Feature Request - Forma Polarities

laney_family

17 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

Two questions for the OP, or I guess anyone who wanted to answer tbf:

1. Is there a particular reason not to have those slots the same 'universal' type as Aura Formas on regular slots? They seem to be functionally equivalent, just with less fuss about picking the polarity. And,

2. Do you think it would be more beneficial to have Forma stack, so the flexibility of a slot is proportional to the Forma investment? I kind of feel like throwing just one Forma on and getting any polarity to be a bit too easy, especially when an Aura Forma does a similar thing and requires a 4 Forma investment. I also feel that, given it's likely far more people would stack Forma, the extra Forma investment could make up for the lack of duplicates and re-Formaing. (Re-Forma-ing? Verb form does not compute...)

Side-note, but for the second question, it could be that stacking all polarities on a slot turns it into a universal polarity and gives the mod slot border a little flair. Not that I want to make @Steel_Rook spend the rest of their life Forma stacking all their gear to gold portrait status...

To answer the first question, another forma type that applied a simi universal polarity that accepts Madurai, Vazarin, Naramon and Zenurik would work fine.  I would want to be sure that Umbra is not covered by that new forma to preserve balance.  If this reused the polarity as Aura that would be fine too.  To your point yes functionality wise its six to one half dozen to the other. 

The reason I suggested making it where the polarity becomes flexible is to retain the use of the original polarities importance and not undermining the original setup but rather to add new functionality.  The process of going in and changing the polarity to match what you need rather than the slot just taking everything (those original four) all the time may be desirable or intrusive, that would need to be vetted out on the player base as to which is more desirable.

On the second point, I see where you are going with this, and while that would allow for the flexibility to change slots, it would also complicate a somewhat simple concept.  Now we need up to 24 potential indicators for the permutations of how the forma was applied to a slot, compared to just selecting the slot and changing its polarity.  New players getting started will need to figure this out as well.

7 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Well, if that's how it works then I definitely wouldn't bother. [snip]

I mean, it was a (bad) joke. 😛 I was suggesting that polarities would stack, and if a mod slot ended up getting all the polarities available for the item, it could have a little border flair as a "reward".

Though being a little more serious, slots could get different flairs on their borders to signify how many polarities are assigned to it.

I don't disagree with the rest on Aura forma and the worth of multi-polarized slots.

6 hours ago, laney_family said:

On the second point, I see where you are going with this, and while that would allow for the flexibility to change slots, it would also complicate a somewhat simple concept.  Now we need up to 24 potential indicators for the permutations of how the forma was applied to a slot, compared to just selecting the slot and changing its polarity.  New players getting started will need to figure this out as well.

I have to kind of wonder if it really would be that much more complicated, though, at least compared to what we already have. The functional difference is that it adds a polarity to a slot, rather than changes a slot's polarity. This could be indicated just by stacking the polarity indicators of a slot going right-to-left, of which there should be enough room to fit all of them (and, if not, a second row should fit well enough, as rare as that would be). As long as the highlighting can still target the indicator properly like it does now, I don't see it being any more complex than what we have, or even looking terribly different aside from the end result.

If anything, I see the idea of adding a Forma and getting to change the polarity of a slot as more complex, because then players not only have to throw the Forma on, but also likely go through some other UI to set the slot's polarity. That's not much more complex, granted, but it would be an extra thing for players to fuss through, no?

Also, regarding "universal" not including Umbra: that was what I had in mind. If they ever add an Umbral aura mod, I would hope they'd do something similar as well.

9 minutes ago, Exodus3v5 said:

I really like this idea. Especially if it was easy to implement like a blueprint for a "Polarity Plus Forma" that just uses 2 of the normal forma to make + Orokin Cell/Argon Crystal/etc

How about instead of relevling all these forma slots all over again with a new type of forma, we get a blueprint for a forma upgrade. Then you take that upgrade module and apply it to a previously forma'd slot. It can be a bit expensive too. Something like:

1 Forma

10k Kuva

200 Ducats

20 Argon

100k credits

I think that's steep enough that people won't generally spam them, but cheap enough to be a viable endgame min-max feature.

1 minute ago, FrostDragoon said:

How about instead of relevelling all these forma slots all over again with a new type of forma, we get a blueprint for a forma upgrade. Then you take that upgrade module and apply it to a previously forma'd slot.

I like that idea much better, definitely an addition to what we have already instead of replacement 🙂

On 2019-10-10 at 8:58 AM, FrostDragoon said:

I can just make small compromises to said builds instead

While its not game changing, this is part of why I suggest this.  At the point of the game where we are really using forma heavy and making focused builds we have already put in a fair amount of time; time spent grinding, farming, gathering, building and spending plat/cred's.  I find it frustrating at that point of the game we need to make these kind of compromises over something so basic.  Thanks for the feedback.

On 2019-10-11 at 3:52 AM, FrostDragoon said:

How about instead of relevling all these forma slots all over again with a new type of forma, we get a blueprint for a forma upgrade. Then you take that upgrade module and apply it to a previously forma'd slot. It can be a bit expensive too. Something like:

I agree, some type of Add on forma that would unlock the remaining polarities after a forma has been applied would fit the needs as well.  Cant say I agree with the proposed recipe though.

Would avoid using Ducats as so far that is only used in a recipe for a story-line item.  I would also limit the argon to 6, that is double any other current argon recipe in the game.  Completely agree that this would need a forma in the recipe, and kuva and agree on the credit cost, all those sounds reasonable with the adjust to removing the ducats and lowering the argon.

• 2 weeks later...

With the upcoming change to primary and secondary weapons I think this request would be even more desired.  Our loadouts will potentially be changing with mods moving to the new slot allowing more configurations that may need to change up the formal polarities.  Same goes with melee and channeling changes.  I'm really hoping this gets some more traction.

On 2019-10-13 at 8:18 AM, laney_family said:

While its not game changing, this is part of why I suggest this.  At the point of the game where we are really using forma heavy and making focused builds we have already put in a fair amount of time; time spent grinding, farming, gathering, building and spending plat/cred's.  I find it frustrating at that point of the game we need to make these kind of compromises over something so basic.  Thanks for the feedback.

I agree, some type of Add on forma that would unlock the remaining polarities after a forma has been applied would fit the needs as well.  Cant say I agree with the proposed recipe though.

Would avoid using Ducats as so far that is only used in a recipe for a story-line item.  I would also limit the argon to 6, that is double any other current argon recipe in the game.  Completely agree that this would need a forma in the recipe, and kuva and agree on the credit cost, all those sounds reasonable with the adjust to removing the ducats and lowering the argon.

The Argon is easy enough to get either way. I can get like 20 in an hour or so if I wanted. The ducats are more relevant, imo, because the recipe represents playing a variety of end-game content/activities to contribute to this upgrade. However, I was more proposing the concept than hard and fast dictating what should precisely go into it.

Archived