Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Troll_Logic

Can we just stop with the "trash rivens?" Does anyone ever fall for that?

Does anyone think "I want a riven of the hot new weapon.  I know people are offering 600p for anything.  I know what I'll do.  I'll offer to pay 50p for a 'trash riven' that has terrible stats.  That riven is worthless with those stats."

Does it ever work?  

I don't see people offering 50p for trash acceltra rivens and if they are they are heavily likely not getting it unless they find that one person out of a million that unveiled an acceltra riven and has no idea lots of people want it and are willing to pay hundreds to thousands of plat for it.  

Do people buy/sell Rivens for good weapons for cheap because their stats are bad? Yeah, unless you're finding a particularly questionable trader you'll find those to be far cheaper than average rolls and more so compared to god rolls. But regardless of the current roll it is expected that they're base value is far higher than other weapons, after all getting the Riven in the first place is actually the hard part.

Just looking at recent adverts for the Acceltra shows sell offers ranging from 4,800 to 900 plat or even the Fulmin, despite it's recent nerf, still has listings fom 3,000 to 750 plat.

3 minutes ago, Aldain said:

All rivens are scams and trash at any price past 20-50 plat.

^^^This all day, every day!!

3 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

^^^This all day, every day!!

So you would sell a cc, cd, multishot, -zoom lanka riven for 50p?  Oh right probably wouldn't do that.  Just because you think nothing should be worth more than 50p doesn't mean there aren't people willing to shell out thousands for a specific riven roll for some weapon.  

il y a une heure, Troll_Logic a dit :

Does it ever work?  

Probably not, most of the time. Unless the price asked is waaaay above average for a given "hot" new riven, if they don't accept it, someone else will. They can try to negociate, but if their offer is too low, again someone will still probably outbid them before they can finalize the trade.

Anyways, it doesn't cost anything to try.

47 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

So you would sell a cc, cd, multishot, -zoom lanka riven for 50p?  Oh right probably wouldn't do that.  Just because you think nothing should be worth more than 50p doesn't mean there aren't people willing to shell out thousands for a specific riven roll for some weapon.  

Nope.  I would just give it away because I don't have time or the patience to deal with trade chat.  Just as I do with all the other rivens for weapons i don't plan on using.   It's just a mod.  No mod should ever cost more than the weapon it's going on.  You wouldn't pay more the tires for a car than the car itself would you. Same logic. 

54 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

This. I would never buy a baseball card. At all. But that doesnt mean some of the rare ones arent worth anything, or that I have some high ground to tell collectors that they're idiots or that the whole concept is a "scam".

9 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Nope.  I would just give it away because I don't have time or the patience to deal with trade chat.  Just as I do with all the other rivens for weapons i don't plan on using.   It's just a mod.  No mod should ever cost more than the weapon it's going on.  You wouldn't pay more the tires for a car than the car itself would you. Same logic. 

That metaphor is a false equivalency.

Rivens are worth potentially so much more than their weapons because of the rarity for good rolls. Every tiberon prime set that anyone has for sale is identical but the same cannot be said for their rivens.

You're also using your personal, subjective feeling about rivens/trade chat to make blanket statements about their worth and that logic ain't exactly ironclad.

14 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

You're also using your personal, subjective feeling about rivens/trade chat to make blanket statements about their worth

I never said that I wasn't.  I gave my reasons and my logic for it.  I never once said that it should be that way for everyone else.  i consider rivens just as they are.  An attachment for a tool.  it's worthless without the tool, and even more so if you don't plan to use said tool.  If someone else wants to spend $200 or more on a mod, then they can do it.  Just don't expect me to be one of them.  

I will end this post with an old phrase.  "A Fool and his money are soon parted."  

Edit:  Interesting that all I did was agree with someone else's post.  Yet I get quoted and the original quote doesn't.  Kick Rocks with no socks. 

11 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

This. I would never buy a baseball card. At all. But that doesnt mean some of the rare ones arent worth anything, or that I have some high ground to tell collectors that they're idiots or that the whole concept is a "scam".

That metaphor is a false equivalency.

Rivens are worth potentially so much more than their weapons because of the rarity for good rolls. Every tiberon prime set that anyone has for sale is identical but the same cannot be said for their rivens.

You're also using your personal, subjective feeling about rivens/trade chat to make blanket statements about their worth and that logic ain't exactly ironclad.

This.  Rivens are usually unique and the odds for a good roll are small.  The odds of obtaining a prime weapon set if you try to assemble all the pieces by cracking relics?  Quite high, it's why frame and weapon prices are so cheap now that and so many unvaultings all the time so even if a frame is vaulted or a weapon odds are high it will be unvaulted especially if it's worth a lot on the secondary market.  

$200 for a riven?  Try $0.  A lot of people, myself included, have grinded out thousands to tens of thousands of plat without spending a dime on this game.  Yet I've spent 5K plat on a riven before.  You can't equate platinum to real money in this game when it's so easy to make platinum if you have stuff to sell and time to burn posting in trade chat.  The riven I listed above wouldn't even take much effort to sell unless you asked for a truly exorbitant sum.  You could post it for 2K platinum and it would be gone in seconds as people spammed you with invites or PMs saying I'll buy it or some equivalent.  Just don't be surprised if whoever you sold it to reposted it for more then double what you sold it to them for.  

1 minute ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

You can't equate platinum to real money in this game when it's so easy to make platinum if you have stuff to sell and time to burn posting in trade chat.

And where exactly do you think plat comes from.  Plat is bought with real money and put into circulation in the game for trading.  There are a very few exceptions being when DE has plat giveaways.  That plat that you say you got for free just happened to cost someone real life currency.  This is no secret.

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

And where exactly do you think plat comes from.  Plat is bought with real money and put into circulation in the game for trading.  There are a very few exceptions being when DE has plat giveaways.  That plat that you say you got for free just happened to cost someone real life currency.  This is no secret.

Yes it did cost someone, somewhere, real life money.  That someone not being myself I don't care.  People can spend real life money however the heck they choose to whether it's a slab of bacon or prime access for atlas.  Now if I was actually going into the store and buying 5K platinum off their store with real life money I'd have to be quite wealthy to just throw 5K platinum at a riven.  Since that isn't the case though it's meaningless.  There is millions upon millions of plat in circulation at this point though across all platforms that isn't disappearing because there really isn't a good plat sink for it in the market for people who have tens of thousands of plat to hundreds of thousands to millions.  Like the last plat sink they introduced was aura forma, and if you buy an aura forma for every unique frame in the game it costs less then 3500 platinum.  If you buy them all in bundle form then it costs just under 2400 platinum.  Pretty small number when people exist who have hundreds of thousands of plat on their account.  

50 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Interesting that all I did was agree with someone else's post.  Yet I get quoted and the original quote doesn't.  Kick Rocks with no socks.

Sorry about that, I have no idea why but that seems to happen a lot with my posts.

But yeah for the overall record, I don't think other people should consider Rivens as pointless as I do either, it is just that I don't feel that anyone who invests this much time, effort and emotional energy in something that has had a disclaimer that they would change every 3-4 months should be surprised considering the common knowledge that they would be changed and adjusted.

You want a trash riven, here's one: lesionriven.jpg

EDIT: and even though I'm never going to equip it, I still can't bear to throw it out because I love the Lesion so much.

8 hours ago, Aldain said:

Cool story but the people that actually believe this don't buy rivens to begin with and also don't play public.

12 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

No logic at all, you’re comparing a car to a video game character. It’s just an awkward metaphor you’re using to justify your personal bias.

Both condition overload and maiming strike sell for higher than a lot of prime frames.

You’re entirely justified in not liking rivens, you just don’t need to act righteous about it.

12 hours ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

This.  Rivens are usually unique and the odds for a good roll are small.  The odds of obtaining a prime weapon set if you try to assemble all the pieces by cracking relics?  Quite high, it's why frame and weapon prices are so cheap now that and so many unvaultings all the time so even if a frame is vaulted or a weapon odds are high it will be unvaulted especially if it's worth a lot on the secondary market.  

$200 for a riven?  Try $0.  A lot of people, myself included, have grinded out thousands to tens of thousands of plat without spending a dime on this game.  Yet I've spent 5K plat on a riven before.  You can't equate platinum to real money in this game when it's so easy to make platinum if you have stuff to sell and time to burn posting in trade chat.  The riven I listed above wouldn't even take much effort to sell unless you asked for a truly exorbitant sum.  You could post it for 2K platinum and it would be gone in seconds as people spammed you with invites or PMs saying I'll buy it or some equivalent.  Just don't be surprised if whoever you sold it to reposted it for more then double what you sold it to them for.  

Yeah and a lot of people both here and in game dont seem to understand that. I see things like "omg I cant believe someone would ask 200+ dollars (or whatever it is) for x riven". Plat isnt that hard to make in this game. Some vaulted prime sets, some arcanes if you farm eidolons, buying rivens with bad stats and rerolling and selling them when you get a decent roll, or whatever else.

12 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

I never said that I wasn't.  I gave my reasons and my logic for it.  I never once said that it should be that way for everyone else.  i consider rivens just as they are.  An attachment for a tool.  it's worthless without the tool, and even more so if you don't plan to use said tool.  If someone else wants to spend $200 or more on a mod, then they can do it.  Just don't expect me to be one of them.  

I will end this post with an old phrase.  "A Fool and his money are soon parted."  

Edit:  Interesting that all I did was agree with someone else's post.  Yet I get quoted and the original quote doesn't.  Kick Rocks with no socks. <that's some quality salt right there

Telling someone something isnt worth anything because you personally don't like it is giving them bad advice.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

No logic at all, you’re comparing a car to a video game character. It’s just an awkward metaphor you’re using to justify your personal bias.

Both condition overload and maiming strike sell for higher than a lot of prime frames.

You’re entirely justified in not liking rivens, you just don’t need to act righteous about it.

This. I dont care if its baseball cards/cars/guns or anything else people collect. "What something is worth" should be estimated by "how much could you reasonably expect to get for it".

"Its worth nothing because I personally dont like it" is just bad advice.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

Yeah and a lot of people both here and in game dont seem to understand that. I see things like "omg I cant believe someone would ask 200+ dollars (or whatever it is) for x riven". Plat isnt that hard to make in this game. Some vaulted prime sets, some arcanes if you farm eidolons, buying rivens with bad stats and rerolling and selling them when you get a decent roll, or whatever else.

Where it came from is irrelevant. You're still blowing $200 on a single mod.

6 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

Cool story but the people that actually believe this don't buy rivens to begin with and also don't play public.

You're right on one count in my case, however I do play public though I never buy Rivens (I have sold a few for 20-40 plat however).

The thing about Rivens is that I don't need them to make things work, I also believe they are a band-aid to the actual weapon balance problem that doesn't work well enough to solve the issue in gaps of base damage capabilities.

A Stug will be a Stug no matter what Riven you place on it.

25 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Where it came from is irrelevant. You're still blowing $200 on a single mod.

It's extremely relevant, because last I checked you can't cash out your platinum for real money (unless you're doing some real shady stuff). If you earned "$200 worth of plat" from trading and didn't spend any actual money to acquire it, then you're not blowing any money on that single mod. If you're not spending money to get plat, then you're not spending any money when you spend that plat either, because there's no way for you to actually get the real money that the plat was purchased with. You can make the argument that you're blowing the equivalent of 200 warframe slots (20 plat is roughly $1 without discounts, right?) or something, but even then, if you want that riven more than 200 warframe slots, go right ahead.

This isn't a knock against players who do regularly buy plat (whether they're rich enough that it just doesn't matter to them or they just love supporting the game). It's only because of them that f2p or low-spending players even have the opportunity to get the plat you need to actually experience the game fully or buy stuff on the market if you want.

15 hours ago, Aldain said:

In a game like Warframe, personal value for equipment and loot has no price. Riven value is highly opinionated as compared to duplicate cosmetic/gear items. If I just love X weapon, and I want X weapon to be as powerful and unique as it can be, the value of the Riven Mod I purchase for X weapon is based on sentimental value. At this point, I could spend 5,10,15,18 thousand Platinum, and I can still argue I was not "scammed". Rivens can never be a scam if the buyer enjoys the roll past predefined market observation.

You can always get more Platinum, but some Riven rolls are one of a kind and almost impossible to duplicate. It can take years before you find a specific Riven Mod depending on your personal search criteria.