Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bladestorm Change

nakatotaiyou

I appreciate the effort DE put into the new animations but bladestorm remains practically useless. It deals bigger damage compared to other ubers but very slowly and limited to 13 enemies. It's actually much better,speed and  dps wise, if you use your weapons and shuriken/smoke screen. Bladestorm also makes you invincible but ash already has invisibilty from smoke screen. Not to mention, staring at your screen for several seconds while doing nothing as you wait for bladestorm to end takes away from the action... Unless you really like watching the animations there is no real reason to use the skill.

My suggestion is a complete change to ash's uber. It will create 3 smoke clones at max level that will follow ash with a bit of delay and mimic his melee attacks, not only the normal/charged ones, but the slide, wallrun and slam attacks and even the stealth/ground finisher. It will work the same as in this video 

(watch the left character). Perhaps 3 clones will make it too powerful, maybe reduce to 2 at max level, up to you to decide but it is an uber after all.

Pros: Unique uber

Works in synergy with smoke screen because of the melee damage buff.

Finally makes melee a useful damage tool.

Stealth even more powerful because the finisher will deal huge damage.

Gives ash a nice CC tool because of the multiple slide/slam attacks you can do.

A lot more active compared to the current bladestorm.

Looks very ninja-ish and awesome.

Cons: All the work Geoff and his team put into the new animations gone to waste... Also maybe its hard to put in game although i have no idea about programming.

If you dont like this idea, and want to keep the current bladestorm then this topic is the next best thing i found: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/112466-ash-ult-rework-suggestion/

Edited by nakatotaiyou

While I feel bad that DE already invested time and energy to animate blade storm, I admit it's really annoying seeing Ash warp 13 times to stab things which I'm not sure if I actually made a kill and when I reappear I'm a tad disoriented as to what my situation is of if I'm still going to get shot or swarmed.

I would love an ulti like this, it's more akin to his style of play, and flows a lot more seamlessly.

While I feel bad that DE already invested time and energy to animate blade storm, I admit it's really annoying seeing Ash warp 13 times to stab things which I'm not sure if I actually made a kill and when I reappear I'm a tad disoriented as to what my situation is of if I'm still going to get shot or swarmed.

I would love an ulti like this, it's more akin to his style of play, and flows a lot more seamlessly.

thanks

I really like your idea. I'm a melee fanatic so I'm also biased towards it, but from a critical point of view it could be pretty awesome. Imagine three smokescreened Ash going around with Galatine XD. That would be hilariously stupid powerful in a way.

However, I doubt DE will ever scrap Bladestorm, so I'm suggesting this little idea based on yours as an alternative. Following the examples in your topic, the one right above my post, and the one you linked:

- Make the animations a bit faster faster

- Make Ash create 3 clones of himself during Bladestorm (the camera follows only the true/player Ash)

- Next target is selected after attack on current target is finished (avoids wasting energy)

- The total numbers of enemies selected will be the same as current

-- Based on ranks, the number of enemies currently is 8 / 8 / 10 / 13. With 8 enemies, Ash and his three shadows will attack 2 enemies each; with 10, Ash and one shadow attack 3, while the other two selects 2; with 13, all shadows attack 3, while Ash attack 4.

--- I wouldn't mind the number of enemies selected to be increased by power duration mods, similar to how Focus increase numbers of spawns with Shadows of the Dead.

Since the animation will be faster, and we have 3 times the Ash dividing the kills, the whole thing will go down much quicker as well. Instead of waiting, things happen simultaneously. Ultimately, Ash will be better to wipe out a room and return to his initial position in much less time.

Function > Form

I have strongly considered only slotting smoke screen on my Ash. His abilities really do stink. This is exacerbated when you consider that his one useful ability is actually worse than Loki's version (apart from the fact that his doesn't stealth your sentinel, which may get fixed anyway). Despite it being the subject of much disdain, even radial disarm is better than bladestorm.

To be fair, Ash isn't the only frame that may suffer from this problem. When abilities have to directly compete with weapons, they need to be a marked improvement. I guess the flashiness has its appeal. Perhaps that's reason enough for some people to utilize a given ability, but why can't we have our cake and eat it too, as so many frames already do?

Right now if I choose to press bladestorm or shuriken, I'm basically expending energy in order to kill things slower than I otherwise could, had I simply used my weapons. It's worth noting hat the gap continues to widen as better and better weapons are introduced.

I really like your idea. I'm a melee fanatic so I'm also biased towards it, but from a critical point of view it could be pretty awesome. Imagine three smokescreened Ash going around with Galatine XD. That would be hilariously stupid powerful in a way.

However, I doubt DE will ever scrap Bladestorm, so I'm suggesting this little idea based on yours as an alternative. Following the examples in your topic, the one right above my post, and the one you linked:

- Make the animations a bit faster faster

- Make Ash create 3 clones of himself during Bladestorm (the camera follows only the true/player Ash)

- Next target is selected after attack on current target is finished (avoids wasting energy)

- The total numbers of enemies selected will be the same as current

-- Based on ranks, the number of enemies currently is 8 / 8 / 10 / 13. With 8 enemies, Ash and his three shadows will attack 2 enemies each; with 10, Ash and one shadow attack 3, while the other two selects 2; with 13, all shadows attack 3, while Ash attack 4.

--- I wouldn't mind the number of enemies selected to be increased by power duration mods, similar to how Focus increase numbers of spawns with Shadows of the Dead.

Since the animation will be faster, and we have 3 times the Ash dividing the kills, the whole thing will go down much quicker as well. Instead of waiting, things happen simultaneously. Ultimately, Ash will be better to wipe out a room and return to his initial position in much less time.

actually I have to admit thats nicely thought out if changes to Bladesorm is to happen I'd like it to be along these lines

+1

Function > Form

I have strongly considered only slotting smoke screen on my Ash. His abilities really do stink. This is exacerbated when you consider that his one useful ability is actually worse than Loki's version (apart from the fact that his doesn't stealth your sentinel, which may get fixed anyway). Despite it being the subject of much disdain, even radial disarm is better than bladestorm.

To be fair, Ash isn't the only frame that may suffer from this problem. When abilities have to directly compete with weapons, they need to be a marked improvement. I guess the flashiness has its appeal. Perhaps that's reason enough for some people to utilize a given ability, but why can't we have our cake and eat it too, as so many frames already do?

Right now if I choose to press bladestorm or shuriken, I'm basically expending energy in order to kill things slower than I otherwise could, had I simply used my weapons. It's worth noting hat the gap continues to widen as better and better weapons are introduced.

shuriken is useful though, 2 targets at once and you save ammo, stuns ancients, cast while jumping or sliding so you dont lose time. still not a fan of the auto aim but the ability is ok. bladestorm on the other hand... 

Edited by nakatotaiyou

I have no issues with bladestorm....

its unique, and a nice change to the usual press 4 flashy stuff for 1 second and continue, 

but im not suggesting any uber like the usual massive CC. how can you not have issues with bladestorm? objectively it has no practical use except maybe when you face those weird burrowing enemies in phobos or a lot of ospreys/drones, the animations go back to the original ones and switches target very fast, other than that nope.

Edited by nakatotaiyou

Make it Serrated Blade damage

Allow ash to highlight targets or prioritize all Heavier Units in Range

IIRC doesn't ashes Ult do the most raw damage (but isn't armor ignore?)

it is serrated already i think and it ignores armor but still the damage and  time it takes to finish the uber cant compare to what you can do with smoke screen/shuriken and weapons.

Blade Storm is a superb ultimate, in need of no real changes short of perhaps a little refinement to the individual animations. It does plenty of damage, as well as giving the player a handy breather. Most importantly, it is a joy to watch, rather than just being a quick burst of particle effects like most of the other ultimates.