The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Prime, What About Steel Fiber?

Kappa83

Question

Hi guys, just built frost prime. I checked on wiki/forums and I saw lots of people running with Redirection+Vitality, which is sweet for most of the frames.

But then I saw Steel Fiber...and how people find it garbage. Coming from themepark mmos, I used to think that more armor is better, while it seems to not be warframe's case.

I wanted to try dropping Redirection and instead using Steel FIber + VItality.  (actually my frost prime is a level...hmm...2, IIRC....so this is just a mod planning)

Is that viable? Or not? And if not, can you help me understanding why?

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

If you Polarize it enough to fit Health, Shields and Armor mods ,along with the other necessary mods it needs, I think Steel Fiber might be worth having. If you're not going to spend that much time with Frost Prime I don't think you should worry about using it.

By much time, I used 7 forma's on my Ash, since I primarily use him, to optimize mods I wanted on him.

If you have come from other MMOs, then the term "Effective Health Values" should ring a bell...

In almost all cases, the armor gained from Steel Fiber is out done by the Health gained from Vitality + Vigor.

That however, could all change once the Damage-System update comes out, when it comes out.

Hi guys, just built frost prime. I checked on wiki/forums and I saw lots of people running with Redirection+Vitality, which is sweet for most of the frames.

But then I saw Steel Fiber...and how people find it garbage. Coming from themepark mmos, I used to think that more armor is better, while it seems to not be warframe's case.

I wanted to try dropping Redirection and instead using Steel FIber + VItality.  (actually my frost prime is a level...hmm...2, IIRC....so this is just a mod planning)

Is that viable? Or not? And if not, can you help me understanding why?

Thanks in advance

Adding Steel Fiber + Vitality (+ Vigor) is an incredible waste of time and mod capacity, even with the fact the Frost has one of the highest armor ratings at 150. The armor equation, which only applies when HP damage is taken and inefficiently boosts effective HP, is:

Initial damage * [100 / (Armor + 100)] = Final Damage

As a side note, combining this equation with other enemy stats scaling proves why armor scaling is an issue.

Overall, Steel Fiber only increases Frost's effective HP by ~400-450% for 14/7 points.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but higher defence doesn't mean that damage received is reduced not only to health but also to shields? If that is correct, then having all 3 of them (Redirection, Vitality and Steel Fiber) would give to the warframe, in this case Frost Prime, a very resistant Shield and a equaly hard to reduce health. That means, that a Frost Prime can withstand lots of enemies at the same time for as long as his shields can hold, and still have time to hide and regenerate when its health start dropping without suffering too much.

About the combinations, Steel Fiber + Vitality, makes you be very careful on the quantity of damage income to your shields, as health is not easy to recover and the shields will be low; SF + Redirection offers a great shield that regenerates if you can allow yourself a rest, but if you are heavily surrounded that will not be possible, and your health will reach 0 in mere seconds.

You can risk, obviously, depending of your game style, the frame you use... I personally like to have both shields and health high and only be careful on not to receive too much in short time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but higher defence doesn't mean that damage received is reduced not only to health but also to shields? If that is correct, then having all 3 of them (Redirection, Vitality and Steel Fiber) would give to the warframe, in this case Frost Prime, a very resistant Shield and a equaly hard to reduce health. That means, that a Frost Prime can withstand lots of enemies at the same time for as long as his shields can hold, and still have time to hide and regenerate when its health start dropping without suffering too much.

About the combinations, Steel Fiber + Vitality, makes you be very careful on the quantity of damage income to your shields, as health is not easy to recover and the shields will be low; SF + Redirection offers a great shield that regenerates if you can allow yourself a rest, but if you are heavily surrounded that will not be possible, and your health will reach 0 in mere seconds.

You can risk, obviously, depending of your game style, the frame you use... I personally like to have both shields and health high and only be careful on not to receive too much in short time.

Armor is not taken into account for damage on your shields however.

The armor equation, which only applies when HP damage is taken and inefficiently boosts effective HP, is:

Initial damage * [100 / (Armor + 100)] = Final Damage

As a side note, combining this equation with other enemy stats scaling proves why armor scaling is an issue.

Overall, Steel Fiber only increases Frost's effective HP by ~400-450% for 14/7 points.

The key bit of information here is armor only effects health damage taken, and in ideal gameplay you never actually take health damage.

My Frost setup doesnt even use vitality anymore; I let my shields drain once, and make my way back towards my snowglobe after guardian kicks in to recharge. The only health damage I take is in between guardian activations, and thats a small enough amount that the spillover from Vigour usually is enough.

The problem is regaining health is awkward/limited/slow/impossible, so health tanking is difficult, and its simply better to avoid taking health damage at all.

Unless you run with a good trinity, but then you're immune to damage most of the time from blessing >.>

As long as you place it in the slot dedicated to a power (sacrificing a power), you can have all four. Assuming you already have all other mods like Flow and whatever, otherwise you have tons of free space.

The only power REALLY necessary for a Frost is Snow Globe, the rest are situational or depend from your play style.

At least that's what I'm planning to do with it when it rolls out of my Foundry.

As far as health regen, you can get the Rejuvenation aura and regenerate health. Although Energy Syphon (energy regeneration) is probably much more useful.

Ive found having a rejuv aura along on a defense/mdef mission, which is all I ever use Frost for, is very useful.

Everyone takes a little bit of damage before guardian activates, and most players eat that damage in order to get the shield recharge.

And I dont often see anyone else bring along a Rejuv (not even sure what other frame has a D aura?), while almost everyone has a ES. Plus you dont have to forma the aura slot, always a bonus.