Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

massive FPS drop since old blood update

SnoopTrog

Also wants to stand in the line... 😄 Massive performance loss from new update, other threads like... I hope we get some attention and DE consider some upgrade in graphic engine or something... its kinda frustrating that i have a multi thread cpu and a gtx 1070oc and i cant play the game in 75hz because something always goes wrong.. DE its 2k19

also

For me it's not normally framerate but since Old Blood the game will routinely bump my CPU to 60-70% usage and take FOREVER to load assets once entering a mission, like multiple 1 second freezes while it's loading all the buff icons and player cosmetics and the drive is clicking like mad as if it was defragging but nope it's just a video game... stuff that was basically 2 seconds before.

Tired of the gradual decline in optimization. Windows 7.

Edited by Periselene

12 hours ago, Periselene said:

For me it's not normally framerate but since Old Blood the game will routinely bump my CPU to 60-70% usage and take FOREVER to load assets once entering a mission, like multiple 1 second freezes while it's loading all the buff icons and player cosmetics and the drive is clicking like mad as if it was defragging but nope it's just a video game... stuff that was basically 2 seconds before.

Tired of the gradual decline in optimization. Windows 7.

Same thing with me

CPU: Core 2 Duo @ 4.0 ghz

Ram: 4Gb DDR2 at 400 FSB (1 to 1 ratio with CPU)

Graphics card: AMD 6850 1Gb

Game running from SSD

While my botleneck is clearly the bandwith, i didn't have the issue i had before.

Right now when entering the liset or a mission, the 1st few seconds i will be presented with some unpredictable stutering, the game stops over and over for 0.2 seconds or so, but consistently for about 10 seconds or so, afterwards it resumes back to it's fluid motion, this means that during the entry of a mission, my game is processing or loading stuff that didn't used to exist prior to the old blood update and because i have the botleneck and a 2 core CPU, the game strugles to process the game and load whatever it is loading, but gain, for only 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, KIREEK said:

Same thing with me

CPU: Core 2 Duo @ 4.0 ghz

Ram: 4Gb DDR2 at 400 FSB (1 to 1 ratio with CPU)

Graphics card: AMD 6850 1Gb

Game running from SSD

While my botleneck is clearly the bandwith, i didn't have the issue i had before.

Right now when entering the liset or a mission, the 1st few seconds i will be presented with some unpredictable stutering, the game stops over and over for 0.2 seconds or so, but consistently for about 10 seconds or so, afterwards it resumes back to it's fluid motion, this means that during the entry of a mission, my game is processing or loading stuff that didn't used to exist prior to the old blood update and because i have the botleneck and a 2 core CPU, the game strugles to process the game and load whatever it is loading, but gain, for only 10 seconds.

At least in your case someone could say you are just on an old computer. 1Gb VRAM is what my 2008 machine has. My specs are easily triple yours, this computer used to (as in, previous to this update) run everything at 60+ fps on high settings unless I really hammed up the particles - by the way, particles suck now. Extremely obnoxious even when lowered to Medium. 

Warframe just loads and loads and stutters for the first few minutes of a mission, not to mention the memory usage is unreasonable (see my most recent thread). The drive access noises are similar to when rebuilding a directory cache or doing a virus scan, it's *that* constant and happens whether I'm hosting or not. I have it on a platter drive but that didn't matter until a few weeks ago, and shouldn't matter now.

Edited by Periselene

29 minutes ago, Periselene said:

At least in your case someone could say you are just on an old computer. 1Gb VRAM is what my 2008 machine has. My specs are easily triple yours, this computer used to (as in, previous to this update) run everything at 60+ fps on high settings unless I really hammed up the particles - by the way, particles suck now. Extremely obnoxious even when lowered to Medium. 

Warframe just loads and loads and stutters for the first few minutes of a mission, not to mention the memory usage is unreasonable (see my most recent thread). The drive access noises are similar to when rebuilding a directory cache or doing a virus scan, it's *that* constant and happens whether I'm hosting or not. I have it on a platter drive but that didn't matter until a few weeks ago, and shouldn't matter now.

As i said, game runs fine, it's that initial stutering that didn't exist before that is causing issues.

3 hours ago, KIREEK said:

As i said, game runs fine, it's that initial stutering that didn't exist before that is causing issues.

As far back as 2016, I've had this issue where people joining a mission temporarily freeze my game - 0 fps for about 1-2 seconds while it loads all their outfits and crap. It was very similar to the same thing happening in the Arsenal and (to this day) a packed Maroo's Bazaar, but at least in that case you  can't get accidentally killed while it's happening.  Do you get that too? I don't think it's at all related but when it combines with these new performance issues, it feels pretty bad. You load into a thing, it starts to stutter while loading the level and UI (Unreal texture streaming isn't usually noticeable during this time)  and then players 2,3,4 join the mission and every single time they do, it halts for a second.  Normally it's me gliding over a gap or mining a rock, and of course those completely fail as a result.

Computer never ever made so much busywork and resource usage before, and it's only in Warframe because I play other (more demanding, more intensive) games without the same issue.  With this plus the recent particle overhaul, I think they've knowingly made older machines obsolete but unknowingly made perfectly competent machines also struggle where they shouldn't.

Edited by Periselene

7 minutes ago, Periselene said:

As far back as 2016, I've had this issue where people joining a mission temporarily freeze my game - 0 fps for about 1-2 seconds while it loads all their outfits and crap. It was very similar to the same thing happening in the Arsenal and (to this day) a packed Maroo's Bazaar, but at least in that case you  can't get accidentally killed while it's happening.  Do you get that too? I don't think it's at all related but when it combines with these new performance issues, it feels pretty bad. You load into a thing, it starts to stutter while loading the level and UI (Unreal texture streaming isn't usually noticeable during this time)  and then players 2,3,4 join the mission and every single time they do, it halts for a second.  Normally it's me gliding over a gap or mining a rock, and of course those completely fail as a result.

Computer never ever made so much busywork and resource usage before, and it's only in Warframe because I play other (more demanding, more intensive) games without the same issue.  With this plus the recent particle overhaul, I think they've knowingly made older machines obsolete but unknowingly made perfectly competent machines also struggle where they shouldn't.

Yes i get that to, it's as you said, loading the players models, textures, armors and stuff, but mine doesn't stop the game for 1 or 2 seconds, it's more 0.2 seconds or so, so it's not so unconfortable as it is with you, i guess my SSD helps on that.

The issue i have now is that on top of that i have this odd stutering for a few seconds even when loading on the liset and it started happening after the old blood update, it feels like i'm loading 15 players all at once and the game does it's best to try and be playable, which it can't, after that initial phase, game jumps in FPS and then resumes the game.

I've not noticed any degradation in performance after that update. If anything, I'm getting less lag in the first few seconds when I go to open world areas

I've a ryzen 3 2200G, 16GB of Ram, a GTX 1050 TI and a Kingston 480GB SSD, I play the game on max settings at 60fps(because of v-sync)

Edited by elpeleq42

Having similar issues here, RTX 2070, Ryzen 7, 16gb ddr4 ram. I used to get 144fps on max settings and now i have to run everything on medium to break 100 in missions and in orb valis and plains i'm getting as low as 60 at times 😞

Hi. I also have same issue, at some point after Lich updates game started acring very weird in terms of loading. I have fairly low spec pc, but I almost never had less then 50 fps unless it's total effect fest, Now the problem is clearly in Loadings, every time I going on a mission on a new location I have MASSIVE fps drop down to 5-6 for 10-15 seconds at the start of a mission which makes movement basically impossible (aswell as I noticed it's making beam weapons not registers most of the hits or something, but that is clearly less important) Going on a same tileset right after the mission cut this time to 1-2 seconds, which is okay, problem is always at the start. Same with going back on orbiter for 10-15 seconds tonnes of stutters with 8-10 fps. But here is a really odd observation: I am running game in borderless window, and if during this insane lag I alt-tab and put task manager on top of the game I can clearly see game running smooth at 50-60 fps with only smallest stutters. My game run better on background during loadings then on foreground.

All other times, aside from loading locations, game acts completelly fine as before, but this bulk, massive loadings makes it really unenjoyable and requirement to wait it out before every mission makes it quite annoying and basically unplayable for those moments.

Also during loads I noticied some random increases in RAM usage, Dont know if that's normal, but during lags RAM usage nonstop goes up by 500-600kb, then lag stops and so does RAM usage drop for around 400mb and everything run smooth again. Dont know if that's related but there is no useless info in that topic I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting random drops in FPS since Railjack, drops to 30fps exactly and my GPU will go to about 70% usage (up from the normal 50%ish). When I say random I mean completely random.

AMD Threadripper 1920x

GTX 1080

32GB of RAM

and zero reasons for this game to be lagging. If I wasn't running V-Sync the game typically runs between 200-400fps. 

On 2019-12-20 at 4:05 AM, TheMetaFace said:

I've been getting random drops in FPS since Railjack, drops to 30fps exactly and my GPU will go to about 70% usage (up from the normal 50%ish). When I say random I mean completely random.

AMD Threadripper 1920x

GTX 1080

32GB of RAM

and zero reasons for this game to be lagging. If I wasn't running V-Sync the game typically runs between 200-400fps. 

100% sure there is something inherently wrong with Railjack's coding.

I get low fps compared to the rest of the game and there is noticable input lag during combat inside grineer crewships or railjack.

Haven't tested cpu usage, but I know for a fact that WF usually loads up on the first two cores(mostly first) and creates a cpu hog despite not utilizing all cores/threads.

Edited by White_Matter

Well, I think that the drops have something to do with the CPU. I can't nail down what, but I've got a Ryzen 5 2600 that I've been running at ~3.9 GHz since I got it. I nudged the speed up to ~4.1GHz and most of the frame drops dropped off. I don't know what they did with Warframe's graphics though, but slightly increasing CPU speed, as well as granting higher CPU priority in the Task Manager helped.

On 2019-12-19 at 7:05 PM, TheMetaFace said:

I've been getting random drops in FPS since Railjack, drops to 30fps exactly and my GPU will go to about 70% usage (up from the normal 50%ish). If I wasn't running V-Sync the game typically runs between 200-400fps.

I see the same problem with some tests of frame rates. The 30 FPS problem happens when output is on the same GPU, with V-Sync on, and as low as 55% GPU usage while at 30 FPS.

Switchable graphics where rendering and output is on different GPU prevent drops to exactly 30 FPS and allows max 100% GPU usage, all while V-sync is on. This is with no adaptive sync (FreeSync, G-Sync) as my capture card doesn't work with it (Elgato Cam link 4k), and my NVidia GT 1030 have no DisplayPort.

It would be nice to see Triple Buffering options in game options to work, like all OpenGL games can force on Triple buffering in NVidia and AMD settings to prevent drops to exactly 30 FPS with render and output are on the same GPU, at a small possible cost of input delay.

Edit: As a bonus option, I like to see launcher option to choose which GPU to render the game on. Primary or any specific GPU that is in my computer.

My computer information.
Warframe 27.0.8
Windows 10 1909
RAM: 32 GB DDR4, 8 GB x 4, at 2933 MT/s
Motherboard: Asus B450-F with HybridGraphics enabled.
AMD Ryzen 2400g with Vega 11, software version 19.30.31.20
NVidia Gt 1030 GDDR5, software version 441.41
SSD NVME Samsung 970 EVO
AMD RX 580 (not used during this video)

Besides the problem of dropping to exactly 30 FPS, I have seen some mini freeze of up to 1 second then unfreeze. Happens mostly in Maroo's Bazaar, sometimes in other relays, Cetus, Fortuna, player join in middle of missions, and Warframe specters.

Edited by sam686

6 hours ago, sam686 said:

Switchable graphics where rendering and output is on different GPU prevent drops to exactly 30 FPS and allows max 100% GPU usage, all while V-sync is on. This is with no adaptive sync (FreeSync, G-Sync) as my capture card doesn't work with it (Elgato Cam link 4k), and my NVidia GT 1030 have no DisplayPort.

So, just checking so I understand this right, you plugged your monitor into your motherboard instead of your GPU to force it to output there, and then had your GPU concentrate purely on rendering? Do I have this right?

4 hours ago, VerminLord722 said:

you plugged your monitor into your motherboard instead of your GPU to force it to output there, and then had your GPU concentrate purely on rendering?

Yes. The output is whatever the monitor is plugged in to.

The rendering can be controlled in windows 10 display settings, graphics settings, classic app, warframe.x86, high performance or power saving GPU. Note that this option is kind of limited to needing integrated graphics, with my Ryzen 2400g with Vega graphics need motherboard settings, press DEL or F1 on power up, with "HybridGraphics" enabled and iGPU as primary.

Edit: removed repeated parts of reply due to double post.

more information is that it requires a CPU with integrated graphics. For Ryzen it requires a CPU with "G" or "With Vega Graphics".

On 2020-01-02 at 9:37 PM, VerminLord722 said:

but I've got a Ryzen 5 2600

This CPU have no integrated graphics (no "G", no Vega graphics), so the motherboard's HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort will not work with this CPU.

Edited by sam686

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue, it seems to me it happens just b4 new content loads up into game, like new area, new part of a quest something to do with the data transfer between zones/scenarios might be that it's setup to load/download/upload too much too quick.