Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the point of secondary weapons?

Gromzok

So may times I just threw away my primary and pulled out my Akstilleto Prime in a mission. That gun strips armor like nothing else and melts anything it touches in seconds. I know there are also a few other secondaries just as powerful if not more so ((People have posted about them in here.))

I know some secondaries are trash but many of them are incredibly useful to have on hand.

19 hours ago, Gromzok said:

Ok first of all this is not bashing on secondary weapons its a genuine question. I am still pretty new to Warframe but i am at a point where i got 3 builds (working on more) that can melt anything up to lvl 120 without effort and i never used secondary weapons. Can someone tell me their purpose and recommend good ones for endless missions? My fav part of the game is pushing myself to my limits through endless missions so i need weapons that are effective against high lvl enemies.

The point is to provide more status for condition overload exponential scaling, all weapons are subservient to melee period.

I generally use firearms as a secondary killing tool, I prefer melee.

I love my boar prime because it's good at spreading status. 100% status with radiation is excellent at high levels when enemies take a lot of shots to take down. Viral makes the job easier with all factions and isp is important for condition overload (as someone who likes melee). It also rolls lv 100 enemies over (and I have a riven which helps).

My secondary is often pyrana. Good at clearing areas of most enemies fast. Helps me when I'm carrying things and when I'm going down - I can clear enemies for team mates so they'll have easier time reviving me. If I feel like using a different kind of heavy hitter instead I'll go with euphona.

I usually pick weapons that compliment each other, and it depends on what mission or map I'm about to do.  As an example, if I'm on the Plains of Eidolon, I usually use a Corinth, or Synapse for Primary along with a Sicarus Prime for secondary.  I'll use the Sicarus on long range targets like distant turrets on the ground, or the turrets on the airships that shoot at me.  To be fair, a lot of missions don't require you to switch weapons.  

Another thing, I usually make sure one of my weapons is ammo efficient and the other one might not be.  Astilla, for example, can run out of ammo.  But if I have a Catchmoon secondary, I won't worry about it.

9 hours ago, Proslackernifty said:

I usually pick weapons that compliment each other, and it depends on what mission or map I'm about to do.  As an example, if I'm on the Plains of Eidolon, I usually use a Corinth, or Synapse for Primary along with a Sicarus Prime for secondary.  I'll use the Sicarus on long range targets like distant turrets on the ground, or the turrets on the airships that shoot at me.  To be fair, a lot of missions don't require you to switch weapons.  

Another thing, I usually make sure one of my weapons is ammo efficient and the other one might not be.  Astilla, for example, can run out of ammo.  But if I have a Catchmoon secondary, I won't worry about it.

I do that sometimes if I'm actually doing something on the plains other than fishing.  At the very least, I'll try to be sure to bring one hitscan weapon for dealing with dargyns, because they're super hard to lead with projectile weapons and they'll follow you forever if you don't kill them.  😞 

I enjoy my Secondary weapons more than my Primary.  

Pox = Strip enemy armor for frames that dont have that ability.  

Sonicore = Satisfying CC which is heavily reliable. 

Atomos = 1 handed flame thrower that can eat armor or crowd control.  

Usually these are weapons to apply status and I find the novelty of some of these weapons (Including the descriptions) more fun.

Also.

Silent secondaries in case you need to jist promotes more versatility.  I can bring Castanas and set traps.  I can't bring my Soma to do that or my Corinth.

Primaries are much more straight forward while Secondary offer utility on top of damage.  

You can Shoot when carrying something. (Mobile defense, Disruption..) You can swapp weapon when reload time is to much, and maintain your kills, till you get more time to reload rifle... And its fun!

Why do we have +40 warframes, when 3-4 do the work? Because its fun, and we play for fun

On 2019-10-15 at 12:27 AM, Gromzok said:

Ok first of all this is not bashing on secondary weapons its a genuine question. I am still pretty new to Warframe but i am at a point where i got 3 builds (working on more) that can melt anything up to lvl 120 without effort and i never used secondary weapons. Can someone tell me their purpose and recommend good ones for endless missions? My fav part of the game is pushing myself to my limits through endless missions so i need weapons that are effective against high lvl enemies.

You have 3 builds on your primary but can only use 1 during a mission. A lot of secondaries are junior versions of primaries

With a secondary weapon you can just about duplicate 1 build to mimic your primary weapon. Now you have 2 builds you can use in 1 mission

Secondaries add additional elemental oprions. You'll need the variety as enemies get harder and can no longer be defeated easily. Usually during endless missions.   For example , If you like Ignis as blast + corrosive , you can use Embolist as a secondary with viral to cut health in half or radiation to inflict confusion. They are similar weapons. 

If you like snipers,  you can use a secondary to clear faster , hard to hit enemies or clear mobs. 

You can use secondary weapon with glaives, which allows you to throw glaive faster, or shoot while carrying objects.

Some kitgun secondaries are more powerful than most primaries. Kitguns can be outfitted with special attributes like recharging anmo or head seeking orbs.

If you use a sniper for long range in primary slot secondaries give you a good medium range with melee being up close.  You use secondaries if you want to as well, because there are plenty of unique secondaries that differ greatly in terms of playstyle from primaries.  I like secondaries because the mods are better too then primaries with one exception in hunter munitions, which I would kill for on secondaries.  

16 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

If you use a sniper for long range in primary slot secondaries give you a good medium range with melee being up close.  You use secondaries if you want to as well, because there are plenty of unique secondaries that differ greatly in terms of playstyle from primaries.  I like secondaries because the mods are better too then primaries with one exception in hunter munitions, which I would kill for on secondaries.  

Or use whatever primary you want and grab a (Ak)Lex Prime for your "sniper" role. It's a fantastic weapon and has been for a long, long time. Top tier? Probably not anymore, but still highly recommended.

• 2 years later...

TBH I'd love to be able to use the secondary slot for another primary, and vice versa for those who prefer secondaries. They could even limit it to "only one AOE" to prevent people bringing ogris and bramma together. 

I'd use ambassador for one slot, and Nataruk in the second. Rifle and Bow, very cool 😎