--Aegis--MR9

PC standalone vs PC steam

Question

Is there any advantage of playing at steam over the standalone version? I don't play anything on steam these days, so don't want to keep it running for nothing. 

12 answers to this question

The main thing you'll miss out on if you don't place on the steam version is the TennoGen (player created content).
Though if you don't plan on spending money on those cosmetics then there isn't any real difference that I know of.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You need the steam version if you want to buy Tennogen skins, if you don´t plan on buying them you won´t miss anything and the ones you bought can still be used in the standalone version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steam Skins (Tennogen), and the other services that Steam provides(Steam Forums, Media sharing, Streaming services, Friends&such, yno the various social services that makes Steam more than just a Store). note that you can still use any Steam Skins that you have previously purchased, you just can't buy any of them if you're not playing through Steam.
that's the extent of the association with Steam Warframe has. if you don't wish to use Steam, you don't have to.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just have two installs of the game. The stand alone is on my SSD which is the one I use obv and then one through steam I only logged into for Tennogen. I don't really use Steam and I use Pigeon for the chat portion which connects to steam, bnet, facebook, AIM (RIP) and most other chat services then puts them in one window. Nice and minimalist without having all that crap running in the background with adds, forced updates and all that other crap.

• Upvote 1

6 часов назад, Xzorn сказал:

I just have two installs of the game. The stand alone is on my SSD which is the one I use obv and then one through steam I only logged into for Tennogen. I don't really use Steam and I use Pigeon for the chat portion which connects to steam, bnet, facebook, AIM (RIP) and most other chat services then puts them in one window. Nice and minimalist without having all that crap running in the background with adds, forced updates and all that other crap.

Pleased to know, good for you, keep us up to date

Thinking about switching over to the standalone as I could live with out steam. Do I need to redownload everything? How does it work re: my progress transferring etc.?

You also need the steam version to create a review on steam aswell, if you plan on doing a review (good or bad) steam will not allow you since you haven't played warframe using the steam version.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Tools\Launcher.exe" -cluster:public -registry:Steam        

no need to redownload if you use this two launch additions on your own steam folder.

37 minutes ago, -TSA-warramssie said:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Tools\Launcher.exe" -cluster:public -registry:Steam        

no need to redownload if you use this two launch additions on your own steam folder.

will give that a try thanks

6 hours ago, bl1te said:

Pleased to know, good for you, keep us up to date

Feel threatened? What's that about?

I'm just stating alternative methods to doing things. I hate and I mean HATE launcher programs. I want to click an icon on my desktop and play. I don't wana go through steam, bnet, epic or whatever else to just play a specific game. The only thing those offer me is the chat and so long ago I found a way to consolidate using minimal system resources and keeping it all nice and neat in one app instead of having 3 different programs open just to talk with friends.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

22 hours ago, -TSA-warramssie said:

Every time I try to save this as a shortcut I get a target box is not valid message. What am I doing wrong here?

Edit: OK got it to work thanks

Edited by cmacq