Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Farewell, Warframe. It's a shame it had to be this way.

6 years ago I started playing Warframe. Damn, I still remember when there used to be stamina orbs in this game. Good times.

Today, I'm leaving it. Not because I got bored or frustrated with the game itself. If anything, it has evolved so beautifully thanks to the amazing, dedicated and inspired work of the DEvs.

I'm leaving because I can't support the ambiguous censorship decisions that DE condones.

Recently, I've been encountering several cases of unclear censorship decisions in Region chat, and after struggling to get a clear picture, I can no longer stand for this. It seems that Region chat mods have absolute power to decide what is and isn't alright. There are no clear rules they follow, seeing as the ToS of "excessive cussing" and "insults directed to attack a person or a group" are not strictly kept and are up to the mod's discretion. I've seen people kicked and suspended from region chat even for things that weren't insults or personal attacks at other players, e.g. there was a time where saying "primed disappointment" once would get you kicked, even though it doesn't break the ToS. Meanwhile, I see people use standalone cuss words without a problem, as well as discuss clearly mature themes (like Warframes from a sexual perspective) with no consistent or clear action taken. It's like it's up to the mods to decide what we should and shouldn't be offended with, and we have to merely gamble on what's on today's menu of blacklisted words. You can't say anything remotely critical without fearing that you'll be booted for accidentally saying something a mod doesn't like, or dropping a harmless b-word unintended to hurt anyone, while watching others say the f-word or discuss sexual kinks that are clearly not game-friendly with no repercussion. 

This lack of transparency and clarity is both confusing and dangerously oppressive, as it forces you to reevaluate how you want to express yourself as to not accidentally trigger the kickbot, even if it wasn't your intention to offend anyone. Either block all cussing altogether, or allow people the freedom of speech while instructing the active mods to treat words according to their context, to be fair and just to everyone. Rules have to be clear and undiscriminating. From what I've seen, they aren't.

I hate to leave for such a saddening reason, but I can't passively support unjust censorship and unclear, non-transparent rules of what we can and can't say. I can't support moderators who censor people subjectively, as they please. I consider it oppression of the freedom of expression, and it shouldn't be condoned in any amount or any setting. It doesn't matter if it's a game or not, or if the punishment is a temporary kick or a permaban. We're risking getting desensitised towards small-scale injustice, which can accidentally grow into staying silent about bigger crimes as well.

You have the power to avoid that and demand more clarity.

I hope this post doesn't get censored/locked as they often do if you overly criticise the game. Regardless, I will just say one more thing... 

Thank you for the years of fun. Friendships forged and lost, clans joined, built and left; grand, breathtaking changes witnessed and awes gasped in, adventures created and experiences lived and relived and relived countless times until that one prime part dropped. Thank you to the devs for your hard work and the beautiful piece of art that you've created for us.

I've already given most of my stuff away lest it goes to waste. If this community has taught me anything, it's that its generosity is a given. That's the least I can do to give back, as a last hoorah. 

Other than that...

vkWQBPe.png

See you, space ninjas. Take care and stay positive.