SPplayer76

What are people's thoughts on the leveling process?

If something needs leveling, a lot of the time it means going to a defense, survival, SO, or ESO. I want to examine the current state of leveling and see what people think about it.

A weapon takes 450k affinity to max out, that is quite a lot. However we have a handful of methods to power through it quickly, sometimes maxing out a weapon in minutes. What is the leveling process like without using these methods though? Going through the starchart it is quite common for missions to only give a few thousand affinity to your loadout, making a lot of missions rather poor choices for ranking up weapons. The disparity between just going through the starchart versus running Hydron, Survival, or SO/ESO is colossal, this isn't something that is innately bad but it does seem like it's at odds with the MR system. MR is definitely a long term goal that takes a bit to get through, but the huge difference in leveling speed really seems to make it feel like you are either doing something, or leveling stuff, usually never both. This can lead to it feeling like there is this big wall of affinity grind that has to be done before you can move on. It's rather strange, ranking up weapons is either trivialized in a few minutes because of the current strategies, or it takes forever without them.

What do you guys think of the harsh difference? Is it totally fine to have these few, "leveling" missions, and then everything else?

• Upvote 1

I've never really went out of my way to power level anything.  I have every frame and weapon with multiple forma.

I just have fun playing whatever and however I want but always have at least one piece of gear leveling at all times. 

I dont think the leveling process is that bad imo.

Edited by (PS4)Cephalon_Snow
  • Like 4
  • Woah 2
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

Affinity is as much of a resource as any other. ESO/SO works as affinity farm spot just like Index is a place to get credits etc.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)Cephalon_Snow said:

I've never really went out of my way to power level anything.  I have every frame and weapon with multiple forma.

I just have fun playing whatever and however I want but always have at least one piece of gear leveling at all times. 

I dont think the leveling process is that bad imo.

how do you feel about the gap between power leveling and not? It's quite huge.

I level things the same way in every game; I do stuff that is fun for me even if it means spending hours instead of 30 minutes. In Warframe I also try to combine ranking up weapons and frames in places that drop resources I need. I don't care about the gap between what I do and what would be the optimal way of ranking up, if others want to do it fast while being bored just let them 😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i wish formas didn't fully reset levels or reset at all. i feel like it discourages messing around with builds just because of the total time it takes to min-max and re forma a build.

maybe giving weapons/frames a slight exp bonus for ever forma so the original 0-30 is the same. but the more you experiment with a frame/weapon the less time it takes to apply new forma.

• Like 6

I play on Saturn for normal leveling. Power leveling is overrated

• Like 2

SO/ESO is a double edged sword.

Some players do not have the time to casual grind enough
to get where they'd like to get to. For them, it is great.
Some players, when assessing what fun options there are
for leveling, will see the tremendous disparity and think,
"Well, the comfortable middle doesn't exist,
clearly we're only supposed to level in SO/ESO."

While there are varying degrees of leveling speed, the jump
between the Possible scenarios and the Average scenarios,
is massive. The system of leveling has encountered power
creep in part because it was too slow and tedious for many
players. If the need and desire did not exist, the practice
would not exist.

If all of the frames and weapons were serviceable and
proficient for SO/ESO, there would be less of a stark or
(arguably) exploitative meta built up. Seeing as many weapons
are no fun or of no function at Any level currently, that too,
drives the power grind.

Let's put it this way, if anyone could enjoy any frame or weapon
enough to play it so long they don't mind leveling it, we would
see the options for exploit less utilized. If other missions were
capable of giving the amount of enemies or affinity needed to
get through the ones we don't like, we'd see less necessity for
SO metas.

Some people will always want to find the exploits, and that's fine..
but enough people are using it out of what they'd consider
necessity, that the root problem is somewhere deeper.

Hopefully Melee changes and re-balance makes weapons more
fun to use overall, and so less people feel the need to rank and
discard as rapidly as possible.

Also... weapon/frame slots are monetized. People often must
commit to discarding weapons before they're built for this reason.
...need those slots for things they Know they'll care about.
If the weapon is just going in the garbage anyway, no sense in
getting attached (in some cases.)

While not a perfect situation, no sane man would touch ESO with a flaming * stick for the absurd drop rates of weapons and ephemera if the affinity farm was equalized.

As some said in here... The game is based in grind and farming xp is no more or less than farming resources. Thanks DE that Hydron/ESO etc exists. Otherwise, even thou I play for fun and like to change weapons and test quite a lot of builds and rivens, it would be a pain to level up the same weapon multiple times without some way to make it faster. Warframe already has more than 400 weapons and some people like to spend more than 8 formas in a bunch of them to try different builds. If there's something that I would change, it would be how forma's work.

You use 1 forma? Weapon resets to 0. You use 2 formas? Weapon resets to 15. 3 formas? Reset to 20... Until the point that'll always reset to 30 and all other formas spent in this same weapon would not make you go through all the leveling again. Honestly, its fair point and tells you that you completely mastered the weapon as well. Otherwise, everything's alright the way it is imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SPplayer76 said:

This can lead to it feeling like there is this big wall of affinity grind that has to be done before you can move on.

That is completely on purpose, in order to motivate people to buy affinity boosters. WF is a f2p game, such is the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

I enjoy the avenues for power leveling. I run a few ESOs for weapons to try a full build out, and I do Adaro for Warframes. I don't find it too tedious or annoying.

I'm MR26, so I get hardly anything out of acually leveling.

I can just use the weapon at almost full strength and at some point I can slap a Forma at it.

I feel like spy's are never mentioned when it comes to leveling, I think it's a great way to level when solo. 

If you bring just 1 weapon and an affinity booster, just 4 quick runs of either Neptune, Pluto or Sedna spy will max out your weapon. Or 2-3 runs if leveling a melee with Naramon's Affinity Spike node active, as it effects the affinity you gain from hacking the data caches too. 

For me this takes around 1:30 - 2:00 a run. I know some may not be able to have their runs this short, but even around 2:30 - 3:00 a run, I'd say this is still a viable method, especially when you don't have a squad on to help you out. Plus you don't have to worry about those Hydron runs that too many squads disband on Wave 5.

Edited by (XB1)l Saminator l
  • Like 1

In my opinion the process of leveling is terrible for early game as such for beginners, as you will have an eternity to level up your braton or whatever youve choosen. But beginner friendliness is a known issue so whatever.
I guess in midgame it was more interesting or ok in my opinion but in endgame its just getting cumbersome. Especially if you want to optimize a weapon or frame, spending several formas. If you just play the game and level up the weapon in the process you need so much time, that in the end its just way more worth it to power level it, instead of playing with an occupied weapon slot or underdog frame. I'm sure there are some endgame avocados, that might like it and they can all give some great example how they are having fun on their 1-2 hour experience of leveling one of the hundreds of weapons. Kind of reminds me of the story with fetch and universal vacuum, where you got players tell you that they are not using goofy vacuum because of tactics.

There are just a few methods to power level your stuff quickly and the more often you do them the more you realize things you think could be improved upon. But honestly,  it really does not matter whatever you post. I really cannot remember anything of any significance to be changed based on feedback of the forum; if there was not a tantrum on Reddit at the same time atleast.

I can see why many new players quit,as the game can get a bit rough for them when they reach Ceres and Jupiter,as they need to know how to mod their weapons for the respective factions to be able to effectively kill them,and the first good affinity farm is at  helene,Saturn,which is after Jupiter,so new players will have to go through pretty tough enemies for what little mods and weapons they have,and having to level them the hard way too...also they prob wont have a good plat farm yet to be able to buy potatoes for their frames and weapons

But if you are a new player that manage to reach Helene,well good job,you should be able to progress well throughout the game from there with a good affinity farming option to max your stuff quickly,and maybe even put a few formas on your weapon and/or frame.

I used to lvl gear in dark sectors, particularly seimini on Ceres, because of the xp buff they give.  Gabbi is also very good.

But tbh, I never saw power levelling as a problem.  Most early weapons aren't worth investing in anyway.  Plus, given the cost in endo to max out most mods space shouldn't be a problem for the first several mr ranks, just put on a potato and you'll be able to fit on a decent build.  It's only once your mods are maxed you really need to forma.

I hate XP Leeching as a concept (at least in its current state), 

Getting affinity for just standing while other players do the actually killing, feels counter to the purpose of experience acquisition. 

Personally I feel affinity for weapons should be gained when you actually use that weapon. 

Then again I am at a state in the game where Levelling a weapon is not all that essential (MR 27 so mod space is plenty) so my viewpoint may be biased and not a good reference. 

I dunno, between smeeta existing and affinity boosters from logins/sorties, I don't have an issue spamming spy missions to squeeze the mastery out of most gear I dont want to use. Sure, I would like to level them efficiently in different ways, but stealth in this game has been and will always be neglected. Unless its a companion I dont play in groups to level stuff.

Disruption on Sedna, two missions, 3 sets of keys, my Valkyr Prime just went from 0-Max. Took about 30 minutes.

I generally now only level one or two things at a time. Run once on an easy planet then step up to Saturn or Neptune to kind of power level it quicker. Or repeat missions that have the component drops I want.

If you are new chances are players won't have access to the power leveling maps.  Which sucks.  But if you are newer chances are you don't need to power level.

My ps4 account has just about everything. When i am leveling something i run hydron. Its very effective.

They could definitely improve the experience to encourage people to just level things naturally however in doing so the current leveling meta won't change an ultimately people will still gravitate to the more efficient methods for getting the job done regardless. 

So even if they change things I don't think it would change much. 

I'm mr14 and had to take a break from just leveling weapons and frames. MR is basically for equipping rivens and getting trade slots and standing. Which I don't need as bad now.

What I'm doing now is focus farming cause I want my operator/Frame synergy to be better. I also just happen to like eidolons and they just happen to give me everything I need at the moment: easy focus farm, caps, and arcanes. I think I'm at 300 or 400 hrs I'm not sure, it's all been a blur lol.

Depend on weapons, if it's fun to use i don't mind but if it's trash then i just do T4 spy over and over again so i can quickly throw it away. Archwing melee though is neither fun nor can be leveled up quickly so.....the leveling process is awful