Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make the game harder.

Joezone619

4 hours ago, Goodwill said:

You have to fight an army of Vay Heks.

The MR system is a large culprit for this. I understand why it had a place in the game up to now, but I don't think it really needs to be there anymore. A couple quick points off the top of my head about it:

- Encourages people to find the "top" weapons of each MR level, or withing a segment of levels to use as their "real" weapons while everything else is "fodder."

- Rivens double down on this problem due to their MR restrictions preventing non-meta weapons from being viable picks for lower MR players. For example, the Strun Wraith or Karak Wraith are perfectly serviceable weapons up to about lvl 120 and 80, respectively, and this is just an estimation, as long as you have a solid riven for it. Most players will probably "fodder" these weapons without ever discovering this.

- Daily Standing being tied to MR means MR is too important for progression. This encourages people to just power level fodder weapons instead of actually exploring those weapons. I admit to doing this a fair bit myself, but the system is set up with the incentives as they are, so that's what people do.

Aside from the MR issue, people complain about power creep a lot and will blame stuff like Primed mods, Rivens, Arcanes, etc. However, most of them never stop and look at the weapons themselves. There's a huge difference in base power for newer weapons compared to the old school ones. Tell me what "balance" you see between the Hystrix and the Lato. How about Fulmin vs Burston? Akarius vs almost any other secondary, lol...

People need to realize this game isn't balanced, never will be, and they should appreciate it more in the context of a large, instance-based sandbox game with a huge array of toys to play with. From there they may find it much more enjoyable as their expectations are suddenly aligned closer to what the game actually offers. This isn't to say there isn't a lot of room for improvement, but that the areas people can reasonably expect to see improvement would be significantly different than what people complain about the most around here.

While I like the idea of a more challenging game, I think making it harder in general, would split the player base, between players that like it more "casual", and those that don't. Effectively reducing the numbers of players you can play with.

What about making the game harder (and more rewarding) for the individual player? Say, kinda like the Dragon Keys, but perhas a little more scale-able and with a little reward attached. Just a rough idea: Equip an Arcane Power Limiter (take one effect say -20% damage, -1 Revive, Pickups with -20% ammo), to get some karmic boost (say +20% XP/Focus, or Credits, or Resources), put on more than one for a chance to receive a Reward from a higher Rotation (or an additional reward from a lower one, as I said just a rough idea).

This way the players wanting a harder game, can still play could along those that like a more casual style.

They could easily make the game harder and yes, it would either split the player base or drive casuals off.`

Driving casuals off is a bad idea, even those of you who love to shout "git gud" at people need to accept that. FTP games thrive on the money casuals throw at it.

The player base is, at least IMO, pretty well split already. I don't see people who can solo an Eidolon playing the first 5 or 6 planets in the star chart unless there's an event there. And if they're that good and play there normally, then it's because they want a God mode game experience. Because honestly, there's nothing else there for them that they can't get more of and faster in a T4 mission. Earth to Saturn is where I seem to find most casuals playing. I don't see them running Ambulas missions farming Trinity parts. It's just way too hard for them. I've seen more rage quitting there than anywhere else. And it's where I think most mid level players stop progressing on the Star Chart missions. I know one guy, been playing the game for several years hasn't passed that point and never intends to try again. And there are NO squads playing that mission.

Also, players can make the game harder for themselves if they wish or desire more of a challenge. Don't mod your weapons or warframe, carry dragon keys, use crap weapons, play solo, etc, etc.

3 minutes ago, 3rdpig said:

Also, players can make the game harder for themselves if they wish or desire more of a challenge. Don't mod your weapons or warframe, carry dragon keys, use crap weapons, play solo, etc, etc.

The unspoken half of "Make the game harder" is "With rewards that feel worth it." People want it to be challenging and rewarding. Artificially gimping yourself is not a rewarding experience, which is why the idea you proposed (which is a very common argument) doesn't actually hold up. People want content where they can put their most OP, min-max, squad optimized skills/knowledge tools to the test--and have a real chance at failure. They also want it to be worth the effort beyond "just hard." If the casuals are struggling to clear the star chart, this kind of content doesn't have anything to do with them anyway, so I don't see it actually splitting the player base at all.