notNSANE

SIAPI / Steam Controller Megathread #2

Note: Previous thread was closed, so had to start another one.

Hi all, I've been using the SC and SIAPI since more than 2 years ago. I have made and released several configurations for dozens of games, so hopefully I'm writing a proper feedback thread. Over the years the SIAPI/BPM implementation of Warframe was a complete rollercoaster, with periods of being fully playable (Since UI update until Melee Phase I patch) and other periods where everything is broken and trying to play the game is a massive obstacle to overcome. I refuse play with KB glyphs since it's very confusing to me, so I need an actual usable controller implementation with controller glyphs.

These are some of the issues that I've found that have a specific relation with the SIAPI system, in no specific order. All these issues have been tested with the Default Controller config and the Default Recommended Steam Controller config by [DE]Jim (which I adapted to my liking later).

iU3TQ5X.png

• Sprint (via Outer Ring Binding) doesn't work as it should anymore: Some patches ago (Q4 2018) the deadzone system was reworked and changed globally. This broke the automatic Outer Ring Binding system for Sprinting. Workaround: Reset the Outer Ring Binding zone to default.
  • Can't Select any users on the Friends and Clan screens: The [A] button doesn't do anything. SIAPI issue. Workaround: Change it to the Legacy [A] Button.
  • Emotes can't be selected on Item Wheel: This has been broken since months ago. Workaround: Change it to the Legacy [RB] Button.
  • Chat takes priority on multiple selection menus: Both Triggers and Bumpers have issues. Minor, but still bugged since months/years ago - https://i.imgur.com/Y8KxCfl.png
  • Steam Overlay randomly breaks: This causes the Overlay to be completely unusable and only solution is to restart the game. What's even worse is that it never closes and it still might send text, causing multiple texts to be sent by mistake. There is no certain way to repro this bug, or to avoid it.
  • Cannot send User Reports: There is currently no way to send user reports becase a button does 2 things (open text dialogue and send report). No workarounds.
  • Cannot use Mod Link and Look Link feature: It adds text to the chat, but pressing X to chat removes that text.
  • Cannot close the Item Shop on Dojos: by pressing Left Analog Click, since that's mapped to "Action 4" and not "Item Popup". Workaround: Map Item Popup to the LAC on the Menu Action Layer.
  • Archwing became almost impossible to control: (unless you go forward 100% of the time) due to the way Sprint is done, this happening on the default configuration.
  • Shawzin is completely non-functional:  with default Steam Controller config by [DE]Jim. Workaround: replace all commands with Legacy bindings.

If you guys have any other bugs (minor or not) please report them here so I can add them to this thread.

FIXED ISSUES LIST

• Non-functional Melee: Basically, it doesn't work as intended. You press once, and then you can't press it again. Melee and everything related to it is 100% broken. There are multiple issues with this one bug and I don't see the point of writing them all since they might get fixed in one go and they're all related on how SIAPI works.
  • "Launcher" Action Set isn't needed anymore: Steam implemented a global config for all launchers. EDIT: It seems it's still needed.
  • Melee Mode Action Set might not be needed anymore: I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the only way that should be used as designed, is when you only have a Melee weapon equipped. This means, no Primary and Secondary weapons, only Melee. But since I can't test this I'm not really sure, up to DE to decide, I thought I'd mention it.
  • Placeholders when using Right Trackpad to move the camera in "Resource Gathering" mode: Just a visual issue, but makes things pretty confusing - https://i.imgur.com/0z6UAs1.png
  • Creator Mode/Hide Password doesn't work on Login screen: Also minor, this toggle simply doesn't work because it's shown on the right.
  • After focus is lost the user must manually left click with the mouse to re-focus: as in, window focus for the operative system, being Windows 10 on this case.
  • Melee is partially fixed but all old configurations are now broken: Due to the Melee Mode Action Set changing native actions and some of them not working anymore, all old configurations are broken. Workaround: Import the default configuration and work from there.
  • Controller Binding screen still mentions "Enter to Melee Mode"https://i.imgur.com/sm7OUmu.jpg
  • Cannot read Tips on Nightwave screen: Pressing RT switches radio, so you can't read more than the first tip - https://i.imgur.com/UDogEBo.png
  • Cannot select Modify Parazon on Kuva Lich menu: The party selector takes precedence. https://i.imgur.com/behkvKr.jpg

Fwx0Ft4.png

I uploaded my personal configuration with all the possible fixes I could do. You can see it here:

O9a30OX.png

Latest updateThe Old Blood mainline release. VERY IMPORTANT: Always always use this version! Come back to this topic to find the latest version.

Copy and paste it to your browser: steam://controllerconfig/230410/1904430034

Edited by notNSANE
Added Shawzin bug and removed other bug that was fixed.
  • Like 2

config link is now posted.

The Old Blood update fixed more issues than the ones it created, so kudos to DE.

Also, I can safely say that this is the very first config where everything actually works as intended, trying to respect the dev's intentions, and there are no underlying bugs on the main gameplay systems (still have to try all the weapons, obviously - there might be some issues with discs).

Edited by notNSANE

Personally I gave up with the configs when melee 2.9 (or whatever it was) dropped that broke them. 

I swapped to this;

21xucpy.png

There is a context layer, full pull on right trigger plus direction on dpad for gear quick items.

new bug. There's no way to close the "Item Shop" in Dojos by pressing Left Analog Click, since that's mapped to "Action 4" and not "Item Popup".

Archwing became almost impossible to control (unless you go forward 100% of the time) due to the way Sprint is done, this happening on the default configuration.

hey @Kapcak, thank you SO much for the Shawzin gift! I didn't actually wanted to but spend like an hour trying the default songs.

So first things first - all Shawzin commands are busted because they forgot to assign the SIAPI commands to them, so for the Shawzin to play any notes, you need to use Legacy bindings. I'll replace them in a future update to my config, probably in some days, to make the Shawzin functional with the Steam Controller.

The Shawzin uses the Menu Action Layer bindings, BTW. They probably meant to add a new Action Layer but they never did.

Added a new bug.

Edited by notNSANE

finally tried Railjack. I'm going to expand on these controller/SC specific bugs but here's a preview:

* Shawzin is obviously broken, already reported.

* When you are piloting, you get locked into the "Menu" Action Set (and can't move) if you go to the options menu and back (press Start twice)

* Tactical Menu doesn't work, needs a rebind.

* Randomly stuck after deploying in "yoga" pose (can even jump in yoga pose!), need to enter the options menu and back to start playing.

* LB and RB don't work in Railjack Customization menu.

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to confirm that I've been having more and more problems with Steam Controller support over the last year. I'll try and list any new things I see in this post 🙂

19 hours ago, notNSANE said:

* When you are piloting, you get locked into the "Menu" Action Set (and can't move) if you go to the options menu and back (press Start twice)

* Tactical Menu doesn't work, needs a rebind.

I can access the Tactical Menu (by manually binding "L"), but it locks into the "Menu" Action Set as you say. The workaround is to bind "Interact" onto an unused button in the menu action set so that you can still escape and re-enter piloting.

• It would be really nice if we could have Railjack and/or Archwing action sets, Railjack has some pretty specific piloting keys that don't bind well in Game.
  • Archwing blink doesn't work to my knowledge (It requires tapping sprint/dodge?)
  • Railjack pilot "boost" is very difficult to use as it relies on sprint (which you mention above)
  • Railjack pilot "drift" is very unclear as it doesn't seem to have an explicit keybind
  • Railjack turret aiming is very difficult as you can't tweak sensitivity nor use gyro aiming as it conflicts with "Game"
  • Cursor position resets to random location on changing tabs in Railjack Customization menu
Edited by Dayshine

Posted (edited)

yeah, I already had to tweak my config with several fixes. I'm going to wait until Scarlet Something releases (should be really soon), then update it here.

Blink does work, just tap once. Railjack Boost is automatic on both default and my config. I'm not having any issues with turrets, using mouse emulation. It seems you might need to reset your settings and SC config to default @Dayshine

Edited by notNSANE

Lack of deadzone setting since the rework essentially means now my ''not entirely flawless'' controllers disrupts any playing (or chatting) 100% of the time in some way or another, or several.

So I have to either make sure I actively subtly press around on my stick to ''find it's actual center'' or not mind seeing my character walking towards the camera all the time, and when I wanna chat? Since interacting with the controller ''makes the game switch to full-controller mode and disables keyboard'' I have to unplug the controller as I have ''constant controller input, thanks to lack of deadzone setting''.

To give you an idea of how I deal with this in, say, another game like Helldivers (since I do see my character walk towards the screen slowly in that game too with default settings):

I go into options there, set deadzone to 5%. That happens to be all I need. And probably all I'd need with Warframe too, if I had the option.

11 hours ago, notNSANE said:

you can config any deadzone you want in a Steam Input configuration @BWS-1

Except I don't run Warframe with Steam.

Oh, OK, but this topic is exclusive to the Steam Controller and Steam Input (its software).

Ah, my bad. I genuinely thought it was a mega thread about controller issues (steam included), and since I saw mentions of the rework*  for deadzone in it as having been the source of some issues, I thought I could mention it here rather than make a new thread about it.

* or I should call that more a removal entirely, judging from how sensitive the thing is I'd say maybe the default in warframe was between 5-15% and the 'rework' only set it to 0 and, it would seem, only a feature through steam is there to work around that