Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why The Referral System Was Very Poorly Timed....

Xylia

So, DE decided to add a Referral system to Warframe.

The system itself is an awesome idea! Many MMORPGs on the Market today have something similar and they work off of the same idea -- refer your friends, get awesome rewards, the newbie gets a reward too, and the company gets to enjoy better profits from all the referrals.

However...

Warframe's Referral system couldn't have possibly come at a worse time. If this Referral system would have been implemented in, say, U7 or U8, it would have worked out much better. But face it, ever since U9, we've been making life HELL on Newbies, because....

1). U9 increased the levels of most of the planets, gating most of them behind Earth, which made many weapons impossible to be crafted by newbies, even Rank0 weapons. All weapons except the Orthos require at least one of the following: Nano Spores, Plastids, or Salvage and all of those are found PAST Earth. Before, it was possible to go to Saturn from I believe Mercury and it was Level 10. A newbie could make a Paris, for example, for stealth Grineer missions (I did).

2). U9 removed the "SOLO mode makes less enemies spawn". Ever since U9, Solo mode makes you face just as many enemies as you would with a 2 or 3 person group. This means ALL missions for the Solo Player are MUCH harder.

3). U9 Also made Defense and Mobile Defense nearly impossible for the solo player (they were do-able up to Wave 5 on Kiliken if you knew what you were doing) unless it is Eurasia, and even then you need to be Excalibur and need to be lucky that you don't get disrupted at the wrong time.

4). Late-U9, DE nerfed ammo and energy drops, making missions even harder on newbies who needed all of those blue balls for Slash Dash and Invisibility.

5). Mod Drop 2.0 made essential mods like Redirection only drop at Level 20+ and also made other similar mods incredibly difficult to come by. Nowadays, Newbies can expect to wait clean until Mars/Saturn/Jupiter before they ever increase their Rifle's damage (the best they can do is ammo capacity or reload speed until then).

6). Update 10 nerfed the credit payouts of a lot of places, which now places mind-numbing credit walls in front of newbies to make their lives even more hellish than they already were.

......so.......with all of these roadblocks in front of newbies, and Scott himself saying that he tried the Newbie experience and agrees that it needs serious work.....

DE...

I have to ask you...

What possessed you to release the Referral program RIGHT NOW!?!?

What's happening is that people are recruiting new Ninjas.... and they quit before their 10 missions, and the person who did the referring gets pretty much zip, and the person who tried the game, quit because it just plain is not fun for newbies. A newbie feels powerless and weak when they can't progress on their own, or when they get carried by people and see that they did 2% of the total damage at the end of the mission.

Why on Earth didn't you guys WAIT until AFTER you fixed the Newbie Experience and THEN ask us to recruit people?

At least you had the sense to allow us to get those mods in other methods.....

It was finally ready to be implemented?

Ready to be implemented or not, releasing it before fixing the newbie experience was a horrible, horrible idea.

The newbie experience should have been fixed FIRST, and then we open the doors and call everybody in.

Now, what they're going to get, is a bunch of bad press when these newbies try the game and tell their friends "don't bother, it is a mind-numbing grindfest that isn't very fun" ... which is bad for the game and DE.

I agree with OP. It's just too brutal for beginners right now. And they can't get the "mandatory" mods until much later, and they need the mods to get to that later part.

What you forgot to mention is that the game doesn't explain anything to you besides moving, aiming, meleeing and using powers. I think there's something about health and energy orbs too. That's not enough. The game should explain how to slot mods and powers, what fusing is and how does it work, different damage types and their effects on enemies etc. Now the player has to actively look for this stuff outside the game. God help them if they ask region chat.

For solution I saw someone mention in another thread that they should add damage and armor piercing mods and vitality and redirection as one time mission rewards on mercury. It would also be a great chance to have mod slotting/fusing tutorial.

Not to mention the fact that most people already invited their friends. 

That's a separate issue, one that is found with nearly every MMORPG that comes up with a Referral program, except for those games that started out with them from the beginning.

There's no real way of proving who referred whom and when, so.... this is a little something to help the game grow even further.

Having the mods being exclusive was incredibly silly, and DE eventually did realize this and made the mods obtainable elsewhere, which was a very smart move on their part. Now, it is just a little platinum reward, and an affinity booster, along with mods you can find anywhere.

That way, you're not really "losing" anything, other than the guaranteed mods, when it comes to those friends you already invited.

(forgive my spelling)

If you actually invite people (friends or game buddies from other games) and not just random people (hi i don't know you but click my referal link), i guess you suppossed at least introduce them to this game - help them a bit (general info, farm resourses, etc), give links to read about mechanics.

The things i stated cover at least the half or your entries. That's how i was introduced to this game (post U9) - my buddies that moved into this game before me, helped me to acclimatize here - alerts with useful stuff, void runs, helped me on defence missions while i was playing through the planets.

I got overall picture of the game in like 70-80h.

Also i farmed voids for all the new stuff (Mag, Boar, Dakra, Formas), i have 3 mil. credits now, i thought the payout reduction will be bad, but it actually not so.

One more note - ammo drops was reduced to fix FPS drops.

Edited by Riccoshot

(forgive my spelling)

If you actually invite people (friends or game buddies from other games) and not just random people (hi i don't know you but click my referal link), i guess you suppossed at least introduce them to this game - help them a bit (general info, farm resourses, etc), give links to read about mechanics.

The things i stated cover at least the half or your entries. That's how i was introduced to this game (post U9) - my buddies that moved into this game before me, helped me to acclimatize here - alerts with useful stuff, void runs, helped me on defence missions while i was playing through the planets.

Also i farmed voids for all the new stuff (Mag, Boar, Dakra, Formas), i have 3 mil. credits now, i thought the payout reduction will be bad, but it actually not so.

This isn't related to referral system but what if you discovered this game on your own? Or what if someone wants to strike out on their own? The game pretty much tosses you in the deep end with weighted shoes.

This isn't related to referral system but what if you discovered this game on your own? Or what if someone wants to strike out on their own? The game pretty much tosses you in the deep end with weighted shoes.

I can't help people that don't read any info on this game, some people will search for any info they need, some people will create a thread 'hi guys, this is my lanka build' (potatoed, formaed, no serration, no multishot) - i mean, seriously, rank 7 player, lanka w/o serration & multishot, what is this i don't even.

It's all about, that people who wants to improve, will impove. I got only 10 game failed by now, somebody will have 20, somebody will have 30, but if they will improve their knowledge, they'll become beating this game easilly.

I can't help people who don't want to learn.

I can't help people that don't read any info on this game, some people will search for any info they need, some people will create a thread 'hi guys, this is my lanka build' (potatoed, formaed, no serration, no multishot) - i mean, seriously, rank 7 player, lanka w/o serration & multishot, what is this i don't even.

It's all about, that people who wants to improve, will impove. I got only 10 game failed by now, somebody will have 20, somebody will have 30, but if they will improve their knowledge, they'll become beating this game easilly.

I can't help people who don't want to learn.

My point is, all of this information should be IN the game. I shouldn't have to rummage trough unofficial websites just to find out that Dual Ether deals serrated blade damage, which is different from blade damage. None of this is explained in game. People want to learn but they have nothing to draw information from. 

And as for your example, serration can drop only from grineer scorpions and noxious crawlers. How do I know this? Someone had to datamine for the info first! 

Edited by General_Krull

(forgive my spelling)

Read what I said about "Being Carried and seeing they only did 2% of the damage at the end of the mission".

I went through this crap when I first started Warframe. I was referred by my friend, and I spent the first few weeks at single digits damage. It started out as 2-3% yet I was shooting at peoples' heads like crazy... eventually I saw 6-8% ... and the whole time I was thinking "Wow, I'm pretty useless... I die in a few hits, and I can't hurt a fly."

That's no way to attract newbies. Feeling weak and useless is not the way to start a game.

If you try to solo.... pfft. The game bends you over and uses a bowie knife on you.

EDIT: Before anyone dares to use the "l2play" phrase, I had played Mass Effect 1, 2, and most of 3. I've played Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3:TA, I've played Heretic, Hexen, Unreal Tournament 2k3.

I've played Fallout 3, Fallout: NV.

I'm no stranger to first/third person shooters, including ones where headshots are king. I knew that I had to shoot Grineer in the head. The problem is that the MK1 is such a useless gun, and the Pistol isn't much better until you get it modded, that you just aren't doing any damage. Ooo, you can hit for 12 damage every 0.75 seconds or some-such. That friend who referred you? He does 500+ damage every half-second. Even if he brings an unranked weapon, he still has access to better weapons than you do. Unranked Soma? No contest. Unranked Dera? No Contest. Unranked Acrid? HAHA. Unranked Ogris? LOL.

Edited by Xylia

My point is, all of this information should be IN the game. I shouldn't have to rummage trough unofficial websites just to find out that Dual Ether deals serrated blade damage, which is different from blade damage. None of this is explained in game. People want to learn but they have nothing to draw information from. 

And as for your example, serration can drop only from grineer scorpions and noxious crawlers. How do I know this? Someone had to datamine for the info first! 

As a newer player to the game I completely agree.  The game was a learning wall not curve and any AAA game, Game of the Year and the best inde games I have ever played that fully kept my interest has always had on point complete tutorials section in the game.

That's no way to attract newbies. Feeling weak and useless is not the way to start a game.

Not so. Why then my friends whom i invited here stated 'oh, guys i'm useless' as a joke, rather then quit the game silently?

My point is, all of this information should be IN the game. 

Yes it should. Now we have a new UI, and people going crazy with 'the cake is a lie, my rhino has only 25 armor', cuase they believe everything that they see on the screen.

Probably better to try create some king of library of knowledges here on the forums, though i don't know DE state on datamined info here.

Not so. Why then my friends whom i invited here stated 'oh, guys i'm useless' as a joke, rather then quit the game silently?

It might start out as a joke, but seriously? A few missions doing 1% of the damage is a joke.

20+ missions later, you're still dealing crap damage because you're still not up to where you can contribute (unless you get carried into places you shouldn't be yet), then it is like "Uh, when do I actually stop being useless?"

another 20 missions and it is ".... this is getting old. Can I please get strong enough to actually kill something now without having to be carried everywhere?"

It might start out as a joke, but seriously? A few missions doing 1% of the damage is a joke.

They need to scrap the Mk1-braton because it not even useable and it can not reasonable carry someone till they upgrade. The tutorial should give a new player much better starting weapon so they can at least get past earth. I seriously think the Mk1-braton is sales scheme of giving the player a gun so absolutely worthless they have to use the market and buy ANY weapon with platinum. 

The unreasonable difficulty curve is almost all due to the tool given to the player in inadequate to learn the game. At least back when I started it was painful, but possible to grind out earth to make a boltor without getting another weapon first. I was just goofing around with a new account and I forgot just how horrid that mk1-braton is.

This issues of bad first new player experience should take priority over a lot of other stuff. That promotional deal giving players a braton from the Iah- games is a VERY good idea. If they took a look at just giving ALL new players a already catalyst braton it would allow new players to at least contribute. Having essential mods as part of the tutorial wouldn't hurt either and would show people how the mod system worked.

They need to scrap the Mk1-braton because it not even useable and it can not reasonable carry someone till they upgrade. The tutorial should give a new player much better starting weapon so they can at least get past earth. I seriously think the Mk1-braton is sales scheme of giving the player a gun so absolutely worthless they have to use the market and buy ANY weapon with platinum. 

The unreasonable difficulty curve is almost all due to the tool given to the player in inadequate to learn the game. At least back when I started it was painful, but possible to grind out earth to make a boltor without getting another weapon first. I was just goofing around with a new account and I forgot just how horrid that mk1-braton is.

This issues of bad first new player experience should take priority over a lot of other stuff. That promotional deal giving players a braton from the Iah- games is a VERY good idea. If they took a look at just giving ALL new players a already catalyst braton it would allow new players to at least contribute. Having essential mods as part of the tutorial wouldn't hurt either and would show people how the mod system worked.

I dunno about giving everybody a Catalyst Braton.

Replacing the MK1 with the Braton after the Tutorial or sometime in Mercury? Sure! That makes sense. But.....potato it? Uh, I dunno. That might be a bit much.

Also..... a Damage Mod needs to drop sooner than the End of Earth... lol. Even a regular Braton with no damage mods is LOL-worthy once you get past Venus. It is Almost useless on Earth, and your freaking Lato will out-damage it because you have Heated Charge and Convulsion on it (and No Return can be found on Venus).

This is why your first goals as a newbie, are...

1). Get Braton

2). Get Rank 2

3). Get Orthos

4). Get to Saturn

5). Get Kunai

6). Get Rhino

7). ???

8). Profit!

But how many newbies actually know this?

EDIT: A tutorial could be done as the Rank 0->1 test. Make it a long one where you are taken through a level that covers everything you should have learned thusfar, complete with UI demonstrations of how to mod, and how to use a potato.

During this tutorial, you could be given a potato and a braton and you could use said potato on that braton. But only after you pass the solo test.

Edited by Xylia

20+ missions later, you're still dealing crap damage because you're still not up to where you can contribute (unless you get carried into places you shouldn't be yet), then it is like "Uh, when do I actually stop being useless?"

I don't know from which point of view you speaking, but i speaking from the point of 3 people whom i brought here.

At the point of 20+ (or more) missions you will be able to take something else.

Don't forget about skills, Mag's Pull is good room cleaner now and it's not the only one useful skill from all the starters.

You can roll with starters (frames and weapons) pretty good when they're upgraded (even a bit).

New player already will be able to build a Boltor after he/she unlocks first Mars mission, with Boltor you can absolutely free play levels like 50.

For me, while being newbie only corpus defences (level 35 and higher) were bad (in duo with my buddy). Everything else is really not that big troubles what you describe. 

I don't know from which point of view you speaking, but i speaking from the point of 3 people whom i brought here.

At the point of 20+ (or more) missions you will be able to take something else.

Don't forget about skills, Mag's Pull is good room cleaner now and it's not the only one useful skill from all the starters.

You can roll with starters (frames and weapons) pretty good when they're upgraded (even a bit).

New player already will be able to build a Boltor after he/she unlocks first Mars mission, with Boltor you can absolutely free play levels like 50.

For me, while being newbie only corpus defences (level 35 and higher) were bad (in duo with my buddy). Everything else is really not that big troubles what you describe. 

Depends on whether or not you're being carried.

Try starting a newbie account, and try doing that stuff without high level help. Try taking a Braton with no damage mods, and a Lato with nothing but heated charge/convulsion to Earth, solo and see what happens. Try surviving until late Jupiter with no Redirection. Try grinding up the 4,000 Nano Spores for Kunai on Saturn when those guys kill you in <5 seconds if they get the chance.

I did that, and I saw how much Post-u9 sucks.

And try to remember, some people have NAT problems and are forced to solo, some people have unreliable connections, some people are only able to log on at weird times, sometimes there's nobody doing the mission you need, blah blah blah. The game needs to be viable solo, too.

Edited by Xylia

Depends on whether or not you're being carried.

Try starting a newbie account, and try doing that stuff without high level help. Try taking a Braton with no damage mods, and a Lato with nothing but heated charge/convulsion to Earth, solo and see what happens. Try surviving until late Jupiter with no Redirection. Try grinding up the 4,000 Nano Spores for Kunai on Saturn when those guys kill you in <5 seconds if they get the chance.

I did that, and I saw how much Post-u9 sucks.

And try to remember, some people have NAT problems and are forced to solo, some people have unreliable connections, some people are only able to log on at weird times, sometimes there's nobody doing the mission you need, blah blah blah. The game needs to be viable solo, too.

I never considering extreme circumstances like these.

You still have abilities, you still have weapons in shop (as i stated Boltor is available as quick as you reach Mars)

And don't forget about newbie best friend - Shade, if you didn't get CM before Neptune or Europe, well as i said - it's extreme circumstances and i can't consider this as every player behavior.

If you think that i walked through all game with all thing maxed it is not correct.

I duo'ed (except defences level 50 and higher) through all the planets (except Pluto) with my buddy.

btw, i can give it a try, don't even need to start a new acc, cause i can simply unequip all the mods

Edited by Riccoshot