Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe NEEDS a Theater Mode

Agilis_Prime

If you're unaware what a Theater mode would be, the game would simply record your mission, and afterwords would allow you to view that mission later in any perspective. For example, you'd have the option to see from what the other players saw in the game, and you'd also have a free roam option to fly around the map however you'd like. You'd also be able to pause at any point of the video.

Just imagine the community possibilities! I'm not sure if any of you were around in the Halo 3 days, but it by far had the best community in any video game I've ever seen, and while part of that was also it's Forge mode, Theater was by far the largest chunk. It allowed people to make awesome Machinamas, crazy screenshots, montages, and so much more. I really feel like Warframe could benefit from this as well.

Captura is cool and all, but the thing is, you need to recreate a badass moment if you want a cool screenshot or something... And there are tons of limitations with it. But with a Theater mode, you could easily just load up that last mission you played, find yourself doing that awesome thing, and screenshot from there. Plus, this would make a YouTubers life waaaay easier, meaning better content from them as well.

Along with this, there should be a community hub where everyone can go see what other players are doing. A nice little place where people can show off their screenshots and video clips from Theater. Then maybe DE can do what Bungie did back then and have a "Top 5 Screenshots of the Week" or something, and maybe even give out small prizes. That would connect us with tons more players and maybe even with DE if they do community interaction within the community hub. Nothing but good could happen from it, so I really do hope it somehow happens in the future.

• Like 1

There is no infrastructure for something like this.

9 minutes ago, --CV--Agilis said:

"Top 5 Screenshots of the Week"

This doesn't require what you are requesting.

9 minutes ago, --CV--Agilis said:

Plus, this would make a YouTubers life waaaay easier, meaning better content from them as well.

For all I care, the lot of them could fall into an active volcano.

Quake 3 demo recording (and games alike) was awesome. It "recorded" player's positions, movement speed, aim angles, and actions. The files themselves were rather small, less than 1 MB for 15 minutes of gameplay. From what I remember, it logged the netcode.
With the right tools, you could record a movie from almost anything that happened during the demo, not restricted to first person views (the game is 1st person). Lots of older movies have matrix bullet time shots in them because that was cool to do at the time.

10 hours ago, Spookmineer said:

Quake 3 demo recording (and games alike) was awesome. It "recorded" player's positions, movement speed, aim angles, and actions. The files themselves were rather small, less than 1 MB for 15 minutes of gameplay. From what I remember, it logged the netcode.
With the right tools, you could record a movie from almost anything that happened during the demo, not restricted to first person views (the game is 1st person). Lots of older movies have matrix bullet time shots in them because that was cool to do at the time.

Demo recording is exactly what i though of when i read OP's post.

Demo recording has been around for ages, the earliest example i can think of is the original doom.
Doom, along with many other early first person shooter games, used very simple and predictable algorithms to determine AI behaviours. This was to the extent that, so long as you always did the exact same things in multiple playthroughs of the game, the enemies would behave in the exact same way. What this means is that in order to playback a demo in-engine and have it always show the exact same thing, all that was required was a recording of the player's inputs which resulted in a VERY small file.

Logging the netcode may be a solution, but given the fact that it would only be able to be played back in-game, would it be worth it?