. So making the player babysit their thermometer like:

TYR: Manually discharging capacitor bank A.
BEKA: Manually discharging capacitor bank B.
TYR: Manually evacuating pion reservoir A.
BEKA: Manually evacuating pion reservoir B.
TYR: Venting complete.
BEKA: I never thought I would miss an AP solenoid valve this much.

^Andromeda reference^ Where my nerds at?

Seems... meh.

I think a simple fix would be instead of knockback on fireblast, it should give the CC that used to be baked into accelerant and cause the enemies to be stunned in place as their armor melts rather than being blasted away. Maybe a name change to "heatwave" or "heat stroke" or perhaps "Heat Syncope" in honor of Princess Hibana :D (devs love them some animu -"Fire Force" reference, for the uninitiated.)... or any name that doesn't suggest "blast" and the requisite "blown away" will do.

Could even lay into that with the visuals and rather than the flailing "I'm on fire!" have them slump a bit like they are overwhelmed by the heat and surround them with the radiating heat waves. Be as fancy or not as you like.

Ability #1:

Fireball is, to me, -as nearly all #1 warframe abilities are- useless. This usually doesn't bother me too much, as "1" is not an easy key for me to press while maintaining directional control... though as I write this, I am sitting here thinking that maybe I just need to modify my keymaping more aggressively than I already have to remedy that situation... But personally, I would prefer for the "toggles" and decent duration buffs to go to "1" so I can set it and forget it/periodically bother with it, then use 2-4 for powers I need to actively/spamably cast.

But again... I can probably fix this by just editing what keys do what like I did with the carpel tunnel inducing defaults for bullet jump. I'll try that eventually.

But yes, the #1 power seems to usually serve the roll of "eh" on most frames, especially the "elemental projectile" types, given a single bullet from any weapon will likely be more effective. Aside from that, I am not terribly fond of charge mechanics unless they are going to REALLY pay off.

Charge mechanics in this game seem to take this:

giphy.gif

And make it this:

giphy.gif

Unfortunately ^this^ is actually an extremely generous analogy when considering the actual effective difference between the two in the game this is pulled from, but scroll a bit further and you'll see where I'm going....

If I am going to have to be all:

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

giphy.gif

Then I best be getting / seeing / feeling like:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

This game is way fast paced. Charge mechanics need to really pay off if they're going to dare to show their face when one shot from a pistol can take out most... everythings

Lotus: "Tenno, that large, inter-stellar, troop transport is about to get away!"

Us: "*Pulls out standard issue -though fully modded- Lato* *Fires one round that grazes the hull in a heavily armored, non critical location*"

Troop transport: "*pop*".

^Mild Hyperbole^  ...or... thoroughly accurate? It's been a minute since I've used a Lato, so you tell me.

The Ultimate:

The change to the ultimate damage mechanics doesn't bother me so much, depending on how it actually performs once I get my hands on it. It looked boring in the stream.

After setting them on fire, they seemed to burn for a really long time... like the type of warm, gentle fire one might roast chestnuts over. And Scott's like "if they weren't stationary, they would run around and spread the fire."

I'm still over here feeling like this ultimate should leave behind smoldering piles of ash on impact, but... we'll see. Maybe that's what Vauban's ultimate does, and we couldn't have such a blatant reskin.

Though thematically, I find it strange that Ember apparently summons meteors. Technically, meteors aren't intrinsically "heat" or "fire," they are ROCKS that become hot as they careen through the atmosphere being heated by friction. So Ember's power set now involves earth-bending, which she uses to drag rocks out of orbit to smash her enemies with. Frankly that seems more up atlas's alley.

Plus the whole "works indoors" means she's also acquired some spatial magic to open portals for her earth-bent space rocks. And she has a TREMENDOUS range, as the relatively tiny atmosphere contained in a ship/facility would be insufficient to heat the meteors as seen, so she first bends them toward a planet with a suitable atmosphere for pre-heating and then portals them from said atmosphere into the ship/station before they strike the ground.

If she was a bit more:

tumblr_njkr3nbsaB1rqrq7ho1_500.gif

That would be preferable... but, this is a nitpick... I guess... My immersion is like "I'm dying over here!" but... it's fine.

giphy.gif

And, of course, we could not have such a long (and thus fabulous) casting animation as that, but the current meteor summoning animation paired with great orbs of -pure- fire (no crunchy centers) spawning from the ether and obliterating the enemy would totally work.

So generally, I shall miss my lazy world on fire for the "run through" map clearings of day-to-day, not-so-hard content, but overall, (assuming this energy penalty thing isn't silly) this rework seems quite interesting and I look forward to trying it. But not to having to probably completely re-forma my build.

Booben will have to wait his turn. As I said, he should really be waiting in a completely separate thread dedicated to his separate rework... but whatever. I shall fill another page of this thread for him too... maybe.

I think fewer gifs will be required to illustrate my thoughts on him... but no promises.

Also, after composing this at the end of my consciousness cycle, I need a rest. And if you've read this whole thing, dear reader, you probably do too.

I dont know embers gameplay arc yet but i get the feeling that fireball will be a big part of it. What worries me about that is even after some buffs to the stats and some animation clean up is that it'll still feel unsatisfying and to out of the way to use comfortablely.

I second @Wakeoflover regarding both the mixing of the ember/Vauban threads and the pace-killing hold-button abilities.

I worry that this rework will turn Ember in another Garuda, great concept but actually not fun to play and abilities that take longer to use than it's worth.

Ember WOF was a lot of fun because in a mass-shootet it killed weaker units allowing the player to use focus on the stronger enemies with high damage, low fire rate weapons, while keeping constantly on the move to avoid bullets, it was one of the most dynamic and fun playstyles in the game.

My only concerns are mine layer and immolation.

mine layer’s boost pad is nothing more than a meme ability. I just don’t see it ever being useful for anything other than trolling. Does it knock back enemies? How is this any different than bounce but In only one direction? It was brought up that this ability could be casted multiple times in row to keep a player moving, Why not just save us the multiple energy costs and give the boost pad a Sprint speed boost for a small duration instead of a single push?

nail gun and ripline could be useful. But it all depends on nail gun’s damage/range and ripline’s effective range when a single enemy sets it off. If his other 3 mines can’t compete with the damage boost, they probably won’t see much use at all.

as for immolation, why does there have to be an energy penalty? Why not just let the ability reset after heating up? Or better yet, have no penalty and have the ability continually drain, meaning that players have to be active to keep the meter up rather than having to keep using her 3 to cool down, similar to gauss when redline is active. If guass had a penalty like this that limited his ability casts and play style, he’d be a lot less fun to play. 

also, did you have to get rid of accelerant? It was her best ability. I’d rather you have scrapped fire blast and kept accelerant.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much looking forward to Vauban and ember’s reworks. The rest of their kits do look potentially promising. Scaling damage, reworked heat procs, armor stripping cc, ect. I do see this as an overall improvement for vauban, but for ember it all depends on the fire proc changes and immolation’s penalty and meter build up rate. Aspects of her rework I enjoy, but losing accelerant hurts a bit, while the heat proc changes are nice I worry that they will be doing most of the work, and immolation’s penalty could make her less fun to play. I hope you guys get her right. You’ve done a wonderful job with the last few frame releases being some of my favorites. Keep up the good work.

hmm, i would have prefered to exchange embers 1st to something like a mid-range flamerthrower (toggleable) which uses energy like her 4th does now atm. even though the 'charging' of the fireball sounds nice at first, it's rather impractical in a fast moving game like warframe... that goes for about every other frame that uses a chargeable ability that isn't for static uses too.

her new 3rd, though definitively usefull (if the armor-stripping works fast enough to be of any practical use) seems to be of only medicore range... which puts our rather flimsy ember even more at risk if we can't prevent enemies from hurting us while closing in - something you already done to her with the last rework when you changed to the rediculous new wof system that took away her long-range cc-usefullness (in combination with the wof-augmentation, that is). with now accelerant gone, the only other cc-ability will now go away too...

well, i will reserve my final judgement for after i tested her - though i guess, i once again will have to find a totally new way of playing her (which might not be bad, since i rarely played her after the last rework anymore).

ah yes, like said here:

On 2019-10-04 at 9:37 PM, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN said:

Her 3 should suck enemies IN not knock them back.  This would work extremely well after you hit people with your 4 which makes enemies spread fire to other nearby enemies.   And 4 causes your heat guage to jump up which means you need to use 3 afterwards..   I guess thats the point... Light em on fire and then send them flying so they light other enemies on fire...  But I would rather suck everything together so that its all burning while im beating stuff to death with melee. 

even though 'blasting' enemies away is more logical than sucking them together in an implosion, it sure is counterproductive for embers other new abilities... except, ofc, when not... so maybe give us both? implosion/explosion depending on either holding the ability-key (though, like i said above, i'm not a huge fan of those time intensive 'holding' of trigger-buttons) or toggle them like ivars arrows...

even though i like the fx from her 4th, i think losing her 360° AoE is even worse that what you did to her old 4th after the last rework. though i might misunderstood the "enemies is sight" part of it with 'only enemies that we see'. not affecting enemies behind wall/roofs/floors/covers is ok with me, and i would have been fine if you had just changed that in the last rework (since i used embers wof to prevent enemies for firing at me while i meleed them, lying on the floor from the firequake augmentation)... if now, i have to worry about ranged enemies behind me, who sees and attack me while i'm not affecting them with the new 4th, then i sure hope her new fire-armor does a lot of DR... else flimy ember might have a lot trouble in most combat situations. but again, i'll reserve my judgement for after i can test her.

it is unfortunate that Accelerant is being removed, I really liked that ability for the CC and support it brought to the group in boosting the Heat damage of other squad members. I personally would like to see the new reworked version merge the ability that replaced Accelerant (Immolation) with Fire Blast since Fire Blast is using the same meter as a resource to boost the ability even more while still keeping Accelerant for the group support/CC that it has been providing (which is made even better with the current augment, to grant allies heat damage on their attacks so they could make use of the debuff if they didnt have it already while also increasing their casting speed.) 

I was personally hoping that when reworked, Accelerant would be changed to also affect damage types that are mixed with Heat (Gas, Radiation and Blast) but to a lesser effect, so it was still useful for the others, but not useless if mixed.

Please reconsider removing Accelerant

Yes, it's a pity that she's losing Accelerant right when heat damage might become more popular and useful.

Also, I think i found what troubles me about her 4: now she has two "kill what's in front of you" abilities, but you have weapons to do that.

It seems to work only on massed groups and has the effect of dispersing enemies further.

Where would I use this ability? Hydron? Plains?

As expected complaints, and most are over world on fire. Go play Octavia, equinox, or banshee they all do the same crap more efficiently.

Personally, I'm happy ember got something unique. The only thing that would make this cooler is if panic instead of making them wave their arms standing in place, made em run around. So it can help spread the burn.

Also I'm glad they made fireball scale in damage but charge mechanics suck on squishy frames. I wish the devs would consider this!

I mean mag is the only thing I can compare and I use mag's 1 alot... But during ult I can die, just by casting it and that ult CC's everything inside of it? So like, ember is barely stronger defensively than mag (she can't give herself overshields even) and doesn't have radial cc outside of her 3 which is slow and low range; so realistically when will she have time to charge a fireball?

I think the devs idea for fireball will only work if she can move while charging it. It would just be better to let her throw them auto if u hold down the button, and can still move while casting. However none of this matters if a gun shot does more damage and has the same utility as her first skill. See the reason is use mag's one still is cause it drags enemies to me and my bubbles. If ember's fireball just does damage < redeemer/primary gun damage. What's the point of it? Maybe let the charged version pull enemies in? Who knows but, fireball is really aweful.

What I also thought was a weird choice is that new fire procs will now strip armor. I recently had a discussion with a fellow player about how many different things they could have done with fire, since there's already a bunch of ways to reduce armor. Like make each tick do current hp% damage!

We already have shattering impact, corrosive aura, and corrosive procs that strip armor so fast it makes you question why anything was given armor to begin with. Also we have toxic(gas) and slash as stacking dots that stack ontop of themselves and deals with sheilds? Slash specifically does high damage against flesh too. Flames burn more intense the more fuel there is, so why not just let flames stronger the more health an enemy has? Maybe people would use fireball too so they can use a different element on their primary?

I mean I'm not really a vet or anything but these design choices are very interesting. 

On 2019-10-04 at 8:06 PM, [DE]Connor said:

With these changes, players will take a more active role in “bringing the heat” to all that stand in their way

That right there is a problem. Allow me to explain Ember's current role and why her passive gameplay is badly needed in the current state of the game.

Warframe has a boredom problem. There's a ton of missions that players want to do for their rewards but that are so low-level that they present no challenge whatsoever to even middling players, let alone veterans, and that are therefore very boring to do. The longer they take and the more player involvement they require, the less fun they are. That's where current Ember comes in. She's been nerfed into the ground, so she can't do high-level content, but she's excellent for quickly finishing a low-level exterminate by just beelining to the exit without ever stopping to shoot or for doing a low-level defense by just standing on the target and browsing Reddit on the phone while everything that approaches dies automatically.

Now you might think that's a problem, but it's really not. The fact that the mission is boring is the problem. Ember's passive gameplay is a band-aid to the problem, it makes those boring missions more bearable by allowing players to finish them quickly while mentally and physically disengaging from them. I appreciate the fact that real solutions are preferable to band-aids, but this rework doesn't offer a real solution to the actual problem, all it does is remove the band-aid. In other words, by removing Ember's passive gameplay and forcing players to engage more actively and for a longer period of time with content that is boring and unfun, you're going to make the game a worse experience overall.

Without making substantial changes to the mission and reward structure of the game, the best thing you can do for Ember and the game as a whole is leave Ember alone to continue serving in her boredom-minimizing band-aid role.

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

That right there is a problem. Allow me to explain Ember's current role and why her passive gameplay is badly needed in the current state of the game.

Can you explain how no other frame can stand afk at point besides ember and kill stuff. Because I believe there are enough frames (equinox, banshee, octavia, gara) that can just pretty much afk at low level content and do way more efficiently than current ember ever could. A 7.5meter aoe that costs 3^n-1 energy per second wasn't really clearing low level content faster and with less effort than anyone else. 

I will agree with you tho that it's tiresome running boring low level content over and over and over cause most higher level content is just plain unrewarding. But to say ember was needed to do that, laugh. I guess u just have to select from the other frames that can also do it?

35 minutes ago, Marinara19 said:

Can you explain how no other frame can stand afk at point besides ember and kill stuff. Because I believe there are enough frames (equinox, banshee, octavia, gara) that can just pretty much afk at low level content and do way more efficiently than current ember ever could. A 7.5meter aoe that costs 3^n-1 energy per second wasn't really clearing low level content faster and with less effort than anyone else. 

I will agree with you tho that it's tiresome running boring low level content over and over and over cause most higher level content is just plain unrewarding. But to say ember was needed to do that, laugh. I guess u just have to select from the other frames that can also do it?

Sure, the explanation is simply that Ember is the most passive out of all those options. You literally just press one button once and then everything around you dies automatically unless your energy runs out (which, with the right build, it won't). Every other frame you mentioned requires pressing some buttons once in a while. Also, complaining about Ember's 7.5-meter AoE and suggesting Gara's 2.5-meter AoE as a better alternative? Lol.

Yes, to say that Ember is necessary for running low-level content would be laughable. That's why I didn't say that. I said that Ember is the most convenient for it because she requires the least player engagement, which is a good thing when the player is engaging with content that isn't fun.

5 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

You literally just press one button once and then everything around you dies automatically unless your energy runs out (which, with the right build, it won't). Every other frame you mentioned requires pressing some buttons once in a while. 

Garas range is 2.5 (without range mods) but only when specters FORGET specters exist... Which are cheap to make, and that her 2nd skill can be cast on them, and her ult refreshes all of em, and that the damage on all of them can be  increased exponentially, and the fact that you can regain energy with all of em on because it's not a toggle so u don't even have to pick up energy orbs, and increase the duration damn near 60seconds... That means you only have to do someone once every 55seoncds?

I would ask you how u get world on fire to stay without doing anything, but it wouldn't matter I tossed ember in the trash because she is useless at everything. Even at pressing one button and standing still. But yeah even gara does her ult better than her.

9 minutes ago, Marinara19 said:

you only have to do someone once every 55seoncds

That's still far more often than "never".

10 minutes ago, Marinara19 said:

I would ask you how u get world on fire to stay without doing anything, but it wouldn't matter I tossed ember in the trash because she is useless at everything.

'Kay.

1 hour ago, SordidDreams said:

That's still far more often than "never".

There's nothing where ember "never" runs out if energy without doing anything at all, and if u do nothing for long enough you'll go idle. Also missions where enemies scale will see her 4 useless in a matter if a few waves where other frames like her don't have this issue, and her range is limited.

Your argument thusfar is that she good at something so she's shouldn't change, the content should change first. My argument is she's not good at anything, so she should be changed AND content should be changed as well; I agree with u that difficult content isn't worth the effort vs reward right now. It's okay to disagree but if everything is consistent up until "I can't believe u mentioned gara" makes this whole back and forth pointless, as your argument was flimsy to begin with. 

I'll go ahead and say ignis (the weapon itself) prolly out does ember in extermination missions as well cause u can hit things through walls, and it costs no energy at all, and can be used by frames that move faster than ember. Will you disagree with this statement as well?

Really there's legit no reason to keep ember the way she is now, at all. 

3 hours ago, Marinara19 said:

There's nothing where ember "never" runs out if energy without doing anything at all, and if u do nothing for long enough you'll go idle. Also missions where enemies scale will see her 4 useless in a matter if a few waves where other frames like her don't have this issue, and her range is limited.

Your argument thusfar is that she good at something so she's shouldn't change, the content should change first. My argument is she's not good at anything, so she should be changed AND content should be changed as well; I agree with u that difficult content isn't worth the effort vs reward right now. It's okay to disagree but if everything is consistent up until "I can't believe u mentioned gara" makes this whole back and forth pointless, as your argument was flimsy to begin with. 

I'll go ahead and say ignis (the weapon itself) prolly out does ember in extermination missions as well cause u can hit things through walls, and it costs no energy at all, and can be used by frames that move faster than ember. Will you disagree with this statement as well?

Really there's legit no reason to keep ember the way she is now, at all. 

Sure, I do move occasionally to pick up energy, but that goes for every other frame also, and you could use something like Dethcube + Arcane Energize to boost your energy economy a lot. Missions where enemies scale in any kind of significant way are specifically not what I was talking about, so that point is irrelevant.

My argument is that Ember is good at mitigating boredom in boring missions by allowing the player to not focus on the game, which none of the other frames you mentioned do anywhere near as well.

Of course I disagree that the Ignis outdoes Ember at minimizing player engagement, because you have to hold the button down and actively aim in the direction of enemies. Ember doesn't need to do that. Also, Ember's fire goes through walls, Ignis doesn't anymore. Also, if you're using Ignis with Ember, you're doing it wrong. Her weapon is an augmented Penta.

I have already explained the reason quite clearly.

TO PC PLAYERS, I want you to remember this for when the reworks get in to your hands... Lets see if DE actually taken our feedback in consideration or they will just ship out what was shown on the dev-stream. I would like to be wrong but after the nezha, titania and nyx changes, once they show visual abilities they won`t change it. Lets see if they can prove me wrong. (I damn well bloody hope so)

Ember's ultimate is far too similar to vauban's orbital strike and thematically jarring... why use a reskinned asset when you could just rip off Sargas Ruck own ultimate, that was ripped off Ember's 1.0 version? It's much cooler (hotter?) to see and more interesting, whith both aimed damage and aoe crowd control

Archived