Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fang And Zoren. Worth Using?

Reddington

Question

Yeah, I'm STILL juggling through all these melee weapons, trying to find one that'll suit me. The thing is, I'll never know if a weapon is viable or not until I level it up, maybe potato it, then go up against LV60+ enemies. It was at this point that I realized that Ether Reaper, sadly, wasn't really suited for high level play. x_X

I don't know if there's a DPS or build calculator out there, but I don't know statistically which weapon is more viable. So I thought I'd turn to you guys, who have empirical experience with these weapons: How are the Fang and the Zoren suited for high level play? Wouldn't want to use the weapon, murder everything from LV1-30 with them, only to be disappointed when I can't even scratch the enemy later down the line.

On that note, I also have a pair of Dual Ether. I heard good things about them and am currently leveling it up, but I'll still have Zoren and Fang on my mind for food for thought.

Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Zorens are excellent for unbeatable mobility and escaping from sticky situations with ease. Awful damage; Fangs can beat even crit-modded Zorens on targets that don't have armor (which Zoren doesn't ignore).

Fangs can do this as well, but the distance seems to be cut in half (if even), although still incredibly useful. Fairly good damage.

If you want more damage for a less-powerful but still useable/very controllable Copter ability, I'd say go with Fang Prime if you can get it.

Fang (Prime) does great dps against Grineer, but has NO STAGGER - this is really important to note because squishier frames will be knocked back/cc'd/even killed by the ranged mobs melee attacks.

Zoren is a better choice because it does have a decent stagger rate  9dont think its 100% but due to fast speed its enough to stunlock), but normal attacks dont have armor ignore. The charge spam build is quite effective dps, top 5 melee weapons probably, but requires excellent timing and a lot oc clicking/pressing of buttons.

No, none of them are good against high level enemies. Take a weapon with inherent armor ignore, or just use

charge weapons. But the armor revision may change that, so you could wait and see...

Nopenopenope.

I personally believe that most/all of your damage should come from your guns or warframe abilities.

Melee weapons are rather lacking in damage, and also make your risk getting hit because you'll be up in an enemy's face.

Dual Zorens are the #1 choice for high level missions. When it comes to having fun, it's personal preference, but when it comes to viablility, Zorens are #1.

Dual Zorens are more effective than the Fang. Took me a while to figure it out, and I had used the Fang for MONTHS.

Hmm, could somebody provide damage numbers for the Zoren? I've been trying out both for the past few hours, and for reliable, consistent damage, Fang has served me well.

Though, yes, attacking heavy enemies with Fang is awful, as it tends to result in them beating you back with guns. However, it rips through everything else (Except Infested) apart, especially as Ash.

Zorens I've seen as especially damaging and viable, but it often fluctuates between doing no damage to doing large amounts depending on my luck. Don't know if I appreciate that or not.

Galintine for charged attack builds

Zorens for normal attack

Twin ethers for all around best

Orthos Prime for Ranged normal attack or faster charges then Galintine

The new Galintine is a beast with Ash or Loki. You can still one hit ancients at around 80. 120 is 3 charged attacks. A good Ash / Loki invis crit will 1 hit 120 ancients now. Zorens are amazing at spamming the attack button. If you have berserk the gain god mode against infested. I consider Twin Ethers the best melee in the game. Build for normal attack with both nightmare mods. They have the best slide attack damage in game, and one of the highest DPS normal attacks in the game, they stagger, armor ignore, KD on jump attack, and allow for extreme mobility. Orthos Prime can be build both ways, though the normal attack build is very nice despite not being armor ignore.

If you want more survivability, or dont want to put KD reduction, or are not Rhino you really need stagger weapons if your going to normal attack melee. Ethers shine right out of the box, and just get stronger. I've 3x formed them and ran plenty of tier 3 solo void missions and 2 man high alerts with them. Done the same with Zorens and Orthos / Orthos Prime. Working on the gal now, which is the Gram 2.0

Hmm, could somebody provide damage numbers for the Zoren? I've been trying out both for the past few hours, and for reliable, consistent damage, Fang has served me well.

Though, yes, attacking heavy enemies with Fang is awful, as it tends to result in them beating you back with guns. However, it rips through everything else (Except Infested) apart, especially as Ash.

Zorens I've seen as especially damaging and viable, but it often fluctuates between doing no damage to doing large amounts depending on my luck. Don't know if I appreciate that or not.

You need to get max crit chance and max crit, Zorens have the highest melee crit chance in the game.

If you are wanting info on items, and there stats. http://warframe.wikia.com can be a good place to go.  Though at times, they do get out dated.

I'm not sure on which weapon is the best in regards to doing good damage at High levels.  But which way you mod them will play a key roll.

If your weapon has high critical chance/critical damage. A crit build may be your best option.

But if your weapon has a low chance to critical, go for an elemental build.

In my experience this is how the builds work.

Critical builds go for strong heavy hits with a single attack.  Aiming for those 1000k plus hits.

Elemental builds go for many hits with a single attack.   For example you shoot a guy in the head; and you'll see different sets of numbers, one for your weapon's hit, one for each of the elements you have, one for armor piercing, and so on.  So it's not just one really big hit, but many little hits that add up when combined.  Correct me if I'm wrong in this.

As far as which weapon to chose, depends on what your going for.

For one; are you fighting mobs, or a few. Which warframe you are chose will also play a big roll.

Duel weapons can hit up to 3 guys with one swing.  Some heavy weapons go higher then that, maxing out at 5 guys per swing.  Scindo on the other hand, doesn't have a limit, it hits every guy within the swing; but it is one of the slowest weapons in the game.

The Glave and the Kestrel, can duel purpose as a thrown melee weapon.  And the Glave has Serrated Blade(Armor Ignore) damage when thrown, making it very nice ageist armored opponents.

And if your ever feeling up to learning to master wall attacks. Kogake, have 1000 base damage with it's wall attack, making it possible for them to do some crazy damage.  And I've also heard that Kogake have really nice stun capabilities, but I have yet to truly test that for myself.

Over all I would again recommend http://warframe.wikia.com if you are wanting to learn about each weapon. They also have a weapon comparison on the site.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Comparison

There are also youtube videos about many of the weapons in warframe. Hope that helps.

PS: Some resent changes to the game have not been implemented on the site yet, and there are a few places that are very out dated.  I haven't been with warframe very long so I don't know how often the site updates it's self.

River Spirit

Edited by River-spirit