Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"small" Jackal Rework

Saavedro

The Jackal was an awesome experience when I first started playing, and really was the only "true" boss in the game for a long time. But now that I'm experienced, I've realize that the Jackal is a very annoying fight. Even more so now that I have access to powerful weapons.

Shoot once, he falls. Shoot once, he gets up, Shoot, down, shoot, up. Down, up, etc, etc.

This boss is especially bad when he gets thrown in an alert and gets ranked up to a high level. The fight becomes a 10+ minute snore fest.

So I thought, what if he had segmented health?

gkvNGtk.jpg

Get him to the ground, then you have [X] amount of seconds to take out 20% of his health, MAX. Adjust his health pool (based on the combined conclave points of the party?) then this could be a decent challenge of seeing if the party has enough strength take him out in only 5 downs.

The segmented health could also be used to set phases. Maybe three health bars left he launches a few air missile attacks. One bar left and he spams his powerful grenade attack while stomping. I don't know, just spit balling here, heh.

But yeah, something like this could help the Jackal feel more like a boss instead of just an annoying fight. Something an organized group could kill and move on some-what quickly.

Thanks for reading my rambles

-Saav

Like every other veteran, you are forgetting that this is THE SECOND BOSS!!! It is already difficult for new players who don't know its mechanics, even if they are simple, and yes of course it's going to be easy for advanced players with strong weapons. Jackal serves its purpose. Once you pass a boss, going back to it should never be as difficult as it was, even if it does become boring.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

I know he's the second boss. But with these changes I feel like this could be a much better fight for new players and veterans.

Make a brand new account, spend no platinum, and go try to fight him. Solo. When I was a new player (and as was my friend), the low level mod drops were better than they are now. Teaming up, me as Volt and him as Excal, it took us half an hour with multiple revives to beat Jackal. And you are proposing to make the fight harder, when the early game has already become more brutal to newbies?

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

Like every other veteran, you are forgetting that this is THE SECOND BOSS!!! It is already difficult for new players who don't know its mechanics, even if they are simple, and yes of course it's going to be easy for advanced players with strong weapons. Jackal serves its purpose. Once you pass a boss, going back to it should never be as difficult as it was, even if it does become boring.

well, the jackal is actually a very horrible experience for players. it shoots those rockets that are so damn hard to dodge that instantly kill you. not fun

Make a brand new account, spend no platinum, and go try to fight him. Solo. When I was a new player (and as was my friend), the low level mod drops were better than they are now. Teaming up, me as Volt and him as Excal, it took us half an hour with multiple revives to beat Jackal. And you are proposing to make the fight harder, when the early game has already become more brutal to newbies?

Sigh. You're part of the reason I hesitate to make suggestion threads on these forums because people like you completely miss the main point and go off on a tangent. It's not about making the boss fight harder per say, because we all had a hard time fighting him when we were new and didn't know what to do. This is about making the boss fight more enjoyable (for new and vet players).

[X] amount of seconds to take out a significant (but capped) chunk of his health.

A lot better than, as Zeyez said, seeing Jackal do 100 squats. It's annoying taking out maybe 3% of his health at a time whether you're a new player or old. Whether the Jackal is level 14 or 60+.

Every thing else I mentioned was just spit balling off the segmented health idea.