Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe is a social game? What? Since when?

SilverDirge

Question

So, this might come as a shock to the community at large, but I have never personally seen the kind of "helpful community" that people claim Warframe to be. I spent all of my time on Warframe bouncing between random teams and going solo, and not once have I ever been approached for friendship from anyone I didn't know offline already. I've never been offered help, despite asking for it multiple times in region or team chat, and no one has ever gifted me anything out of the blue. Every time I asked for help, I was either met with silence or a quickly entered "git gud noob" or, rarely, a tirade in my whispers about how I should just stop playing and kill myself if I can't figure it out myself.

So for me, this claim that "Warframe is the friendliest and best community game out there" is untrue. I've never felt more isolated and alone on a server full of people playing the same game, or hell, even the same MISSION. The rare occasions anyone says anything in mission, I just ignore it now because I'm busy trying to carry the damn mission while everyone else is standing around talking and dying. I don't talk during missions unless something needs to be done or something neat drops. Talking is for when I'm not being shot at by Grineer.

So, I guess my issue/question is this: Where are all of these supposedly "friendly" community members in game? Where are these super-helpful Max Mastery Rank people that just go around helping people level up and progress? Where is the community I was told existed?

On the forums, apparently. Where I basically haven't been until today. Thanks, Warframe. Real helpful.

Edited by SilverDirge
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SilverDirge said:

So for me, this claim that "Warframe is the friendliest and best community game out there" is untrue.

So, I guess my issue/question is this: Where are all of these supposedly "friendly" community members in game? Where are these super-helpful Max Mastery Rank people that just go around helping people level up and progress? Where is the community I was told existed?

It's rare for those kinds of people to be in region chat because how it's establish that it's not worth it being in there. I don't know the full experience of it, but from forum posts it's something along the lines of "not fun" and "toxic" from time to time.

On top of that, make sure you are in there around the evening as times before that are usually work/school times. Less people, lower chances of coming across one.

The folks who tend to be nice, hand out mods, help out other players, etc are usually the ones with little else to do in the game. It makes sense that the people who aren’t currently focused on their own personal progression spend a lot more time doing these things than someone spending their time trying to get mastery, farm mods, complete the star chart, etc. 

And it’s very likely most of these vets don’t even log in frequently right now because of that exact same lack of things to do. Most of us are waiting for Empyrean to drop, occasionally popping on the forums to check for updates, answering a question or helping somebody while we’re there. Then we close the tab and try again the next day. 

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, SilverDirge said:

Where are all of these supposedly "friendly" community members in game?

Forum and ingame (The latter requires a lot of trial and error)

Where are these super-helpful Max Mastery Rank people that just go around helping people level up and progress?

Forum, Region Chat, Trading Chat, Recruitment Chat and Relay/Public Hub Chat... See the pattern?

Where is the community I was told existed?

Forum and ingame.

30 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

The folks who tend to be nice, hand out mods, help out other players, etc are usually the ones with little else to do in the game. It makes sense that the people who aren’t currently focused on their own personal progression spend a lot more time doing these things than someone spending their time trying to get mastery, farm mods, complete the star chart, etc. 

And it’s very likely most of these vets don’t even log in frequently right now because of that exact same lack of things to do. Most of us are waiting for Empyrean to drop, occasionally popping on the forums to check for updates, answering a question or helping somebody while we’re there. Then we close the tab and try again the next day. 

Let me rephrase what Nitresco said, because what I'm going to rephrase it into is what really happens.

30 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

The folks who tend to be nice, hand out mods, help out other players, etc are usually the ones so bored out of their lives that they'll feel forced to do more than using the chat to cut out the boredom. (...)

Pretty much all the vets, at the exception of me a few others, don’t even log in because even chatting randomly like a dum'-dum' isn't exciting anymore. Also, they stopped logging in under the pretext of waiting for Empyrean to drop. (...)

Excluding the ones that actually work for a living, this is what happens.

... Hope I was helpful... And no, I'm not a bad person, otherwise I wouldn't have recruits under my wing.

Edited by Uhkretor

Warframe community is the same as any other community. There's the minority of helpful people, there's the general in the middle that vary by day people, then there's the other minority consisting of negative people.

The "friendlier than other communities" thing is just an illusion that stems from how low the failure rate is compared to other PvE games, no real end game to strive for, and dead pvp. This results in people seeing little to no raging during missions, since they rarely fail, and mistake a lack of rage for friendliness.

Although, I personally find region chat to be a terrible place to try and get help, I disabled it since most of the time it's just people trolling. You could try recruit chat to get a group to help if you need though, and forums aren't as bad due to people who respond will typically be more interested in helping..

Edited by Yamazuki
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, SilverDirge said:

The rare occasions anyone says anything in mission, I just ignore it now because I'm busy trying to carry the damn mission while everyone else is standing around talking and dying. I don't talk during missions unless something needs to be done or something neat drops. Talking is for when I'm not being shot at by Grineer.

Please tell me you see the problem and the irony in the whole situation youre presenting? 

• Like 1

Something I've seen in literally every video game I've played is that the more popular it gets; the less polite it gets.

From what I can tell this is in part from catering to a more generalized group of gamers which just tend to be self interested or toxic. That attitude then spreads to the long term players who lose interest or become more toxic themselves. Then of course you have situations specific to DE where they've pretty much ignored and set aside their long term loyal fans in exchange for a broader audience which is understandably frustrating.

If I do join a public game for some reason however. I do not talk unless someone talks to me. In part to using a keypad and team cooperation being needless. I do not ever look at region and  in 6 years I've only accidentally spoken in it. I only look at trade for brief periods usually overpaying or undercharging to get back to the game.

I personally have made myself immune to much of this simply by playing Solo majority of the time. I still give people things on the forums and in-game through conversation. I have actually never dealt with a toxic trade. Most likely due to being the seller? Around 1/3 of my friends list is from trades and the conversations that came from it. 3 members of my Clan I met through trading and give them my extra Arcane Energize / Grace from Nightwave well as boosters and other things like Imp Vandal sets because it's an awful farm.

I don't respond to beggars. Never have but if I see someone putting their time into the game I don't mind helping out.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverDirge said:

As said above really, the people you're 'hearing about' are most likely veterans/end gamers and well most of us are in a holding pattern while waiting on railjack etc. 

Having said that, we also don't like it when players are basically asking for stuff instead of trying to get it themselves or improve things. 

As to 'giving free stuff' away, I gave a rubico prime part a few days back to a 'random' who I'd only just met because we were just chatting away while chilling doing a fissure mission and sods law had 2 items pop up he needed, one being a rare part and one being the rubico part.... so I just gave him the rubico part as I had spares.

Today I've given a load of stuff to a clan mate who's been away for a while due to his course commitments.... so what you're saying about DOES happen so have you considered some of it might be down to you....

The rare occasions anyone says anything in mission, I just ignore it now because I'm busy trying to carry the damn mission while everyone else is standing around talking and dying. I don't talk during missions unless something needs to be done or something neat drops. Talking is for when I'm not being shot at by Grineer.

Um... so you're complaining that no one talks to you yet you you just ignore those that do speak to you..... yep makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Pretext

“Pretext” suggests it wouldn’t be the real reason. If people aren’t playing because they need something to do, then they’re likely waiting for something to do. That next something to do is the Empyrean update(s) and all that comes with it. To claim that “waiting for Empyrean” is a pretext for what is essentially “waiting for Empyrean” is fundamentally flawed.

Speaking of working for a living, most of the reason I even comment on these forums is because I need something to do on my multiple 10-hour night shifts, since the workload is sporadic. If I didn’t have friends who just got into the game or a job that required methods to pass the time, I’d likely be in full hibernation mode until Empyrean hits. So you’re correct about the whole “not logging in because even chatting is boring” thing. 

... "pretext" triggered you, eh?

9 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

To claim that “waiting for Empyrean” is a pretext for what is essentially “waiting for Empyrean” is fundamentally flawed.

... Heh, a Duviri sentence... The first section didn't happen, not from me anyway... Even if you think its flawed, its still true.

Edited by Uhkretor

So, this might come as a shock to the community at large, but I have never personally seen the kind of "helpful community" that people claim Warframe to be. I spent all of my time on Warframe bouncing between random teams and going solo, and not once have I ever been approached for friendship from anyone I didn't know offline already. I've never been offered help, despite asking for it multiple times in region or team chat, and no one has ever gifted me anything out of the blue. Every time I asked for help, I was either met with silence or a quickly entered "git gud noob" or, rarely, a tirade in my whispers about how I should just stop playing and kill myself if I can't figure it out myself.

So for me, this claim that "Warframe is the friendliest and best community game out there" is untrue. I've never felt more isolated and alone on a server full of people playing the same game, or hell, even the same MISSION. The rare occasions anyone says anything in mission, I just ignore it now because I'm busy trying to carry the damn mission while everyone else is standing around talking and dying. I don't talk during missions unless something needs to be done or something neat drops. Talking is for when I'm not being shot at by Grineer.

On the forums, apparently. Where I basically haven't been until today. Thanks, Warframe. Real helpful.

I'm the type of player who helps others, gives away parts for ammo drum, and I help players out. When I started playing I met other players who helped me out in various ways so I help others out, and also because I'm helpful and I don't like selling stuff for high prices as others do. It's just not me. 

Never fails to amuse me what exactly people decide to focus on to help them feel better about being butts. Do you think that I was always silent in team chat? No, I was more or less convinced by the behavior of others to stop participating in it, because it was never about the mission or what needed to be done.

As for "begging", I've never actually done that, that I can think of? I tend to not think I'm deserving of people spending money on me for any reason, so it always surprises me when people DO give me things, no matter if its in game or not. Sorry for having gripes and issues, I guess? I came to the forum to get a question answered, not defend my entire post from a bunch of heels who wanted something to pick apart.

Regardless, I likely won't be back after this. I have better things to do. Like grinding. XD

Edited by SilverDirge
Forum changed a word to random characters for no reason.

4 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... "pretext" triggered you, eh?

Yes, that's my trigger. People misusing a word. "Triggered" is another example. In fact, you triggered me so hard, I'm going to log in and take a low-quality screenshot of whatever NPC greets me with my login reward, hopefully while making a very triggered face. It will make a wonderful pretext to just how hard I am triggered right now.

B0ZQNeR.png

@SilverDirge

I help players out when I'm actually looking at ingame chat and feel like it, normally it's just toxic but I have seen good in there as well.

Sometimes I'll either just give the player a mod if I sense they're genuine to get them out of trouble until they get their own, or I'll help with a mission (taxi), mainly go with them if the mission gets a bit heavy I keep reviving the player/group or help when the herd gets a bit much and the players type help so to speak, then I'll thin the crowd and then stand around again as support and watch, though my damn sentinel kills while I stand there.

It's sort of funny to watch because we all have been there before I'd guess, running from enemies thinking leave me alone I know my gun isn't strong enough yet let me live and I'll leave peacefully😀 

Take the Wolf of Saturn Six for example some players had trouble killing him as soon as the Wolf turned up they'd either abort the mission or just get smashed over and over as soon as Wolfy spawned in the game I'd activate and go kill it for them which they were grateful as every other encounter they got smashed everytime and got the parts they needed and increased my collection of Wolf sledge parts too.

Some will say why bother but I know some players never had a good CO-OP group to play with and talk on TS/Discord as well. Our groups full but there out there.

If you want to experience players who have one goal and that's to not let you get a kill then open your game to the public and watchem flood in with their nuke frames. :facepalm: nuke frames are fine as long as the one using them is respectful to the lower MR ranks in server.

Warframe is an awesome game, at times we all get bored nothing to do but overall I've never experienced a game like it and I've played all types I was playing games back when everyone was only on dial-up in Australia.

9 hours ago, SilverDirge said:

So, this might come as a shock to the community at large, but I have never personally seen the kind of "helpful community" that people claim Warframe to be.

Sup. It doesn't really count since we're not in-game, but hi.

I spent all of my time on Warframe bouncing between random teams and going solo, and not once have I ever been approached for friendship from anyone I didn't know offline already.

Define friendship. Are we talking about real friendship where you have lasting conversations outside of the game? No one I met in-game fits that bill. I don't fit that bill for anyone who met me in-game. The only people I converse with about life are friends I met on the forum.

In-game I friend people (and they friend me) and we trade, become clanmates (not that often now, but in the early days), and run missions.

I've never been offered help, despite asking for it multiple times in region or team chat, and no one has ever gifted me anything out of the blue.

I started in December 2014, stopped when I was wallrunning and got stuck in a wall. Came back in 2015. My early days are a blur, but I distinctly remember getting advice from other players in-game in the same mission whenever I asked for it. I remember getting help from clan members (I was probably the second person to join our clan, now I'm a co-lead with another early clan mate since our founder is on hiatus). And I remember learning to be cooperative and give advice to others as well.

Very rarely would I ask in Region. Despite a lot of people who really do help in Region, Region has always been a circus. An overwhelming one when you are new. Love it or hate it, it's never going to change. It's why some of us advocated for a Players Help chat tab. That way, Region can never change and those who only want to help can hang out in Players Help.

I've received offers of help on the subreddit. More likely I'd ask for advice from people I was in a squad with, or they'd share some tip, or we'd talk tactics and builds. Then that would extend to whispers if either of us still needed tips. That still happens now because there's plenty I still don't know, new stuff added all the time.

So for help, because there was so much content out there, I either would ask or proactively seek it on my own time (fansites). 

I don't think I've ever gotten a gift out of the blue, either.

The gifts I can remember were friends sending me something after I'd sent them something, trading bonuses, rewards from a Tenno-made challenge mission, and the Hildryn set (with all her goodies). That last one was the most expensive gift I'd ever gotten. It was from a forum buddy. We'd been discussing how neither of us had a lot of time for the Hildryn and Nightwave S1 grinds. I'd put her on my wishlist and not considered anyone would gift her. I used my wishlist to keep track of things I wanted to buy once I'd gotten enough plat. (After that, I removed all the wishlist items like warframes and deluxe skins.) Funny thing was, I was planning on buying that friend the same set once I'd obtained the plat. Turned out they already bought her. 

Every time I asked for help, I was either met with silence or a quickly entered "git gud noob" or, rarely, a tirade in my whispers about how I should just stop playing and kill myself if I can't figure it out myself.

That sucks and I hope you reported those Tenno and put them on your ignore list (those that said to kill yourself). Not everyone is like that, though. If you were asking in Region chat, I'd second everyone that said to ask in Recruiting instead. The forum and the subreddit are good places to try. 

So for me, this claim that "Warframe is the friendliest and best community game out there" is untrue.

Warframe is a community made up of people. People should not be placed on a pedestal. Neither should Warframe. Not the game, not the community, and not the devs. Both the community and the devs are just people. Most people try, most of the time, to be decent. But some people are also &##holes. Often that is amplified by the internet and anonymity. 

Warframe is, often, a less baldly and traditionally toxic environment and culture than other game communities. This is owed, in part, to:

-the game's coop nature and no dominant PVP (No matter how decent I try to be in other PVP games, certain kinds of players, cheaters, and exploits will bring out the toxicity in me. Guaranteed.)

-the game's math(s) heavy systems, steep learning curves, and lack of DE-created tutorials. This gave rise to a fan-run guidance system that is informal (in-game chat) and more formal with several fan-run sites, tools, channels, and communities in existence

-moderation and an encouragement to be positive, civil

It doesn't mean toxicity is nonexistent. That would be impossible. Where people exist, toxicity will too. Also, toxicity takes many forms outside of the kind you experienced.

I've never felt more isolated and alone on a server full of people playing the same game, or hell, even the same MISSION.

Feeling alone or isolated shouldn't be conflated with toxicity, though. I have more friends (on my in-game friends list) than I can count and I cannot remember the bulk of them. We friended each other with the intention of interacting and running missions together, but the nature of the game (and size of the community) allows me to either solo a mission or jump into a random squad (or build one) and run the mission.

The game's meta is expediency and efficiency. Often running missions (when we have time) with whoever is online is more expedient and efficient. When you run most of your missions with random people like I do (even the clan mates I'm closest to are never really on when I'm on), or solo, how well can you know anyone?

Okay. A lot of people play this way. I understand this, but it doesn't have a place in your core argument, or question.

Well, many of us still play the game. Many do not play it (as mentioned by others). Many of us aren't max mastery rank or vets. Your bad experiences do not invalidate our existence. The bad experiences I've had with toxic players don't invalidate the stories I read about decent players helping newbies. 

Maybe you never got the kind of help people tell stories about. Why has that stopped you from trying to be the kind of Tenno you needed when you were coming up? Has it? Maybe you are helping others and giving gifts. I don't know. Are you?

Just try to be decent. That's all any of us can do.

Edited by Rhekemi

I was playing a 30 min survival with a guy who stayed with me til the end. I had to revive him a few times. He told me he was looking for Life Strike for quite some time. I checked my inventory, saw 4, so I gave him one.

Furthermore, marking rare items and reviving players is pretty common in this game.

Wow. My experience has been the exact opposite. I'm always seeing happy friendly players in-game and it's like once in a blue moon someone decides to be outright rude or mean. The only consistent toxicity I ever see is here or really anywhere outside of the actual game. Even region chat never looks that bad whenever I look at it. Sure it can be insanity but it's not the hellscape of cruelty and anger people are making it out to be.

This largely depends on your region and time and current content update state. 

You join in a region that's in its low traffic state there will be fewer people. 

You join at a time when the last update happened a few months ago all the friendly vets will be playing something else. 

You join a region where most people don't speak the language they will not respond. 

A lot of the older friendly players just don't play anymore, these were the guys that helped, their activity is just gone down now. 

Also the " other " observations are not entirely accurate by calling it the least toxic or friendly, there is very little possibility of loss or competition as the game is predominantly pve, 

Tridolon can get extremely toxic, I don't think any of the reviewers played public Tridolon before they made their comments. 

And as always, there is always going to be variety in any community. I would call majority of the community as indifferent, not friendly or toxic. 

@SIlverDirge

U seem to be the best example for the most frequent problem in Warframe. Impatience.

Its completely understandable, that people want to finish as fast as possible and of course this game offers a huge variety of possibilities to spped up gameplaying.

As a result nobody has time to talk a lot. Do not expect anybody asking how u are doing or even a hello.

Anyway ,besides a few toxic superpros, this is the game in which I found most people helping me after asking politely in missions or about gear. 

12 hours ago, Nitresco said:

Yes, that's my trigger. People misusing a word. "Triggered" is another example. In fact, you triggered me so hard, I'm going to log in and take a low-quality screenshot of whatever NPC greets me with my login reward, hopefully while making a very triggered face. It will make a wonderful pretext to just how hard I am triggered right now.

B0ZQNeR.png

... Good to know you get triggered by the "pretext" word. And here I thought you would get triggered by "work for a living", which is a lot more serious in the grand scheme of life.

... It still true what I said before, though.

3 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... It still true what I said before, though.

... Your continuous insistence on claiming you’re right in every reply fills me with only the most complete confidence regarding the validity of such a statement.

... Have a blessed day. Try not to miss too many more details.  

This topic is hardly the place to have such silly conversations in the first place, even if somebody’s intention was to compromise the integrity of it. 

Edited by Nitresco

54 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

... Your continuous insistence on claiming you’re right in every reply fills me with only the most complete confidence regarding the validity of such a statement.

... Have a blessed day. Try not to miss too many more details. 

... as long as I make you quote me incessantly, I'm happy...

... as soon as you get tired of quoting me incessantly, out of spite because of the previous line, then the truth will remain true as it never stopped being... Which makes me equally happy.

... Because, afaik, you're making a storm in a shot glass about a single word that doesn't affect you in the least simply because you -have- a reason not to be included in my reply to the OP, as I specified in the "translation" quote I performed of your reply to the OP.

I mean, one does have to be honest about what's really happening, but I'm beginning to wonder if your problem is really the "pretext" word or its simply because I "honestified" your post to the OP.

Because, if you can't be honest and straightforward to the OP (as this is in the "Players helping players" sub-section) and explain stuff as it really is, then I might as well just do it myself and let you take the credit for it. And if I was the OP, having the same problem he/she is having, I would be seeing your initial reply as a red flag, and all the consecutive replies to whoever you were engaged with in "Quote Warz" as the following:

200.gif

Now, I'm not saying that the OP isn't to blame for his/her attitude mid-mission. With all the stuff that usually goes on, can't be losing time to write (because everything is reduced to speedrunning outside of Solo, unless its an endless mission) because people will get offended by it. Hell, people don't really want to lose time from mission start to extraction, and even then extraction has to be instantaneous as it is in a Solo mission otherwise they'll create several consecutive topics about taking the Extraction Timer out and how overly offended they got because of it..

Despite the fact that my reply to the OP says what's really happening, whether people like it or not, every player has his/her share of experiences as a new player being "helped" in many different ways. Fortunately, I didn't go through that ordeal (I'm too pragmatic to be waste my time depending on others for help, and too proud of learning new stuff by myself), but I never deny access to proper advices ingame, which is why I keep getting recruits under my wings on the very rare occasions that someone asks for help and I'm in my Orbiter. Unfortunately, since I'm always executing missions alone, those that actually need help aren't getting it because I'm not in the several public chats due to being busy with missions.

Edited by Uhkretor

22 hours ago, SilverDirge said:

Where are all of these supposedly "friendly" community members in game?

Hi,currently here.Time is limited,I can't be in-game all the time.I also can't be on every region chat at once and region is hidden during missions.I help people as much as it is needed,I do not answer question that can be answered faster by google.

22 hours ago, SilverDirge said:

no one has ever gifted me anything out of the blue

And no one will.If u ask someone for basic mods,they may give it to you but otherwise don't count on it.

23 hours ago, SilverDirge said:

Every time I asked for help, I was either met with silence or a quickly entered "git gud noob" or, rarely, a tirade in my whispers about how I should just stop playing and kill myself if I can't figure it out myself.

I call it BS.

23 hours ago, SilverDirge said:

Guess why others don't talk.

17 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

I had hoped that an allusion to some specific missed details would make you go back and reassess the conversation so far. Unfortunately, all that has happened was a large wall of text birthed from that very same misunderstanding. Allow me to point some of these things out.

The only difference between the initial reasons I gave and your cynical paraphrase is the suggestion that "waiting for Empyrean" was only a pretext for not logging in. It is one thing to "translate" somebody's words under the pretext of being "honest and straightfoward" with somebody seeking an answer, but it is another to transcribe claims they never made under their name. So yes, it does involve me. Generally misquoting somebody tends to involve them. In this case, it is not the word "pretext" itself, but the way you have warped my words via the (mis)usage of it. However, telling somebody on the internet to not misquote you is usually ineffective and tends to cause them to do it more. Instead, I simply chose to point out that "pretext" was misused since it was, in essence, the one thing I disagreed with. I even bothered to agree with you after pointing out the simple mistake. Of course, somebody can't simply disagree with something and provide reason for it, nowadays. No, they can only be "le triggered xd".

All that happened after that is essentially just you repeating "you're triggered, I'm right".

With this clarification, all that has been said need be said. If "duh quote warz" bother you so much, I'll gladly end them here. This conversation has plagued this topic far too long, regardless. I'm honestly surprised OP didn't request a lock yet. Once more, have a blessed day.

ANccltL.jpg