Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I did 'Free Bird' - the whole thing

Buff00n

Oh man, I've been working on this since before the Shawzin even dropped.  Song codes are below, because they're way too big to put in the YouTube description.

(Spoiler alert: Apostasy Prologue and The Sacrifice)

Excerpts:

Beginning instrumental: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

6hAAhAUUAghA8UBESBISBwRB0KB4MB8SCISCMSCQSCUMCYECcKCwMC0RC8MDERDIRDgMDkJDoRDshEAhEUUEghE8UFESFISFwRF0KF4MF8SGISGMSGQSGUMGYEGcKGwMG0RG8MHERHIRHgMHkJHoRHsUH4hIA

Solo part 1 easier excerpt: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

1UAAhAEUAIhAMiAQiAUiAchAkUAohAsiAwUA4iA8hBEUBIhBMiBQkBYiBckBkiBokBwiB0kB4iB8hCEUCIiCMiCUiCchCkUCohCsiCwUC4iC8hDEUDIhDMiDQkDYiDckDkiDokDwiD0kD4iD8kEAiEEhEIiEM

Solo part 2 easier excerpt: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

1hAAiAIiAQiAYiAgiAohAshAwhA0hA4UA8UBAUBEUBIUBQUBUUBYSBcSBgSBkSBoRBwRB4RCAMCIMCQKCUMCYKCgRCkMCsRCwKC0MC4RC8MDAKDEMDIMDQKDUMDYKDgRDkRDsMDwRD0MD4RD8MEAKEEMEI

Solo part 3 easier excerpt: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

1RAAMAIRAQMAUSAYRAgSAkMAoRAsSAwRA0MA4SA8MBARBEMBISBMMBQRBUMBYSBcMBgRBkMBsRB0iB8iCEiCMiCUiCchCghCkhCohCsUCwUC0UC4UC8UDEUDMUDUUDcSDgSDkSDoSDsSDwSD0RD4MD8

The whole thing

Intro and verse 1: Shawzin Tab

Song code:

Spoiler

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

Verse 2: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

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

Solo part 1: Shawzin Tab

Song Code (This is the big one):

Spoiler

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

Solo Part 2: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

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

Solo Part 3: Shawzin Tab

Song Code:

Spoiler

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

Notes

The fact that the Shawzin is not in the same key as the Mandachord threw me for a loop, but it's nothing a DAW can't fix.  I'm still scratching my head over the fact that the Shawzin isn't compatible with the Mandachord, or even compatible among its own own selection of scales, but dealing with that is its own interesting challenge.

I also had to re-tune the Nelumbo Shawzin slightly.  It sounds out of tune all the time, but when played against something in the same octave it's painfully flat.

Other than those annoyance, this was really fun to do.  I spent several hours listening to the original, sometimes at 0.5x speed, and figuring out every note.  I went through a couple of versions adapting it to Shawzin before deciding to split it into the Minor Scale for the verses and Minor Pentatonic for the solo.  The original solo is pretty close to pentatonic.

The Shawzin recorder's time resolution is another challenge, especially with the tempo change that happens mid-song.  The Shawzin recorder's resolution is fixed at 16 ticks per second.  The first part of the song is fine at 120 BPM, which works great with 8 ticks per beat.  But you have to increase the tempo for the solo or it just sounds dumb.  I went with 160 BPM, which gives me 6 ticks per beat.  That will do eighth notes and triplets just fine.  But it won't do sixteenth notes evenly, and there are a lot of those in the solo.  Luckily, they go by so fast that it's not really noticeable that they're actually swung sixteenth note triplets rather than straight sixteenth notes.

I put together more than 120 Mandachord loops for this, but some of that is because I recorded most instruments separately so I could tune and set volumes on a per-instrument basis.  Most of what you see on the video are "combined" loops I recorded just to show; otherwise I'd have to fill the whole screen with Mandachords.  There's also a lot of stuff I'm not explicitly showing, like some incidental percussion, doubling up Plogg + Druk melodies for the harder rhythm guitar, and doubling up on Alpha + Epsilon for the vocal melody.  7:49 gives you a small taste of what it could look like if I was showing everything.  For the faster section I just sped up the Mandachord parts with a DAW.  You can technically do 160 BPM with a Mandachord if you just use three ticks per beat, but you can only do triplets with that setup and it would sound very, very wrong with this song.  It works for other songs, though.

The full Shawzin song is split into five parts for practical reasons.  I had to split up the two Minor Scale verses because of time constraints; combined they're at bit too long at 4:40.  I had to split up the Minor Pentatonic solo because of note constraints; combined it has a total of 1370 notes.  I also split it up because there was no way in hell I was going to get all the way through it in one go without either a train wreck or tendonitis ;).

Thanks for listening!  I think I need a week off now.

• Like 3

This is great, and made even better with the comprehensive Notes detailing how you worked around the in-game limitations. A lot of the musical terms and descriptors went over my head a bit but I can certainly appreciate the amount of skill and effort that went into this project.

25 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

Thanks for listening!  I think I need a week off now.

It would definitely be deserved after an undertaking like this! Thanks for all of your musical contributions to the Warframe community.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...