Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe and old PC

Melanholic7

Question

Hi guys. Have a friend, who wants to play warframe but he is saying that warframe lags awfuly on his PC,unplayeable by any means. I mean, WF minimal requirements are Geforce 8600 and he is having Geforce 9600 which is better,so WF should be playable on his PC on minimal settings? his other spec are
Amd phenom II x2 555 3.20ghz  6gb RAM

I mean, for my point of view - WF is very well optimized and light game, so i dunno whats the problem 😞

he can play games like Dragon Age 3: Inquisition which is (i think) more heavy, but cant warframe?  Maybe we are missing something?

17 answers to this question

I would recommend checking graphics drivers and OS updates. I run Warframe on a 5 year old laptop that has a i5, Nvidia GT740M and 6 GB RAM. Admittedly thats a slightly better spec than your friend's, but I can run it on almost max graphics with over 60fps. So I'm sure your friend's machine can run it on medium graphics easily. Its an extremely well optimized game. Just ask him to make sure that there are not other heavy apps running in the background like recording softwares or such or if there is no other conflict on his computer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

Hi guys. Have a friend, who wants to play warframe but he is saying that warframe lags awfuly on his PC,unplayeable by any means. I mean, WF minimal requirements are Geforce 8600 and he is having Geforce 9600 which is better,so WF should be playable on his PC on minimal settings? his other spec are
Amd phenom II x2 555 3.20ghz  6gb RAM

I mean, for my point of view - WF is very well optimized and light game, so i dunno whats the problem 😞

he can play games like Dragon Age 3: Inquisition which is (i think) more heavy, but cant warframe?  Maybe we are missing something?

Orb Vallis will melt his computer. So nope.

18 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

ios 7

... Running through Wine, eh? Than that's perfectly normal... Its probably running through llvmpipe, and there are no rendering shortcuts like the ones Microsoft "allegedly" implemented on their DirectX debacle.

... And don't bother putting the DXVK module on his computer, because if his hardware doesn't support it, it will not run.

2 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

so,minimal spec requirements misguide people?:(

Meeting minimum requirements means that you can run the game. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will run well enough so that it could be considered playable by most people.

18 минут назад, Uhkretor сказал:

... Running through Wine, eh? Than that's perfectly normal... Its probably running through llvmpipe, and there are no rendering shortcuts like the ones Microsoft "allegedly" implemented on their DirectX debacle.

... And don't bother putting the DXVK module on his computer, because if his hardware doesn't support it, it will not run.

sure OS windows 7, not ios 😄 

If its WIn7 he's running, then Win7 is artificially slowing his computer down. Obviously, because any Win OS is technically inferior than any alternatives, Warframe will never run at decent fps (30 minimum).

Also...

49 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

ios 7

your words a while ago, I believe.

... Considering that I have a computer with similar hardware capabilities (but running a Vulkan 1.1 graphics card on it), Warframe runs at an astounding 450 fps, on Linux... I don't know, maybe you should explore an alternative non-proprietary OS for your friend's computer.

You should be able to update Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free (I think Microsoft still has that available, but you'll have to look around a little for it. I promise it's completely legal, as my dad is often updating laptops from Windows 7 to Windows 10. On top of that, I can make a couple of suggestions to settings in Warframe. First off, lower the quality of all the graphics settings to minimum (unless the game has already done that), then put a framecap on at 30 FPS. If the game runs smoothly, raise the framecap. It is entirely possible, albeit very unlikely, that your friend is experiencing a similar problem to me. I have to put a max framecap on at 72 Hz because my game runs at a minimum of 114 Hz usually, but there are massive frame count jumps (as in "114 to 207 to 173", etc.), which causes it to appear to lag.I have a couple of friends who play WF on terrible laptops, and I've helped them get to the point to where they could play the game passably.

On 2019-10-19 at 11:51 AM, Melanholic7 said:

WF minimal requirements are Geforce 8600 and he is having Geforce 9600 which is better

It can run, but not run well. Graphics with less then 2 GB of video memory is very slow for Warframe, due to the use of shared GPU memory that stores graphics data to system memory, slowing down the graphics card.

Warframe is GPU memory hungry, taking up to 2GB of texture memory on some missions. But, 2 GB of dedicated texture memory, that NVidia GT 1030 have, is still maybe not enough for Orb Vallis, although works fine everywhere else. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1026281-terrible-frame-rate/

since this system is running a 2 Core, 2 Thread Processor - having more Terrain loaded and more Terrain in view, will hit performance significantly. so the two Landscape regions are probably borderline unplayable on that system, i wager.
in other Missions, this sort of system could manage playable performance but yes, it's just always going to be not great. your friend should go to the Networking Settings and set themselves to 'Laptop' in the Computer type so that they are selected as Host as infrequently as possible. Clients have an easier time Performance wise, and this system needs to take what benefits that it can.

to combat this, your friend should have Terrain/Geometry detail at the lowest possible setting.

- - - - - 

6GByte of Memory is technically sufficient for Warframe + Windows, but, does your friend have other stuff open in the background? for a system with less tan 8GByte i strongly recommend not having unnecessary background Applications open. your friend simply does not have the extra Memory to have backgroud software open, he needs every MByte he can get

- - - - - 

the GPU is low end ofcourse, but the Memory capacity of it will be a major concern. if it's a model with <1GByte of vRAM, then... your friend is just out of luck frankly. if it is a 1GByte model, then keep Textures pretty low, don't use Anti-Aliasing, Et Cetera. gotta keep that Memory usage low. after that you'll be left with the 'eh' performance that you'll get from a 9600GT thesedays.

- - - - - 

if your friend is in the SoL situation of having <8GByte of RAM, and a GPU with <1GByte of vRAM, performance is always going to struggle.

• all unnecessary Applications NEED to be closed
    • like, really i'm serious - don't use Steam, don't use Discord or Skype or anything else like that, don't leave a Web Browser open. if you want some sort of external communication Software, use something lightweight like Teamspeak. don't have any sort of Recording Software ready and waiting ever.
    • if you want to get more extreme there are some options for background processes that can get more aggressive and yank unused Memory out of the hands of Applications. this is something you would use before starting the game, and it won't automatically do anything while you're playing the game.
      • note that this means more stuff is held in Disk, so the responsiveness of the system outside of the game will suffer a bit temporarily as every Application that goes to do something, will almost always need to load it from Disk again.
  • turn on Dynamic Resolution to Auto try and help compensate for the limitations of the GPU
  • play in Exclusive Fullscreen to try and save some extra system resources. the Windows Desktop does actually use a moderate amount of Resources so on low end systems, Exclusive Fullscreen can at times offer a notable performance benefit.
On 2019-10-19 at 1:32 PM, Melanholic7 said:

so,minimal spec requirements misguide people?:(

technically no. it's just talking about a system that has nothing else running on it at all, using Dynamic Resolution, playing on Low, playing in Exclusive Fullscreen, and playing a normal Mission on the Solar Map (like some non-Capture, non-Survival, non-Disruption, Et Cetera Mission. tl;dr a basic, small Mission). also probably not playing as Host, and with all Players staying near each other.

On 2019-10-19 at 1:07 PM, Arkennstar said:

I run Warframe on a 5 year old laptop that has a i5, Nvidia GT740M and 6 GB RAM. Admittedly thats a slightly better spec than your friend's

actually that's far more than slightly better. the Notebook you're talking about... if we use broad terms, the Processor is roughly 2-3x as useful, and the GPU is roughly 4x as useful.
and this doesn't even consider that the vRAM that almost every 9600GT would be dealing with, is 1/4 of what a 740M would have available to it.
it's much, much better.

Edited by taiiat

1 час назад, sam686 сказал:

It can run, but not run well. Graphics with less then 2 GB of video memory is very slow for Warframe, due to the use of shared GPU memory that stores graphics data to system memory, slowing down the graphics card.

Warframe is GPU memory hungry, taking up to 2GB of texture memory on some missions. But, 2 GB of dedicated texture memory, that NVidia GT 1030 have, is still maybe not enough for Orb Vallis, although works fine everywhere else. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1026281-terrible-frame-rate/

well, so they HAVE TO change minimal specs they are telling. Cause geforce 8600 has...256 mb video memory 😄 which is super bad, yeah. Im sure game wont handle any mission on 8600 card, dunno why DE mentioned it in minimal requirements

2 минуты назад, taiiat сказал:

since this system is running a 2 Core, 2 Thread Processor - having more Terrain loaded and more Terrain in view, will hit performance significantly. so the two Landscape regions are probably borderline unplayable on that system, i wager.
in other Missions, this sort of system could manage playable performance but yes, it's just always going to be not great. your friend should go to the Networking Settings and set themselves to 'Laptop' in the Computer type so that they are selected as Host as infrequently as possible. Clients have an easier time Performance wise, and this system needs to take what benefits that it can.

to combat this, your friend should have Terrain/Geometry detail at the lowest possible setting.

- - - - - 

6GByte of Memory is technically sufficient for Warframe + Windows, but, does your friend have other stuff open in the background? for a system with less tan 8GByte i strongly recommend not having unnecessary background Applications open. your friend simply does not have the extra Memory to have backgroud software open, he needs every MByte he can get

- - - - - 

the GPU is low end ofcourse, but the Memory capacity of it will be a major concern. if it's a model with <1GByte of vRAM, then... your friend is just out of luck frankly. if it is a 1GByte model, then keep Textures pretty low, don't use Anti-Aliasing, Et Cetera. gotta keep that Memory usage low. after that you'll be left with the 'eh' performance that you'll get from a 9600GT thesedays.

if your friend is in the SoL situation of having <8GByte of RAM, and a GPU with <1GByte of vRAM, performance is always going to struggle.

• all unnecessary Applications NEED to be closed
    • like, really i'm serious - don't use Steam, don't use Discord or Skype or anything else like that, don't leave a Web Browser open. if you want some sort of external communication Software, use something lightweight like Teamspeak. don't have any sort of Recording Software ready and waiting ever.
    • if you want to get more extreme there are some options for background processes that can get more aggressive and yank unused Memory out of the hands of Applications. this is something you would use before starting the game, and it won't automatically do anything while you're playing the game.
      • note that this means more stuff is held in Disk, so the responsiveness of the system outside of the game will suffer a bit temporarily as every Application that goes to do something, will almost always need to load it from Disk again.
  • turn on Dynamic Resolution to Auto try and help compensate for the limitations of the GPU
  • play in Exclusive Fullscreen to try and save some extra system resources. the Windows Desktop does actually use a moderate amount of Resources so on low end systems, Exclusive Fullscreen can at times offer a notable performance benefit.

technically no. it's just talking about a system that has nothing else running on it at all, using Dynamic Resolution, playing on Low, playing in Exclusive Fullscreen, and playing a normal Mission on the Solar Map (like some non-Capture, non-Survival, non-Disruption, Et Cetera Mission. tl;dr a basic, small Mission). also probably not playing as Host, and with all Players staying near each other.

Well, his GPu has 512 memory only 😞 

well, i mean, minimal requirements GPU has 256 memory 😄 im 100% sure it wont handle any WF mission. So this specs are really misleading (dunno why tho). 

well, i think there is no way he can play game with this GPU. fair. 

12 minutes ago, Melanholic7 said:

well, i think there is no way he can play game with this GPU. fair. 

i'd certainly like the official Minspec to be raised, as while it's accurate that you can get Warframe to run on the official Minspec at playable performance, i think the situations that are in mind are more technical than most Players are up to.
and so should be raised to account for that. with that being that Players will have extra fluff Software running in the background, they won't play in Exclusive Fullscreen, they may or may not use Dynamic Resolution, Et Cetera.

if your friend is already doing most of the things i've suggested, the aggressive Memory saving tool i referenced could be tried, if your friend does really want to play the game.
i don't like most of the Software that this Company makes(it's sketchy and shouldn't be trusted), but, this particular Tool that they have is actually pretty good because it's simple and doesn't have extra garbage.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0yx94417tzgckz/smartRAM.zip?dl=0
if you're unsure, what it in this Archive is just the Application and the Resource files it pulls for drawing the way that the Application looks.

here's what it looks like.
ZiGaHyR.png
you'd just have your friend run the normal "smart" clean once before starting Warframe.

Edited by taiiat

4 hours ago, taiiat said:

Actually that's far more than slightly better. the Notebook you're talking about... if we use broad terms, the Processor is roughly 2-3x as useful, and the GPU is roughly 4x as useful.
and this doesn't even consider that the vRAM that almost every 9600GT would be dealing with, is 1/4 of what a 740M would have available to it.
it's much, much better.

Oh the GT9600 has 512m vram not 1GB as I mistakenly thought.. hmm fair enough my bad.. that WOULD be kinda on the low side. It COULD I guess still perform on minimum graphics if they avoid areas like PoE and Orb Vallis maybe. But yeah its starting to look a lil bleak. Even with the 6 GB RAM.

As for the comparison with Dragon Age 3, single player games always perform better than online/multiplayer games, even when they look or are listed as being heavier in graphics. 

• Like 1