Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BombtailsTheFox

The true nature of the Infestation, and two disturbing implications.

You know... Considering that this nightwave's season is about to end, i started thinking about Arlo, and i'm starting to get a disturbing picture.

Arlo and Kenga getting people to show a gift (being a bless), the infestation giving them said gift masked as a "false" bless , people turning into a cult willing to inflict terror, infiltration and terrorism across the origin system by weaponizing infested derelicts, infested actually using special tools to turn themself into undying flesh machines, and the Zealoid Prelate actually being able to speak, despite being an infested...

You know what? It all makes sense now: The Infestation is more tricky and uncanny that it seems to be. First, it gives people a sort of "cure" that eats other diseases, so that it can give a false illusion of being cured, giving people a reason to get said gift, and creating a loop... Then,  the same cure that healed you, starts to unwrap its true nature and makes you a fanatic with the desire to murder anyone in the process and deal the same infection. And last, give the infestation enchanted tools that makes the infested into immune monsters.

Credits given to this plan, Kenga, Arlo and the infestation played a massive role, unleashing a scheme to create a legion of devotees that could wreck havoc upon the origin system by sending Infested Derelicts as crash course weapons, while the three (especially the infestation) could study them as an experiment to evolve and crush the planets on their flesh claws. And considering that the Sentients are ready to invade the entire origin system, that's a massive problem that the Tenno aren't probably realizing yet..

But now, it leads to two disturbing thoughts. Imagine if the infestation deployed its "cure" on unaware Nidus, making them their own parasite spreaders to infect everything (Corpus, Grineers and Tenno alike, or even other infested, sentients, and the corrupted from the void), and giving the other Warframes a seemingly harmless cyst with said "cure" that would be either used for an Helminth Charger or purged in their infested room. Imagine if Zealoid Bastions started to aid Lephantis, Phorid, Jordas Golem and the Plague Star, giving them the same "cure" to spread, and making them unkillable, unless the Arlo's Flame is used against them.

Considering that both of them are disturbing, scary, eerie and frightening implications, and that neither of the two are good at all... I fear that the infestation, being an intelligent virus that we thought it wasn't, could even surpass Warframe themself, even at the point of creating their own Warframes with its "cure", for the sake of spreading it to everyone, and making them fight the operator-controlled ones.

37 minutes ago, BombtailsTheFox said:

But now, it leads to two disturbing thoughts. Imagine if the infestation deployed its "cure" on unaware Nidus, making them their own parasite spreaders to infect everything (Corpus, Grineers and Tenno alike, or even other infested, sentients, and the corrupted from the void), and giving the other Warframes a seemingly harmless cyst with said "cure" that would be either used for an Helminth Charger or purged in their infested room

Lore wise that cannot possibly happen.

Frames are already infested units as even in the game it is explained that under the exterior bio armor, only an "infested puppet" can be found and the infestation cannot "convert" them as they have nothing to work with. Frames are infested of a special variant under our control that cannot contaminate. Only a partial success was achieved by Alad V and we took care of that. Unless the infestation has beyond genius type intellect to replicate what Alad chan has done, we're safe. Deviousness and treachery alone won't be nearly enough to snatch our frames from us.

Tenno are supposed to be the "beyond" every wildest power trip you can come up with. They literally use powers that makes a mockery of the laws of the universe (frames powers come from Tenno iirc and they provide the juice to use them despite the fact that, in game, frames have their own energy pool) and even the infestation on the ship clearly states they "fear nothing but the demons of the void". In terms of mechanic and balance we cannot vaporize everything but the Tenno beam alone should be more than enough to tear apart everyone stupid enough to mean harm.

That being said I would welcome a story arc similar to the plains or fortuna dedicated to the infested coming up with a new devastating way to infect everything and create something so powerful that would be a challenge even for Tenno and warframes. Just hope for it not to be an open world. Enough of that thank you.

Just now, Olphalarepth said:

Frames are already infested units as even in the game it is explained that under the exterior bio armor, only an "infested puppet" can be found and the infestation cannot "convert" them as they have nothing to work with. Frames are infested of a special variant under our control that cannot contaminate.

Except, you know, we have a frame that can kind of infect other frames, so we're not exactly immune to other Infestation. Just probably a lot of strains.

5 minutes ago, Olphalarepth said:

Only a partial success was achieved by Alad V and we took care of that. Unless the infestation has beyond genius type intellect to replicate what Alad chan has done we're safe. Deviousness and treachery alone won't be nearly enough to snatch our frames from us.

Yes, but we have a precedent, and I have a feeling that the Mutalist strain would be a part of how the Infestation would take control of frames somewhere down the line, if we're going to go there. After all, it's the only strain we know that can take over beyond normal flesh and bone, so it's possible that's part of the key to assimilate us.

i dont wanna post spoilers, but wasnt the mutalist warframe controlled via the neck plate rather than the infestation?
thats not exactly alad v creating a strain that can take over a frame.

as for the helminth hickey, the helminth of our warframe comes into contact with the particular strain of nidus' infection, it reacts and creates defenses against it and the result is the cyst. just like any living entity.

also i dont think nidus is an infested frame, rather he is a muatation of the base helminth... a cancer if you will... mostly uncontrolled mutation and replication held at bay by the peculiarity of the warframe process and the void demon enegry we impart.
so he is a manifestation of the raw/pure helminth virus if you will.

Just now, SerpentorPrime said:

i dont wanna post spoilers, but wasnt the mutalist warframe controlled via the neck plate rather than the infestation?

I think it's both. Both needed each other to work towards controlling a frame.

1 minute ago, Renegade343 said:

I think it's both. Both needed each other to work towards controlling a frame.

aye, fair enough... but as the frame we recieve from that fight doesnt have the infestation we cant assume it was a successful muitalist project, unlike the moas and such.

it would have been awesome if we got fully mutalist assasins like the stalker acolytes tho 🙂 that would have been awesome.

10 hours ago, Olphalarepth said:

Frames are already infested units as even in the game it is explained that under the exterior bio armor, only an "infested puppet" can be found and the infestation cannot "convert" them as they have nothing to work with. Frames are infested of a special variant under our control that cannot contaminate.

While it's reasonable, the problem is that the warframe i mentioned, Nidus, is able to infect other warframes as well.

10 hours ago, Olphalarepth said:

Only a partial success was achieved by Alad V and we took care of that. Unless the infestation has beyond genius type intellect to replicate what Alad chan has done, we're safe. Deviousness and treachery alone won't be nearly enough to snatch our frames from us.

We might never know...

10 hours ago, SerpentorPrime said:

True. However, said neck plate was infested, so i believe that both of them must co-exist, to create a controllable puppet.

10 hours ago, SerpentorPrime said:

as for the helminth hickey, the helminth of our warframe comes into contact with the particular strain of nidus' infection, it reacts and creates defenses against it and the result is the cyst. just like any living entity.

Sure, but let's think about it: What if the cyst belonged to a nidus that doesn't know that he carries the "cure"? Who would know if the Helminth hickey or the helminth charger would stop taking order from the owners, and turn their side on the pure infestation?

I had this idea (posted it literally ten minutes before the fourth diorama came out) that Arlo's infected with a runaway Helminth. Given how nidus-like the zealots are, and how the zealoid prelate looks like, complete with a "transference bolt" on top of its head, convinces me even further. That, of course, makes it worrying that a reappearance by Arlo down the line could somehow hot-water the warframe-operator transference link.

Or, imagine, a quest-based villain who injects himself with a helminth sample to do the same thing to himself that Togaman did to Joe Umbra. If that person's mad enough to try it, they're mad enough to weather the pain and remain sane as well (well, as anyone who would willingly infect one's own body with a superman virus for Sweet Mother Evolution).

They already tried to infect Warframes (by reviving us) and failed miserably, we didn't even get a cyst out of that (Although I would've loved to be able to get a new kind of Charger out of Arlo's straing due to NW2, but oh well). This kinda lets out the first, but the second could work. We have no real idea about what Arlo's flame actually is, but if both infestation strain managed to mutate together, it would be more than possible for these to work together. 

What we often forget, is that the Infested are a Hive mind that assimilate the minds of every infested. If there is some kind of central Golem, its probably incredibly intelligent, and will sooner or later coordinate the rest of infested to expand. It is already trying to create something really similar to Warframes. The only thing stopping it is not having Void Powers to become an unstoppable warrior

Another question is whether there's a difference between an "inhabited warframe" (the ones we use) and an "uninhabited warframe" like the one Alad tried to infest. On top of that Atlas is implied to be just lying around in the golem without becoming infested. The tenno are probably immune to the infestation due to the changes made by void exposure. Speaking of the void isn't it implied that the void has consciousness or something in the void has the ability to take action I have a feeling that some of the dialog talks about a "something" untrustworthy in the void but I could be wrong. I only bring it up because that "something" in the void might have something to do with the reason the infestation have problems with the tenno. If I'm mistaken about the something Helminth could be actively preventing the infestation from infecting warframes the room it lives in is called the med bay after all.

those are not implications, those are your personal extrapolations.

as a nidus main, i aint afraid.

The Frames are a combination of Infested Tissue applied on human base ,enabled by Orokin transference & gene mod tech and powered by Tenno Void abilities (and love).

The Prelate seems to have 3/4 of those things now and is very clear that he would welcome the frames if the "self " which is likely the Tenno was removed.

I personally think The helminth should have said something or made a comments after we defeat the prelate or get cured by the devotees.

We know helminth is a benign (relatively) version of the infestation , maybe there are other variants (triuna is one more),

I really really want the helminth room to have more function.

On 2019-10-06 at 12:51 AM, Olphalarepth said:

Tenno are supposed to be the "beyond" every wildest power trip you can come up with. They literally use powers that makes a mockery of the laws of the universe (frames powers come from Tenno iirc and they provide the juice to use them despite the fact that, in game, frames have their own energy pool) and even the infestation on the ship clearly states they "fear nothing but the demons of the void". In terms of mechanic and balance we cannot vaporize everything but the Tenno beam alone should be more than enough to tear apart everyone stupid enough to mean harm.

My personal theory on Tenno immunity to the infestation is that the infested share the sentient weakness to the void, preventing them from reproducing in exposure to it. Since Tenno are like conduits of void energy, it would make sense that infested could not infect them if that were the case, and why the void towers aren't overrun with infestation. It couldn't be the neural sentry, as individual infested spores are too small to put a control bolt through, so something else must be keeping the infested at bay

4 hours ago, Morrow said:

My personal theory on Tenno immunity to the infestation is that the infested share the sentient weakness to the void, preventing them from reproducing in exposure to it. Since Tenno are like conduits of void energy, it would make sense that infested could not infect them if that were the case, and why the void towers aren't overrun with infestation. It couldn't be the neural sentry, as individual infested spores are too small to put a control bolt through, so something else must be keeping the infested at bay

I think it's more "I'm way too powerful to be affected by this weak sauce". Infestation works differently from sentients and, as we all know by now, the void is a place where normal laws of physics (and most likely time) don't mean jack. Sentients have a difficult time adapting to something that is illogical such as the void so, it stands to reason that infestation cannot overcome the boundaries that separate "mortals" from "void touched". Simply put, we are out of their league.

This is all speculation obviously and will remain so until the game clearly state "Tenno are immune because....."

How many forms do we have of the Infested nowadays?

Glast Gambit

Derelict and Lephantis

Plague Star and Hemocyst

Nidus and Helminth

Eris and the Hive

Mutalist Alad V and Warframe control

Phorid and the boss takeovers

....and we have not had a fight for dominant control yet?

Come on DE....give us Infested that coexist with the transformed. Give us Phorid Transformed. Give us Jordas Golem: Terrain Mode.

We got so much and get so little

Currently with the technocite there are

The Original strain those tree branches in the derilect.

The mutualist strain foind on eris. That another glisining stuff that can live in space and infect robots.

And the helmenth strain that is inert and used for warframe bodies.

Most of the times we encounter the infested they are confused why we are fighting them as we are of like flesh. It seems that the strains on the whole do not have a reason to fight eachother though they may see eachother as different. 

We can not say what strain is older but it's likely that warframes use a base form of it resulting our relative immunity to them as a whole. And the helmenth seems to be the only strain to effect us though it's only effecting it's self.

As for the void daemons it's complicated their immunity mostly stems from the power flowing through then witch is on the whole very lethal to other living things. The infested could try but it might be like infecting a meat sack that uses gama radiation for blood and spans multiple dimensions even maybe past, present, and future at the same time. So most of their immunity comes from incompatible biology. 

As people mention above, it's more about different biological entities. More like Aliens in the movies can make someone host and develop a new entity. But even there, fast adaptative dna is involved. Even in science fiction, real life compatibility is involve. "infestation" means nothing by itself if the word is sac of meanings for the sake of vagueness ranging from virus, plague, disease, dna breaker, etc.

it's all up in the air as to what it technically really means.

Yeah, as if Nidus or Helminth would ever fall for any of  that. They are probably not even affected by that nonsense beyond infecting other Warframes with Helminth room keys.