Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for watching Devstream #132!

[DE]Rebecca

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-10-22 at 2:11 PM, Excaulibar said:

I kinda agree, I think though that they should make the narrative guide more distinct. and I am going to explain it my best but I have only three things that will help the game.

One: Distinct narrative, make the index and codex more organized, show the quests that lead to the bigger narrative and with each quest add more dept. Content level, Second Dream that quest made me feel like I was my character instead of having a nonimmersive experience. Make the quests better and the path to get to the Sacrifice and the New War more organized with the things required for the quest. Then after they finish the main story they can go forward to the side quests, then to getting more frames, and helping gear toward endgame then make an actually good endgame with content that is more difficult and harder so for the players that sprint all other content in a few days or weeks has much better content. But also for new players keep the intro the same.

Two: Make the game feel like you are actually playing and experiencing it. Make it less grindy with slightly higher drop chaces for frames and primes. Then drastically change scaling, by making the content feel like you accomplished something. then have to grind for all this stuff and have it not be worth it. Basically improve the intrinsic feeling.

Three: Change the market, the codex, the arsenal, the conclave, the primary, secondary, and melee choices. Then make Archwings better because if you are going to fight in space combat then you should pay attention to the archwings and their territory. Now to explain some of this stuff, With the Conclave, make the PvP experience better, make it similar to PvP games but not necessarily like them. Arsenal, since there are a ton of frames divide them into four or five sections, with them going like this, Defensive based frames, like Frost and Limbo, Offensive based frames, like Valkyr and Ash, Support based frames, like Wisp and Trinity, Tanky based frames, like Rhino and Sayn, and Health based frames, that only have health, like Nidus and Inaros. Doing so will clear up the way it is seen. Keep the Mastery thing that tells what frames have been already mastered that you own. But put them into the type of classes listed. Weapons, since the most success came for Warframe was weekly updates and constant toys being added, at least put the weapons in a Rapid, Auto, Semi, Silent, and explosives. For The Codex make the main quests the most important then side quests important but still able to be done and then make it look more organized based on the priority of the quests that are important for the narrative. Then have clear stated Factions, the places they are found and what can the best defenses for them. Redo the mod system, maybe add bonuses to mods after a specific achievement. Then for the Foundry, idealy if it took a person a specific amount of resources and item with a higher rarity there should be a shorter wait time, However depending on the MR level the time should be with in reason. Just a random idea. The foundry can make frames and items really quick, maybe instead of making an MR 0-5 have to wait 1-7 days to get something. If they are really low in MR then have them at least wait for the 12 hours required to build the components for a frame, or have them wait a day for the frame to be build. Instead of 12 hours for components then 3 days at most for getting a warframe. But if having such long wait times is good then why do people feel like they are playing a waiting game instead of an actual game with much better content?

Now I was just trying to show somethings that could be better. 

What is “the narrative guide?”

To try to help explain the question,
it can be useful to posit myself as “I,” to fill in as example and explainer.

Well, it’s not MY task to define someone else’s terms.  

If I am going to try to suggest something, it is my task to define my terms.

What do I mean by that?

Well, there are basically TWO categories of what I would call “my terms.”

Both share a particular distinction, in that they are terms which are not used, or are very rarely used BY “DE” (meaning anyone speaking or writing on behalf of DE about Warframe, e.g. making “official statements”), and are not used within the Game (i.e. “Official Canon”)

Now, here I have already applied “my own terms,” of the first type, by referring to something in terms which are not used by “DE” in discussion of Warframe, and is not used within the context of the game’s “Universe,” which is “official canon.”

Now that is an example of the first type, because there are numerous ways by which “canon” can be, or is, described, and I want to stick with a particular one, which is “canon (fiction),” as it is described by Wikipedia (at present),

In fiction, canon is the material accepted as officially part of the story in the fictional universe of that story. It is often contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction. The alternative terms mythology, timeline, universe and continuity are often used, with the first of these being used especially to refer to a richly detailed fictional canon requiring a large degree of suspension of disbelief (e.g. an entire imaginary world and history), while the latter two typically refer to a single arc where all events are directly connected chronologically. Other times, the word can mean "to be acknowledged by the creator(s)".

and then further explained through the rest of the entry (if those terms prove insufficient for understanding how or why “canon” is being used, or what it means or represents, if I bring it up again later on), for the sake of which I’ll append a link to follow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

The 

The Second category of “my terms,” is what could be called “in my own terms.”

And to draw up an easy example, which employs just what I have covered thus far, the “canon” of Warframe does extend beyond the parameters of “fiction,” in large part, because the “Universe” of Warframe is “interactive.” Which essentially means that what occurs within the game is merely “framed” in fictional terms, (while the things which players do, or the ways by which they THEMSELVES ACT in relation to the situations, rules, propositions, objects, etc. of the game “Universe”) is actually being done. It is real, and factual, that while playing Warframe, players are really doing something, and interacting with something that really exists.

The emphasis upon that relationship dynamic, is that participants are necessarily a part of what comprises the “creators,” as well as the participants which traditionally require “content,” as “consumers.”

The “players” (or, alternately, the “Tenno” IN Warframe), effectively fulfill the greater part of two roles simultaneously, which in traditional types of fiction are distinctive and separated from one another, inside of a shared “environment.”

(“Environments are not passive wrappings, but are, rather, active processes which are invisible. The groundrules, pervasive structure, and over-all patterns of environments elude easy perception.“)

The two roles which have been traditionally split, but are combined within Warframe, are:

The role of Audience, and the role of Actor.

It is not often that one has an opportunity to Act and watch whom it is that they are portraying from an audience (or “third person”) perspective, at the same time. In fact, the only other experience which most people ever get to have of that (aside from while playing a video game), is while “dreaming in the third person.”

(The “content” that is created to satisfy the needs of both first and third person, is where the “second person” is positioned, and where the fourth dimension of the overall environment is being constructed and supported.)

So the role of self as actor, represented in another “universe,” as something which they are not (“here,” in the existent, real, contingent world, or “universe”), while still being WHO they are within it, (in the case of the Warframe “Universe,” as “Tenno”), means that the players as Tenno are not only a very real part of the Game “UNIVERSE,” but a fundamentally necessary, inexorable part of it. 

The intentionality of the developers to create the game in such a way that it operates by players assuming the combined role in relation to the “content” created for those purposes, has been very clearly explained since “The Beginning,” (and should go a long way towards explaining why there is no “endgame,” in any traditionally defined sense of the term).

So, for those reasons, I find it helpful to combine terms which describe those combined aspects as “The Tennoverse.”

”The Tennoverse,” is just a word that I made up, (in “my own terms”), for the sake of talking about things which are denoted by the definition which I provided.

Now, what would I suggest for making improvements to how “The Tennoverse” is explained, or how its “canon” is presented, or even more so, how it is REPRESENTED, (since the Game is in a perpetual state of continuous “development”)?

Well, that is something which will have to come out in a forum where the Topic presents that question, or otherwise avails itself to such suggestions.

So, what is the meaning of “the narrative guide?”

Archived