Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee nerfed a tad too hard

Lavantant

With the new update to melee attempting to change its balance, I think its been hit a bit too hard.

No longer infinitely scaling for endgame, damage doesnt go as far as the old 3x, range on a ton of weapons is nerfed. Its a shame because this was supposed to be when melee finally started to shine as its own thing, but I guess it was too much to ask.

• Like 2

They weren't ever trying to make it scale infinitely, and they don't like it too much because it makes balancing content really hard on them. They pretty much say as much in the Condition Overload point.

Also, almost all base ranges were massively increased. Sure, the 20-metre Guandao Rivens might not be going as far but I feel most weapons have had a net positive. Some base ranges have more than doubled.

• Like 6

The mods and other factors made Melee too binary in performance; the update made Melee more equalized in performance in line with Primaries and Secondaries. That also means that even if some things are worse than the "better" choices, it's still reliable enough to get the job done.

Before the mainline, you wouldn't dare to use something like the Fang Prime over a Zaw Polearm or an equivalent. Now, there are plenty of opportunities for you to do your missions than just that single class of melee weapons dominating the rest of the other weapons.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Duality52 said:

The mods and other factors made Melee too binary in performance; the update made Melee more equalized in performance in line with Primaries and Secondaries. That also means that even if some things are worse than the "better" choices, it's still reliable enough to get the job done.

Before the mainline, you wouldn't dare to use something like the Fang Prime over a Zaw Polearm or an equivalent. Now, there are plenty of opportunities for you to do your missions than just that single class of melee weapons dominating the rest of the other weapons.

Unless it's a crit hybrid status spar, then you might as well be throwing a Kraken at them.

Aim true, tenno.

Just now, MaryoSlayer said:

I tested every weapon against lvl 130 corrupted heavy gunners, every melee is WAY better now except your brain-dead polearms and im gonna be honest im so happy spin to win has been adressed

130 is the start of lategame, go to lvl 400 for something that starts to feel like endgame plz

• Like 3

Across the board stat buffs, but somehow a nerf because you can't deal 26 times the damage with one mod or spam slide attacks to kill entire rooms.

This is why nobody takes "endgame" players seriously,

Edited by Aldain
  • Like 3

Tested some weapons, seems like not all stances are finished either.

Twirling Spire for instance is the only polearm stance with a unique set of combos. The other two are identical and are even lacking the basic Forward+E combo. Twirling Spire does feel nice though. I have however gone back to other weapons that just feel alot more fluid since the changes while still packing some neat damage and having amazing area coverage.

Still need to test out more of the exalteds, have just given Wukong a spin and much hasnt changed for him.

Condition Overload took a beating, but it is still a good mod and there arent many other options to take its place in certain builds. I'll just keep running the heavy slash crit/status hybrid setup, I'll just move over to a different weapon class instead of my beloved polearms.

Just now, Lavantant said:

130 is the start of lategame, go to lvl 400 for something that starts to feel like endgame plz

Oh, i see the type of player that you are. The one that stays all day in survival even tho he doesnt get any rewards out of it. I wont even try to reason with you then. 

Reaper prime got a huge buff too, Dakra prime is rly good too now. Most of the melee weapons now have a comfortable range and totally good range with prime reach. Base damage and stances are much better too. CO did get nerfed and life strike needs heavy attacks, but other then that, Its not just 2 melees that are usable now, most of the melees are quite usable now and CO did need nerf. Max was like 1000x damage, but realistically You could have easly achieved 400x damage. You cant do that withj any primary or secondary. You combo them with each other and warframe abilities, otherwise Primaries and Secondaries arent better at endgame. Now melees dont suck, which They did before, If You didnt do a CO or Blood rush build on a weapon that had good stats. Now most melees have good stats and range and stances are better as well as base damage. I am happy for this update.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MaryoSlayer said:

I tested every weapon against lvl 130 corrupted heavy gunners, every melee is WAY better now except your brain-dead polearms and im gonna be honest im so happy spin to win has been adressed

Try 130 demolysts instead.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Most people are saying condition overload got gutted but i don't get it, it does 120% per stat but has a cap.

Now it's flat, just like pressure point.

Edited by Test-995

I just tested my melee build.

Went down from 1500k dmg per hit to 70k per hit - 20 fold nerf in short.

And no, I wasnt using slide attack or CO before to get those numbers.

The combo multiplier dmg buff and blood rush were nerfed so much. Not all weapons base dmg was +200%, most got around 50-100% at most.

2 handers are now generic MMORPG crap comparing to 1 handers, almost same dmg and range.

Maim strike dead (just means unusable weak weapons will be dead again without it”, blood rush is weaker, combo is weaker overall, range on polearms/whips nerfed, Ash ult feels worse/slower now cause combo, some weapons received unnecessary IPS dmg (why?!). Well, at least things i noticed. Will see later. Ye, some weapons looks fancy and funny, but ... melee nerfed overall, if looks at things over 120 lvl,ye. w/e. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, herflik said:

I just tested my melee build.

Went down from 1500k dmg per hit to 70k per hit - 20 fold nerf in short.

And no, I wasnt using slide attack or CO before to get those numbers.

The combo multiplier dmg buff and blood rush were nerfed so much. Not all weapons base dmg was +200%, most got around 50-100% at most.

2 handers are now generic MMORPG crap comparing to 1 handers, almost same dmg and range.

So blood rush is ruined?

11 minutes ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Most people are saying condition overload got gutted but i don't get it, it does 120% per stat but has a cap.

They changed it again. Now it is 120% base damage per status and can go beyond the limit of 3 that they planned on previously. Still not worth it to maximize statuses to max out CO, since CO after the patch fits better on a simple IPS weapon just to get as much damage out of slash as possible. Adding statuses to increase the CO damage buff will mean far less slash procs being applied in the end. And on weapons that dont rely on slash you are just better of with some other mod to increase your direct damage, cos base damage isnt that hot.

30 minutes ago, MaryoSlayer said:

Gunblades have been completely nerfed to hell, it's pretty much impossible to consistently shoot with them with either stance, and now the charge attack (which is the only consistent way to shoot without dumb jumps towards or away from the enemy that make you miss) eats your entire combo counter stack, so gladiator set mods on your sentinel or blood rush on the weapon itself are now completely useless.

1 minute ago, Vesciroth said:

Gunblades have been completely nerfed to hell, it's pretty much impossible to consistently shoot with them with either stance, and now the charge attack (which is the only consistent way to shoot without dumb jumps towards or away from the enemy that make you miss) eats your entire combo counter stack, so gladiator set mods on your sentinel or blood rush on the weapon itself are now completely useless.

Yeah, gunblades do suck now sorry i forgot to mention

• Like 1