Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alterante sound for cache

madeskimo

On 2019-11-03 at 6:45 PM, madeskimo said:

add alternate sound for cache sound current sound can not hear it  falls in to sound range can't hear at all even with headphones on. Before  others  bash this post. combat veteran is why can't hear the sound 

Get louder headphones. Or turn up your volume for them. Or turn down the volume of the enemies if you can. 

yup always some one  who gotta be  dumb, turn volume  up say can't turn volume up louder be too loud on other  sounds. when you cant  hear certain sound frequencies you will never  understand what the problem, even conversations with people  hard to hear what there saying cause the sounds fall in void where can't hear. 

• Like 3

It's a valid accessibility issue - subtitles help clear up audio for spoken lines, but omitting a visual cue of any kind for caches does discriminate against hearing-impaired users.

It would be nice if there was some visual cue - perhaps some sort of gleam at the side of the screen? some sort of small-but-not-invisible hud marker? It's where the sound team and the art / UI team need to coordinate for sure. Warframe has done a lot over the years to improve visibility for some aspects for visually-impaired users, but there's always more that could be done.

You get my upvote, for what it's worth - I hope someone at DE feels up to the challenge of looking at this more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Iamabearlulz said:

Probably the best solution for DE to implement would be to layer a lower-frequency sound on top of the existing chime for those who cannot hear the current frequency at all.

That would help but it should have it's own dedicated volume slider, otherwise it would still be drowned out by other things also on the sound effects volume, as are the alert sometimes with Demolyst in disruption. Granted the flashing for Demolyst helps, but even it suffers from a color blind issue for some.

I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

Edited by Nichivo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just came to this section to post this topic. These audio-only alerts really need a visual cue as well for hearing impaired players. Some kind of icon that intensifies as you get closer. E.g. a meter that fills up and down, or a line that vibrates faster. Or even just a number like the mining laser uses. On the regular missions, at least you can find them if you explore enough. (I didn't even realize they made a sound until I had done several of the missions with them.) But on Free Roam missions, especially some Sorties, finding everything within a time limit can be daunting with no cues. I definitely failed a few Bounties before I knew I could just listen for the caches.

Luckily I'm able to hear them, but I do have a hearing deficiency, and tinnitus, so I'm definitely more conscious of it. As a related aside, a friend recently posted a link to the 15 kHz Tone. I can't hear it. Or to be more precise, I can't tell if it's playing or not because that's the sound I have ringing in my ears all the time. It just sounds the same.

For players with limited-range hearing, maybe an option set in the Audio Settings for "Alert Chimes" or something, that lets you adjust the frequency, and/or has a few options to pick from until they find something they're comfortable listening for. (This can be individual for each of Caches, Demolition units, and perhaps the Mining Radar.)

• Like 1

Another instance: when you are tracking an animal and use the Echo Lure, it calls back from the direction it will appear from. Maybe add a blip like the Demolishers have to indicate the direction, so players don't accidentally spook the easily spooked critters.

• Like 1

Here's an idea:
A gear piece that when activated, puts up a visual representation of the sounds played on your HUD. Or even better, somewhere around you in the 3D world and it follows you around.

It should change colors as well as shape so find someone with synesthesia to help paint it. Example in the video below.

The gearpiece would have to be obtained from cephalon Suda, of course.

• Like 1

On 2019-12-20 at 7:50 PM, Uthael said:

Here's an idea:
A gear piece that when activated, puts up a visual representation of the sounds played on your HUD.

I absolutely like this idea.

Been seeing a lot of posts about QOL for players with impairments.
Always happy to see a focus on accessibility, and would welcome this.

Could be something like a meter similar to the hunt caller, that perks up when nearby.
Perhaps an arcane, exilus, or Sentient mod.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (XB1)A Wasted Muffin said:

I think the chime just needs a slight buff. Trying to hear a chime with music blaring and exploding sounds are too much for the ears.

Do as I did and turn the music way down. Stay in the room after you clear the bombards out.

But none of it helped me, either. So I made this Limbo build when looking for caches. Range + efficiency + loot radar + vacuum/fetch.
Regular Loot Radar mods don't detect caches by themselves. But aura does. And regular mods help expand the range of the aura.
Press M to bring out the big map on the screen. Look at the "box" icons representing loot.
Press 4 to destroy all containers. If it's a container that dropped loot, you'll see it moving as it flies from the destroyed container.
Caches (and Ayatan sculptures, btw!) remain in place.
With this technique, you're able to see loot even before you discover the rooms on the map. And if you missed/forgot if something did or did not move, vacuum/fetch helps get rid of it faster. Both work through walls and Fetch even has greater range.

Edit: Don't misunderstand me! I'd very much like to get around that, myself! I just thought it'd help if I left my current solution here.

Edited by Uthael

On 2019-11-03 at 7:45 PM, madeskimo said:

add alternate sound for cache sound current sound can not hear it  falls in to sound range can't hear at all even with headphones on. Before  others  bash this post. combat veteran is why can't hear the sound 

ever played without sound, its imposible to find teh caches, they should just be more supply boxes and other types of meteorites and space junk which in turn can be turned in for items and bounty points with the increase of city cap and new bounties, which i still feel like the ghouls and open world are lacking, the 9,000 limitor is very annoying dead-end for most players to get discouraged, and alot of wares are locked behind strict level rant, but how about some new feature and lasers added, the operators can also have some additional features and widgets for scavenging in caverns, and looking for special loot conversion tools?

as for the eidolon and fortuna caches, there should be some recoil noises added when they are hit by melee or bullets to ricshat and damage realism, AND SHOULD HAVE A OVER SHIELD which is defending paralax mechanism or drone which patrols or shoots at players who go near, in other systems and planets there can be caches that are hidden withotu lotus saying anything at times, these can be found by exploring and completing task might summon a goblin or etherial wisp, some lockers might have a datakey or special symbol to aggregate, i dont think its fair to equip a dragon key and struggle through a large map finding a vault is unrealistically stressful and the rewards are often small if you cant find the lootbox.

also operator sound effects and banter for the melee attack or void blast are extremely lacking variety, no curent ideas, maybe interface uplift for tenno and the orbiter in the theme of sakura and some for men/boys as well so its not just girly. I feel cetus is in need of some festivities and special items outside of the normal seasonal events there is a lack of wares and loot for shopping, i see that darvo is hidden far off in space for watever reason theres room in cetus to add some new NPC's with mods and aughmentatives, hats, and dings for planets to customize and trade points, not just OSTRON STRANDING but other types of items and exchanges which can be beneficial place to recruit players, or encourage PVP and LUNARO with the festive music thems.

"I don't have hearing issues" is not a valid argument against the suggestion made to improve the experience of those that do.
The current sound of the caches has the exact alteration frequency and tonal pitch of my tinnitus. It has been supper weird for years now, and while I found it a funny coincidence, I admit not being able to use the audio cue at all, unless the game volume is set to max - which, as you might have noticed, also increases the volume of other sound effects.
Definitely worth looking into a way of improving the experience in this field. There are many research articles regarding the topic. Willing to provide a handful if needed.
But let's use this topic too to highlight the importance of not limiting hints to that which not all players can benefit from. If colour coding and audio indicators are your choice, at least add a secondary (or tertiary in the case of caches) option. Wasting a mod slot to deal with a physical disability is a bit backwards.

• Like 2

Sound cue-only mechanics like caches or demolysts really need improved or additional visual cues. I personally have trouble hearing the cache chime and distinguishing it from the background noise, especially in tilesets like the void which have a chime-like drone in the ambient track. An actual hud indicator, even if it's just a tiny dot that appears only while in a certain proximity to the cache would be very helpful, because being glued to the minimap isn't exactly fun. I spent a considerable amount of time recently farming void sabotage caches and ended up primarily using the map to find caches because I just could not reliably hear them. 

The demolisher/demolyst flashing is pretty helpful, but it's a bit reliant on being close enough to where it's coming from to see it, which seems to be a smaller range than the audio range for its beeping, so it could be too late to kill it by the time the indicator pops up for some players. Also the red chosen may not be visible to everyone. 

Ramsleds in Empyrean could use a changed indicator as well. Currently they have a little siren, and Cy will call them out (though it could be said too late to matter, and resource callouts will cover transmission subtitles) but the siren can be drowned out by explosions and other transmissions, and they share the same diamond indicator as regular fighters. Usually by the time I hear the siren they're .1 seconds away from punching through the hull. A different shaped indicator could make them easier to track for players unable to hear them coming. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NigglesAU said:

Caches are meant to be looked for. The existing sound(s) and volume is fine. The only time i (imagine a few others do), have issues is if/when i chooae to listen to other music in game - too loud and i cant make out cache sounds at all.

You know how dogs can hear a dog whistle, but humans can't? It's like that, only for sounds you should normally be able to hear. Damaged hearing can reduce the range of frequencies that your ear picks up. Also, some players may be deaf and simply cannot benefit from audio hints. Without the sound cue, you are essentially forced to commit mod slots to loot radar, which is a disparity. And some caches are hidden in secret areas high up that I never would have thought to look for without the sound, even having loot radar on.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NigglesAU said:

So what exactly is DE supposed to do?. A QoL option for people with audio hearing problem is one thing but making caches still challenging to find?.

They are not challenging to find if your goal for that mission is finding caches. I've described the build for that and how to use it.

What should they do? Look at my suggestion that's "Posted December 21". Any gear piece that visualizes the sound is less of a cheat than that. Remembering to use it should be treated the same as deciding to pay attention to the sound.

Ideas proposed by others are also good. Choosing the frequency of the sound, demolyst-style indicators (check in Options you're sound-impaired), I might have missed something else...

That's what they could do.

Edited by Uthael

Demolyst style blips that activate when you're within a certain range would help. And if they just used the white blip and not a flash, they wouldn't necessarily be giving anyone an advantage with how small and easy to miss those can sometimes be.

They're not necessarily difficult to find in their current state, especially not for people who know everywhere they can spawn in a tile or are otherwise searching every bit of the tile anyway, but currently it's still easier for people who can hear the chime to find them. Less of a QoL change to make things nice for everyone and more a change that evens the playing field. No one's asking for an objective marker sized icon or indicator either, just a little something to make it easier to find without the sound. 

The range on an indicator would have to be pretty close for it to be fair, as well as within the tile, but if you're searching for them you're probably walking around each tile even just a little bit.