Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PC) Melee Phase 2: STATS Feedback

[DE]Danielle

4 hours ago, -.Mariella.- said:

Heavy strike is horrible... slow and inefficient.

Yea, overall it's too clunky to use. However, there seems to be some outlier cases to this, for example Sparring's vertical van Damme split axe kick is still good (but its follow up is not good) and Sword-Whip has a pretty smooth and snappy heavy attack duo (the problem it has is that it can fling things behind you!). But most weapons have very clunky "wind-up" before the attack, and the attack itself either has a jerky lurch or an awkward hitbox that makes it feel bad to use and hit with. General issue besides this I feel is that due to the huge bonuses that Blood Rush gets and the meager and instantly gone returns of Heavy Attack with combo counter, the only use they have is for Life Strike.

I feel that right now the heavy attacks could use improvements in two areas: Generally speaking smoother and more readily controlled attack animations that come off fluidly from other combos (really, I think heavy attacks should be another combo loop; heck ideally even a second set of combo loops!), and secondly in how they consume Combo Counter, if at all. I don't think Combo Counter has really worked that well before or now, at least now it has less wonky sides to it, but it's also just a vehicle for Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds now, and as often discussed here Blood Rush has a disruptive element to it by being a "ticket to ride" sort of mod for crit. I don't think Heavy Attacks necessarily need to eat Combo Counter, even besides current state of affairs, having them do different things would be good in itself (a good example is the van Damme split axe kick, it would really work mixed in with normal combos). Similarly, tying melee self-healing into them is alright (in some respects it's an improvement, in some it isn't), but ultimately it might be better to create something similar to Hirudo or Amalgam Daikyu->Nikana given how damage spikes in Warframe.

Just as how I think it would be prudent to make Blood Rush and CO be mutually exclusive to prevent them having a feedback loop between each other (since the unholy trinity of Meme Strike-Blood Rush-CO was even worse), and then properly balance them around how they can interact with "regular" mods without worry of how they interact with each other.

• Like 1

On 2019-10-31 at 7:12 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Blood Rush - Will now scale differently, using a stacking multiplier based on the Combo Counter, raising 60% per Combo Counter tier (something much easier to achieve in Phase 2).

On 2019-10-31 at 7:12 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Condition Overload - Now uses a stacking multiplier based on how many Status Effects are on the target at 120% damage per Status.

Dear DE, I really want you guys to understand why this sucks.

When you make things that were previously multiplicative additive, you introduce heavility diminished returns to other mods granting these effects.

In this case it's True Steel, Sacrificial Steel, Maiming Strike, Primed Pressure Point, Sacrificial Pressure and Rivens.

Bloodrush becomes effectively +660% crit chance vastly exceeding all other options and Condition Overload only requires 2 status procs to exceed Primed Pressure Point.

First of all this makes modding melee weapons boring and uninteresting. Why you ask? Because the number of top tier mods competing for slots has been reduced from 10-11 to 8-9.

This means there's a lot fewer decisions to be made. As the number of viable mods approaches 8 things just inherently become less interesting.

Second of all, the amount of ruined rivens is astonishing and has removed excitement about the melee rework for me and a lot of other players.

Optimal rolls for melee rivens used to generally be any combination of +dmg +as +range +cd +cc +slidecc which gives you 20 combinations.
If you remove +dmg, +cc and +slidecc from the pool you get...
1 combination. Just 1. The 19 other ones are effectively invalidated by the changes to Bloodrush in all scenarios and Condition Overload in most.

The worst part is I don't even really feel like I need to mention rivens to make a compelling argument for why this is bad for the game, because breaking modding should be enough on it's own. Rivens is just the cherry on top of reasons why this sucks.

Bloodrush needs to just multiply final crit chance again. Really Condition Overload should become final damage again too, but Bloodrush is the primary problem.

And I wanna make something absolutely clear.

I'm not looking for more power. If making Bloodrush multiply final crit chance again comes along with reducing it further to 20%, good.

Same for Condition Overload. Making it additive with itself is a good idea, but making it additive with Pressure Point is not. Lower it to 60%, make it multiply final damage again, but let it stay additive with itself so it's 120% at 2 procs.

Please listen to this feedback.

Edited by Senguash
  • Like 2

The problems you describe aren't problems of how Blood Rush and CO act with other mods, it's to a large part the mods themselves. True Steel could use a lot of work, and True Punishment is basically a joke. They shouldn't act as accomplices for a broken mechanic like what Blood Rush and CO used to do.

I think CO should also be capped in the number of stat procs it scales with. Warframe doesn't need to and never should have catered to coming up with ways to inflict 12 status procs. I'd say 3 to 5 is ideal because that's what an average solo player can reasonably inflict passively. With Blood Rush, I believe the problem is really in how weak the other critical chance mods are, and the dysfunctionality of the Combo Counter as a conceptual mechanic when other mechanics can scale off it (though right now all it really does is act as Blood Rush gauge). One possible solution I feel is that if we separate True X and Blood Rush more firmly, is if the other mods could provide a limited flat increase instead (that BR can't multiply, or if BR would just be incompatible with True X entirely) so they'd have a universal value to them.

But core problem in both cases is the (continued) interaction that Blood Rush and Condition Overload can have. Scaling mods should not be permitted to be used in tandem. Blood Rush and CO should first be made mutually exclusive with each other. THEN you could have CO and maybe even Blood Rush act as a multiplier if they can no longer multiply the other multiplier. Rebalance work can really be done only when a feedback loop between them is impossible. Things need to reined in and brought to a reasonable balance, and I feel Blood Rush and CO aren't there yet. We got rid of Meme Strike, but the unholy trinity isn't fully dealt with yet.

(Also we shouldn't even consider rivens because rivens are a disaster to begin with)

Edited by vaarnaaarne

2 hours ago, Senguash said:

Dear DE, I really want you guys to understand why this sucks.

When you make things that were previously multiplicative additive, you introduce heavility diminished returns to other mods granting these effects.

In this case it's True Steel, Sacrificial Steel, Maiming Strike, Primed Pressure Point, Sacrificial Pressure and Rivens.

Bloodrush becomes effectively +660% crit chance vastly exceeding all other options and Condition Overload only requires 2 status procs to exceed Primed Pressure Point.

First of all this makes modding melee weapons boring and uninteresting. Why you ask? Because the number of top tier mods competing for slots has been reduced from 10-11 to 8-9.

This means there's a lot fewer decisions to be made. As the number of viable mods approaches 8 things just inherently become less interesting.

Second of all, the amount of ruined rivens is astonishing and has removed excitement about the melee rework for me and a lot of other players.

Optimal rolls for melee rivens used to generally be any combination of +dmg +as +range +cd +cc +slidecc which gives you 20 combinations.
If you remove +dmg, +cc and +slidecc from the pool you get...
1 combination. Just 1. The 19 other ones are effectively invalidated by the changes to Bloodrush in all scenarios and Condition Overload in most.

The worst part is I don't even really feel like I need to mention rivens to make a compelling argument for why this is bad for the game, because breaking modding should be enough on it's own. Rivens is just the cherry on top of reasons why this sucks.

Bloodrush needs to just multiply final crit chance again. Really Condition Overload should become final damage again too, but Bloodrush is the primary problem.

And I wanna make something absolutely clear.

I'm not looking for more power. If making Bloodrush multiply final crit chance again comes along with reducing it further to 20%, good.

Same for Condition Overload. Making it additive with itself is a good idea, but making it additive with Pressure Point is not. Lower it to 60%, make it multiply final damage again, but let it stay additive with itself so it's 120% at 2 procs.

Please listen to this feedback.

I totally agree with you and think that they should be multiplicative again. I also think those mods (CO, Blood rush) can be nerfed (and capped) in return. That s a pretty easy solution to the whole thing.

• Like 2

On 2019-11-04 at 2:56 AM, kuryux said:

Came here just to say melee feels great. Overall the changes were great. Usually the 5% of the ppl that didnt like the changes cause they have to adapt, come here to complain and the 95% that enjoyed dont come here at all, so it might give a wrong impression.

The range balance feels great for example. Now weapons with small range can be useful again and thats a LOT of weapons, while those with good range are still great

The new combo multiplier feels great too. At first it might seem like a nerf to blood rush and stuff, but b4  we used to get stuck at 2.5x 3x for hundreds of hits and now u can go past 12x which feels a lot more exciting.

The list goes on on. All great stuff, well thought, feels great once u get used and stuff

so it feels more exciting because it says twelve guess we'll just ignore the fact that your doing less damage. 

I didn't use primary or secondary weapons as "kill weapons" prior to the update, because melee was better by orders of magnitude. I carried around an armor remover/Condition Overload stacker secondary, and a primary that existed only to house Amalgam Serration for the sprint speed boost.

It's a good thing that melee weapons do damage similar to guns now. Maybe I will have a reason to shoot enemies again. I'm glad the nerfs were as large as they were; even though they specifically targeted the arsenals of players like myself. Melee was broken beyond all reason, defying any standard of power. As long as melee was allowed to endure in such a state, no balance could exist anywhere in the game.

However, the crucial maths of the melee issue post-update have borne a strange circumstance, wherein mods granting +Melee Damage or +Critical Chance are rendered totally obsolete by Condition Overload and Blood Rush, respectively. I would like DE to remember that they can simply reduce a mod's multiplicative value without totally changing the paradigm of its function.

By all means, Condition Overload should never have stacked exponentially with itself. The phrase "stacked exponentially with itself" alone is so ludicrous that to hear it should give any balance team stomach pain. However, lumping its multiplier in with regular +Melee Damage has dramatically devalued all other forms of +Melee Damage. Blood Rush, too, provides so much more +Critical Chance than any other mod that it's laughable.

Here's a thought: Condition Overload gets unique multiplier; reduce numbers until it works.

And, if you want to be rid of the Blood Rush problem once and for all, try this: Anything that "stacks with Combo Multiplier" applies only to heavy attacks.

After all, combo exists to support heavy attacks; isn't that what you imagined? I doubt anyone would actually go to the trouble of using a heavy attack to get that multiplier in any case, so you won't have to worry about Blood Rush breaking your game anymore, and regular +Critical Chance will become worthwhile again.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

It would be better to cap CO, but I am inclined to say that yes making Blood Rush only affect Heavy Attack in the current system (I think in the longterm there's a lot of improvement to be done to heavy attack fluidity, since I like the idea of having two attack buttons and two sets of combo loops) would be one way to fix that still to be fully resolved balance issue. CO and Blood Rush need to be balanced with other mods, both guns and melee, and that means getting them in line. CO does have the drawback that it can't work against certain enemies, but I think that's appropriate for it and it still needs something else to discourage constant use like a cap on how many procs it counts. Blood Rush is a bit harder, but a major part of that I feel is that True Steel and True Punishment are so weak even without vastly stronger Blood Rush to compare against. Giving them the previous kind of parasitic relationship with Blood Rush is no fix to that, and only works as a step back in the problem of balancing melee and guns right (now I'm more inclined to say that melee does deserve some extra candy compared to guns, but that's me and I don't think that should translate to millions or even billions of difference in potential damage).

Though with all this DE should probably establish a clear absolute level cap for enemies or make endless not actually endless, because it seems some people just can't take a hint that it is ludicrous to think melee should be balanced around levels multiple times higher than Sortie 3 and Kuva Lich, or even four-digit enemy levels. Or that it'd be even possible to do this.

Edited by vaarnaaarne

So blood rush no longer scales off final critical chance and condition overload no longer multiplies final damage. The wikia page is right, this balance change completely ruined mods for critical chance and damage on melee. Neither 120% critical chance nor 200% damage would make a dent compared to Condition overload and blood rush.

Yes the new melee stances feel good. But the damage is almost 1/10th of what we had. Some stances like Cleaving whirlwind no longer gives damage bonuses, yet you still get the stagger penalty after 5 spins rather than the previous 7. Charged attacks used to be free, now they cost combo, and that 300% critical chance is not worth that 1 swing that may not even hit anything. Redeemer is completely useless, her bullet dance no longer reliably shoots, and as we know the charged attack now costs combo.

I understand that these changes are to make melee more consistent with other damages in game, but consistently worse isnt good. Melee weapons now feel exactly like guns, except guns have nearly infinite range. I think this is a big oversight. Blood rush and Condition overload needs a quick to make Primed pressure point and critical chance mods/rivens relevant again. It would have been a better nerf to cap Condition overload down to 3 or 4 statuses, and Blood rush was never broken so the 60% nerf was already sufficient to work with the combo counter changed. Maiming strike is dead, which btw, dont say on stream that spin 2 win is still a thing when you literally removed the 2 mechanics that made it a thing.

@[DE]Danielle TL:DR Overall feedback:

1. Condition Overload replaced all damage mods
  2. Blood rush replaced all Critical Chance mods
  3. Rivens with above stats crashed the market
  4. Stances like Cleaving whirlwind and bullet dance broke
  5. Heavy attacks are too slow and often miss
  6. Heavy attack (singular) can cost 5x combo, that's 300% critical chance
  7. Exalted melee got skipped, still cant use combo mods???
  8. Stat sticks for warframe abilities (which imo shouldn't have been a thing) are also dead
  9. Rip Zenistar
  10. Rip gun blades
  11. Rip Glaives
  12. Rip catchmoon, b/c...
On 2019-11-01 at 8:28 AM, Arkandae said:

Catchmoon is now the best melee weapon.

Edited by Descent-of-Damocles

DE stay strong, There will always be haters when u attempt to change playstyles, ppl who had a single build for everything and dont wanna experiment around, but for those who took their time to try and learn and adapt, this is really great, still kicking ass on top lvl content and having a blast

On 2019-10-31 at 6:08 PM, vFlitz said:

Condition Overload being additive with Pressure Point makes the latter unwanted and obsolete on any weapon that can do status at least a little.

With two procs CO is at 240%, or 3.4x base damage done. Primed Pressure Point will increase that to 4.95x, which is only a 45% increase in damage at the cost of a mod slot, and improvement becomes smaller the more procs you add. And getting to two procs is really simple - most weapons don't even need to use their status chance for that because stances provide forced procs.

The sudden change in the stat's value is especially detrimental to Rivens. Previously Melee Damage was a solid roll, now it's quite undesirable.

While I can understand the reasoning behind making CO not be multiplicative with itself, it should still be multiplicative pressure point, or pressure point should be buffed to sit somewhere in the middle between CO's minimum performance and maximum expected (as in, when not jumping through a lot of hoops to get as many procs on an enemy as is humanly possible) performance.

It could be argued that PPP has a use case for crit weapons, heavy attacks and slash weapons as slash proc math cares about base damage mods. If you dont want to dilute your slash procs with unnecessary elemental damage types but still want more damage you can use PPP. Also status immune enemies are a thing. I think Pressure Point should be buffed to closer to 200% personally. I know that Heavy attacks are now pretty important to DPS and thats going to skew builds dramatically.

I really like the heavy attacks and the stance changes. My suggestion would be to make mods that change how heavy attacks work or adds different functionality to your heavy attacks. Ive been using the telos boltace to pull enemies in for forced slashed procs and relentless combination to build towards a heavy attack. Its deeply satisfying but i wish that i could do more than the two heavy attacks.

5 hours ago, Descent-of-Damocles said:

@[DE]Danielle TL:DR Overall feedback:

1. Condition Overload replaced all damage mods
  2. Blood rush replaced all Critical Chance mods
  3. Rivens with above stats crashed the market
  4. Stances like Cleaving whirlwind and bullet dance broke
  5. Heavy attacks are too slow and often miss
  6. Heavy attack (singular) can cost 5x combo, that's 300% critical chance
  7. Exalted melee got skipped, still cant use combo mods???
  8. Stat sticks for warframe abilities (which imo shouldn't have been a thing) are also dead
  9. Rip Zenistar
  10. Rip gun blades
  11. Rip Glaives
  12. Rip catchmoon, b/c...

You forgot 0. Some old good stances (like tempo royale) got gutted, shot behind the shed, butchered to chunks and restiched with animation locks.

I think ppl are misunderstanding sth. The new melee is indeed really strong and only a small amount of ppl are complaining about that. And that is not the real problem. Stuff like "you have to experiment" just shows that those ppl probably didn t experiment themselves, since you would realise really fast, that many mods are more or less useless right now. The heavy attacks are too clunky and Blood rush and CO are too limiting. Using mods and riven with +dmg and +cc is practically meaningless. Same for heavy attack mods. That all is further limiting the diversity of melee builds. That s the reason why especially those mods and the heavy attacks themselves need some improvements and/or changes. There are also some stances who need some minor changes. I don t need to go too much into detail, since there are already many ppl who mentioned it.

And let s be honest this is the feedback section and this thread exists to give feedback for further improvement. And we all know that the melee phase 2 changes aren t finished. Otherwise this update would already be online for PS4 and XBox. Warframe is a game who is obviously open for improvements and changes from the playerside and that I m really thankful for. You aren t doing DE a favour if you just say everything is alright and that DE shouldn t listen to the other players, who are demanding some minor changes, even though there is actually room for improvement and bugs to be fixed. And DE can obviously differenciate between constructive critic and hate. 

Some stances should be reworked to avoid ragdoll / knockdown ennemies on standard combo (redeemer and ankyros). Knockdown should be limited to tactical combo.

Heavy attack deals wayyy to few damages, when I spend that ×12 combo multiplier I want to 1hko bombards. It feels that a proper scaling should be (1.5)^n instead of ×n.

Then there is also an issue with combo efficiency. Why another reason to be forced to use Zenurik school ? At the very least the focus power that gives combo efficiency should be unbound

Blood Rush & Condition Overload: These mods in the past felt like you'd have to continuously wield melee to make the best use of them, but CO was a bit less on that side (combo multiplier still boosted your damage, but it didn't revolve around it), that's why I slightly prefered it over crit weapons when I didn't want to spend the entire mission using my melee weapon only just to make sure the efficiency of my Blood Rush doesn't die with my melee combo.
So I assume the idea was: making combat more fluid by increasing base damage, and combo points not giving you more damage, therefore allow you to use shooting weapons more conveniently then switch back and forth to melee with possibly less penalty, but still have some other mechanic using combo/combo counters. If so, the idea in itself is great, but it didn't get implemented the best way possible, but that's kinda fine because there is room to improve it. Condition Overload can work as such now, but Blood Rush doesn't, which is fine since this way you can go with whatever you prefer. However the stats on these mods could use some tweaking, and heavy attacks just instantly consuming all your combo feels somewhat clunky, especially using Blood Rush, and from a control standpoint holding the melee button felt more convenient to do heavy attacks.

Maiming Strike: Possibly unpopular opinion here; never liked the mod, and I feel like spinning mindlessly should have never been even equally as rewarding as performing combos and using melee in a more aesthetically pleasing way. It's a more healthy design for the players to benefit more from using melee properly, and do combos and such, opposed to spamming the same thing over and over (some people even had macros for it) and wiping rooms and even entire extermination missions out with it effortlessly. "Simple" can be convenient, but there should be a healthy balance where a playstyle with more effort is somewhat more rewarding.

Covert Lethality: Dagger base damage got buffed, but so did every weapons' and it kinda feels like daggers didn't catch up with the melee update still at the end in terms of damage when you compare them to other weapons which also got buffed base damage. And I'm talking about all daggers here, not just Zaw daggers. It was really due time for other daggers to shine too.
In my opinion Covert Lethality should have keep its normal damage increase, it could have use a buff even. This mod wasn't all about finishers, and the normal damage increase of it was pretty important, and it feels like that aspect of it was completely ignored after the update. The initial combo count is pretty lackluster, especially considering combo doesn't increase damage now.

And while it's not on the list, Gaia's Tragedy's Forest's Remorse combo seems to be missing it's repeated front attacks after the repeated uppercuts, so this combo feels very unsatisfying both visually and damage wise now. It was the coolest thing about the stance. I do think and hope this is just a bug, and it's going to be corrected.

Sigma & Octantis: Kept both of its critical chance and status chance as it was, and its damage nowhere got as much boost as Silva & Aegis Prime's, which at the same time also got almost as much crit as Sigma, and now it has almost double of Sigma's status chance. Sigma went from 60 to 174 damage, S&A Prime went from 120 to 318. Calculating DPS in theory it's Sigma with 187.92, S&A Prime with 238.5, which is a huge difference. Sigma's only redeeming qualities are its finisher gimmick and predominantly Slash damage, but then again it has a relatively small status chance so it doesn't get much advantage from it.
Why is this wrong? Well, while Sigma might be a mastery 0 weapon, you can get it from daily tribute only, and it's not even in the first weapon pool players get at day 100, and players can only pick a weapon from this pool every 200 days. Which means, this weapon only becomes accessible after 300 days, so we should really ignore that 0 mastery requirement, and give the weapon the treatment as it was a higher mastery weapon. It feels like it was spared from buffs, which overall makes it a less desirable milestone reward to choose too.
I'm not saying S&A Prime should be nerfed, no. But Sigma could really use more buff, more dmg, status chance, its crit is kinda in the right place.

Also I feel like Scindo/Scindo Prime could use either some buff, or some gimmick which could allow it to compete with Gram Prime or Galatine Prime, because currently both of these weapons are just direct upgrades for a heavy blade weapon, which makes sense in a way since they are higher mastery. But it puts our only two handed axe weapon in the game in a disappointingly poor and undesirable spot. It's the same weapon class, so their use feels almost identical of course, so this suggestion is negligible. Alternatively we could use more axe looking heavy blade skins (preferably deluxe), but this suggestion would be kind of off topic here, so I'm just gonna end this feedback here 😛

I'm really sorry that this is mostly just complaints/negative feedback. I did really enjoy the new melee stance changes. I do really like the new general "feel" of melee, but there are a few things that still make things a bit difficult to make the most out of melee. 

1. It would be great if Sword & shields had their base blocking angle upped to 90 degrees. Then with the block mod, it would go up to 110.
    • I know this isn't comparable to IRL (unless you're using a tower shield, like romans) but it's more practical in a game where enemies surround you from every direction... like warframe. 
  2. Heavy attacks cost too much "combo" even when maxing out "combo efficiency" 
    • Yes, the combo is much faster to build now, but that still doesn't matter when you have to kill hordes of enemies, and you need a x8-12 multiplier for any "decent" amount of damage from a heavy attack. Otherwise they're too slow/inefficient to use frequently, since they don't do much more damage than a regular attack. 
  3. Crit builds don't benefit at all from using ANY heavy attacks. Using heavy attacks (even with efficiency) kills the efficiency & damage of crit builds, not to mention that it's much slower and less damage than just continuing to wail on enemies while getting red crits. 
Edited by Maka.Bones

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but some of the claimed old follow through stats are wrong. For instance, DE claims that hammers used to have a follow through of 0.2 which was changed to 0.4 in Update 26. They actually had a follow through of 0.9, which is a significant difference, especially given that follow through is exponential in nature.

What I have tested so far:

Hammers: Claimed to be 0.2, was actually 0.9
Heavy Blades: Claimed to be 0.2, was actually 0.9
Nikanas: Claimed to be 0.6, was actually 0.7
Rapiers: Claimed to be 1, was actually 0.6

• Like 3

please bring back the old system. at least give us the option of choosing between the old combo system and this new, simplified one. certain combos like the Ninkondi's pause combos are now replaced by one that requires you to keep your hands off the move forward button. this means you can only do these while standing still, moving sideways, or backwards. It also takes any learning curve and feeling of satisfaction out of learning a new combo. I get that the point of this is to make things easier for new players, but this just feels like mindless button mashing now, especially with the return to the old quick attack windmilling style. I liked the combo system introduced last time as it meant I had to actually engage a bit more than simply mashing the melee button while running around. 

Blood rush has also been overly nerfed or it is not calculating crit chance properly, at least on some weapons such as the ninkondi prime. with its 22% crit chance and sacrificial steel increasing it to 44%, blood rush should be giving about 26% per combo counter stack. but with the combo being capped out at 12x, all I am getting are orange crits (which don't happen at all until 7x), when my crit chance should be at around 350% and I should be getting red crits consistently. 

This would make sense if blood rush only goes off base crit chance, since that would give a little over 200% crit chance at 12x. I hope this was not intentional, as the 105% hit to blood rush's stats was already bad enough.