Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cure for burn out?

--Aegis--MR9

Question

The game is too depressing right now. I am down to doing syndicate missions just for the sake of doing something! 

There are still many things that I can do (not that I need to do) but nothing is providing the incentive. 

I am forcing myself to enjoy the game and naturally its back firing. 

Friends are screaming at me to play D2 but here is the honest truth. I don't have the energy to learn a new game again and go through the grind. Maybe I am getting too old. I love warframe, I do, and I want to dump my free time into it, but its no longer enjoyable.

Doing index, kuva surv, tridolons, trying to trade a little, I used to truly enjoy these, but feels repetitive now. 

I didnt touch Gauss and Altas Prime yet, didn't even bother farming dethcube and tekko, doesn't have that "new prime" excitement anymore. I dont think I would be playing Grendel as well, although he seems very interesting. I just don't feel like doing anything.

I know I am suffering from the infamous veterans burn out. Is there a cure? Love the game and I want to keep playing. 

P.S. lots of sad emojis.

P.S.S I dont blame DE, there are tons of content for a new players, its not DE's fault that I kept playing one game for ever.

• Like 1

Aside from playing a different game (which may include an older favourite, that can be very effective), I find playing missions without a specific goal in mind can help, and has helped me in the past.

Try and find the reward from playing, instead of just chasing the rewards the game presents. In other words, instead of thinking 'I'm going to run X to get Y' try thinking 'I want to play as X, on Y" Example.

"I'm going to run Index to get a John Prodman poster." vs "I want to play as Gauss, on the Plains of Eidolon".

It's a concept referred to as 'intrinsic' and 'extrinsic' rewards. It's not a perfect solution, but certainly I find it helps me. If I know that playing the game itself is fun, then getting new things will also be more fun, because the process is less of a slog (even if it might take longer) and the reward greater because it's a new toy, instead of a new trinket.

Lastly, and this is more subjective - I'd avoid cheese strategies like the plague. Permanent invisbility, Mapwide CC, nuking - these tend away from playing and interacting with the game in my opinion. From my experience, it is a lot harder to have fun playing a game when you're avoiding playing it as much as possible.

• Like 2

I have the same problem earlier. Now I build gundam models while keeping an eye on the game chat just in case someone want to buy stuff.

Picking another game was not working great for me, it's under the same category. Picking a different hobby did help tho.

• Like 2

Take a break.. play some other game.. I love Warrframe and there's enough content I havent gone through, but playing any game exclusively is bound to cause burn out.. I'm enjoying the Apex Legends Season 3 as a break from Warframe.. pleasant change of pace for a few hours and makes me wanna play WF more when I get off it..

• Like 1

I actually do art when I'm bored with warframe. like, go to captura on green screen, take a screenshot, and then I put Valkyr in a cat pet store. Why? Cuz I enjoy making random edits on GIMP. It's part of my hobby. I'd like to think that I have spent well over 200hrs of me just fashion framing for no reason. That's just my hobby in art kicking in.

I case of you, maybe you should do something different. Whether its involving warframe or not, its your choice. Do something that you love doing, and are good at doing it.

• Like 1

Play another game, do other things, nobody demands you to play it every day, all day long, Warframe will be there for when you feel revitalized to play the game again. Everything feels repetitive if you keep doing it constantly, even daily life routines! As an MR27 player who has maxed syndicates, owns all the equipment that wants (warframes, weapons, companions, arcanes, mods) even just the daily login for sorties can feel like a chore and I skip doing them when there aren't missions I like in them. Taking a break doesn't mean to uninstall the game, it can be a day, a week or until new content lands, and that's fine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, --Aegis--MR9 said:

The game is too depressing right now. I am down to doing syndicate missions just for the sake of doing something! 

There are still many things that I can do (not that I need to do) but nothing is providing the incentive. 

I am forcing myself to enjoy the game and naturally its back firing. 

Friends are screaming at me to play D2 but here is the honest truth. I don't have the energy to learn a new game again and go through the grind. Maybe I am getting too old. I love warframe, I do, and I want to dump my free time into it, but its no longer enjoyable.

Doing index, kuva surv, tridolons, trying to trade a little, I used to truly enjoy these, but feels repetitive now. 

I didnt touch Gauss and Altas Prime yet, didn't even bother farming dethcube and tekko, doesn't have that "new prime" excitement anymore. I dont think I would be playing Grendel as well, although he seems very interesting. I just don't feel like doing anything.

I know I am suffering from the infamous veterans burn out. Is there a cure? Love the game and I want to keep playing. 

P.S. lots of sad emojis.

P.S.S I dont blame DE, there are tons of content for a new players, its not DE's fault that I kept playing one game for ever.

Play a different game

• Like 1

Stop using rigged maxxed mods. No matter what weapon it is, if you throw maxxed mods on it oneshots way up to sortie levels.

Get new frame, equip new weapons on it and use S#&$ or half maxxed mods only. Also pay attention to lore in each missions (disruption on Jupiter is best example). There you go.

Listen to bounty comments aswell, surprising ammount of references there.

Edited by Spyro_Haze
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, --Aegis--MR9 said:

I am forcing myself to enjoy the game

That’s your issue.

Cure for burnout? Just take a break.

If you still want to play WF, then spice it up a bit. Try out different builds, try other things in game. Doesn’t gotta be productive, so long as you’re having fun.

I sometimes just visit my friends dojo’s and goof off, or I’ll spend hours just listening to music and decorating my own dojo.

Edited by Owlski
  • Like 2

Why is this even a question?

I have been playing this game since early 2013, I know how burn out feels, yet I'm still here. Just take a break. There is no way around it, anything else you try will make it worse.

Do something else, play another game, get a new girlfriend or pick another hobby not related to gaming, but stop playing the game for while, after a while you will feel better and when you come back to the game you will enjoy it much more.

I had a break for almost 2 years, when I got back I was amazed how much the game had evolved, I hardly recognized it, played for 2 years straight and then for irl reasons had to take another break, almost over one year later I came back and again there was so much to do that I could barely keep up with the content. Then I took a break for 4 months when I felt some burn out and voila I'm back and I feel refreshed to keep going with the game.

My clanmates, took a longer break than me, now they're back and we're doing Eidolons and Orbs and it feels like that content was released just yesterday. Now we are doing all that content we missed and getting ready for Railjack.

So, yep, there is no cure for burn out, you either take a break or you will end up hating the game and never coming back!

Edited by marcovchb
  • Like 1

If/when you get into the groove again, you will need forma. And extractors extract stuff by themselves, occasionally even orokin cells. You can build forma and handle your extractors with the mobile app with a minimum of fuss. But you need forma blueprints to build forma, so you need to crack relics in-game. But that is all, getting the forma bp's, building forma, re-starting the extractors for totally free loot (that you might not even need 🙂).

I've found this to be the cure when the Warframe flame burns less brightly, but I also do not want to quit completely. Logging in every once in a awhile, check the void fissures, crack easy relics (like Lith excavations), building forma continuously and keeping the extractors going. With a sort of "you never know, maybe I will need them"-attitude. Who cares, right?!

When you find yourself wanting to do daily sorties again your flame is starting to burn stronger. When you have sh*tloads of forma "in storage" (I had 40+ after last summer) the oddest things become interesting, like forma'ing warframes and weapons you've never really used. When you start checking and maxing out your daily syndicate standings (to buy "free" relics) you are getting into it again. Or when you find yourself "just clearing out the nightwave missions", daily.

If you almost let go but stay in touch with the game and that regenerates the drive, now that's a chill no-stress path back. If none of that happens, well, it is a chill way to end it. And if you find your way back, there WILL be a lot to do. If you play daily it might feel like nothing really happens, but take a break for a couple of months and there will be an interesting backlog to clear, there always is.

Edited by Graavarg

My personal cure is trolling other people, for example using rad proced atlas can petrify your hole squad for minutes, and the time passes slower while petrified, giving them a lot of time to make new hatemails for my collection

Tldr;

If your fun runs out, steal it from someone else

Edited by (PS4)Apoleon_amarr

I usually go for more challenging builds. Like Nyx Prime with Burston Prime without Assimilate or health mods. Or banshee with some lackluster weapon, do some more unused mission types (arena, defection, etc) and try new builds. But the best is to stay away for a week or two.

• Like 1