Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop - Melee Rework Phase 2: TECHNIQUE

SilverBones

I have a huge issue with hold melee button to heavy attack.

I can't use a Keyboard to play due to my hands, so I use a controller. But with the change of hold melee button to heavy attack has ruined quick melee for me.

No matter what I do, it keeps randomly doing heavy attacks while not holding the button, as so I can't even get a combo counter past 2x before I loose it to this random heavy attack.

While I understand why KB players want it and agree, >>>> can Controller users PLEASE have the option to turn off hold melee button to heavy attack.

Edit: this happens on XBOX and PC

On 2019-12-31 at 6:48 PM, PhilfyRatBagz said:

I have a huge issue with hold melee button to heavy attack.

I can't use a Keyboard to play due to my hands, so I use a controller. But with the change of hold melee button to heavy attack has ruined quick melee for me.

No matter what I do, it keeps randomly doing heavy attacks while not holding the button, as so I can't even get a combo counter past 2x before I loose it to this random heavy attack.

While I understand why KB players want it and agree, >>>> can Controller users PLEASE have the option to turn off hold melee button to heavy attack.

Edit: this happens on XBOX and PC

This problem concerns not only consoles. Any build dependent on the combo counter (crit, status) now suffers from this problem. This has been discussed many times in different topics, but there is no answer from DE yet.

For myself, I found a temporary solution to this problem by slowing down the melee weapons. Not perfect, but for now better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-01-22 at 11:40 AM, PhilfyRatBagz said:

Come on DE, are you really not going to address the problem of hold quick melee to heavy attack for controller uses??

You ruined all my focus runs,crit builds and status builds

This is so unfair.

For mouse users, too, actually.

For some reason, DE is very sensitive to any criticism of the new "brilliant" melee system. So don't wait for quick fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

*****ENEMIES***

Unique status effects and animations for enemy weapons and their attacks.

Enemies should have their own set of poisons and magics, or ways to help their team mates with decoys, parries, and curatives which can suspend players or restore HP

• Spoiler

• For larger enemies being hit by melee to counter attack the effects of players using melee or guns,
    • RE-BREATHER enemies, repulsion and shock against bullets and melee overshields added on the frontline,  cameras and access banks, most machines cant defend or have great explosions, animations or fight, they just explode, there should be some amalgamations or magnetics for machines or robots to be mildly interesting, even if its smoke and continuity, reasons for players to scan them for parts or scavenge further to upgrade spears and tools and get arch-wing components, and temp. over-shields.
    • of Oxygen enhancing vials that they carry to defend, attack and block, could be used for creating smoke screens for teleportation and escaping, or recovering overshields and MP. A  re-breathing mask makes sense in the opposite scenario. 
    • Players get enhanced visuals, and filters for their scanners built in to their warframes and void modes..
    • dont see  players getting hit with status effects or anything which would make melee attacks more enjoyable or fun, there are some affinity balls and warframe abilities, but enemies should also drop some occasional things, if not at least hacking and parazon receive other temporary bonuses outside of those that are on the mod bench, say opening treasure chest with stimulants or magnetic aggregates blast chance, and damage types enhanced by weather and planets varyants. This should apply to enemies and team mates nearby, if there is a radiating pod or crystal, you can pull it off by making the dogbox far less succeptible to bullets and explosions or more detailed guardsmen, that we scavenge for vines in the forests and other components for amps and scans to count for something should include crit chance and other temporary boosters, somewhat like sneaking around bonuses that are refreshing or unique sound effects, zelaous scanner, fishing and minning can get interesting.
    • kuva enemies get their own procs and damage types
    • enemies bullets get their own bled and proc types.
    • machineguns and cameras have additional thunder, burning, and dizzying effect terminus, which can stop players from far from using archwing in some flying zones to stop enemy players from just dropping bombs, this forces them to walk and use ninja skills instead of shortcutss.
    • for example large overshields and fortress vehicles, lakes or underwater tech, stompee enhancements, radar enhancements, roller enhancements all and also MAP JAMM to mask enemies.
    • The scanner should get some recharges from melee and hacks as players open chests and collect loot on the floors, additional charges and energy affect temporary bonuses and speed with combat and mission or planet type, that are affected by the enemeis and weather types, i think that is decent to give boosters and rewards for manual scans or robotic enhancements based on the scans of living and downed enemies, with new sounds and free charges players cant complain.
    • the scanning melee enhancements for the warframe are obtained in bursts and combos especially like the parazon and finisher status "mercy" could have some other melee or gun varyants can get frozen to bits, or something unique according to the polarities and planets or weather types, schools of focus or warframe / robotic and syndicate ranks, the players will want to change those finishers and modify their parazon and obtics.
    • thankyou.

I see heavy attack as a combo starter or bonus which leaves open some temporary gate of randomized bonuses like the old channeling mode, it could be held to be charged or pressed with other buttons or triggered, crouch, air mode, offering maybe that slam attacks give new openers and combo chains / magic / AoE, But you can figure that maybe you want to add something so that players get more defensive if they are walking or have just rolled, etc.

The only thing left to work on is Melee mods and operator schools. because they lack lustre and are way to simular to gun neuroptics, and batteries for temporary special attacks and channeling, mean while parazon and hacking should gain their own finishers and bonuses, i have not seen status effects or magic matter on downed enemies, and robotics or scans get their own benefits and attacks, so that can be interesting to see more multi attacks or guns step out from their 1,  2 , 3 configurations after downning a enemy or picking up extra ammo to keep things decisive, players should want to get those ammo boxes and go for treasure chests and lockers.

Mean while the polarities and focus schools get aughmented animations and bonuses which are unique to each planet or enemy type, it can last temporary as a gate that enhances all madurai channels or heavy attacks, amps dont have reload function or other melee attacks, and void mode and abilities still stink, am not sure whats happening without lenses equiped, most of the game sucks, even if u get a yellow ball or open chests, so lets at least use those lenses for additional or unique attack procks and status effects on lense grade, that means some attacks can be solar charged or have different rewards or reload features, installing solar damage, or cold daggers on their coatings, energy pickups, catalysts and objects should have other uses.

operator heavy attacks and jumping / dashing / teleporting somewhat predictable, can be changed by magical abilities and neuroptics, helmets, or protosuits which are rewarded with advanced syndicate tiers and bounties, pvp, which alot additional focus points, skills and merits without requiring a focus lense, in which NPC can just give players particular teachings and spells to unlock or use, lenses, and robotis, or aughmenting modes, and parazon tricks, all of these could be unmasked by defeating enemies, scanning, hacking, using finishers, and completing or replaying nodes / bosses and modes.

archwing melee, and open world , maybe new abilities and passives, archwing heavy is still horrible, and melee missing from melee and flying in  openworld, the k-drive rewards and mods arrive several planets later, which makes PVP and CETUS life really boring bounties, and bad rewards, earth needs to get its own set of bows and kitguns, or effects to be intreresting, we have so much replayable content and shops without great things to sell, i think that more shards and rewards for players using finishers and defeating or opening chests, using machines, and hacking, or parazon adjustments can be earned, new NPC should be added, especially to realy and robots and enemies, dojos are really large for just a few players to scadoodle, if u wanna add some collesium in another planet go for it, the large bossfights lack rewards and mods, blueprints and operator gear, abilities to unlock, and magic, if you ever played anything like kindom hears or any RPG you will be looking for more stuff while scavenging and fighting if you have a RPG background, so its important to give finisher attacks and treasure chests or pickups additional overhaul animations, and sound effects.

thats all i got. i really wanted to say teleportation attacks and overheating for archwing since it has no additional bonuses, archwing gun and dismount is really nasty, maybe a heavy weapon can appear more accesible  after using the heavy weapon without scrolling through a large wheel, like a phamtom magician, or yugio, the same goes for spectre and operator modes which lack interesting animations and magic to unlock, so most players will jsut grab a rubico and shoot the eidolons instead of enjoying those modes or replaying bounties, or going back to any planet on the star map, because they need a special reason or a lense to equip, and there is not much left to aquire or unlock for their warframes, and weapons, if you at least give us more aughments and customization- later the space combat can have weathers and other tricks,, more jungles, and heat waves.

i mean if you wanna get down, look at shenmue or yakusa games water graphics for melee inspiration, the raining environments and graphics are really boring for most enemies and dirt / plant life, pickups should be affected by these weather conditions per planet, not just that the night cycles cause plate magnetism changes to tides and new monsters or enemies to appear late to work, oversleept, nox is still a big guy, but he is fleeshy and explodes, it not a great idea without a bunch of kuva babies or robots to give the commanders some cover, or shiny decoys to make an escape. But you can at  least play dirty and use the mud, and surfaces, machines for additional status effects which have a temporary or limited rach, reload mechanics, and heavy attacks, shoot at the floor, shoot at the air can hav ebeneficial effects, or distractions, pigmented gases, and special volcanic areas on other planets make for a bed of bones, or musical changes easily can think of a few desert changes, and underwater combat adjustments, loot.

The shark hits you n limits ur visuals or hampers ur reload button if its a side attack, i seen the arching stop working underwater a lot too, i dont like guns requiring reload at most cases maybe punchthrough can be added under some new animations and team attacks or finishers or robotic bonuses, i know euphony is a great weapon but its predictable and has no true augments and players will want to dual wield right away, maybe it can have a bonus to melee and switch skill for pickups and energy matter pickups make euphona radio active, while reload makes the euphone supper charge and melee attacks agitate the accelerators of the weapon,

so what you are seeing is players using their secondary weapons to do finishers and item wheels to carry other special loot and rewards, the "en do" is then put into upgrading older weapons kit-guns, and crafting, operators can use endo for their amps and arcane with animal ideas, ayatan, fish, and magic on to further or melee and void modes, their links with their war-frames, and passive traits or at least have a reason to replay Pluto or do Cetus bounties are limited, shops have few wares and reasons to keep players interested are locked behind riven mods, pvp, and rivens.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo DE.

Still waiting on that Quick Melee toggle. Y'know, the one to automatically unequip your melee after attacking with it via the button rather than locking in?

Cuz it'd make a lot of people happy, just like the... well I guess the removal of hold-to-heavy-attack is an improvement, it is for me, but is it really not possible to do toggles for things like that? Really? Cuz I kinda find it hard to believe. Gotta be some people who liked it.

So yeah. A toggle for 'auto-unequip melee' please.

On 2020-02-14 at 10:04 AM, DeltaPangaea said:

Yo DE.

Still waiting on that Quick Melee toggle. Y'know, the one to automatically unequip your melee after attacking with it via the button rather than locking in?

Cuz it'd make a lot of people happy, just like the... well I guess the removal of hold-to-heavy-attack is an improvement, it is for me, but is it really not possible to do toggles for things like that? Really? Cuz I kinda find it hard to believe. Gotta be some people who liked it.

So yeah. A toggle for 'auto-unequip melee' please.

Well, with the latest changes, the new system is even playable.So if they return "quick attacks" and the 'auto-unequip melee', I can even say that the melee is finally back.

1 hour ago, Snoit said:

Well, with the latest changes, the new system is even playable.So if they return "quick attacks" and the 'auto-unequip melee', I can even say that the melee is finally back.

Basically yeah. The most recent changes made it FAR better than what we were left with for ages, but just this one thing, the ability to automatically switch back to my guns unless I lock in?

I would be 200% happy with melee, zero complaints, singing praises.

On 2020-02-15 at 10:02 PM, DeltaPangaea said:

Basically yeah. The most recent changes made it FAR better than what we were left with for ages, but just this one thing, the ability to automatically switch back to my guns unless I lock in?

I would be 200% happy with melee, zero complaints, singing praises.

You can manually equip your melee via holding the swap weapon button.

3 hours ago, SpringRocker said:

You can manually equip your melee via holding the swap weapon button.

That's exactly the opposite of what he wants. The person you replied to didn't want their melee to stay active, they wanted it to stay away unless explicitly in use right now (as in: you're actively swinging).

I still hate the current system.

-Stances are almost universally horrible. There is exactly zero reason for forcing the player to move or not move in some arbitrary direction simply because they pressed the melee key. If I'm holding back and strafe left, I expect to move backwards and to the left continuously at the same speed unless I run into something. I do not expect to be launched forwards. This behaviour was here from the very start of Melee 2.0 and it is inexcusable. The only reason why the player should ever have the controls taken out of their hands in a fast-paced game like this is because a special enemy has used some kind of disabling ability on us.

There are precisely 4 weapon categories which are actually usable as a result: polearms with shimmering blight or bleeding willow, dual daggers with stinging thorn sinking talon, unstanced rapiers and unstanced nunchucks.

Every. Single. Other. Weapon. Interrupts. Or. Overrides. Your. Movement. Whenever. You. Swing. It. Is. Just. As. Awkward. To. Play. As. This. Is. To. Read.

Stop it. It's only justifiable as a balancing point on very large, very high-damage weapons. Not for single ordinary swords. Definitely not for nunchucks and daggers.

-High attack speed completely breaks some weapons. Try using a polearm (shimmering blight or bleeding willow, unstanced or twirling spire are utter trash due to the above point) with primed fury and a warframe ability speed buff such as Volt, Valk or Wisp (at least 150% power strength and it's easier to see, it's blindingly obvious at 200% power strength). Try attacking continuously. You can't. Same goes for dual swords with swirling tiger, though it's not as immediately obvious.

-Autoblock is a terrible thing to force upon the players. I don't want to be slowed down, I don't want to be forced into aimglide and I don't want my zaw to suddenly decide that it's going to kill me in an explosion simply because one enemy shot at me while I was jumping at them, forced me into aimglide mode and caused Exodia Contagion to shoot when I'm approximately 4 metres away.

-Glaives are basically pointless. The only situation in which they work even slightly well is in the special pistol-glaive dual mode, and they don't even explode any more.

While I'm happy that my old quick-melee is back for Polearms, making the game fun again for me, I sympathize with people who like other weapons and cannot play freely without control being ripped from their hands by stances.

Stances absolutely should not take control from you - at least not like Warframe is doing it. Other games with "combos" have short "moves" that you activate with a predictable movement patterns and distance that can be used tactically... Warframe's combos feel wild and uncontrolled, with no tactical, predictable use, factoring in attack speed mods and how long the combos stretch.

Overall, auto-block, on the ground, has been a blessing... but auto-block in the air remains an unwanted occurrence.

4 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

That's exactly the opposite of what he wants. The person you replied to didn't want their melee to stay active, they wanted it to stay away unless explicitly in use right now (as in: you're actively swinging).

Oki, then I was just confused.

When you press melee you strike once and have it out. If you press fire or aim you instantly switch back (like you have it out to begin with) and fire/aim.

Also there's some issues with some other things you've said.

-High attack speed completely breaks some weapons. Try using a polearm (shimmering blight or bleeding willow, unstanced or twirling spire are utter trash due to the above point) with primed fury and a warframe ability speed buff such as Volt, Valk or Wisp (at least 150% power strength and it's easier to see, it's blindingly obvious at 200% power strength). Try attacking continuously. You can't. Same goes for dual swords with swirling tiger, though it's not as immediately obvious.

I have a build (valk) where I do all that and add on an extra 2 arcane strikes using Dual Raza, I don't see what you're trying to say.

-Glaives are basically pointless. The only situation in which they work even slightly well is in the special pistol-glaive dual mode, and they don't even explode any more.

Yes, they do still explode. Press melee again after throwing it.

3 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

I have a build (valk) where I do all that and add on an extra 2 arcane strikes using Dual Raza, I don't see what you're trying to say.

It's not as easy to trigger with dual swords, my testbed is the dark split sword with PFury and volt with 200% strength. It's much easier to see with the orthos prime under the same setup.

4 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

Yes, they do still explode. Press melee again after throwing it.

Perhaps so, but not on its own volition on the final bounce - which was the whole draw of it from my perspective (bounce reduce mod + power throw = fun against crowds of infested).

7 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

It's not as easy to trigger with dual swords, my testbed is the dark split sword with PFury and volt with 200% strength. It's much easier to see with the orthos prime under the same setup.

Perhaps so, but not on its own volition on the final bounce - which was the whole draw of it from my perspective (bounce reduce mod + power throw = fun against crowds of infested).

Guy, point is no, I'm able to attack just fine and I exceed the melee speeds that you're going at. P. Fury, Berserker, Valk, 2 arcane strikes, and frequently a Wisp. I never had issues.

Also no, you said "Glaives are basically pointless. The only situation in which they work even slightly well is in the special pistol-glaive dual mode, and they don't even explode any more." but the thing is you can still detonate the glaives.

9 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

Guy, point is no, I'm able to attack just fine and I exceed the melee speeds that you're going at. P. Fury, Berserker, Valk, 2 arcane strikes, and frequently a Wisp. I never had issues.

Right. Now try it with orthos prime and primed fury.

Also, what framerate do you run at? I've heard that it's more common at higher frame rates.

9 minutes ago, SpringRocker said:

Also no, you said "Glaives are basically pointless. The only situation in which they work even slightly well is in the special pistol-glaive dual mode, and they don't even explode any more." but the thing is you can still detonate the glaives.

You can also no longer charge up throws when you have your gun out. That's the main problem. If I don't have easy access to the throw, their whole thing is negated and they become pointless given the existence of melee weapons which do the whole melee (as opposed to throwing) thing better. Glaives and gunblades are the sole reason why hold input for heavy attack was put back in. The problem is not the charge attack - this worked fine before. The problem is that the input processing system got broken somewhere in this process.

17 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Right. Now try it with orthos prime and primed fury.

Also, what framerate do you run at? I've heard that it's more common at higher frame rates.

You can also no longer charge up throws when you have your gun out. That's the main problem. If I don't have easy access to the throw, their whole thing is negated and they become pointless given the existence of melee weapons which do the whole melee (as opposed to throwing) thing better. Glaives and gunblades are the sole reason why hold input for heavy attack was put back in. The problem is not the charge attack - this worked fine before. The problem is that the input processing system got broken somewhere in this process.

Did, no problem. I even kept on the extra arcane strikes, no problem.

Yes, you can still charge your throws. Hold down melee with a pistol out.

If you're not even going to say something that can't easily test to be wrong (or done making stuff up) there's not much more to say. I get it, you don't like the new system, neither to I (went from combos to button spam) but running your mouth making stuff up that can be easily checked isn't the way to go.

Done with you, I feel like that one guy that stands there arguing with a kid going "Nuh-uh!".

16 hours ago, SpringRocker said:

Did, no problem. I even kept on the extra arcane strikes, no problem.

Yes, you can still charge your throws. Hold down melee with a pistol out.

If you're not even going to say something that can't easily test to be wrong (or done making stuff up) there's not much more to say. I get it, you don't like the new system, neither to I (went from combos to button spam) but running your mouth making stuff up that can be easily checked isn't the way to go.

Done with you, I feel like that one guy that stands there arguing with a kid going "Nuh-uh!".

Good for you, but my Orthos Prime breaks every single time I get a speed buff. I already told you the procedure for checking it, you don't seem to have this problem.

Again, what frame rate do you run at? 144 Hz here, and weapon breaking at high speed is incredibly "reliable" for me. Again: every single time.

• 1 month later...

Returned after the first phase of melee 3.0 was such a mess. But this has imho even become more ridiculous now. I hope that this time some of the DEVs will read this.(I aleady did post this idea before and after phase one of melee 3.0).

How we can get all the cookies: Autoblock, Manual Block, Quick Attacks and more:

1. Quick Attacks

Why should we only be limited to a Quick Melee key? Change it to a Quick Attack key.

Primary Attack key should use the locked mode weapon, while Quick Attack should switch to the other modes attack

a) Gun Mode will still give you quick melee attacks with Quick Attack as it it now and auto-switch back to gun.

b) Melee Mode will fire a few shots with your last selected gun but still stays in melee mode (thus also switched back to melee again automatically).

2. Auto & Manual Block

Autoblock should be an option that can be disabled in the menu for those who dislikes it (this enables the option to use Autobock in Melee Mode). But it should always be possible to manually block.

3. Aimglide / Aim / Glide / Blocking

I don't know who thought or still thinks that it is a good idea to combine Aiming and Gliding into one key/button input. It's annoying and should only be a fallback menu option for those who are in love with this.

Almost any other Shooter with Glide function uses "hold jump key" as input for gliding. This give the option to decide to zoom or not and enables gliding with melee and blocking.

Really, why we have to bear this mess called Aimglide? It causes more problem that is solves and is just an annoying gun-favoring factor to combine those two things.

I mean, we could have it all. Autoblock & Melee Block, Quick Melee and Quick Fire, Gun Mode and Melee Mode. Everything could be so smooth and the solution is relatively simple imho.

The problem is, we now have to bear this mess atm for at least a half year or more before any changes will be made. I I know that the status as it is now will cause me to drop the game again soon, cause ugly input bindings are annoying me constantly.

I prefer to melee in warframe and atm I either have to be in melee mode to have access to blocking and loose the option to quickly fire a few shoots or only use Quick Melee and have no access to blocking.

I mean, why? The solution is so simple that I'm surprised that the DEVs haven't thought about this. This solves all the problems while giving use more fluid and flexible weapon switches than any other implementation so far.

Just now, supernils said:

@Illgore So if I get this right, to break it down to one sentence:

in hard melee mode you want the quick melee key, which has no function in that mode currently, to be a quick ranged attack?

Yeah that's the intention. Why should the key has no use and thus leaving the hard melee mode handicapped? The DEVs always talk about equality between melee and guns but I don't see it any of the implementations so far. But this simple change would make the game for "hard melee" fans more fluid and would encourage them to use their guns more often on quick occasions. Something players who favor guns had all the time with quick melee. There is no reason to restrict "hard melee mode" like that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-04-13 at 5:56 PM, Illgore said:

Yeah that's the intention. Why should the key has no use and thus leaving the hard melee mode handicapped? The DEVs always talk about equality between melee and guns but I don't see it any of the implementations so far. But this simple change would make the game for "hard melee" fans more fluid and would encourage them to use their guns more often on quick occasions. Something players who favor guns had all the time with quick melee. There is no reason to restrict "hard melee mode" like that.

Hard melee block actually blocks 100% of incoming damage LOL. But again DE, where is part 3 of Melee 3.0?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-05-03 at 3:40 PM, CrimsonBladeZeta said:

Hard melee block actually blocks 100% of incoming damage LOL. But again DE, where is part 3 of Melee 3.0?

i think blocking should be more rewarding and parrying to have magical or teleportation rewards without arcanes or mods, at least which enfeeble loot and pickups, and procs are enhanced further, critical, passive traits added to the weapons stances and energy which is added to a meter, we have combo, but its barely anything visible, so there are so many mods which talk about combo counters have them give other benefits for players who dont know, +20 fire, or something added will solve alot of problems in some status and combo modules, blocking could grant simular enhancements or recoil mods, fire-rate up or fast primary or secondary shooting, a good mod allows for switing to the secondary with enhanced magicdamage or ability enhancements on empty but its not enough to miss out on serration and speed, so those mods should have +30 wind or battery fcharges which also give melee mods--primary and secondary weapons enhancing aughments to machineguns, snipers, and special reload features, for example a convert mod just uses bullets, but doesnt feature anything for the next melee attack like the energy channel module, so those two can be combined, or have a powershoot, or dodge/roll feature, air teleport, or trick shot, zoom adds strenght, abilities change the proc type on recast, or give melee attacks adherent properties. Overall melee lacks good reload and acrobatic benefits, and good aerial-loot revalent rewards, some good ideas are to allow enemy weapons to be used temporarily with finishers, or parazon to give melee "data" and energy which has occoult or dark properties, not just radiation and viral status, but new things which can only be seen in the air, or while sliding, after casting abilities or recasting/reloading,crouching like geomancers and magicians, indian smoke summuning a rune or spirit which gives the players a good melee or stance related ANIMAL RUNE or SYMBOL and gives focus and powers to each attack, these can have new finishers and transform enemies into powder, ice, and noise, distortion, sun, or special clan/syndicate attacks, can be based on stances and bought with platinum, but at least could have a set of moves to unlock or passives added with each endo, blocking, acrobatic melee needs teleportation, or tileset/weather improvements, rain, snow, and slam attack changes.

Well, DE still left Exalted melee weapons in dust.... I don't even think they WILL work on melee system even again LOL. They are focusing on making unfinished content that triggers players are pretty crazy as a game developer. It is like they don't even care about their players and try to work on things that they think it is 'COOL', which really isn't because they don't even play their game or listen to the partner players. 

Half an year, still nothing, that's great DElay. 

Archived