Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Callus, the Battlefield Juggernaut [Reworked][Warframe Concept]

MuscleBeach

I wanted to make a Juggernaut inspired (not themed) Warframe. When you run across the Juggernaut in-game, he usually lays you out, even if it doesn't kill you. I wanted that same brutal feeling with this Warframe.

Callus is a male infested warframe. 

Health: 450 (base 150)

Shield: -

Armor: 600

Energy: 150 (base 100)

Sprint Speed: 1.0 

Passive: Juggernaut

Spoiler

While touching the ground, gain 30% Sprint Speed over 3s. Bonus resets after leaving the ground for 1s.

While at maximum Sprint Speed bonus, bumping into enemies will knock them down.

None of this is mod-able.

Ability 1: Dragnet

Spoiler

Throw an infested spear at your enemies that deals damage to anyone it directly hits, tethers nearby enemies and pulls them along as it's flying, and links their health to the spear.

Energy 25 Energy
Spear Damage 950 Puncture
Grab Range 5m
Grab Damage 75 Bleed /s
Duration 10s
Maximum Spears 2

Only grabs people while flying through the air.

Only enemies directly hit by the spear take Spear Damage.

Infinite Punchthrough.

Damage dealt to the spear is also dealt to all enemies tethered to it. 

Maximum Spears is not mod-able.

Augment:  Menticide

Enemies within 11m of the spear attack it and the allies tethered to it. Maximum Spears reduced to 1.

Ability 2: Symbiosis

Spoiler

Callus grows a symbiotic husk that protects him and his allies.

Cost 15 + 6/s Energy
Armor Bonus 100%
Health Regen 10 /s
Range 10m
Duration  
Travel Speed 20m /s
Travel Cooldown 3s

Prioritizes lowest health allies.

Callus wins tiebreakers.

Travel Cooldown is the minimum time it has to be at its target before moving again. 

Travel stats are not mod-able.

Augment:  Parasitic Husk

Symbiosis now targets enemies, absorbing their life and storing it, giving it to the next ally it comes in contact with as extra shield (like Rhino's Iron Skin). 

I haven't figured out numbers for this yet. 

Ability 3: Menace

Spoiler

Take on an aggressive stance, bolstering you and your allies.

Cost 75 Energy
Sprint Speed 25%
Power Strength 25%
Strength Cap 50%
Range 16m
Duration 30s

Sprint Speed not mod-able.

Strength Cap not mod-able.

Augment: Horrifying Presence

When cast, enemies within a 13m radius are feared for 8s.

Ability 4: Decimate

Spoiler

Lunge at an enemy, punching them with shattering force, breaking nearby enemies' armor, and sending the main target flying into other enemies. 

Cost 100 Energy
Cast Range 8m
Target Ragdoll 12m
Ragdoll Collision 40% Max HP as IPS
Target Damage 550 Impact / Punc
AOE Damage 400 Impact
Target Armor 60%
AOE Armor 40%
AOE Radius 5m

Affected by melee mods.

Main target is ragdolled and also takes damage and armor reduction from AOE portion of ability.

Surrounding enemies are knocked down.

Ragdolled target deals % Max HP to enemies he collides into. 

Augment: Deadly Momentum

Adds 100% of your current armor as AOE damage and causes Lifted status instead of knockdown.

Please let me know of any thoughts, ideas, criticisms. Thank you! 

Edited by MuscleBeach
Reworked All Abilities

14 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

Chitinous Blades: Fist Weapons

How do we use these? You don’t specify it anywhere that I could see. I am assuming it is done the same way as Garuda.

I am not sure about the passive. The extra armour would be relatively pointless if you add any armour mods. Assume you put them all, you would be at roughly 1,500 armour, the extra 600 won’t do much. I guess it means you don’t need the mods, but it would make more sense to just use them and ignore the passive.

I think the concept sounds interesting. I would certainly try this if it got implemented. I do wonder about the name though - I feel like Horus is more if an ‘attack bird’ name. Something like Zephyr, but solely damage based. You could change my mind based on the frame’s appearance though (an infested bird with claws?).

I can see 3 problens in this concept. 

First - simple buff skill as ultimate. Gauss gets away with buff as ultimate due to the mini quest on the buff and the fact that the buff also affects his skills.

Second- this just sounds like the second coming of inaros. Melee frame with a lot of base stats and healing. 

Third - tell me if these are his base stats or his stats at level 30

Also , man do you like your frames infested.

Edit: also oros is a weird name , horus is know dor the whole eye of horus deal.

Edited by keikogi

17 minutes ago, krc473 said:

How do we use these? You don’t specify it anywhere that I could see. I am assuming it is done the same way as Garuda.

Correct, just like Garuda. They're only usable if you don't equip a melee weapon. I'll add a note to clarify this, thank you. 

19 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I am not sure about the passive. The extra armour would be relatively pointless if you add any armour mods. Assume you put them all, you would be at roughly 1,500 armour, the extra 600 won’t do much. I guess it means you don’t need the mods, but it would make more sense to just use them and ignore the passive.

I'm not sure how you're calculating the armor amount but here it is: 

Base * (1 + Steel Fiber + Passive at full health).

600 * (1 + 1.10 + 1.0) = 1860 Armor. 15%-ish damage taken. 

2460 if you add Ability 4 into it. 11%-ish damage taken.

1260 is with 600 and steel Fiber only. 20% damage taken (which is about the same if you ran no mods). 

Spoiler

RDI

I don't think a passive should be strong anyways, unless it's a focal point of the warframe. The movement speed is the main part. Do you think increasing the Armor amount but making it scale down to 0 armor at 50% health would be better?  More upfront help but less overall reliability?

30 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I think the concept sounds interesting. I would certainly try this if it got implemented. I do wonder about the name though - I feel like Horus is more if an ‘attack bird’ name. Something like Zephyr, but solely damage based. You could change my mind based on the frame’s appearance though (an infested bird with claws?).

Haha! It's the best I could find that referenced something and didn't sound so Greek/Roman. I'm definitely open to suggestions on names. All I did was search God of War names on google since that's the vibe I was feeling for it and started browsing the pantheons haha. 

I was thinking it would borrower aesthetics from the in-game juggernaut. That callous thick rough "skin". 

10 minutes ago, keikogi said:

First - simple buff skill as ultimate. Gauss gets away with buff as ultimate due to the mini quest on the buff and the fact that the buff also affects his skills.

Haha! You have no idea how many abilities i scrapped trying to fit in an ultimate that felt like it fit the warframe... I tried to avoid this quite a lot: Tar pit, Single spine attack, aoe spine, cone spones that grapple enemies, passive spines shots channeled ability, making Dragnet the ult. I'm forgetting some. 

15 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Second- this just sounds like the second coming of inaros. Melee frame with a lot of base stats and healing. 

I did not intend for that but I think you're right on this point. It would be a better Inaros, for what people typically use Inaros for. I guess I'm making Inaros actually fun (imo). 

17 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Third - tell me if these are his base stats or his stats at level 30

Always lvl 30. Anything before then doesn't really matter (to me). 

17 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Also , man do you like your frames infested.

We have literally 1! It's an untapped resource so there's many ideas to be done there. And the types of effects I like tend to fit infested easily. 

9 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

Always lvl 30. Anything before then doesn't really matter (to me). 

It does. Mods like vitality do not scale the level 30 value, but the level 1 value instead. So, without knowing what the level 1 values are, you cannot calculate what stats your frame would be with mods, ergo, you cannot properly balance said stats.

Edited by HugintheCrow

22 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

I'm not sure how you're calculating the armor amount but here it is: 

I was using Steel Fibre (110%) and Armoured Agility (45%). So, 155% extra armour (600x2.55 = 1530). So, I was adding an extra mod. The frame has ‘unspecified’ sprint speed, so I figured the extra could possibly be useful. The reduction seems to be 5 points different when adding the passive. Less if you compare the two setups.

30 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

Do you think increasing the Armor amount but making it scale down to 0 armor at 50% health would be better?  More upfront help but less overall reliability?

I think it is probably fine as is. It was more that you could limit the benefit from the armour increase with mods, if desired. Having an extra 600 armour built into the frame means you may not need as many mods to boost it.

14 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

It does. Mods like vitality do not scale the level 30 value, but the level 1 value instead. So, without knowing what the level 1 values are, you cannot calculate what stats your frame would be with mods, ergo, you cannot properly balance said stats.

I was going to say that but you already did. 

But I should warn op that , that his frame is shiedless so cant use the standard health scaling 150 to 450. He must use either nidus weird scaling ( more arnor and power streght on top of the health ) or Inaros health scaling. 

Also you need to address the redundances on his 2. You already got the 1 for mobility and you already have the 3 to pull enemies close. 

Edited by keikogi

6 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

Mods like vitality do not scale the level 30 value, but the level 1 value instead.

6 hours ago, keikogi said:

that his frame is shiedless so cant use the standard health scaling 150 to 450.

You're both right, I completely forgot about that. Thank you both! 

It'll work like both warframes.

600 Armor is base and doesn't increase with level, Like Inaros. (1860 armor with Steel Fiber and Ability 4 active (no Passive)).

Health base is 150 and will increase by 200% through leveling like, Nidus, totaling 450 at lvl 30 (1110 health with Vitality).

6 hours ago, krc473 said:

I think it is probably fine as is. It was more that you could limit the benefit from the armour increase with mods, if desired. Having an extra 600 armour built into the frame means you may not need as many mods to boost it.

I'm removing the Armor passive as it's unnecessary with the armor levels the abilities can reach, that way there's a healthy build dilemma. Slight buff to speed though by reducing time to max speed from 4 to 3 seconds. 

6 hours ago, keikogi said:

Also you need to address the redundances on his 2. You already got the 1 for mobility and you already have the 3 to pull enemies close. 

I could use a little help on this. I was having a lot of trouble thinking up a 4th ability (this is why 4th ability ended up being a buff). Currently you:

Menacing Presence is just always active like every buff skill. 

Skewer to close the distance if needed.

Epicenter to gather enemies together (which I'm realizing is pointless because Dragnet has the same range lol).

Dragnet to CC a group while traveling/killing. 

You're right, Epicenter (ability 2) needs to go. I could use some help brainstorming ability ideas, preferably ultimate worthy so I can bump the buff down. 

Edited by MuscleBeach

15 hours ago, MuscleBeach said:

Ability 1: Skewer

Hide contents

Dash at the target, skewering them with your wrist blades and infecting them. Horus heals if they die. 

Cost 25 Energy  
Cast Range 20m  
Damage 350 + Melee Mods
Status 100% Viral.  
Stagger Radius 8m  
Heal Amount 2% Max /s for 4s

Staggers an area around the main target.Knocks down main target.

Enemies killed by this ability restore 2% of your Max Health /s for 4s. 

Consider taking a look at Atlas to add more details to this ability. For instance, an ability combo timer and counter similar to Atlas. I have a similar frame concept, one focused on melee, as well as helminth themed.

Personally a little on the fence on the name. Horus, thematically, often makes people think of the Egyptian god.

Juggernaut is a hard theme to help people to come up with skill because what juggernaut means is thing that is big, slow and hits really really hard. Without seen any kind of visual or visual guidelines as hard to come up with skill for a juggernaut.

Because you juggernaut can look like this

250px-Juggernaut2.PNG

Or like This

580px-99120201024_TheGlottkin01.jpg

It is obvious that both kinds of juggernauts have different skill sets

Another example if you juggernaut has exposed bones or openable rip cage (like the infested juggernaut) launching bones in a cone in front of you.

Sometimes Visual are kinda of important when it comes to the frame skill set

For example, Normally I would not give a plant a skill that launches snake line vines at enemies and them you can pull them with these vines. Usually, I wouldn’t give this kind of skill for a plant frame, but both her physical build and the visuals of the vines support this kind of skill.

Have a look at it.

Edited by keikogi

1 hour ago, xZeromusx said:

Personally a little on the fence on the name. Horus, thematically, often makes people think of the Egyptian god.

That's who I named it after but I'm also on the fence too. I'm updating to Callus.

1 hour ago, xZeromusx said:

Consider taking a look at Atlas to add more details to this ability. For instance, an ability combo timer and counter similar to Atlas. I have a similar frame concept, one focused on melee, as well as helminth themed.

It used to do a lot more but the toxin portion of the warframe got cut. I agree I should add more to the ability. I'm not sure I want to go the combo counter route of Atlas though as it'd be hard to make that unique.

How about this, similar but different to Atlas:

Single click does what it does now.

Hold to Cast 1.5s charge to cast option which dashes at an enemy and slams them with enough force to shockwave.

Main Target Damage 350 Viral 200 Puncture + Melee Mods

Status 100% Viral Main target only

Radius Damage 900 Impact + Melee Mods (hits main target as well)

Status 100% Blast

Radius 5m

Still working on replacing Epicenter with a new ability. 

Thank you all for your feedback! Please keep it coming :)

35 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Juggernaut is a hard theme to help people to come up with skill because what juggernaut means is thing that is big, slow and hits really really hard.

This is not what I'm intending at all which means you bring up a good point. Here you go :) In-game Juggernaut spines are a possibility to shoot out his torso.  

Spoiler

Normal speed, durable, strong. I guess I'm making an infested Leonidas haha. Look something like the Armored Titan from Attack on Titan.

Changing the picture, this should not be a sleek looking warframe. Armor should more rough mangled looking like the in-game Juggernaut (not smooth plating). Upper body and back is more Armor plating while lower body and front side is less armor but more infestation. Some bulk in the forearm for the retractable blades. 

Sorry, I'm not an artist so I can't draw it out for you and my 3D modelling skills are not quite up to par for this either. 

Image result for armored titan

35 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Have a look at it.

Will do in a bit :)

Edited by MuscleBeach

2 hours ago, keikogi said:

Juggernaut is a hard theme to help people to come up with skill because what juggernaut means is thing that is big, slow and hits really really hard. Without seen any kind of visual or visual guidelines as hard to come up with skill for a juggernaut.

Because you juggernaut can look like this

250px-Juggernaut2.PNG

Just gonna point out that the mutant Juggernaut was actually recorded in canon comics as going 600 miles per hour.

See, when I think of a juggernaut, I don't just think so much of slow, but of momentum, and unstoppable force of a beast. Yes, big, bulky, possibly not dexterous or acrobatic, and maybe not the best acceleration, but enough that once he's going, he isn't able to be stopped.

Edited by xZeromusx

5 hours ago, MuscleBeach said:

Normal speed, durable, strong. I guess I'm making an infested Leonidas haha. Look something like the Armored Titan from Attack on Titan.

Swole dude covered in chitanous platting with a few tentacles sprinkle underneath. I can work with that. When I came up with something I will post it here.

3 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

See, when I think of a juggernaut, I don't just think so much of slow, but of momentum, and unstoppable force of a beast.

You are right slow is not the right word. The best way to say it is not nimble nor suttle at all. Not realy fast either , with some acelration he should be able to reach a decent speed but nothing especial. 

Replacing Epicenter (Ability 2). Please let me know what you all think! 

Ability 2: Pustulence

Spoiler

Cover yourself in toxic pustules that increase your toxin resistance and are popped when you are hit, dealing damage and spreading smaller pustules onto your enemies. Smaller Pustules deal half the damage in half the range when they are popped. 

Pustulence 50 Energy  
Pustules 15  
Damage 300 Toxic  
Status 100%  
Toxin Resistance 30%  
Radius 12m  

If an enemy dies while still having pustules, all remaining are popped. 

Edit: Toxin resistance is a % chance to completely ignore toxin status from occurring on you (just the status, not the source of damage). We have mods that do this but not sure how aware people are of them or how they work. 

16 hours ago, keikogi said:

Swole dude covered in chitanous platting with a few tentacles sprinkle underneath. I can work with that. When I came up with something I will post it here.

You're awesome! Don't feel obligated to do it but I do appreciate you :)

Edited by MuscleBeach
Clarified Toxin Resistance

Reworked ability 2 again and I'm much happier with this:

Spoiler

Secrete toxic gases around you, dealing damage and incrementally fatiguing your enemies.

Each stack of fatigue increases the damage they receive from all sources and reduces their movement and attack speed.

Pustulence 50 Energy
Pulses /s 2
Damage 75 Gas
Status 100%
Fatigue /pulse 1
Radius 12m
Duration 16s

Fatigue Stats   
Damage Bonus 3%
Total Speed 2%
Duration 20s

All Fatigue stacks refresh whenever a new stack is applied. 

As always, please let me know what you think or if you have any cool ideas of your own. 

I will be adding augment mods soon.

Edited by MuscleBeach

1 hour ago, MuscleBeach said:

Reworked ability 2 again and I'm much happier with this:

Reveal hidden contents

Secrete toxic gases around you, dealing damage and incrementally fatiguing your enemies.

Each stack of fatigue increases the damage they receive from all sources and reduces their movement and attack speed.

Pustulence 50 Energy
Pulses /s 2
Damage 75 Gas
Status 100%
Fatigue /pulse 1
Radius 12m
Duration 16s

Fatigue Stats   
Damage Bonus 3%
Total Speed 2%
Duration 20s

All Fatigue stacks refresh whenever a new stack is applied. 

As always, please let me know what you think or if you have any cool ideas of your own. 

I will be adding augment mods soon.

It is better than the old one the moviment speed and attack speed reduction works well but receiving extra damage because you are tired seen odd. If you want way to buff damage I would go for the same gas increses attack and moviment speed on warframes.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, keikogi said:

It is better than the old one the moviment speed and attack speed reduction works well but receiving extra damage because you are tired seen odd. If you want way to buff damage I would go for the same gas increses attack and moviment speed on warframes.

I was thinking they're in a weakened, defenseless state but I see what you mean. Maybe I can power this ability up, make it the 4th ability and use your suggestion, rework Menace and make that the 2nd or 3rd ability.

Thanks for the feedback! Time for me to start thinking of the changes. 

38 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

I was thinking they're in a weakened, defenseless state but I see what you mean.

Being alert does not improve your odds of surviving a bullet to the head. But if want to go with that angle the skill can place the into sleep(if the enemy is slowed enought)  this way he would have access to stealth multiplier. 

Edit: 

I also understand what you mean by being weakened means more vunereble to damage but this only translates well for melee strikes because most of the time you mitigate some of the dmage by blocking or at least moving with the attack mitigating its effect. Does not translate well for ability damage or gun damage.

Edited by keikogi

7 hours ago, keikogi said:

Being alert does not improve your odds of surviving a bullet to the head. But if want to go with that angle the skill can place the into sleep(if the enemy is slowed enought)  this way he would have access to stealth multiplier. 

That makes sense. Putting people to sleep doesn't fit this frame though 😞

7 hours ago, keikogi said:

also understand what you mean by being weakened means more vunereble to damage but this only translates well for melee strikes because most of the time you mitigate some of the dmage by blocking or at least moving with the attack mitigating its effect. Does not translate well for ability damage or gun damage.

I actually just wanted the damage from the ability to increase over time but I didn't see a nice way of doing that without simply increasing all damage. So it would have just been toxin and gas damage getting stronger with more stacks, not everyone's damage.

I think I can make that happen nicely. Does this look better? 

Spoiler

Secrete toxic gases around you, dealing damage and increasing in toxicity the longer enemies linger.

Each stack of toxicity increases the damage they receive from Pustulence and reduces their movement and attack speed.

Pustulence 50 Energy
Pulses /s 2
Damage 75 Gas
Status 100%
Toxicity /pulse 1
Radius 12m
Duration 16s

ToxicityStats   
Damage Bonus 3%
Total Speed -2%
Duration 20s

Toxicity stacks refresh whenever a new stack is applied. 

It's basically the same except now it increases only this abilities damage for each stack. 

Edited by MuscleBeach

1 hour ago, MuscleBeach said:
Spoiler

Secrete toxic gases around you, dealing damage and increasing in toxicity the longer enemies linger.

Each stack of toxicity increases the damage they receive from Pustulence and reduces their movement and attack speed.

Pustulence 50 Energy
Pulses /s 2
Damage 75 Gas
Status 100%
Fatigue /pulse 1
Radius 12m
Duration 16s

Fatigue Stats   
Damage Bonus 3%
Total Speed -2%
Duration 20s

It's basically the same except now it increases only this abilities damage for each stack

At this point it looks like a damage skill and damage skill are hard to properly desing in warframe because they have answer these questions ?

Would I use this skill over my gun ?

Would I ever use my gun if can use this skill ?

You get to have a YES as the answer to both questions and that is hard. I would go with this angle. Enemies inside this gas cloud will choke ( just die ) if they reach critical levels of health. Formula for critical health 

5%+ 5%.t ( t means time the enemy eas inside the gas cloud ) caps 50 % health. 

Or go back to the damage vulnerability , it is interesting gameplay wise ( ramping up damage bonus ) and kinda makes sense.

4 hours ago, keikogi said:

Would I use this skill over my gun ?

Would I ever use my gun if can use this skill ?

You get to have a YES as the answer to both questions and that is hard. I would go with this angle. Enemies inside this gas cloud will choke ( just die ) if they reach critical levels of health. Formula for critical health 

Or go back to the damage vulnerability , it is interesting gameplay wise ( ramping up damage bonus ) and kinda makes sense.

Both good points and I think either option works. I'll have to think about the pros and cons of both before I choose: Ramp up damage or critical death threshold. Thank you for all the advice you've given. 

Also lowered the grab range on Dragnet as it was much larger than I realize it would be after measuring distance in simulacrum. 

On 2019-10-25 at 4:03 PM, keikogi said:

The damage vulnerability is the more interesting and useful choice so I went with it even though the execution route is more flavorful to the theme of the ability. 

Here it is, the final (I hope) outcome for Ability 2 Pustulence. It's now actually Ability 4 named Pestilence and the other abilities got moved down and altered for their position. 

Ability 4: Pestilence

Spoiler

Each stack of toxicity increases the damage they receive and reduces their movement and attack speed.

Pestilence 50 + 10/s Energy
Ticks /s 2
Damage 75 Gas
Status 100%
Toxicity /tick 1
Radius 12m

Toxicity Stats   
Damage Bonus 20 + 3%
Speed Debuff 20 + 2%
Speed Cap 75%
Duration 10s

Damage and speed debuff apply 20% immediately and increase for each stake of toxicity the enemy has.

Bolded text are not mod-able.

+Duration increases Ticks /s.

+Strength increases Debuff'ss immediate amount only and Gas damage. 

Now the abilities are ordered like this:

Ability 1: Sever 25 Energy

Ability 2: Dragnet 50 Energy

Ability 3: Menace 75 Energy

Ability 4: Pestilence 50 Energy + 10 /s

I may need to remove the Armor or Power Strength part of Menace as it's giving too much stats to the team. 

Edited by MuscleBeach

47 minutes ago, MuscleBeach said:

The damage vulnerability is the more interesting and useful choice so I went with it even though the execution route is more flavorful to the theme of the ability. 

The best way to describe this situation is one is more flavofull for the theme of the ability but the other is more usefull and synergistic with the rest of the kit. Ultimately I think you did the right call. The best way to describe my version of the skill is right ability on the wrong frame.

Edit: maybe if I create a pestilence based frame I could find the rigth home for that skill.

Edited by keikogi