Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Infinite mouse wheel" - allowed in Warframe? (bound to melee)

IamLoco

Question

Hello fellow Tennos and DE,

I wanted to ask if it would be allowed to use a mouse with an infinite scroll wheel (Logitech mouse, can either "lock" the wheel for single ticks or unlock it, so it spins for a long time) and bind that to something like the weapon fire or melee attack?

The reason why I´m asking is, that I honestly start feeling pain in my fingers after clicking or key spamming for half an hour or longer. Binding the mouse wheel to the melee attack (standard "E") allows for permanent slashing and fighting, although you won´t be able to perform any great combos of course.

I know that some games do not allow this, but since you can simply do so in the customize control menu in Warframe, I wanted to be sure I won´t get a ban for it because the server notices unnaturally fast inputs.

Is there any statement by DE concerning this issue?

Thanks guys... and if you think this is a stupid question, please just move on 😉

9 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, IamLoco said:

Is there any statement by DE concerning this issue?

Not really. Here is all we have: Third-Party Software and You - A PSA

People certainly do bind 'fire' to the mouse wheel though. It helps for semi-auto weapons.

• If you are using an infinite scroll it could be justified that you are cheating. You are letting the wheel endlessly spin and play for you. "Automation" is not allowed, other stuff that aids in 'usability for those struggling' generally is.

I have the exact same mouse.  I actually use the free-spin mode all the time for scrolling my Mandachord videos smoothly. 

Using the free-spin mouse wheel for melee is fun and also hilarious with speed mods.  I haven't done it in a few years.  I don't recall anything getting angry when I did, but I never did it that much.

There are some serious drawbacks.  You can still accidentally perform combos, and depending on the weapon and stance these can propel you forward very far with no warning.  Also, having to stop the wheel when you want to actually move around or do anything other than swing a sword takes some getting used to and hampers your mobility quite a bit.  Those were enough to prevent it from becoming a regular part of my gameplay back in the day.

You can try it out, but my first suggestion would be to find a weapon/play style that doesn't require constant clicking.  Full auto guns like Ignis are a popular choice, and if you mod for Blast status then you can rest your clicker while you knock mobs down and then melee them at your leisure.

Another suggestion would be to bind a second key/button to melee that's under a different finger, to give your first finger a rest.

Already 3 replies! Thanks so much guys..!

Everything you say does make sense - even if you seem to have a different opinion on "automation". 😉

I wouldn´t want anything that actually "plays the game for me". That´s the reason I wouldn´t even consider using 3rd party stuff or even macros.

The spinning wheel just seemed like a welcome option to enable from time to time when fighting endless hords of infested in survival etc.

If it turns out to be against the TOS, that´s fine - the only thing I would question then is why you can bind the mouse wheel to an attack function in the first place.

I agree that this brings some disadvantages with it, it completely makes you go berserk with no control over what you actually want to do. It´s really the "give my fingers a rest" option for me.

I might try just playing with the "locked" mode, so slowly scrolling the wheel would perform an attack per tick - I don´t believe anyone could say something against that.

Thanks again for the explanation and for your time!

Have the same mouse. Think DE are fine with that, so long as it doesn’t cause an exploit.

Bear in mind DE are the same devs who saw players taking an unintended melee mechanic (called ‘coptering’) and accepted it into their game. Think using the free moving scrolling wheel to shoot would be fine. 

You’d still have to pause to reload, and keeping the scroll wheel moving would be a surefire way to run out of ammo fast.

I use the mouse wheel pushing forward as well as the main melee key on the keyboard, after some time in arbitration your melee finger on the keyboard starts to get over it fast, so I switch to rolling the mouse wheel forward to rest my main melee button and finger.

I also use it with Abilities depending on which Warframe I'm using at the time it take but a second to setup the mouse wheel forward for the skill you want to use.

Example: The number 1 skill of Atlas I alternate between the keyboard button for 1st skill and the mouse and it makes it so much easier to punch enemies along with the keyboard button when my finger gets tired. Bind it next to the main key used, add it in the secondary binding column.

4 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

AFAIK, not a single game would ban unpinned mouse wheel as long as people keep it physical.

Well, Path of Exile did. Or better, GGG aka Grinding Gear Games.

You will get instantly kicked "for performing too many actions". If you do it repeatedly, you risk a ban.

So apparently a lot of people use the wheel and some also an unpinned one. Guess if DE never said anything against it, we should be fine using it. Thanks for all the replies!

28 minutes ago, IamLoco said:

Well, Path of Exile did. Or better, GGG aka Grinding Gear Games.

You will get instantly kicked "for performing too many actions". If you do it repeatedly, you risk a ban.

So apparently a lot of people use the wheel and some also an unpinned one. Guess if DE never said anything against it, we should be fine using it. Thanks for all the replies!

Grinding Gear Games's case is quite controversial. They believe in better equipment = unfair advantage. And they decided that it's up to the developers to eliminate the advantage. This is also why they don't allow binding mouse wheel for keys that are not "intended" to click so fast repeatedly. 

This is like saying gamers playing with 4K 144Hz could only be allowed to use 1080p 60Hz in PUBG because it's unfair advantage.

They made the game, I respect that, but that doesn't change the fact it makes zero sense to me.  Clicking too fast = ban is irrational. There are so many people who could jitter click mouse button with 15~25 clicks per second.

Edited by SHArK-FiN