Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Using Injectors -- Sweetfx

xxx7

Question

Thought I'd re-write this post since a lot has been answered, solved, etc. and make a single go-to post for quick overview. This thread is about the use of SweetFX for Warframe. Thanks to some very helpful Tenno -- mainly sushidubya, Koyamina, RedDirtTrooper, CeePee, and RawGritz -- we now have a complete set-up guide!

Great news everyone: Thanks to U14, Warframe is now compatible with SweetFX in DX11! No more "half-half-grey-glitch"!

IS IT LEGAL?

So, first things first: Can the use of a graphical/shader injector mod ban you? Answer is

Nope, you're good.

and can be found here posted by no one else but DE_Steve himself: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/34366-update-781/page-5#entry314666

WHAT'S IT FOR?

Alright, with that out of the way, what does it actually do? Well, in short it enhances the graphics, mainly by sharpening and eliminating the blurries caused by Warframe's FXAA. Here are some comparison shots. Removed pics. Might post a more extreme setting to better showcase the difference ("it's hard to put a movie in an image").

INSTALL GUIDE

How do I get and install it? I suggest you follow sushidubya's step-by-step guide here. Please note that for non-Steam users your install directory will be

/Warframe/Downloaded/Public

instead of

/Steam/SteamApps/commons/Warframe

OK. I got a couple of PMs from the other posters in this thread. So if you guys read earlier I recommended to try the "sharp and clean" setting at this link:

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/445/

on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4581604&postcount=528

All I did was take the files like in this image here:

1.jpg

and copied them to my install folder (it varies depending on if you used steam or original installer) but basically the folder where Warframe.exe is located. The folder should look like this after you copy the files:

2.jpg

So on that first link I have referred you guys to the "sharp and clean" page looks like this:

3.jpg

Download the text file by clicking "download preset" then take that text file and copy to the warframe install directory:

4.jpg

It should look like the picture above when you're done. you're going to delete the original "SweetFX_Settings" file. After that you're going to take the "SweetFX_Settings_Warframe_Sharp and clean.txt" file and rename it to "SweetFX_Settings" exactly like the original file.

To make sure it's installed correctly there's a way to make half the screen work with SweetFX and the other half not. So you can verify it's running. Open that text file and you should see this:

5.jpg

Change the number 0 that I highlighted in red to a 1 then save the txt file.

Open the warframe launcher and make sure you're using 32bit. You should see a dramatic difference between the right side of the screen (SweetFX active) vs the left side which is normal.

Good luck and enjoy!

Important

If you want to use WF in 64bit mode, just copy the files (d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll) in the SweetFx_64 folder and replace the one in the WarFrame main folder. Make backup of the original file in case you wanna use 32bit later.

If you keep crashing when using the 64bit version, close all overlay you have like Fraps/TS3 overlay. You can run Fraps after the game has been launched. (Thanks for reminding me, Alif. Don't know why I forgot to add this)

I'll keep this updated and will try to add as much as possible. Feedback, questions, etc. welcome!

NOTES:

SMAA does not seem to work with Nvidia cards. SMAA does work on Nvidia cards. If you can't see any difference try lowering the SMAA threshold (I put it on 0.08 along with lowering LumaSharpen to 2.30). Also, be sure to turn off in-game AA or it won't work!

The 64bit version has been tested and found to work on both Nvidia and AMD/ATI cards.

SweetFx is now 100% compatible with Warframe in DX11 mode, thanks to U14!

Presets:

Here is a collection of presets made for Warframe by the community. Pick to your liking!

My own version of "sharp and clean"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2582421

sushidubya's "latest and greatest"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2270098

RawGritz's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2147335

RawGritz's alt version

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=3096302

GunerXX's settings

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2018307

"Detailed Warframe v3.2 x64"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113390-using-injectors-sweetfx/?p=2117363

Original post:

Now I know there have been various talks about this in the past, but not one of them actually answered this question. I tried contacting the DEvs, but they seem busy reading old PMs XD.

So, on to the question: Is the use of graphical/shader injector mods (read SweetFX) allowed to use for Warframe? I'd really like to use it for LumaSharpen, SMAA, and perhaps some color tint changes.

If anyone has an answer to this, please do post and include source if possible. Thanks!

Edited by xxx7

So! Figured out what was causing my Warframe the crash every time I tried to load Fraps with SweetFX after I logged in.

The RTSSHooksLoader64.exe, which is used by MSI Afterburner, sometimes it'll actually have duplicate .exe's, which is a bug. How ever if any of them are still running in the background when running Warframe with SweetFX and you attempt to then run fraps after logging in, your game will then crash.

So to get around this just close out of MSI afterburner then open up the task manager and locate and End the RTSSHooksLoader64.exe's. Some times there are more then 1 left behind.

Doing this has resolved my previous issues, Now I can take Awesome Screenshots in .PNG! Woot! *Runs off to go Space Ninja some unfortunate souls :D*

So! Figured out what was causing my Warframe the crash every time I tried to load Fraps with SweetFX after I logged in.

The RTSSHooksLoader64.exe, which is used by MSI Afterburner, sometimes it'll actually have duplicate .exe's, which is a bug. How ever if any of them are still running in the background when running Warframe with SweetFX and you attempt to then run fraps after logging in, your game will then crash.

So to get around this just close out of MSI afterburner then open up the task manager and locate and End the RTSSHooksLoader64.exe's. Some times there are more then 1 left behind.

Doing this has resolved my previous issues, Now I can take Awesome Screenshots in .PNG! Woot! *Runs off to go Space Ninja some unfortunate souls :D*

Not there if I kill Afterburner. Wont go away if I try to kill it while afterburner is running. 

Still crashes with Afterburner. 

Not there if I kill Afterburner. Wont go away if I try to kill it while afterburner is running. 

Still crashes with Afterburner. 

Afterburner seems to have a major issue with WF, I have yet to ever get it to work with WF, best thing to do is to just disable it completely before starting up WF otherwise your game will just crash :(.

Afterburner seems to have a major issue with WF, I have yet to ever get it to work with WF, best thing to do is to just disable it completely before starting up WF otherwise your game will just crash :(.

My other issue... I can't alt+tab successfully without crashing to turn it on afterwards.

Tread carefully.

This is really something that only a dev can answer, unless someone else has had the guts to try it already.  I dunno about Warframe, but ToS's in general usually have something along the lines that restrict the modding of game files as they technically do not belong to you or something to that measure.

First off, people we're using Sweetfx  since nearly the very start of Warframe's open beta. Second, the dev's (DE_Steve specifically) gave official word a VERY long time ago that it is ok to use Sweetfx. Third it is not a bannable offense PERIOD (so long as you are using it for its intended purpose), as sweetfx is an injector for DirectX and no the game itself, by doing this, while it can change the visual of the game as a whole, it cannot make specific things within the game change or modify actual data in the game itself. Think of it this way, sweetfx is like a set of 3D glasses and Warframe is a 3D movie, without the glasses the movie is super blurry and has the whole double vision thing going, while with 3D glasses (sweetfx) you can see the movie clear and benefit from the fancy 3D visuals. In this example the movie itself is always the same and never changes, but how you look at it does Just make sure you read up on how to use Sweetfx but as a whole, sweetfx will not get you banned if you are using it as it is intended to be used. 

I never had an issue with Afterburner other than the fact it couldn't record WF. Then again, I haven't used it in a while.

Hey guys! I am having a bit of a conundrum right now - thought some of you may be of help ...

I just got around to installing SweetFX into Warframe - but I am a long time user of the injector - across various titles - so I'm not entirely new at this.

Experiencing crashes at random times today - haven't isolated a cause within game - suspect it may be the injector/preset issues. Problem is - I just installed this about an hour before all the update + hotfix madness today!

So - have I borked setting up the 64bit version again (its happened before!) ... or is something in the recent updates making stuff all squiffy for you guys too?

Hey guys! I am having a bit of a conundrum right now - thought some of you may be of help ...

I just got around to installing SweetFX into Warframe - but I am a long time user of the injector - across various titles - so I'm not entirely new at this.

Experiencing crashes at random times today - haven't isolated a cause within game - suspect it may be the injector/preset issues. Problem is - I just installed this about an hour before all the update + hotfix madness today!

So - have I borked setting up the 64bit version again (its happened before!) ... or is something in the recent updates making stuff all squiffy for you guys too?

any other overlays like afterburner or dxtory?

any other overlays like afterburner or dxtory?

Nope - no overlays - don't even run Steam with Warframe.

I removed SweetFX and am still getting crashes - think its related to the new Liset lighting. Its happening randomly on the ship - never in missions - always shortly after I change my frames colour scheme.

So I`m going out on a limb and say its not SweetFX :D

Nope - no overlays - don't even run Steam with Warframe.

I removed SweetFX and am still getting crashes - think its related to the new Liset lighting. Its happening randomly on the ship - never in missions - always shortly after I change my frames colour scheme.

So I`m going out on a limb and say its not SweetFX :D

Keep us posted ;)

WIndows 8.1 keeps converting it into a wordpad doc so it doesn't work when I put it in the warframe folder. help plz.

I'm not getting the files like this

1.jpg

instead it's like this

lvln15i.png

I do not have access to Win8 so I can't help you on that one. However, there are some great people here who do and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out ;)

WIndows 8.1 keeps converting it into a wordpad doc so it doesn't work when I put it in the warframe folder. help plz.

I'm not getting the files like this

1.jpg

instead it's like this

lvln15i.png

From what I see, you've downloaded a preset instead of SweetFX. You need SweetFX to run the preset, and the version that I've personally used is found here which was found in the first post if you looked at xxx7: "on that link he refers people to download a certain build of sweetFX here: http://forums.guru3d...4&postcount=528" That zip folder has all the required SweetFX files, which you need to extract into the appropriate section and then move the preset you wish to use into the appropriate location.

Thanks can you add these settings as well...as maybe Option 2 or something...? The pics above are from using these settings below.

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                      Choose effects                         /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
#define USE_FXAA_ANTIALIASING 1 //[0 or 1] FXAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique
#define USE_CA                0 //[0 or 1] Chromatic aberration. You can only use Chromatic Aberration OR the Explosion Shader. Not both at the same time.
#define USE_EXPLOSION         0 //[0 or 1] Explosion : Scatters the pixels, making the image look fuzzy.
#define USE_CARTOON           0 //[0 or 1] Cartoon : "Toon"s the image.(Interferes with SMAA, CRT, Bloom, HDR and Lumasharpen)
#define USE_LEVELS            1 //[0 or 1] Levels : Sets a new black and white point. This increases contrast but causes clipping. Use Curves instead if you want to avoid that.
#define USE_ADVANCED_CRT      0 //[0 or 1] Advanced CRT : Simulates an old CRT TV display. Set gaussian blur along with it to get a halation effect
#define USE_BLOOM             0 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR               1 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN       1 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_GAUSSIAN          1 //[0 or 1] Gaussian Blur : can be used to... blur, but also bloom/hazy/glowy look, also unsharp masking
#define USE_FILMGRAIN         1 //[0 or 1] Filmgrain effect
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR       0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX               1 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_MONOCHROME        0 //[0 or 1] Monochrome : Monochrome makes the colors disappear.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN     1 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP           1 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE          1 //[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES            1 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA             0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE          0 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER            1 //[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_BORDER            0 //[0 or 1] Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN       0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

#define USE_CUSTOM            0 //[0 or 1] Custom : Write your own shader by editing custom.h, and then enable it here.

/                  SMAA Anti-aliasing settings                /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.15           //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 32     //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 16       //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1        //[0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
                                      //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

/                  FXAA Anti-aliasing settings                /
#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 39      //[1 to 39] Choose the quality preset. 39 is the highest quality.
#define fxaa_Subpix 0.800            //[0.000 to 1.000] Choose the amount of sub-pixel aliasing removal.
#define fxaa_EdgeThreshold 0.61    //[0.000 to 1.000] Edge detection threshold. The minimum amount of local contrast required to apply algorithm.
#define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin 0.5  //[0.000 to 1.000] Darkness threshold. Trims the algorithm from processing darks.

/                       Chromatic aberration                   /
#define outfocus  0.00                     //[0.00 to 1.000] How strong the effect should be.

/                     Explosion settings                      /
#define Explosion_Radius    1.0     //[0.2 to 100.0] Amount of effect you want.

/                      Cartoon settings                       /
#define CartoonPower         4.0     //[0.1 to 10.0] Amount of effect you want.
#define CartoonEdgeSlope     6.0     //[0.1 to 8.0] Raise this to filter out fainter edges. You might need to increase the power to compensate. Whole numbers are faster.

/*----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                       Levels settings                      /
  '----------------------------------------------------------*/

#define Levels_black_point 8    //[0 to 255] The black point is the new black - literally. Everything darker than this will become completely black. Default is 16.0
#define Levels_white_point 238   //[0 to 255] The new white point. Everything brighter than this becomes completely white. Default is 235.0

//Colors between the two points will stretched, which increases contrast, but details above and below the points are lost (this is called clipping).

/*----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                    Advanced CRT settings                   /
  '----------------------------------------------------------*/
#define CRTAmount            1.00    //[0.00 to 1.00]  Amount of CRT effect you want

#define CRTResolution        1.0     //[1.0 to 8.0]    Input size coefficent (low values gives the "low-res retro look"). Default is 1.2
#define CRTgamma             2.2     //[0.0 to 4.0]    Gamma of simulated CRT (default 2.2)
#define CRTmonitorgamma      2.4     //[0.0 to 4.0]    Gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
#define CRTBrightness        1.2     //[1.0 to 3.0]    Used to boost brightness a little. Default is 1.0
#define CRTScanlineIntensity 2.0     //[2.0 to 4.0]    Scanlines intensity (use integer values preferably). Default is 2.0
#define CRTScanlineGaussian  1       //[0 or 1]        Use the "new nongaussian scanlines bloom effect". Default is on

#define CRTCurvature         1       //[[0 or 1]          "Barrel effect" enabled (1) or off (0)
#define CRTCurvatureRadius   2.0     //[0.0 to 2.0]       Curvature Radius (only effective when Curvature is enabled). Default is 1.5
#define CRTCornerSize        0.0100  //[0.0000 to 0.0020] Higher values, more rounded corner. Default is 0.001
#define CRTDistance          2.00    //[0.00 to 4.00]     Simulated distance from viewer to monitor. Default is 2.00
#define CRTAngleX            0.00    //[-0.20 to 0.20]    Tilt angle in radians (X coordinates)
#define CRTAngleY           -0.15   //[-0.20 to 0.20]    Tilt angle in radians (Y coordinates). (Value of -0.15 gives the 'arcade tilt' look)
#define CRTOverScan          1.00    //[1.00 to 1.10]     Overscan (e.g. 1.02 for 2% overscan). Default is 1.01
#define CRTOversample        0       //[0 or 1]           Enable 3x oversampling of the beam profile (warning : performance hit)

/                  Bloom settings                             /
#define BloomThreshold 16.25 //[0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower 1.446     //[0.000 to 8.000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth 0.0142    //[0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/                  HDR settings                               /
#define HDRPower 1.10  //[0.00 to 8.00] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2  0.80  //[0.00 to 8.00] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/                  LumaSharpen settings                       /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 2.75   //[0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp    0.200  //[0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 4        //[1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias 1.0  //[0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
                         //I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen 0   //[0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/                  Gaussian Blur settings                     /
#define GaussEffect 2        //[0|1|2|3]        0 = Blur, 1 = Unsharpmask (expensive), 2 = Bloom, 3 = Sketchy. Default is 2
#define GaussQuality 2       //[0|1|2|3]        Warning: 2 and 3 are expensive. Default is 1
#define GaussSigma 3       //[1 to 4]         The higher the wider blur/bloom is (only effective when Bloom selected)
#define GaussBloomWarmth 2   //[0|1|2]          "Temperature" of the bloom - 0 = neutral, 1 = warm, 2 = hazy/foggy
#define GaussThreshold 0.50  //[0.00 to 1.00]   [DX10/11 only] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define GaussExposure 43.0   //[0.00 to 100.00] [DX10/11 only] Exposure of the effect (the lower the brighter)
#define GaussStrength 0.15  //[0.00 to 1.00]   Amount of effect blended into the final image

/                  Film grain settings                        /
#define FilmGrainIntensity 0.06  //[0.00 to 1.00] Intensity of grain. Default is 0.46
#define FilmGrainExposure 25     //[0 to 100]     Grain Exposure. Default is 40 (Lower -> darker noise)
#define FilmGrainSize 5          //[0 to 10]      Size of the grain. Default is 2 (Higher -> thinner noise)

/                  TECHNICOLOR settings                       /
#define TechniAmount 0.95         //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define TechniPower  3.5         //[0.00 to 8.00]
#define redNegativeAmount   0.74 //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.83 //[0.00 to 1.00]
#define blueNegativeAmount  0.9 //[0.00 to 1.00]

/                  Cineon DPX settings                        /

Just noticed that after DPX it stops.

Looks interesting...will have to look into this!

I have reshade running in Dying Light on Windows 8.1. Looks amazing.

rkpWD1l.jpg

oMo10wl.jpg

But I can't get it running int Warframe. I think it needs everything in the Tools folder, maybe... I will try that after work today.