Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Relic dropping same item each time on same missions

Blekinfar

Question

I googled this a good bit, and then searched the boards and I am not seeing this exact thing mentioned.

My wife and I play void fissures together.  If I am putting multiples of the same Lith or Meso, or Neo like to get rid of the multiples I have, the same result happens in the same mission.  The same happens with my wife.  So, let's say we do a survival, I do lith XX, 3 times, and my wife does Lith XX (relic numbers made up), I will get the same reward each time, and she would get the same reward each time as well.  Since we have started doing Void fissures actively for Primes, we have noticed this.  We have to wait for a DIFFERENT mission to have a chance at another reward for that same relic. 

I hope I am conveying this properly.  I am not complaining about the reward.  I am thinking that the randomness seems to be running off of a "seed number" like the very old DOS days, where the randomize command with a seed always came up with the same number (like on the Tandy 1000). 

We have consistently seen that if we even repeat the same mission, after running successfully, using the same type of relic each, we still get the same reward each.  Like that particular reward became tied to that map/void fissure session.

Has anyone noticed this?

8 answers to this question

It’s usually just rng.

Though if I may inquire;

How long has this going on for? Is it still happening? 

Bear in mind rewards in relics have common, uncommon, and rare rewards. You and your wife could just be having unfortunate rng and be getting the same common drop(s).

Relic rng doesn’t factor in maps/mission types like a seed or anything. (at least, not that we’re aware of)

First, sorry to hear that you're having such a problem.

Second, you're correct in that it is a seed number problem. Random Number Generation (RNG) uses a "seed" number as part of its algorithm, If you want to know more just look at the wiki post on the two types of RNG humans have come up with and you'll see why nothing is truly random, here. Since a human had to write the algorithm, they also determine what the "seed" number is. As you're a PC player this problem maybe as simple as a corrupted file that is causing the algorithm to malfunction. I believe there is a cog/wheel in the upper right-hand corner that you can use to verify the files. If any are corrupted they will be replaced with a new version of that file.

Hopefully, that will solve the problem. If not submit a ticket to the Zendesk and be prepared to wait for a reply.

Edited by (XB1)TimberWolf13

23 hours ago, (XB1)TimberWolf13 said:

You're correct in that it is a seed number problem. Random Number Generation (RNG) uses a "seed" number as part of its algorithm, If you want to know more just look at the wiki post on the two types of RNG humans have come up with and you'll see why nothing is truly random, here. Since a human had to write the algorithm, they also determine what the "seed" number is. As you're a PC player this problem maybe as simple as a corrupted file that is causing the algorithm to malfunction. I believe there is a cog/wheel in the upper right-hand corner that you can use to verify the files. If any are corrupted they will be replaced with a new version of that file.

The thing is though that I don't think corrupted files would cause those algorithms to act up repeatedly. At least not without part of the games flags being triggered off at some point. 
There's also just the odds that OP & OP's wife really was just that unfortunate to roll the same rewards, at the same time, over multiple relics.

If this really is still happening to OP, I'd love to see some screengrabs. Would be interesting to document and observe this phenomenon. 

Edited by Owlski

I will see about some screen grabs from this over a period of time. 

TimberWolfe1, glad to know there are folks who understand the Random seed issues... I had a fun time in computer lit class way back in the late 80's explaining it to the teacher, lol.  And then I proved it to the class.

What we have noticed was not just commons repeating; there were uncommons as well, though in the case of rares, we usually just stopped and were thankful we finally got what we were looking for, haha.  It becomes a little difficult to test some of these due to the missions having a 1hour time window or so, unless a small speed run, of course.  Then this kinda becomes "work" which my real work job is already tedious enough, and this is supposed to provide a relax and escape. 

Also, this happened again to us when we forgot to select a different relic, last week.  Also, this phenomena does occur when we flip the relics:  meaning I choose her original one on the same mission and same map, and she mine.  It positively occurred when we wiped out our Mesos on a Derelict survival trying to get something we were lacking, I think Atlas, but really cannot recall, last week. The same relic would yield the same result on that same mission for either of us.

Anyhow, I just wanted to know if it was a thing.  A quirk of the game.

Thanks for the replies!

When I am just farming Void Traces, I find a fast mission type, pick a relic that I have a lot of, and then open that same relic over and over and over. I don't recall ever getting the same reward twice in a row, much less repeatedly. I was doing this yesterday, so my results are definitely recent. I have no idea how or why this is happening to you.