Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NigglesAU

How was warframe in early years compared to now?

When warframe was released, i only spent like a handful of hours (messed missed around) in it before i gave up and came back start of this year and racked up huge number of hours. Love it. Dont remember early days - how has warframe changed since early days? 

Has it become better? . i know they want to make it more accessible to new players, but what i am worried about it being "dumbed down" to try appeal to a broader demographic . Not that its hard to play, just a lot of stuff to do and understand . hope you know what i mean 🙂

Your worries are spot on, but only concerning the spawn numbers for non-full squads, including Solo missions.

Warframe has come a long way since the early days (anyone remember when Loki was a starter frame and the Hek was op as heck and could snipe enemies from far away?) and is in a much better place now than it was over 5 years ago, and continuing to evolve. Sure, with certain mods and frames etc certain aspects of the game can be easy mode, and it's not surprising that DE has yet to find a fix for it. Finding the right balance for such a large game which also works for the majority of the community is far from easy. Raids were the perfect example of that. Despite adding difficulty it only pleased a very tiny fraction of the community. The solution is far from simple, and we may never see one. Personally I couldn't care less so long as the content is engaging 😉 (love the story quests!)

The only thing I'd say that's been a constant is the same old farming for resources to make weapons/warframes etc, and the wait times for crafting said things.

4 minutes ago, Goodwill said:

I miss the stamina bar.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

And coptering.

giphy.gif

I miss the old wall-running animation...

Warframe has definitely improved over the years, both in content quality and design philosophy.

Weapon and Warframe design was much less refined in the past. These days most new weapons have their own unique ability, like an alt-fire or a damage boost mechanic. In the past, many new weapons were just stat changes of other stuff. Meanwhile, a lot of Warframes were just mishmashes of ideas, without much cohesion. Some frames (eg Hydroid, Nezha) were useless, while others (eg Mesa, Chroma) were godly, because balance clearly wasn't considered properly during development. On top of that, more often than not you could just build a frame for one or two abilities instead of a "kit". These days Warframes are sensibly designed to be viable in unique roles, and new weapons offer appeal outside of their stats.

Prime farming with Keys was in many ways worse, because drop chances were vague and non-uniform, with some drop chances being in the low single digits, and with no way to enhance those drop rates with anything like Traces. The one benefit was that keys didn't go out of rotation, which meant that veterans had massive stockpiles of keys and never had to farm, but that didn't affect newer players.

It definitely has been "dumbed down" if that means it's more accessible, but it also realistically has much more depth in other places. Builds have become much more interesting than they used to be (it used to always be either crit or flat damage, and many Warframes could completely ignore one or two "power" stats and do fine). There's also much more to do in general; in the past, Prime farming was really the only endgame we had. These days we have Eidolons, Orbs, Rivens, Focus, Primed mods, Arbitrations, all sorts of options.

Another very important point: we have a real story now. We didn't have quests of any sort for a very long time, especially not with a coherent story. Now we have actual lore and plot that isn't just delivered through limited-time events.

The earliest thing I can recall the only tileset was the corpus ship and Banshee was a pretty new frame which was around Update 7 I think.

The only thing I miss from those days were some of the UI elements, it was a little cluttered but had a bit more character than we do now.

The stamina bar was taxing, coptering divided players in mission, melee wasn't nearly as viable as it is now, not to mention little to no context for the world at large. Damage was still very basic (Slash, Impact, Puncture only with no elements) and once Serration damage got added it really funneled the choices to I believe 2 or 3 weapons. There are still meta options with weapons today but you do have a much wider pool to choose from. I never got the chance to play with the first modding system but from what I've read about it, it didn't seem to offer nearly as much as we do now. Rewards were a real issue because Warframe didn't have a lot to offer. I still have nightmares about getting nothing but hellfire mods on Xini defense (Which was considered the end game at the time).

The benefit of that time was not really needing to decide on much or worrying about builds or what to do. There weren't as many choices so you only had to pick 1 of say 4 shotguns if you wanted to play with a shotgun. If you wanted a support frame, you had a very limited selection. The original starchart was similar to what we have now but much more expansive with lots of branching paths and duplicate mission types, thus more work to get through (and were all the corpus ship tileset).

If I had to start now with 0 knowledge of the game, I would be incredibly overwhelmed with choice which is more bitter sweet than a detriment for me personally, but I would still rather go through it now rather than to return to those early days.

Edit: It's still a lot of fun to look back on, in any case. 

Yes, it's better now then when I first started playing.

Remember the joy of mod drops which had no limitations whatsoever, so every enemy in the game could drop any mod in the game?  We talk about mandatory mods so much now only in terms of the mod slot, and forget that once upon a time, just getting your hands on those mods was a trick.  Before trade, when you chance to get serration on any mod drop was always 1/total number of mods in the game. 

Bosses didn't always drop Warframe part BPs - whether or not they dropped a part was RNG layer 1.  Which part was layer 2, and they were actual drops which could fall off the map.

For a while there, any weapon that didn't ignore armor entirely was hopeless.  Acrid was king of the roost for a while there.

2 hours ago, NigglesAU said:

When warframe was released, i only spent like a handful of hours (messed missed around) in it before i gave up and came back start of this year and racked up huge number of hours. Love it. Dont remember early days - how has warframe changed since early days? 

Has it become better? . i know they want to make it more accessible to new players, but what i am worried about it being "dumbed down" to try appeal to a broader demographic . Not that its hard to play, just a lot of stuff to do and understand . hope you know what i mean 🙂

the creativity has drowned, it is all about releasing content to keep new player base income.

I remember when I logged in and the first thing I saw was the star map cause we didn't have our own personal spaceships at the time. Still remember my first operation to stop Alad V and his Zanuka project and I still wear the shoulder emblem from it. 

To answer your question OP the game has gotten better over time. While the core gameplay loop has not changed much they did add new game modes, new zones, tons upon tons of new guns, new quests and stories, and much more. It has not really gotten very dumbed down either and the more they add to it the more complex it gets. Reason they keep trying to streamline the tutorials and all that. I say give it another shot and see for yourself.

I don't miss having only 4 revives per frame per 24 hours with the option of buying more with plat if you wanted to continue playing that day...

But I miss the fact the game was more challenging and there were more events to play.

basically from then till now apart from more weapons frames and companions, we get better lighting and shadows and better sound. the maps are the same with entry points at different doors.  some of the tiles/planets were controlled by the opposite faction. and while the oohs and aahs of the now have worn off more quickly as you progress, nothing has really changed in reality. fusion cores are now endo, mods leveling up is a bit more easier (they got this right).

https://youtu.be/zoEZGMjIIEw

The game has been iterated dramatically but, in doing so, feels very different from when I first started.

Spoiler

The Grineer felt more dangerous without the gimmicks regardless of level.

The Infested simply were drastically more dangerous in many ways and are mostly throw away now

The Corpus were pushovers who you had to watch your back around and are probably the most consistently dangerous faction in the game due to their mechanics

Missions were more rewarding whereas I barely notice rewards now because rewards are generally horrible.

Grouping was, generally, more fun because one person really couldn't reliably wreck the whole map.

Players relied on their weapons as much or more than their powers and P4TW was generally frowned upon then as opposed to the standard tactics they are today.

Events happened more often, the rewards were generally better, and the game was actually a bit less grindy than it is today.

That said, there were bad weapons and bad frames back then and this is not as much of an issue today.

The number of tilesets, mission types, powers, tools, and tactical options has grown dramatically.

I can't say that the game is better or worse insomuch as it just feels very different from long ago. 

Much better, the community was united, DE listened to it's community, Ember was a goddess, Vauban was a god, Draco was the sh#t to farm everything, the T4 survival keys were really awesome (we shall not forget) , It was way more challenging, Bousefenix, MCIK, The Reaper Hunter, iFlynn were still in this game ...

Now I feel bad.

3 minutes ago, Shoryuu said:

I miss having to do T1-T4 keys xD

I miss not having 200 different relics in my inventory...

Just now, Zilchy said:

I miss not having 200 different relics in my inventory...

oof there was that too lol 

33 minutes ago, DOOMPATRIOT said:

Much better, the community was united, DE listened to it's community, Ember was a goddess, Vauban was a god, Draco was the sh#t to farm everything, the T4 survival keys were really awesome (we shall not forget) , It was way more challenging, Bousefenix, MCIK, The Reaper Hunter, iFlynn were still in this game ...

Now I feel bad.

I feel ya bro. Also we had events and they didn't nerf the events with updates every day claiming things are exploits.

Just now, Zilchy said:

And we used 1 key for 5 hours of rewards.

ahhhh good old farming days....

4 hours ago, NigglesAU said:

If your focus is gameplay then you are correct in your concern of the game being dumbed down, Warframe has improved in a great many ways since it's earlier years of existence, from visual designs to story delivery to frame mechanics, but I would be remiss to say the combat experience didn't suffer in turn. Power creep has become effectively a staple in this game, one of close to no regulation at this point, and you really don't have to look far in the forums to see people constantly at odds over the games current balance state because it's become so polarizing between people who want complex play and people who just want to mindlessly plow through enemies with a single ability or macro where melee is involved. We currently lean hard into the later, and more and more so each passing year. What an organized group could do in the earlier stages of Warframe single frames can achieve now to much greater effect, and generally content only needs a single person to cleave through with extreme over kill while the rest of a team can (willfully or not) just sit back and observe whoever is the self designated hard carry of that mission. The most complexity you'll get is learning how systems work, and from there on it's mostly just following very cookie cutter generic builds and tools (or being made irrelevant by those using them) and watching everything be deleted before your eyes because enemies aren't really difficult or threatening anymore at really any stage, they're all just wet paper to plow through. 

Maybe this will change in the coming years because Destiny is posing more of a explicit threat, but presently I would say this game has done more regressing it's combat design than evolving it as it has grown, and with no present sign of a willingness to change it, even for how often they acknowledge it as something they should do something about. 

I have only been with the game 3 years now, 

So I wasn't there since the beginning. 

So I don't have a fair basis of comparison to the good Olde days, 

When I joined, the star chart looked like it was from an old 70s commercial and individual planets had literal sectors to complete instead of the dots/nodes that exist now, 

Keys still existed and prime parts were actually hard to get and coveted by all. Since It got changed to relics before I actually got into prime farming I am not sure if it's an improvement or not. 

Rivens did not exist, I have mixed feeling about it, I like the concept, but the implementation is terrible and just increases the Meta gap. 

Raids came and went, the LOR one specifically I miss, JV can stay forgotten I never liked it. 

I believe overall there have been improvements but a few changes have caused the game to be... Lesser than it could have been. 

I gave it a try back in the early days, can't remember the exact version but it was some time in the late 2013/early 2014. TBH I don't even remember much about it except that it was super bland and I quit after couple of hours.

EDIT: One thing I do remember is that frame abilities were mods that you had to farm. I don't think anyone misses that...