Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Critique My Soma Build?

Perky

Question

So I've been out for a bit, come back and enjoy using the soma, I've seen a bunch of different builds, but none mention the use of shred.  So here's my build, I'd like to know if you guys think a mod should replace shred or not :)

So I've already put one forma in to add a v polarity, and I wanted to add another forma to get the build that I thought might be solid, if you agree with it, which polarity should I add?

EDIT: All skills are maxed, point value reflects polarity slot taken into effect

Ammo drum (Maxed) - 7 points

Split Chamber (Maxed) - 8 points (in v polarity)

Serration (Maxed) - 7 points (in v polarity)

Hammer Shot (Maxed) - 9 points

Vital Sense (Maxed) - 9 points

(Either add another v polarity, or a - polarity)

Point Strike (Maxed) - 9 points

Piercing Hit (Maxed) - 5 points (Assuming - polarity)

Shred (Maxed) - 6 Points (in v polarity)

Total points used - 60

Thanks for your input guys!

Edited by Perky

Remove Ammo drum, replace with Ammo Mutagen. Or use ammo boxes and put a level 7 elemental.

Unfortunately, ammo mutagen isn't available to me.  I was burned out from the game during the event.  So you recommend an elemental?  Which one?

Unfortunately, ammo mutagen isn't available to me.  I was burned out from the game during the event.  So you recommend an elemental?  Which one?

Make a level 7 StormBringer and a level 7 Hellfire. Switch depending on which faction you are fighting. If you do Void corrupted use Cryo Rounds they do x2 on shields and slow them down.

So I've been out for a bit, come back and enjoy using the soma, I've seen a bunch of different builds, but none mention the use of shred.  So here's my build, I'd like to know if you guys think a mod should replace shred or not :)

So I've already put one forma in to add a v polarity, and I wanted to add another forma to get the build that I thought might be solid, if you agree with it, which polarity should I add?

EDIT: All skills are maxed, point value reflects polarity slot taken into effect

Ammo drum - 7 points

Split Chamber - 8 points (in v polarity)

Serration - 7 points (in v polarity)

Hammer Shot - 9 points

Vital Sense - 9 points

(Either add another v polarity, or a - polarity)

Point Strike - 9 points

Piercing Hit - 5 points (Assuming - polarity)

Shred - 6 Points (in v polarity)

Total points used - 60

Thanks for your input guys!

remove shred and ammo drum, max all armor piercing mods, crit mods and serration and multishot. only use ammo mutation mod if going on defences

remove shred and ammo drum, max all armor piercing mods, crit mods and serration and multishot. only use ammo mutation mod if going on defences

Every skill is maxed based on this build's polarity slots, any input on the build?

Shred is something I would never take off most rifles unless I was specifically benchmarking a weapon against a boss.

Puncture was good enough for me to slot Metal Auger before Shred on anything with a few forma, and Shred is that much better.

Anyway, my go to build is the same as the OP's, with one exception: rather than Ammo Drum, I normally use a maxed Bane.

I've tried pretty much everything, and I can't find anything more useful for 99% of situations:

MRwjWiu.jpg

Shred is something I would never take off most rifles unless I was specifically benchmarking a weapon against a boss.

Puncture was good enough for me to slot Metal Auger before Shred on anything with a few forma, and Shred is that much better.

Anyway, my go to build is the same as the OP's, with one exception: rather than Ammo Drum, I normally use a maxed Bane.

I've tried pretty much everything, and I can't find anything more useful for 99% of situations:

MRwjWiu.jpg

You want some ammo with that? Or are you not plainning to shoot with that anyways :P

MRwjWiu.jpg

This build is pretty much ideal. Remember to swap out Bane with whatever you're fighting though. Or you could use Ammo Mutation/Drum. Shred also isn't mandatory, but it is very nice.

Edited by BadAimbot

For me it's crit build + 1 elemental (cryo rounds). I don't use Ammo Drum. Doesn't give you a real advantage, this weapon is so ammo inefficient. Better use a gear when needed, or Rifle Scavenger if you don't care about not using Riffle Amp.

Swap Piercing Hit for Wildfire when fighting Infested or Corpus. The damage per clip with Wildfire is a MASSIVE boost, when armor is less of a problem.

Wildfire damage boost is even stronger than that of Hammershot(even assuming Point Strike + Vital Sense are on).

Swap Piercing Hit for Wildfire when fighting Infested or Corpus. The damage per clip with Wildfire is a MASSIVE boost, when armor is less of a problem.

Wildfire damage boost is even stronger than that of Hammershot(even assuming Point Strike + Vital Sense are on).

This is awful advice. Armor Piercing is one of the Armor Ignoring damage types, and at high levels, every element (fire, cold, and shock) are heavily resisted/ignored.

Do you even play the game? This advice is horrid.

This is awful advice. Armor Piercing is one of the Armor Ignoring damage types, and at high levels, every element (fire, cold, and shock) are heavily resisted/ignored.

Shooting Ancients in the legs ignores all armor. The other Infested don't have armor, taking 50% less damage from armor piercing. They do, however, take 2x damage from fire. Therefor, armor piercing is pretty worthless as long as you're shooting in the correct spot on Ancients.

Directly from the wiki: "If you shoot a Ancient in the lower leg with fire damage, armor will not be applied because it is an unprotected body part, then the x2 fire MP will be applied"

Looking back over Corpus values, I was wrong about that. I had assumed that since they apparently have less armor values than Grineer of equal level, that armor piercing damage would be worse than Wildfire as long as you shoot them in the head. That's wrong, since they take 2x damage from armor piercing damage to their heads.

Edited by Grascen

This build is pretty much ideal. Remember to swap out Bane with whatever you're fighting though.

A is Grineer, B is Corpus, and C is Infested.

Shooting Ancients in the legs ignores all armor. The other Infested don't have armor, taking 50% less damage from armor piercing. They do, however, take 2x damage from fire. Therefor, armor piercing is pretty worthless as long as you're shooting in the correct spot on Ancients.

Not always easy to hit the leg on an ancient that is mobile, especially at range. AP damage is still the most reliable way to drop them if you can't CC all of them.

Sometimes I do slot fire for infested, but more often I just keep the bane and AP so I get the most AP damage possible.

You're lacking ice damage for slowing enemies.

Doesn't get slower than dead.

I'd love to slot Cryo Rounds more often, but by the time you need enemies slowed, ice does almost no damage at all.

I have a Deth Machine Rifle in my sentinel with maxed multishot, +90% fire rate, and 1.8m of puncture, along with ice, which CCs just as well.

Do not ever drop shred because it does more effective dps if you hit more than 1 target, and this happens frequently.

I agree. Shred is one of the best overall DPS over time boosters and average TTK reducers you can possibly slot.

Directly from the wiki: "If you shoot a Ancient in the lower leg with fire damage, armor will not be applied because it is an unprotected body part, then the x2 fire MP will be applied"

QFT

Ancients are not that hard to shoot in the feet, esp with a hitscan weapon.

Looking back over Corpus values, I was wrong about that. I had assumed that since they apparently have less armor values than Grineer of equal level, that armor piercing damage would be worse than Wildfire as long as you shoot them in the head. That's wrong, since they take 2x damage from armor piercing damage to their heads.

Yes, but they take the same damage from elec as they do AP, and the Moa's/ospreys take 2x as much damage from elec as ap and have no armor.

And with another forma elec jumps to 90% damage over AP's 60%.

And Elec damage stuns crewmen.

->Elec > AP for Corpus

Also, for Infested, while I'm personally in the 'slot in fire' camp, I can see the benefits of both and its a weak arguement for either side. If you like to kill Ancients by shooting in the feet/knees, +fire is better. If you headshot them or pour ammo into them, +AP is better. Personally I tend to melee ancients as much as possible as I dont use ammo boxes or any ammo mods, and thus prefer the +fire as its more efficient against the lessers by far.

MRwjWiu.jpg

Pretty damn close.  Hmmm, I suppose it doesn't hurt to just pack some ammo in the inventory.  Bonus damage would be nice, I'm working on getting carrier right now just because this thing eats through so much ammo, then I think I'll be more comfortable doing a damage booster like bane.  Thanks for all the input guys, I'm glad to hear some input towards shred, in particular!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13GnTT9sOwG6ne2UPuCGojczwHXsYr1YDtjfNX5qHLcc/edit

Current best build in terms of DPS. 

For having fun/utility, feel free to throw on ammo mods and whatnot. Shred, Ice, and whatever else you want.

Also, ignore Hammer Shot. It's terrible. The increase in crit damage doesn't make up for much. Stun is also lame. Just slap on a maxed Hellfire or something.

I do not pack ammo mods (mostly because the build was based on DPS, not enduring huge missions) because I usually clear missions before I run out of ammo for my primary, and if not, I never run out of secondary weapon ammo. Also have some emergency ammo packs.

You're lacking ice damage for slowing enemies.

In my build, I the ice damage was lacking in damage compared to most, but it's not a HUGE drop in damage.

I do advice ice damage as the slow is useful, but the BIG reason why you would use it is because shields are burned down quickly with ice mods. You know, it's about killing them, not slowing them.

Edited by Xievie