Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop - Melee Rework Phase 2: TECHNIQUE

SilverBones

4 hours ago, OPLoki said:

I've read all 35 pages of this and im pretty discouraged that not a single other person seems worried about combo's that require no movement inputs to pull off in such a movement focused game like warframe. I really just can't see myself standing still to do a combo regardless of enemy level/mission type/frame/weapon/team comp etc. and i LIKE combos, i use the current systems combos all the time, and yes i care which ones do what and which ones have forced procs and extra hits. (i really wish different weapon types or stances had DIFFERENT combos, so you could master the combos for the weapon types you like the most and feel amazing at the game, instead of all stances having the same rather boring set of combos. i really was hoping that would be a focus point of melee 3.0). i like the idea of building a resource with light attacks and spending it with heavy attacks. It is a system i've seen in many games over the years and it's usually pretty decent.

i am not bothered by overall changes to weapons or mods whether they are nerfs or buffs, whatever i find to be most effective and still enjoyable to use i will use. i can't really understand why so many people are so upset before they even try this, or why others are singing praises to the death of spin2win before that's even proven to be the case. why would anyone be happy to see something they never use nerfed? why would i care what other players use or enjoy?

I am also a bit disappointed at the lack of response from dev's here, although i can see why given the tone of most of the comments in this thread. 🙂

Generally same opinion here. The current system though have some flaws and imbalances, the meta builds are great and high efficient and fluid in mobility. So far, most demos we have seen are Warframes fighting enemies in a small radius of area  combating few enemies, killing ineffectively but with"flashy" styles. 

8 minutes ago, George_PPS said:

Agree. Fun is very subjective and now DE is taking that away from us and dedicating what is the new "fun" model we must follow. All these new and flashy attacks scream "slow" and "inefficient" for me and many players. Why can't the current meta be kept while buffing everything else? The new changes seem to be turning Warframe's melee into very flat Street Fighter style fighting in 3D form. 

Hell no, this new system looks fun as hell, I want to see it come out and master it. I don't consider the current memeing strike meta to be any freakin fun. The current meta can't be kept because it SUCKS. Everything is getting buffed, rebalanced and made more entertaining, so I'm looking forward to this system replacing the old one.

12 hours ago, ccjuju said:

I've noticed that most of the comments in support of these changes seem to be coming from people who can't give specific explanations for why they might be good or what they think they'll concretely add to the melee gameplay being meaninglessly repeating the phrase "it's more fluid" they're selling it with.  It just seems to be general display of support in the classic sort of "they're making the changes so they can't be bad by definition, anyone who disagrees is wrong" way.  And of course words like "love" are thrown in so as to characterize anyone who supports the changes as having "love", with the implication being that anyone who dislikes them must naturally only have hate.

In contrast, many of the people criticizing the changes are giving exact specific reasons either why they disrupt current gameplay styles or why the numeric differences are unwanted hard nerfs that railroad people into playing a certain way by default.  And all of these criticisms are in turn criticized and dismissed as being "griping" or "me, me, me", to the applause of fellow virtue-demonstrating supporters, as if being concerned about one's own enjoyment of the game, and the destruction of the modes that offer that enjoyment, is somehow not permissible and the only thing we're allowed to do is just shut up and accept everything without comment.  Either everyone is a "memeing strike" user and it's ok to not care what they think because "griping", or everyone is a covert lethality user and it's ok to not care what they think because "griping", and so on.  For the record, I use neither of those, but that shouldn't be a necessary qualification for someone to be allowed to state their arguments.  It doesn't help anything when the counterpoint to any criticism is "hey, that guy's griping, so I'm glad his favorite thing is being nerfed! Please clap!"

I really question what the people behind these changes think "fluid" means, and how these new techniques they've demonstrated in images and videos are supposed to improve "fluidity" at the cost of explicitly removing numerous existing techniques.  I've already stated why I think "heavy attacks" and air juggling look ridiculous, but it's more than just the physical impediment they add to game flow.  It's a reduction in player agency.  Now we go from the player constantly choosing when and wear to execute attacks and what relative position to hold in relation to the enemies on a constant, millisecond-level basis, to a more constrained "look, you've lifted heavy enemy X, now juggle him! You pretty much have to because we've removed the validity in doing anything else".  The naturalness, or fluidity, is being disrupted to become more of a systemized, "get enemy in X state and then execute Y" pattern.  Usage of in-game physics and character momentum is lost in favor of hardcoded lift states.  Melee in its current state is already extremely fluid.  Having to save up limited uses charges to expend on basic enemies that can no longer be defeated by the players' current ability to weave generous levels of mobility into an attack pattern via mod and stance setup is not fluid.  It's the opposite of fluid.  It's so far from fluid, dwarves are calling up asking if they can make an anvil out of it.

You really nails the issue of "fluidity" The new system is introducing many new "steps" and emphasizes "heavy" and "flashy" attacks. And the original options of massive and/or fast killing with BR/CO/MS/WW are all being nerfed to the ground. How can more steps make melee more fluid? It's the total opposite. 

On why some players support these nerfs? It's mostly envy and not having the mods or keyboarding skills to do some of the current meta attack styles. DE should not cave in to these nerfing demands and making melee style and melee damage like Street Fighters. 

Hello DE, First time Commenter, long timer player. (Sorry I have quite a lot to say)

BLOCKING adjustments

W

the changes to make blocking reduce damage by 100% and being based on angle relative to the enemy are fantastic! However if you plan on making the damage reflect back at the enemy there are three things that could be done to benefit that aspect.

A) Don't make it a mod, it will most likely be so unsubstantial that it would never be worth modding for.

B) increase the status of reflected damage, if it will never be enough to outright kill the enemy (which definitely isn't wanted) it would be amazing if we could send back some puncture or impact procs to stagger enemies to close the distance.

C) Make the status based on the element of the melee weapon. It would be really cool if when blocking a grineer's grakata I could redirect them back with a little chance to ignite the enemy with fire on my blade. Even if the damage is so small to not phase the enemy, at least there is some reason for the reflect to exist at all.

D) Because the blocking is based on angle of where the player is aiming, a great change would be to have the reflected projectiles go directly to the crosshairs, so we could direct the bullets into a specific high value target to afflict them previously mentioned changes. (think gengi from overwatch)

ALSO SOME MINOR MELEE RELATED CHANGES I WOULD PERSONALLY LOVE TO SEE:

PLEASE for the love of lotus allow ZAWS to use corresponding skins. There are so many beautiful tenno gen melee skin as well as some you have created, its only a shame that the most powerful weapons need to still look like they have been put together by HOK's peg leg assistant. Also dual zaw weapons to give veterans a reason to go back and craft more zaws?

Because of the story significance the PARACESIS sentient slayer has to the game currently and going forward as well as the 5 forma investment it takes to make it truly maxed out it would be amazing if it could also use the WISE RAZOR stance. I feel it would be fitting because it is a two handed single bladed weapon, as it stands there is only one weapon in the two handed katana category, it has a large significance to the story, and it would help differentiate it against all of the other top tier heavy blades. The DARK SPLIT SWORD is a melee weapon that can use different types of stances and I believe the PARACESIS getting the same treatment by being able to use the WISE RAZOR stance along with other heavy blade stances would be amazing as it is suppose to be a reward for progressing to the latest point in the story.

A while ago there were some changes made to have certain abilities slam the player to the ground upon their cast in air. Ironically one that I was expecting to receive this change is EXCALIBUR'S radial javelin ability. Again, looking at the most recent trailer released, the new intro cut scene EXCALIBUR runs up the wall then slams back down with the ability. It is a small change but would really add some much needed love to an otherwise mediocre ability. (I've been an EXCALIBRO since 2013)

As a player who plays with operator almost equally as the warframes for the much needed challenge I have always been interested in operator melee combat, it was teased at the end of warwithin when the operator has the broken scepter. Operator combat could really use an update, as implemented right now using a lot of the NARAMON abilities require the player to awkwardly return back to their warframe to take advantage of the melee focused abilities. Void walking around then coming up behind an enemy as an edgy void kid with a Redeemer Prime would actually make people want to invest time and energy into learning what makes them tick!

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the DEV WORKSHOP but a lot if not all of the ZAW ARCANES sold by Hok are related to Channeling, as that aspect is being removed it would be nice to know the intended changes for those.

With much excitement for the future, SaphireSwordsman.

Just now, George_PPS said:

You really nails the issue of "fluidity" The new system is introducing many new "steps" and emphasizes "heavy" and "flashy" attacks. And the original options of massive and/or fast killing with BR/CO/MS/WW are all being nerfed to the ground. How can more steps make melee more fluid? It's the total opposite. 

On why some players support these nerfs? It's mostly envy and not having the mods or keyboarding skills to do some of the current meta attack styles. DE should not cave in to these nerfing demands and making melee style and melee damage like Street Fighters. 

Juggling won't be a necessity to do damage, it is a choice to take heavy targets without them fighting back. You can still combo them as always, with the occasional heavy attack.

And all these mods you mentioned are way OP compared to the rest, but the damage upgrade makes up for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Mabc05 said:
But you really needed to damage so much the mods and possibly melee ?
I think the D.E forgot that this game is very dynamic, the enemies come out under the stones.Concept of this game were space ninjas or characters with swords, daggers and more melee weapons.
I don't know what's happening in D.E. (Damage, Leave unusable weapons or warframes) That some mods needed improvements? Yes!
You don't think rivens is the misfortune of warframe? I think so.
I prefer to erase the melee rivens and don't damage so many good mods.( Surely some players cannot build without rivens) xd
Now the main feature of warframe is the constant nerfs.
I honestly don't know what to expect from D.E from here on out.

The damage system and weapons of Warframe have been mostly constantly nerfed since 18 months ago. What's going on in DE? This is the game of space ninjas who are all powerful with optimal builds that make them gods of combat. The power and the killing efficiency of the space ninjas are being taken away and becoming another game that's not warframe? 

The damage system and weapons of Warframe have been mostly constantly nerfed since 18 months ago. What's going on in DE? This is the game of space ninjas who are all powerful with optimal builds that make them gods of combat. The power and the killing efficiency of the space ninjas are being taken away and becoming another game that's not warframe? 

Because Warframe suffered with OP mods and skills for years, and people got used to them. CO can give you up to 66x damage with enough procs (although it will be 17x for most people). Now that DE is finally balancing everything, players that depended on these mods/skills feel cheated. It is like buying a chocolate "on sale" for 5 years and then it suddenly becomes twice as expensive.

10 minutes ago, HolySeraphin said:

Juggling won't be a necessity to do damage, it is a choice to take heavy targets without them fighting back. You can still combo them as always, with the occasional heavy attack.

And all these mods you mentioned are way OP compared to the rest, but the damage upgrade makes up for the most part. 

I really really hope that's the case. I wish the killing efficiency and fluidity of current meta is kept or replaced by something or anything with same levels of killing efficiency and fluidity. This is the signature combating feature of warframe - killing massive numbers of enemies fast and outputting massive amount of damages on enemies. 

24 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

Hell no, this new system looks fun as hell, I want to see it come out and master it. I don't consider the current memeing strike meta to be any freakin fun. The current meta can't be kept because it SUCKS. Everything is getting buffed, rebalanced and made more entertaining, so I'm looking forward to this system replacing the old one.

Fun is subjective. The current meta is one of the "freaking" fun attack style and it wipes enemies clean fast. It is being nerfed only because some players don't have the mods or don't have the optimal builds for it. If you prefer flashy but slow/ineffective attacks, I have nothing to response.  

Fun is subjective. The current meta is one of the "freaking" fun attack style and it wipes enemies clean fast. It is being nerfed only because some players don't have the mods or don't have the optimal builds for it. If you prefer flashy but slow/ineffective attacks, I have nothing to response.  

Spinning around with Maiming Strike is also subjectively fun, and so is CO builds, which scale too much compared to any other mods/builds. Juggling with the same combo might be fun for some, but others will feel it is slow, while some may like CO builds because of the quick weapon swap, while others might think it is too boring and repetitive.

1 hour ago, Endorphinz said:

A large majority of the folks seemed to miss that melee weapons are all going to be made overall stronger, when complaining about condition overload. With a lower condition cap, you should still be seeing quite large numbers when it's all said and done, that is what DE is working to balance. This is why we haven't seen any numbers set in stone, because they are aware that balance is a touchy thing and must be maintained.

Balance is tough, and people that find out how to exploit the system to deal millions and billions of exponentially scaling damage will inevitably cause creators to close out certain avenues to keep that balance. I think the status cap is acceptable, and I personally will probably not see much difference in my play. So my vote is to go ahead and change CD as planned!

Also I can't wait to see memeing strike kiddies ground to a halt. People get complacent with their exploitative strategies, and suddenly start crying when devs try to balance things. Good riddance.

Capping the status effects is still a mindless approach to how Condition Overload performs, and removes synergy with the rest of your arsenal. It’s not a matter of numbers but the execution. Why prime enemies with your guns, Warframe abilities, bullet jumps, or Companion attacks with status ailments when it’ll be serviceable on your melee weapon since you’ve already reached the Status Effects threshold on the melee mod build itself (stance combo guaranteed procs, IPS, chosen elemental combo)? 

Please refer to my previous argument via WuKong’s Primal Fury stance: 

What’s the point of bringing a planned diversified build and having fun synergy via that process when you have already capped the threshold on this version of Condition Overload? It’ll be a blind dps increase already prepped for you in the mod itself with no strategy or work to achieve that dps increase? Why simplify interesting mod synergies like this, to what end? Just spam melee?

4 hours ago, (NSW)Katsuro said:

I love this thread so many cry babies thats keeping my popcorn salty 🍿

all jokes aside just wait until the final stats are shown and update goes live then we will see what the future holds for melee.

I would endorse this comment so many times the forums would break if I could.

We have no idea how this feels.  We haven't see combos on groups of enemies, the range or AOE of heavy strikes, or even what this looks like with Prime Fury on, or similar melee attack speed buffs.

Doom and gloom is absolutely premature.

13 minutes ago, Shinigami_Greed said:

I would endorse this comment so many times the forums would break if I could.

We have no idea how this feels.  We haven't see combos on groups of enemies, the range or AOE of heavy strikes, or even what this looks like with Prime Fury on, or similar melee attack speed buffs.

Doom and gloom is absolutely premature.

Gonna add on to what I just said. 

The base damage increase for melee is huge.  If it follows the trend of the skana buff we've see which went from sub par to "higher base damage than most heavy melee", then melee's overall threshold will rise dramatically.  Our melee weapons will feel like the current exalted weapons, and those.... I shudder to think of how ludicrous the base damage of Exalted Blade or Hysteria could be.

Personally I feel like the rework itself is gonna be fine - if you ignore what we already have. My guess is that DE might continue reigning in our firepower with these kinds of reworks to be able to design actually challenging content for us. In order for content to be challenging it'd have to be dangerous to us after all, which they would achieve by upping the TTK on enemies. The only problem to this I see: Can you do the same reworks for the rest of our arsenal (primaries, secondaries, frames, ...) within reasonable time? Or is there gonna be a Damage 2.0? What about the work on armor scaling they mentioned?

Right now, looking at melee 3.0 in a vacuum just isn't very helpful. Some stuff like the lifted status seems weird to me, because it's already established that CC has not been viable in this game for a while. Most enemies will probably die before even getting a lifted proc. Hence my thoughts of DE potentially wanting to do something about that.

So again, melee 3.0 in context of what we already have is probably just a nerf to melee. We'll need to see the actual numbers to judge about that. Melee 3.0 in context of what might come, may be just right. And this is the piece of information we're currently missing and which might not be known even to DE themselves.

2 hours ago, Endorphinz said:

Also I can't wait to see memeing strike kiddies ground to a halt. People get complacent with their exploitative strategies, and suddenly start crying when devs try to balance things. Good riddance.

Using maiming strike is as much as a exploit as using nekros, hydroid and Khora to farm anything. IF DE wants to call anything a exploit they should disable it ASAP, but until very recently they have too lazy and/or scared of community backlash to touch anything including Rivens. I played a year and a half at least of Warframe and never once were rivens changed during that time. 

I thank DE for finally taking risks as we are vaguely seeing core changes. Now I hope they listen to at least some of the community feedback rather then none of it. 

Looks great! very excited to see how this goes.

Thanks for the upcoming QoL for scanners and miners. It was so annoying I'd often just spam my 1st ability until enemies died instead of using melee and having to reopen the gear wheel to re equip whatever item I was using. Or dropping the football three rooms back without realizing.

The system for combos looks and sounds very intuitive and fluid, both of which are fantastic things. 100% melee block is also a wonderful new addition.

People saying blocking anytime anywhere makes sense, but... if you block an attack with something other than a tool designed for blocking (in this case, your melee weapon) you risk damage to said object. the same idea applies to blocking something with your arms. While your arms will certainly take a beating, its better than your vitals taking the same level of damage. While I could see an on demand non-melee blocking system being handy and functional, it would have to be less functional than melee for melee to keep its effectiveness. In fact, what I thought of when I read the idea was the animation for when your knockdown resist triggers. You perform a static longsword block with whatever you're holding in your hand. I'm not sure if that's intentional, as I remember for awhile the animation would always use your melee, but currently I've seen it use whatever weapon is equipped. If a reflex-block system was created, perhaps it would replace knockdown resist mods- a command that blocks the knockdown effect, but not (all) damage. Perhaps players could perform bare handed reflex blocks, negating or lessening the impact of a stagger or knockdown while receiving full or slightly reduced damage. Or maybe players could block with their ranged weapons, receiving less damage and absorbing more force than bare handed, but with negative consequences for their weapons, such as the weapon's clip losing ammo, jamming, or being damaged and being unable to be used while it's repaired by some strange warframe-integrated system on the fly.

Making this a manual system would open possibilities for melee as well. It would allow parry inputs, and perhaps manual blocking of (melee) attacks outside the block angle (timing based). But the most important thing is that melee would maintain it's defensive superiority over ranged combat, where mobility and cover is your defense.

As for range changes, they seem like they will be nice. Sure, you won't be able to snipe people with your whip anymore, but your dagger will be able to reach as far as your sword. It evens the playing field a bit- and means you have more viable choices.

Changes to the combo counter also seem great. Blocking adding to it and the animation length playing into it will be fantastic. I'm not sure how I feel about heavy attacks "lifting" enemies, as it sounds kind of goofy, but I'll postpone judgement on that until I get my hands on it. 

As for players complaining that this is a "nerf" to melee, I disagree. It opens new possibilities, and the gameplay will be more fun. If killing the same enemy becomes more difficult, but also more fun & engaging, is it really a nerf? It allows you to explore new tactics and strategies. The best gameplay isn't developed without change and risk taking- and DE didn't wait until they had it "all figured out" to release the game. I think we have a lot to look forward to.

So we can switch to melee only and do combos with mouse click like before and have E for quick melee?i was waiting for that :D
i hope it will be like before because i use melee a lot, and im really tired with that smash EEEEEE all the time and W,A,S,D to move,
shift to sprint, and ctr or c to dash and E all the time also if you wanna do slide attacks with atterax, is so tiring. im really excited to see this changes,
and i hope wil be like before coz my fingers hurts. i start to wandering if i can find a way to add some extra fingers in my left hand :D

2 hours ago, Shinigami_Greed said:

Gonna add on to what I just said. 

The base damage increase for melee is huge.  If it follows the trend of the skana buff we've see which went from sub par to "higher base damage than most heavy melee", then melee's overall threshold will rise dramatically.  Our melee weapons will feel like the current exalted weapons, and those.... I shudder to think of how ludicrous the base damage of Exalted Blade or Hysteria could be.

Heavy Attacks on baruuk 4 on my build could reach 1million before crit damage if this melee 3.0 buff and thats a lot of aoe damage plus I can easier build combo for exalted weapons by just blocking for even more monstrous damage 😎 

A question I have that I don’t think was answered in this post, will auto-blocking still exist in phase 2? And if so, will it still interrupt other actions and force aim-glide? That’s one of my biggest gripes with the current system, jumping around with a melee weapon out sucks because you are constantly getting stopped mid-air by auto-block.

Going to have to wait and see on the release of this, that base damage buff they showed on the Skana won't be nearly enough to keep melee viable for anything but star chart trash if they really nerf all of our scaling damage mods. If they go ham on CO and BR then they'll have relegated melee back to the bad old days, when you only used it for messing about and fashion. I have to think most of the people so happy to see maiming strike struck down never engage with the game beyond doing 10 waves on Hydron. I get that someone slaloming through the maps with their Atterax in missions where it's massive over kill annoys people. I just don't see a way that DE gets rid of that while still allowing melee to remain at all relevant for folks who don't spend all day in the shallow end of the pool. 

Well first of all, the changes that are forthcoming are not that appealing in my honest opinion.

1. I am surprised to see that DE has not taken the time to respond to players concerns regarding CO/BR/MS etc. And the ability to control or perform a Heavy Attack without losing all of your Combo Counter.
  2. The aforementioned nerfs in the thread just made me drop dead on the floor. Yes, I do prefer to play with the Meme Strike setup, not by choice however. I prefer using staves, specifically Sepfahn ones because of the looks and decent overall stat coverage. Also, as many of the other players have mentioned, the Memestrike setup provided a level of AoE Clearing and Forward momentum which no other thing in the game provided, at least not on par with it. Think of it like a ninja running for the final blow which we all have seen in movies where two ninjas are fighting and then they have this final showdown where they both just run towards each other to perform a similar memestrike attack which is like a "kill or be killed scenario". The point is, the devastating AoE damage we got was pretty much from this analogy. There are other ways to solve the problem, like Memestrike not adding into the combo counter or be affected by it after a certain point which would give players a chance to play with their weapons with the stances or choose to memestrike which could reduce it's effectiveness. That way BR and CO could work well with Combo Counter without having to be nerfed to hell, yes a miniature nerf would be welcome but don't overdo it because you would kill memestrike. The stances of staves end up giving them ridiculous amount of forward momentum or literally none, which makes memestrike much much more effective as it is in-between the said stances and best of all, its not stance dependent.
  3. The critical chance changes being done to BR just make it really seem like a massive nerf, now we would have to decide whether we build our weapons with a really good chunk of Critical Chance to make BR effective or not, is really making the Hybrid builds suffer which were the GO-TO setup for Endgame/Endurance runs.
  4. The change to CO, come on, now that's just right out ridiculous. You nerf the one thing that made status a usable source for damage. Now we really have to end up choosing one over the other essentially making every hybrid or status build dead. Yes the damage was insane, but that is to be expected if you are thinking from the perspective of Endurance Runs and veterans who would rather spend hours in a single mission with their buddies to make something out of the run rather than just hard ass grind everything by repeating the mission endless number of times with no form of competition from the so-called hordes of enemies which brings me to my next point.
  5. We are being attacked by multiple enemies, not a single enemy at any given point in time (excluding bosses, which also potentially spawn their underlings for messing up things further and the lifting status effect won't do jack to them because of their immunity), so why would you try to show-case a lifting status effect setup where we are not supposed to be worried about 1 enemy but rather hordes of them.

Coming from a game like Neverwinter where developers empowered stuff to make money for years by creating flavor of the month (yes, on a monthly basis), by nerfing and buffing/breaking mechanics of other classes, led to their downfall. Finally, they destroyed the game by completely reworking the Combat system making a top-tier fast paced game work like League of Legends level of slow and destroying, yes by destroying builds by completely messing up the separation of feats, etc. The game is nearly dead now. And I honestly see the same happening here with the new combat system which is focused on a per-enemy basis rather than taking into account the fact that the game sends 20+ enemies at once rather than one.

The developers here are trying to essentially start from ground up but without looking at what they currently have. The only way this works is if you take down the servers and the game for a few months and REWORK everything at once, because I am pretty sure most of us are like "what in God's name is DE doing?" because from the looks of it, we can see the blankness on your faces as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post and to be honest, I didn't come here to bash the developers but rather talk some sense into them to see and not be blind to what will happen because of these changes - The Ripple Effect.

Sincerely,

.Unforgotten.#9969 

Can we get a list of MR changes? I was SUPER PO'ed to have Atmos, Braton Prime, etc etc basically a LOT of weapons in my foundry ready to build but I hadn't gotten to it, and suddenly the next day I logged in, I couldn't build any of it because the MR shot through the roof with no warning!! 😠

So ... Аre you going to replace one still-born mechanics (Channeling) with another (Heavy Attacks)? It's just that it’s not clear why the player will use the “new” Heavy Attacks if their use resets the combo counter and negates the work of the Blood Rush?

Archived