Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gamepad Improvement Suggestions

MofineBovine

I don't much like the current gamepad controls. I don't know how popular they are but i hate them. If you want to have this game on ps4 i think comfortable and practical controls would be a must.

Left bumper is bugged in warframe atm and will execute a dodge roll no matter what you bind to it. I managed to get around it by binding push to talk to left bumper and then binding push to talk to start. dont know why that fixes it but it does.

Here is what i use:

Left stick: Movement. Pushing the stick all the way forward = sprinting. Not pushing it all the way forward = not sprinting. Its not perfectly smooth at the moment. But if they fix sprint it would be perfect. edit: works perfect now.

Right stick: Camera control of course.

Right trigger. Fire

Left trigger: Aim

Right bumper: Melee

Left Bumper: Crouch/Slide.

A: Jump

Y: Relaod/weapon Swap. (tap to reload, hold to swap weapon)

X: Use

B: Dodge.

dpad: powers 1 2 3 4.

select: Inventory.

start: menu

Left stick press: set nav point.

Right stick press: Nothing

I know its not perfect but i think its an improvement. This setup allows you to instantly crouch and jump at the same time to bust out a forward flip as well as aim and freely move the camera while sliding. Mostly this button configuration is focused on comfortably and quickly doing slide jumps and slide attacks.

There is also still a stick press free, hopefully that can be used for "snap camera to model"

The main thing missing is block. Because blocking is a waste of time. However if it ever gets fixed you are going to need it on there somewhere. IF you were able to perform a dodge roll from a sliding position it would be possible to perhaps have a crouch/dodge/slide button (as in tap to dodge, hold to crouch or slide). At the moment that cant be done without putting a severe delay before either action. I dont know maybe you could have blocking and snap camera bound to the same button.

Other features wed like to see in warframe? I would like to see a light on/light off. But then you have to work out how to fit it on the gamepad somewhere.

Edited by MofineBovine

I fixed sprint! Now my controls run perfect.

here is the script

if starting then var.Sprint = 0

if ((XInput1.Joy1Y)^2 + (XInput1.Joy1X)^2 > 0.64) // Formula for a circle: X^2 + Y^2 = r^2
   var.Sprint = 1
else
   var.Sprint = 0
end

if XInput1.RightTrigger = 1 //This is what fixes sprint
   var.Sprint = 0
 end

if XInput1.LeftTrigger = 1 // As does this
   var.Sprint = 0
end

If var.Sprint > 0
   press shift         //shift is set to sprint and not sprint/roll
end

if var.Sprint = 0
   release shift      
end

if XInput1.Y
   wait 300ms       //This is how long you hold down Y in milliseconds for it to be a weapon swap and not reload. 
   if XInput1.Y = 1
      press F       //F is swap weapon
      wait 100ms
      release F
   end
end

By "fixed sprint" i mean: If i am holding the left stick forward and i press left trigger to aim or right trigger to fire i will stop sprinting and walk while held down. As soon as i let go of one of the triggers... zoom! i start sprinting without having to re-push the stick forward again. It works flawlessly. If DE gets controls close to this working then they might have a game that's actually playable on a ps4
Edited by MofineBovine

I use left bumper for sprint and I don't have issues with it executing a dodge roll (unless I tap it instead of holding it down).

Edit: Here's my 360 controller setup.

Right trigger. Fire

Right bumper: Melee
Left Bumper: Sprint/Roll

Y: Switch Weapon
X: Use
B: Reload

Dpad Up: Block

Dpad Down: Push To Talk

Dpad Left: Item Popup (aka Inventory / Gear)

Dpad Right: Next Power

Select: Place Marker

Left stick press: Use Selected Power
Right stick press: Toggle Crouch

Edited by DietEbolaCola

This is my Xbox controller layout, please note I am using the Razer Saboor Tooth controller.

Right trigger. Fire

Right bumper: Use

Left Bumper: Sprint/Roll

Y: Switch Weapon

X: Use Selected Power

B: Melee

Dpad Up: Block

Dpad Down: Item Popup (aka Inventory / Gear)

Dpad Left: Previous Power

Dpad Right: Next Power

Back: Place Marker

Left stick press: Toggle Crouch

Right Stick Press: Reload

Bumper customization 

M1: X Button

M2: Right Stick Press

Extra Triggers Underneath The Controller

M3: Back

M4: Dpad Up

M5: Dpad Left

M6: B Button

Edited by Weird_Stealth

Very constructive c_man. I prefer playing with keyboard too. But I'd like to be able to slouch back in my chair with a controller now and then too. I've just never gotten accustomed to the controller settings for this game. The "parcour" bits of this game are deceptively demanding on your button layouts, when you need to be aiming and shooting at the same time.

I wonder if the PS4 version will support Keyboard + Mouse setups like many of the PS3 shooters did. Also, even beyond the controller issues, sticky targeting needs some major tweeking. It sticks very hard, directly on the enemies, making anything but hitscan weapons useless (at least on moving targets). Maybe something a little less sticky, more (dare I say) Halo-y would work better.