Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So what exactly is replacing channeling?

Ryden

I don't think I fully understood exactly how juggling and comboing replaces something as versatile as channeling. Seriously, why remove it entirely?? It simply detracts from the experience, as opposed to improving it. You now literally have less options to play with. But they've added a *very* useful "tactical dodge", as if constantly moving isn't the name of the game.

I feel like it could've easily been kept along with the new melee changes/additions, same as how they brought back melee toggle. I understand many people don't find use in channeling, but some of us do. 

Admittedly, I'm concerned on the count of the fact that they didn't really touch on what exactly they've done to channeling mods, not even providing any examples of what to expect. And in that fog, I'm left cold and afraid, desperately clutching onto my precious Life Strike, as I anxiously brace myself for the worst possible result.

12 minutes ago, Ryden said:

Admittedly, I'm concerned on the count of the fact that they didn't really touch on what exactly they've done to channeling mods, not even providing any examples of what to expect. And in that fog, I'm left cold and afraid, desperately clutching onto my precious Life Strike, as I anxiously brace myself for the worst possible result.

Addressing this first, they've said a couple times that channelling mods will apply to heavy attacks - which will likely include the heavy slam. This should provide the necessary burst of health.

Life Strike - Heavy Attacks will now regenerate Health.

In general, channeling is being replaced by two things, one of which isn't implemented in phase 2 (which lets be real, is different enough to qualify as 3.0 proper). The channelling is replaced by heavy attacks that use combo, distinct as number of hits, as the resource - not energy. These will deal greatly increased damage, and are one of the ways to cause enemies to be affected by the 'lift' status, which is a slower ragdoll that doesn't yeet them away from you, instead leaving them suspended for a moment near your location, which can be prolonged by continuing to attack them.

It will also be replaced by a Devil Trigger-style Rage Mode. Details are scarce on this, however.

• Like 1

Are you sure you... I don't know... read the forum post by the devs about it? Because the answers are all there.

Also,

54 минуты назад, Ryden сказал:

something as versatile as channeling

I am sorry but in current melee system only two things are versatile: CO-Blood Rush polearms and the Redeemer, neither requires chanelling to use.

• Like 1

Sorry but channeling has been a dead feature since it was added. Also seems fitting that it's getting removed in favor of charge heavy attacks which were killed when channeling was added. Even several of the channeling mods being converted to heavy attack mods were originally charge attack mods.

Now if only we could get full access to blocking again (not requiring an input to "equip" the melee first) we'll have gone full circle back to the good features of melee 1.0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trst said:

Now if only we could get full access to blocking again (not requiring an input to "equip" the melee first) we'll have gone full circle back to the good features of melee 1.0.

Newish player here, How did blocking work when using guns and quick melee?

Edited by (NSW)Sk0rp1on
Typo

24 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

Before the current iteration of melee usage, the melee weapon existed with two access methods: Quick Melee, which was just hitting your melee key when you have your primary/secondary equipped to do non-combo based quick attacks (typically the initial 2-3 swings in the weapons standard stance combo) without fully equipping your melee weapon. You'd automatically go back to your primary/secondary if you stop swinging. The other form was to equip your melee weapon proper by holding your weapons swap key. For example on the xbox console it would be to hold the Y button, this would draw out your melee weapon fully and lock you into your melee weapon until you put it away manually (Holding your weapon swap key again). Blocking with melee was done by holding (pressing if it's set to toggle-block) your aim key.

Manual blocking was functionally removed at default with the current iteration of melee since the aim-key while in melee now swaps to primary/secondary if equipped. It still functions as a block should a melee weapon be the only weapon equipped in the players loadout though.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)RPColten said:

Manual blocking was functionally removed at default with the current iteration of melee since the aim-key while in melee now swaps to primary/secondary if equipped. It still functions as a block should a melee weapon be the only weapon equipped in the players loadout though.

Cool, thanks. Makes me think that they could also add a “quick shot” to melee mode that only shoots from the hip when you pull the right trigger. This could be switched to the default melee button for people who use right trigger for melee. 

3 hours ago, Ryden said:

I don't think I fully understood exactly how juggling and comboing replaces something as versatile as channeling. Seriously, why remove it entirely?? It simply detracts from the experience, as opposed to improving it. You now literally have less options to play with. But they've added a *very* useful "tactical dodge", as if constantly moving isn't the name of the game.

I feel like it could've easily been kept along with the new melee changes/additions, same as how they brought back melee toggle. I understand many people don't find use in channeling, but some of us do. 

They are replacing channeling with heavy attacks. Pratically they are the same crap of charging attacks with the only difference they will consume your combo counter to deal more damage and making jiggle the enemies in the air. Probably they will release new mods to deal more damage to the jiggled enemies because for now, on the paper,  this has no sense at all.

Edited by bibmobello

3 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Well, you're in luck, because it's one of the few things getting an unequivocal buff. It will now grant its speed increase on hitting any enemy with a heavy attack: no kill necessary.

But you need to have a charged Combo counter and you're wasting it. We need to see this in practice though...

1 hour ago, bibmobello said:

But you need to have a charged Combo counter and you're wasting it. We need to see this in practice though...

They said you didn't need to have any combo to do a heavy attack, but that you did need combo to apply lifted status. I'm not sure whether other effects will or will not need combo in order to trigger.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

6 hours ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

5 hours ago, (XB1)RPColten said:

Before the current iteration of melee usage, the melee weapon existed with two access methods: Quick Melee, which was just hitting your melee key when you have your primary/secondary equipped to do non-combo based quick attacks (typically the initial 2-3 swings in the weapons standard stance combo) without fully equipping your melee weapon. You'd automatically go back to your primary/secondary if you stop swinging. The other form was to equip your melee weapon proper by holding your weapons swap key. For example on the xbox console it would be to hold the Y button, this would draw out your melee weapon fully and lock you into your melee weapon until you put it away manually (Holding your weapon swap key again). Blocking with melee was done by holding (pressing if it's set to toggle-block) your aim key.

Actually I'm referring to melee 1.0 which predates the existence of combos and stance mods.

In 1.0 there was only quick melee but we still had access to charge attacks, which were actually good and had numerous mods for them, and always had access to blocking. The constant access to blocking was great because it allowed us to react to Ancient/Scorpion hooks, Gunner/Bombard knockdowns, and Shield Lancer bashes by initiating a blobk just in time to prevent their CC.

This was also during the time stamina was still a thing which made blocking something you had limited access to as it would drain stamina and you couldn't use it without any.

I love channeling because of: 

Life Strike, Dispatch Overdrive, and Edo Prime armor set effects...

I hope that DE doesn't break my gamestyle and fashionframe because of removing channeling. 

I always loved channeling, and I've been hoping since 5 years ago for them to go deeper into that good mechanic... but hell, dreams will always be teared apart. 

Edited by BLI7Z