Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why rolling guard is better than quick thinking and Adaptation

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

A lot of people underestimate the affects of rolling guard, i don't blame them the damage reduction numbers you see on your screen with adaptation look very shiny

And the illusion of invincibility that quick thinking gives you is also very tempting 

But Rolling guard can do things both adaptaion and quick thinking cannot 

Quick thinking turns your energy into your health pool...so forget using that mod on warframes that are energy hungry

Adaptation needs you to get hit a lot to get the most amount of Ehp/damage reduction necessary to survive 

Rolling guard wants you to....well...roll

Quick thinking not only chews through your energy pool it staggers you constantly and you'll be standing there thinking that quick thinking is quick enough 

Adaptaion like i said needs you to be tanky...so it requires to be the reason you bring this mod in the first pace...so why even waste mod slots?

Rolling guard's only downside is it's 7s cooldown...but 3 seconds of invulnerability is enough time to retaliate...or heal...or take cover or even tank high damage from bosses 

Let me tell you more reasons to love this mod

status procs? What's that: if you want to bring adaptation to tank these slash and toxin procs, or quick thinking to let energy take them...yeah rolling guard just cancels them all

from now on there is no harrow I AM HARROW: aww man...i'm soloing teralyst fight but i'm not harrow to protect me from energy spike...don't worry with good timing and positioning you can protect yourself from the entire phase of the energy spike with the use of rolling guard 

Safe casting: someone like valkyr that wants to turn off hysteria while having a lot of stacked damage that will kill you, or someone like revenant that needs to recast his mesmer skin but afraid of enemies one shotting you...don't worry, rolling guard will protect you while casting all of your abilities 

Use rolling guard...it's worth the trouble of farming it

Out of all the Arbitration Mods, I would say Vigorous Swap is the most powerful, Adaptation is the most passive, and Rolling Guard is the most underrated (because like Corvid said, you need to be active).

Passive and easy is popular.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

An operator in void mode laughs at all of those. 

The point is that each of them are more effective for different types of frames and playstyles.

You could argue that having to dodge every 7 seconds in combat takes out too much gameplay. You could also argue that only being able to protect yourself for 3 seconds every 7 seconds while requiring you to roll isn't enough protection for all situations.

They all have their ups and downs.

• Like 1

I think my problem with rolling guard is that I frequently use midair rolling for a slight speed boost. Most of the time I am sitting on a cool-down when I need it most and trying to undo my muscle memory for movement just isn't worth it. I would prefer if it was just a 1 sec invulnerable period with a 1-2 second cool-down. Then I would use it one every build

• Like 5

it would be better if there isn't cooldown at all

i mean hildryn have the same thing as her passive ( same duration 3s / reset when shield fully recharge to max ) .
would make sense since you had to sacrifice your survivability mods to fit that mod in and it cost 12 capacity which is alot.

10 minutes ago, Pie_mastyr said:

I think my problem with rolling guard is that I frequently use midair rolling for a slight speed boost. Most of the time I am sitting on a cool-down when I need it most and trying to undo my muscle memory for movement just isn't worth it. I would prefer if it was just a 1 sec invulnerable period with a 1-2 second cool-down. Then I would use it one every build

Same, I always use the midair roll too to cover ground.

Though in theory NONE of the mods are good for regular content. It's really just a thing if you want to test yourself after an hour of endless missions....for some absurd reason.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, .OwOkin. said:

i mean hildryn have the same thing as her passive ( same duration 3s / reset when shield fully recharge to max ) .
would make sense since you had to sacrifice your survivability mods to fit that mod in and it cost 12 capacity which is alot.

Keep rolling rolling rolling 

22 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

And the illusion of invincibility that quick thinking gives you

Errr, what? Who's ever looked at Quick Thinking and seen "invincibility" instead of "safety net"?

23 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Adaptaion like i said needs you to be tanky...so it requires to be the reason you bring this mod in the first pace...so why even waste mod slots?

What are you talking about? You're presenting such a misrepresentation of these mods as well as the reasons to use them that it's... silly.

No, you don't need to be tanky to build up adaptation stacks, it helps but there are other ways of doing it. Rolling for example, or blocking with your melee weapon will allow you to build up the stacks without taking full damage, and then you have the higher damage reduction for when you want to go on the offensive. Even your preferred Rolling Guard will help here.

Another example is that stacks can be built up during ability usage, such as Wukong's Defy, drawing aggro to yourself and building adaptation stacks whilst temporarily invincible.

28 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Safe casting: someone like valkyr that wants to turn off hysteria while having a lot of stacked damage that will kill you, or someone like revenant that needs to recast his mesmer skin but afraid of enemies one shotting you...don't worry, rolling guard will protect you while casting all of your abilities 

Neither of these are good examples.

Not only is it very easy for Valkyr to keep the aura level low and get out of range of enemies for the "kill effect" on her Hysteria as well, but Revenant doesn't need to recast Mesmer skin.

I get what you're going for, Rolling Guard is an interesting mod that has some value, but you're just misrepresenting things to suit this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, .OwOkin. said:

I definitely agree with you. Nobody's gonna roll roll roll, it's not overpowered at all. 

5 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

invincibility" instead of "safety net"?

My bad, mistyped...meant the illusion of being unkillable..

6 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Neither of these are good examples.

Not only is it very easy for Valkyr to keep the aura level low and get out of range of enemies for the "kill effect" on her Hysteria as well, but Revenant doesn't need to recast Mesmer skin.

Ok maybe titania when she get in razorwing

The point is...some warframes need safe casting and rolling guard provides

9 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Rolling for example, or blocking with your melee weapon will allow you to build up the stacks without taking full damage, and then you have the higher damage reduction for when you want to go on the offensive. Even your preferred Rolling Guard will help here.

Well 1. Enemy accuracy gets reduced when you move

2.i don't main wukong 

3. Melee blocking is crap right now 

And finally no one will ever waste 2 slots for 2 defensive mods...unless they're really afraid to die

rolling guard is straight bs, to even benefit from this mod youll be rolling, ALWAYS.  straight garbage if youre an active player that actually wants to play shooting and meleeing. it falls in the same category as abilities that is just plain annoying like limbo rift volt speed boost etc.

then there is Harrow"...…..

Edited by ranks21

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Well 1. Enemy accuracy gets reduced when you move

2.i don't main wukong 

3. Melee blocking is crap right now 

And finally no one will ever waste 2 slots for 2 defensive mods...unless they're really afraid to die

1) Not to a point where you don't get hit full stop.

If you're arguing that rolling and moving has such an impact on getting hit that you won't be able to build any adaptation stacks, then why are you advocating usage of Rolling Guard? Just keep moving and you won't get hit, you don't need it.

2) You don't need to main Wukong to understand an example.

3) Melee blocking is crap, certainly, but still a valid example. With proper weapons you can block between 80% and 90% of frontal damage, which will allow you to build stacks quite safely.

Also yes, people regularly put 2 defensive mods on. Vitality is one of them, ya know.

Edited by DeMonkey

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

All 3 have one goal...providing protection, but which one is better? That's my thread

Still irrelevant no matter how good if my personal playstyle wont make any use of it. 

But no. In Warframe, no one is allowed to have preferences, and choices of how they want to play their own game. 

il y a une heure, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk a dit :

Rolling guard wants you to....well...roll

That's exactly what make this mod unusable.
The mod is not bad if you rolls only as an escape tool, like Limbo unique dash encourage doing, but you are one of these player tha constantly use rolls to move around (my case), the mod is completely unusable because of the cooldown. The invulnerability stay 3s and have a 7s cooldown (starting after the effect end), so with the mod maxed you end up getting invulnerability 30% of the time randomly.

Instead of rewarding players using rolls to move around, it punish in favor of player that don't know how to use them and give them another gameplay element instead. It encourage players not using rolls and save it for when you need to tank, which is not the purpose of rolling in a speed game like Warframe.
I could work with a lower cooldown, but right now the mod is trash and I prefer being faster rather than "rolling at the right time" to benefit the effect of this mod.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lukinu_u said:

rather than "rolling at the right time" to benefit the effect of this mod.

I use it like this

I roll when i'm about to fight group of enemies

I roll to get rid of status procs

I roll to protect myself from energy spike

It's situational i know...but it's very useful against high level enemies...or bosses