Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Players Hate balance in Warframe

(PSN)sweatshawp

5 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Melee isn't a risk vs reward situation. Melee isn't the most efficient way to kill enemies in many situations, which removes the reward aspect from the equation. The only point in using melee is if you enjoy the way it plays.

Which is why there's typically a lot of complaints over the melee changes. The changes have all been purely about how "cool" playing melee looks, or shifting melee into a supportive position like it is for generic shooters, rather than how it feels to play, as well is fixing the efficiency problem that led people into Maiming Strike builds in the first place.

I personally don't care for melee to look cool with a bunch of effects and animations as a priority, the game is too fast and focused on slaughtering hordes for it to be a priority, and eventually the effects are unnoticed anyways.

They are addressing core issues about Melee's balance. Scaling was a really poor mechanic - melee started out worthless, dealing far less damage than anything else. But with some band-aid scaling mods (you know the ones), it scaled to the point of being so efficient it stifled other weapons, doubly so when Meming Strike came along.

Remember, a decently large chunk of dev workshops are to sell you to the idea - and  this:MP2-ProGamerMove.gif

makes good advertising to the player base. Looking cool is a selling point for a lot of players. I know some more people are getting more fond of Profit taker purely because of Behemot's work as effectively Warframe Style videos, DMC-style using ie. Looking more badass is part of the power fantasy of being a badass.

But they are addressing efficiency. Melee is going to be brought back on par with everything else, and actually designed around being stronger at base, both good for the game overall and for the system as part of a cohesive whole combat system. In part, that's what juggling and whatnot does - it disables an enemy whilst letting you deal constant damage. Wider swings will also let players continue to deal damage to other targets at the same time - plus it's not unlikely that 'lifted' will be able to affect multiple targets, but that's something we'll have to wait and see. Stuff like that is how DMC managed to get its niche - you were rewarded for looking cool by better gameplay. Launching targets, dodging attacks and keeping targets at your mercy all tied into the style metre, and all benefit you.

Some hate balance, but I’ve also seen people in these forums advocate for EXTREME balance, like insisting that all content be complete-able with an unmodded  Skana.

There’s certainly room for games where the weakest weapon is always viable with enough skill, but Warframe is long past that point.

the new melee changes look fun. Can’t wait to try them out.

10 hours ago, CodeUltimate said:

it's not that people hate balance but this changes prioritize form over function and are completely useless for a game like warframe. I'm really gonna enjoy getting one shotted while ''combo-ing'' an enemy xd

The stance rework has some potential if wukong’s iron staff is any indication. The way combos work there feels good. 

11 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

Yeah. It's a PvE game, who needs it? Like, today I saw an article about Borderlands 3 (I think, might have been Destiny 2) nerfing a gun and I facepalmed. Like, who cares, it's a single player game, let the people have their fun.

No.

Even single player games with 0 human interactions have balance. Every game has a difficulty curve and players power is aligned to his progression. Usually,  you start with a club and progress in gear tiers along with the game. As the player grows stronger, he gets confrontet with tougher enemies, so that over the course of the whole game he can repeatedly experience exciting situations. A "Sword of Godslaying+5" found in the very first crate, that OHKO even the final boss, will just make the whole experience moot, if overcomming obstacles was initial design choice. Balance exists to continuously challenge the player.

Another issue occures, when presented gear is heavely tilted in one direction, like when magic heavely overshadows archery at every stage of the game. Then you created a placeholder or dead content. If the palyer is presented with only one reasonable option, then there are no options. As a result every subsequent playthrough offers nothing new and reduces replay value. Balance exists to provide several valid options and create variety, which in return increases replay value.

10 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

You literally described a fully balanced environment. "When everything is special, nothing is." So you yourself agree that balance is not fun.

Subject of dicussion is not just math and balance in this particular topic is not simply created with equal numerical values.