Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Should Have Patron Style Subscriptions

TheJagji

You aware of Amazon/Twitch Prime loot, right?

But the real question is: Why not have a battlepass system tied into these tiers? With exclusive emotes? And lootbox only items? Plus infinite riven storage which voids them?

Wow... So, heres the thing. As S#&$ as Fallout First is, in terms of pricing, its less than 10 a month. That's less than most MMOs with subs run you for, and all they do is let you play the game.

You realize F76 is a full price broken AAA game with a Deluxe edition?

Noooo, thank you very much! Every game these days wants my subscription fee, charges for a battle pass, lootboxes or some other such nonsense. Warframe is one of the very few Free2Play games where I don't feel pressured into constantly throwing money at the screen. I'm happy to support the game when there's a cool deluxe skin, fun tennogen stuff or when I feel too lazy to grind for some specific thing or another. I don't need yet another F2P-title, which divides everyone into premium players and 2nd class scrubs through an arbitrary sub.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb TheJagji:

You can skip the grind if you like, so this is the first time there giving you a 'pay-to-skip' option for played content that dose this without still needing to do things. You just get the mods. This is NOT the way I would like to see Warframe go, and so I am here to offer a way that will be optional, but still work and might even be better.

Warframe Should Have Patron Style Subscriptions.

I am all in for a monthly subscription and have never understood why DE does not offer something like this. Prime Access is similar to a monthly sub but people tend to get shocked by the huge numbers 4 times a year but 12 times a smaller payment might be more suitable for players that have not so much disposible income.

You said pay-to-skip is new but it has been around for a while. I personally am totally in favor of pay-to-skip because it allows me to play parts of the game I enjoy, sell stuff I find in those missions and then just buy the exessive grind warframes (mesa, grendel, harrow, nidus).  

I play subscription based games, but rarely touch f2p games with a premium membership or whatever each game wants to call it. I prefer my f2p games giving me an option to buy stuff when I want to or have the money to do so instead of making me feel pressured to pay monthly and then on top of that pay for cosmetics etc. So it is a no from me.

11 hours ago, Borg1611 said:

I mean, there are games that mostly just monetize cosmetics, so no, not really. Path of Exile is mostly cosmetics + stash space. If Warframe only sold cosmetics and slots, that would be the equivalent. Instead they sell that stuff + weapons, warframes, relics, credits, boosters, crafting mats, foundry rushing etc. 

We just overlook the massive number of pay to win accelerate systems in this game because it's extremely non competitive and nobody really notices or cares what other people are doing for the most part.

You are overlooking so many factors. One, PoE has paid loot boxes, Warframe eliminated paid loot boxes other than Relic packs. PoE cosmetics are widly overpriced even when they are on sale, Warframe has more reasonable pricing and you get more bang for your buck because you can get discounted or earn plat via trading. Warframe has started giving players ways to get free inventory upgrades, PoE is all paid inventory upgrades. Warframe allows their currency to be traded among via player the driven economy allowing people who DON'T spend money on to buy plat to buy things, PoE does not. Warframe gives players a chance to get SUBSTANTIAL discounts on their premium currency YEAR ROUND.

So, yeah. Your argument of "Just cosmetics and storage = Best and Fairest" falls apart really fast. There are so many factors to take into account when judging how fair a monetization system is besides superficial rhetoric like "Only Cosmetics!"

Edited by Ceryk

57 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

PoE has paid loot boxes

Cosmetic only random boxes are nowhere close to the kind of random loot boxes that contain items relevant to progression or power. 

Warframe has more reasonable pricing

PoE pricing is absurd without discounts, though in a F2P game where they only make money from cosmetics and stash space you can understand why they have to try to make money somehow. PoE could actually benefit from the system I mentioned also though. In addition, I'd never buy platinum in Warframe without a 75% discount, so I wouldn't say it's reasonable baseline either. 

Warframe allows their currency to be traded among via player the driven economy allowing people who DON'T spend money on to buy plat to buy things, PoE does not.

PoE's currency trade doesn't involve buying gear and end-game items like arcanes and rivens. The Warframe plat trade doesn't make it less pay to win, it makes it more pay to win. They also don't add an easily accessible in-game trade system in either game, so you are forced to use third party sites and clumsy outdated trade systems to participate, which is something I hate about both games. 

So, yeah. Your argument of "Just cosmetics and storage = Best and Fairest" falls apart really fast. There are so many factors to take into account when judging how fair a monetization system is besides superficial rhetoric like "Only Cosmetics!"

It doesn't fall apart at all and PoE's business model is far more fair or at least tasteful than Warframes extremely pay to win/accelerate system in the eyes of people who frown upon pay for power/boosts/gear. 

My main point was that your assertion that "Warframe has the single best and most fair monetization model in the history of gaming" is not an opinion that many people would agree with. I don't play Warframe because I think it has the best business model in gaming history or even close to it, I play Warframe because it can be fun and you can put the distasteful business model in the back of your mind. You cringe every time you start a 3 day craft because even though you've given them money, you don't approve of the crap foundry system and aren't going to spend plat to rush something you don't really need immediately anyway since you have dozens of frames and weapons already, you cringe when you see multi-layered RNG systems like the new Lich system because you know a significant reason behind it was to get people to pay to skip, but you just ignore it and move on because you like other things about the game. 

Edited by Borg1611

4 hours ago, niutp said:

You aware of Amazon/Twitch Prime loot, right?

But the real question is: Why not have a battlepass system tied into these tiers? With exclusive emotes? And lootbox only items? Plus infinite riven storage which voids them?

You realize F76 is a full price broken AAA game with a Deluxe edition?

Yes, I am aware of Twich loot, but that is how much going to the DE? Like, its not JUST DE that are part of that.

Nightwave is a battle pass. And DE have said they don't want to tie it to a fee, and on that one, I 100% agree. Its limited time content. Its kinda #*!%ed that you have Fortnight, Apex, Rocket Leage and, as far as I am awre, the game that started it Counter Strike (or at least its the first game that had it that I noticed) all asking you to pay money for something that is limited time only. I don't mind them if there free, but as soon as they are something you have to pay for, then no thanks.

And yes, its a broken piece of S#&$. The fact there trying to get a sub out of it is dumb, BUT looking at what there selling it at, less than 10 a month is ok. And, going from what I have read, it sounds like its creating more content for players than any other update so far, as the Free players are hunting all the Payed players. lol

Edited by TheJagji

13 hours ago, Borg1611 said:

As far as the idea in this thread, I'm not sure that's the way to do a premium sub. If they were to remove most/all pay to win accelerate mechanics from the game (making things more reasonable baseline like faster foundry crafting and better drops since boosters would be gone) in favor of primarily cosmetics + slots and offer a premium sub, I would say the sub tiers would be more along the lines of

tier 1: while subbed you have complete access to all color palettes, fur patterns and other non-deluxe cosmetics 

tier 2: you get all the stuff in T1 + access to all Deluxe cosmetics (edit: and they could throw the cosmetics you currently get from prime access into the deluxe cosmetic category as well)

and maybe if they could work it out logistically, a T3 where you also get access to all tennogen content and DE gives a portion of that monthly sub to the tennogen artists, distributed by some formula based on popularity and usage 

While you're subbed you just get access to all of it. If you unsub and your sub time is over, you lose access to anything you haven't bought outright. Each sub tier could also have a plat income also so you build up the ability to buy the things you like most outright if you ever unsub + for unlocking slots

Changed it a bit, but added it. I did think about TennoGen stuff to start with, but given that its STEAM only on PC still, it would mean that the sub would need to run though STEAM, and that's a piece of it then going to Valve, and there for a 3rd party, witch is something to avoid.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

How about absolutely not. The last thing this game needs is a Fallout 1st style addition.

Its not really a fallout first thing tho... Most MMO's that where original payed sub, and went F2P all have something like this. SWOTOR, as S#&$ of an example as that is, tho it has gotten better over time, and LOTRO, the game I think its the gold stranded in this sort of thing, and the first P2P MMO to switch to a F2P model.

If Bethesda dropped there retail price, and made it full F2P, then it probs be fine. But there not smart enough to get that.

Hmmm .... May be, No I don't know about this but 200 plat is too small of currency you can have ... Also Primed Accessory is always a symbol that someone supporting DE in a way... they should add primed Glyph there in stead haha.

Edited by Fosteri

I've been playing this game since 2015. I will openly say that if any idea like this - that will basically create a division between paying players and non paying players no matter how anybody slices it - EVER releases, the game will go empty as a lot of people will leave.

Warframe's monetization is praised again and again when anybody talks about online games.

I could see this being ok if what ya get would be access to some exclusive chat, maybe an exclusive sigil or some special item related to fashion only but the moment buying this affects your foundry build time then it becomes a hard no.

I could see this working to a degree but overall, I'm sorry, it just sounds like an idea that wasn't completely thought through.

• Like 1

DE is already  making a lot of money, they aren't exactly the poor indie company on the brink of bankruptcy that we supported 6-ish years ago (in which case I'd happily toss them some more cash tho)

They are certainly earning enough money that sullying their reputation with a terrible system like this wouldn't be a good idea especially given how certain mechanics designed to drive people towards plat trading are already being questioned.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

I have personally made a post about how I'm disappointed that  Prime Access pays to skip content.

I only logged in recently for 1 year on switch. I have been an avid PA buyer. But now that I have/had everything I realized how much I liked farming the void/relics. But still want to support and receive exclusive cosmetics from DE.

I personally wish farming and building a set of a Prime item that I paid for would unlock additional cosmetics for those items. Maybe a small lore quest that I could bring friends into.

Its been a while. I was really excited for Wukong and Atlas. But I just can't do it anymore.