Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regular Attack Efficiency: Dual Ether Or Ether Reaper?

Reddington

Question

I was wondering which of these weapons is better suited for regular attacks? They both have very similar attack speeds, but Ether Reaper does a whole 20 damage more than Dual Ethers per swing (Which sounds like a little, but I'd imagine that this gap will widen even further with multiplier mods later down the line). However, Dual Ether does negate armor.

With this in mind, I don't know what this means for either weapons down the line. Ether Reaper does more damage, but Dual Ethers negates armor, which spells out an unknown amount of DPS for me on higher level difficulties.

Any suggestions? Which would be more efficient?

Thanks!

Edited by Reddington

21 answers to this question

Ether reaper more stylish

Haha, yeah, can't argue with you there. Fell in love with the animation almost immediately.

The Dual Ether has more AP damage a swing and is slightly faster.

But really, there are better melee weapons than both of those.

Hmm, any recommendation? I'm trying to go for an Ash regular melee build. No Prime weapons, though. >_<

They deal the same absolute amount of armor ignore damage after the 150% Armor Piercing mods, so just choose whatever weapon with the attack pattern you like.

Oh, is that so? I thought they stacked even further or something.

i am looking to make a melee build, was thinking of using saryn? my first and only dream in this game has been to use melee exclusively are you guys telling me thats not viable on level 60 enemies?

:(

was thinking of using fang or dual ethers/zorens on saryn, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Oh, is that so? I thought they stacked even further or something.

220% modified Base, 150% AP of modified Base with mods

Just on armor ignoring damage type alone

Dual ether (Base 30)= 66 + 99 = 165

Reaper (Base 50) = 1.5 * 110 = 165

Edited by Definitegj

Melee in this game is highly unviable in general. But if you really have to use melee I would go with dual ethers because they are faster and ignore armor.

If you want real efficiency you should use Orthos Prime with reflex coil, killing blow and rending strike as Loki.

^ thats the most efficient

i am looking to make a melee build, was thinking of using saryn? my first and only dream in this game has been to use melee exclusively are you guys telling me thats not viable on level 60 enemies?

was thinking of using fang or dual ethers/zorens on saryn, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Saryn is not quite mobile enough for a melee build. I suggest Ash, Loki or Excalibur

220% modified Base, 150% AP of modified Base with mods

Just on armor ignoring damage type alone

Dual ether (Base 30)= 66 + 99 = 165

Reaper (Base 50) = 1.5 * 110 = 165

In that case the Reaper is best. With Rending Strike and other elemental mods the reaper would do better dmg

^ thats the most efficient

Saryn is not quite mobile enough for a melee build. I suggest Ash, Loki or Excalibur

In that case the Reaper is best. With Rending Strike and other elemental mods the reaper would do better dmg

Also, you're neglecting the fact that the ethers will swing 2-3+ times for every reaper swing.

That being said; if you want to go straight melee style I do believe the current best is the Ichors or possibly the fangs.

Between the two options you mentioned I would hands down suggest the Ethers; they are still the best overall melee IMHO.

Also, you're neglecting the fact that the ethers will swing 2-3+ times for every reaper swing.

That being said; if you want to go straight melee style I do believe the current best is the Ichors or possibly the fangs.

Between the two options you mentioned I would hands down suggest the Ethers; they are still the best overall melee IMHO.

Hmm, now I'm curious. How are the Fangs? I do hope you're not talking about Fang Prime, since that will be an absolute pain.

If it's flashy and effective, I'd be more than open to trying it out. :D

Ignore the guy's who say Meele is not viable. Most of the guy's saying it isn't have tried one thing, charging weapons on all enemies while standing still, or with Squishy Warframes like Nova with no mods. I only have 3 frames, all are melee builds. Differn't weapons work with differn't builds though.

Orthos / Orthos Prime (can be build for normal or charged attacks, great range)

Gram (can be build for both charge and normal, though it doesn't stagger so best used with Rhino)

Duel Ethers (Build for normal attack and take advantage of its slide damage, the stagger / speed / multiple enemy hitting / Ignore Armor makes it amazing.)

Fragor (charge attack only)

Duel Ichors/Zorans (normal attack crit build, freaking amazing with berserk mod / fury)

Scindo (charge only)

Glaive (with power throw and whirlwind and ash with streamline it becomes absurdly powerful. Slide attack for melee hits)

Never use a single target weapon if your a melee build. Stagger is also almost essential unless your Rhino. Frame speed is over rated, learn to front flip and slam, wall run, and slide attack for movement. Stam regen or Stam Max (usually both) are essential for melee as your movement is what keeps you alive when enemys get to be 100+. Also use block and cover. Finally you absolutely must use an ice mod, The slow not only snares, it slows there attack speed.

As far as frames go, i only found 4 i like to use melee with (don't have Sayrn yet, but she looks promising)

Ash: get a charge damage build, streamline and smoke bomb + charge strike your way to victory

Rhino: Get Vanguard helmet. Probly the best bet for pure melee. Streamline + focus makes him invinceable)

Ember: Perhaps the most underated warframe in the game. Overheat was made for melee. Best with a good jump attack slam weapon like gram combo into normal attacks, or use a fast stagger weapon like Dual Ethers. Great when combined with Torid w/ice mod. Play her like a warrior-mage.

Anyways, my favorites are Dual Ethers by far, Orthos, Gram and Twin Zorans

Ichors are the best normal attack spam, Dual Ethers are the best overall normal attack with highest slide attack (which you will love when you are fighting 120 ancients), Reaper Prime is nice, but doesn't really hold a candle to orthos prime, D. Ethers, D. Zoran/ichors in high level play. I'd just go for Orthos Prime at that point. Your trading a jump attack knockdown for ALOT of dps.

The dual ethers will only swing 1 more time than the ether every 7-8 swings. (dethers 1.25 hps ereaper 1.2 hps) The slightly slower swing speed of the ereaper is made up for by the bigger bonus from elemental mods. 

I love the dethers but fact remains that the reaper is just a bit better being a heavy.

That said the orthos prime would be the best choice for a full melee build. No other weapon has the range required to kill a toxic ancient without getting poisoned to death at higher levels

A few tips often missed;

Fang Prime is best DPS against med grineer, as there base damage is AP, not AI and thus has a 1.5x multiplier on the base damage (not applied to elements). Fang (Prime) has no stagger tho, so enemies can hit (and sometimes knock) you back.

Because the AP element % is so high, non AI melee weapons work effectively. Ether Daggers are a viable alternative to the Dual Ethers, actually doing far MORE DPS but with a shorter range.

I havent had a chance to try out the Dual Ichors yet, but I've heard they're quite good, with a crit build that actually ignores armor (basically zorens that arent suffering from armorscaling). I think they probably outclass the Ether Daggers for the top spot in non-charged melee DPS.

Furax is top charged DPS, but is single target. Good for bosses/heavies if you want to save ammo.

Orthos Prime has the largest swing range, but isnt full circle. Fragor/Scindo is the next largest that is full circle.

Reg DPS= Dual Ichor ?>= Ether Daggers = Fang Prime (Grineer) > Dual Ethers > everything else

Charged DPS = Furax (single target) > Orthos (Prime) > Gram=Dual Zorens* > Fragor=Scindo=DHS=Most Longswords

*Zorens have high DPS but low DPH, requires good timing to use properly;

Charge attacks can be released before the auto-release and still complete when using +charge speed mods. Timing this properly will maximize charge DPS.

A few tips often missed;

Fang Prime is best DPS against med grineer, as there base damage is AP, not AI and thus has a 1.5x multiplier on the base damage (not applied to elements). Fang (Prime) has no stagger tho, so enemies can hit (and sometimes knock) you back.

Because the AP element % is so high, non AI melee weapons work effectively. Ether Daggers are a viable alternative to the Dual Ethers, actually doing far MORE DPS but with a shorter range.

I havent had a chance to try out the Dual Ichors yet, but I've heard they're quite good, with a crit build that actually ignores armor (basically zorens that arent suffering from armorscaling). I think they probably outclass the Ether Daggers for the top spot in non-charged melee DPS.

Furax is top charged DPS, but is single target. Good for bosses/heavies if you want to save ammo.

Orthos Prime has the largest swing range, but isnt full circle. Fragor/Scindo is the next largest that is full circle.

Reg DPS= Dual Ichor ?>= Ether Daggers = Fang Prime (Grineer) > Dual Ethers > everything else

Charged DPS = Furax (single target) > Orthos (Prime) > Gram=Dual Zorens* > Fragor=Scindo=DHS=Most Longswords

*Zorens have high DPS but low DPH, requires good timing to use properly;

Charge attacks can be released before the auto-release and still complete when using +charge speed mods. Timing this properly will maximize charge DPS.

Wow, thanks for all the info!

Hm, yeah, Dual Ichor and Fang Prime seem out of my range for the time being. From what you've told me, Ether Daggers do sound nice, but it seems people on the wiki seem to prefer the Dual Ether over it due to Serrated Blade. Is it outclassed?

I've found the Ether Daggers to be better DPS than the Dual Ethers, but only after you have both +ap mods installed, plus fury and PP - a minimum level of 17 with a potato, impossible to reach without.

If you dont plan to use a catalyst, the Dual Ethers are better.