Dabluechimp

Melee phase 2, the good the bad and the crit

Lets start this thread off by saying I've only played about an hour or two and tested stuff in the simulacrum

• The good
Combos
I Love the feel of combos, any complains i had of melee combos are gone out the window with this update
combos feel so much more fluid now and they're clear cut on how to do, not more hard combos with super fast attack speed

Range
while i don't know the numbers but Range feels static now, and it feels useful on claw/fist short range weapons, while still having an impact on long weapons like hammers/scythes
I'm happy for this change

Heavy attack
them having their own key bind defiantly feels nice in some ways i can see it being useful with a few changes

• The Bad
Heavy attack
while it having its own key binding, I feel like need to pull the weapon out to use it annoying imo if you could charge attack strait from firing with your gun it would add so much more fluidity

Combo counter
I like how fast the counter builds up compared to the old one
but I feel as if I'm not actually getting 12x more damage
3x more damage felt so much more impactful, while I'm all for a faster combo counter build up, I want the numbers to be real

• The crit
This is the kicker of the topic
while I am very happy with most of these changes and most of my gripes are just about things feel better
Crits are sad now
from my tests with different mod setups red crit can only be obtained (out side of harrow) with arcanes and all my crit mods
and crits just seem to do so much less now, my non-crits seem to do more than my crits
I'm sure that DE's goal is to not gut every crit melee, cause we'll just have the same problem as spin to win
one type of play style will dominate the rest

TL:DR all in all I'm happy with most of the changes, I like this update, but I do not want crit to become useless on melees, and thats the way I see it going currently

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dabluechimp said:

Combo counter
I like how fast the counter builds up compared to the old one
but I feel as if I'm not actually getting 12x more damage

Oh, that's because you're not. The "12x" only multiplies the damage of heavy attacks-- your regular attacks have 1x damage the entire time. (The ~3x buffs to base damage across the board makes up for that.)
Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds still scale from this multiplier, though. (Specifically, this multiplier minus 1, according to the new Blood Rush / Weeping Wounds buff icons.)

Regarding the crits... I haven't tested this myself, but I have a strong suspicion that Blood Rush now applies after other crit boosts, rather than before. So additive bonuses like cats and Harrow will no longer be multiplied by BR.
It's a huge loss in damage, but IMO it's a bit of a well-deserved one (and I'm honestly surprised that interaction lasted for as long as it did). Additive crit chance sources turned literally any melee weapon into a red-crit monsters when combined with BR, whereas now it seems to behave more in line with how guns do.

Edited by SortaRandom
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for clearing that up for me ^_^ that makes more sense now

Edited by Dabluechimp

2 hours ago, Dabluechimp said:

not more hard combos with super fast attack speed

They are still all over the place, some running combos slow you down or nail you in place, some neutral combos still launch you forward, gap closers are a joke, having two moves in one gap closer is pointless when the gap they close is less than 30cm in front of you.

Stop talking like status isn't sad now, they are also rekt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

(The ~3x buffs to base damage across the board makes up for that.)

Unfortunately thats not the case. Many weapons were not properly compensated for the loss of combo multiplier. Gram prime went from 180 to 300 dmg. Galatine prime went from 165 to 280 dmg. Those are only 1.66x and 1.69x dmg increases respectively. Considering how easy it was to maintain a 3x or even 4x dmg boost with the combo multiplier, this is a huge nerf.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dragazer said:

Unfortunately thats not the case. Many weapons were not properly compensated for the loss of combo multiplier. Gram prime went from 180 to 300 dmg. Galatine prime went from 165 to 280 dmg. Those are only 1.66x and 1.69x dmg increases respectively. Considering how easy it was to maintain a 3x or even 4x dmg boost with the combo multiplier, this is a huge nerf.

But, hey, they now have longer range than many pole arms, so at least they didn't get annihilated like them.

12 minutes ago, RedDirtTrooper said:

But, hey, they now have longer range than many pole arms, so at least they didn't get annihilated like them.

Have you tried the Orthos Prime? Fortunately its base dmg was properly compensated. It went from 64 to 234 dmg, a 3.6x dmg increase. Its new buffs to crit, status and also having a much faster stance and attack speed completely blows the gram prime out of the water. MR12 orthos p vs MR14 gram p btw

Edited by Dragazer

1 minute ago, Dragazer said:

Have you tried the Orthos Prime? Fortunately its base dmg was properly compensated. It went from 64 to 234 dmg, a 3.6x dmg increase. Its new buffs, to crit and status and much faster stance and attack speed completely blows the gram prime out of the water. MR12 orthos p vs MR14 gram p btw

Honestly haven't bothered, Catchmoon is my melee weapon now. No point in doing less reliable stylish damage. I do find it hilarious that I keep hearing that one of the only really viable melee weapons after this garbage update is the Orthos, considering that's almost exactly the position it held back in the bad old days when melee was a sad joke. What goes around comes around I guess.

2 hours ago, Dragazer said:

Oh, yikes, I hadn't noticed that.
That's... a damn shame. Heavy melees are still quite a bit slower than other weapons of the same speed, right? They should definitely have higher base damage to make up for that.

I hope their stances still have good multipliers...

Just now, SortaRandom said:

Oh, yikes, I hadn't noticed that.
That's... a damn shame. Heavy melees are still quite a bit slower than other weapons of the same speed, right? They should definitely have higher base damage to make up for that.

I hope their stances still have good multipliers...

You're in for an unpleasant surprise, Cleaving whirlwind's Broken bull combo no longer has the 400% dmg multiplier per hit anymore. And yeah they're still slow as ever.  

• Woah 1

3 minutes ago, Dragazer said:

You're in for an unpleasant surprise, Cleaving whirlwind's Broken bull combo no longer has the 400% dmg multiplier per hit anymore. And yeah they're still slow as ever.  

depositphotos_170592554-stock-video-woma

^ me rn

The stationary combos on cleaving whirlwind seem to have huge damage multipliers now, as they do far more damage than the 2 hit spins from broken bull.