Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Zaws (and other custom items) Modular.

Callback

The melee changes are huge.  Combinations of parts that worked well before are weaker now, and combinations that were weak before have become relatively stronger.

It's time to give us what what was initially promised in a modular weapon.  Let us swap out the grip and links on our existing zaws.  Even if we have to re-gild it (with no bonus polarity beyond the first time), that's fine.  We just want a way to adjust our arsenal that we have invested our catalysts, forma, and lenses into instead of being forced to start from scratch for a minor tweak to these supposedly modular weapons.

Edited by Callback
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Callback said:

Combinations of parts that worked well before are much weaker now, and combinations that were weak before have become relatively stronger.

Odd, my Zaw Dagger that was already Strong just got much stronger.

29 minutes ago, Callback said:

It's time to give us what what was initially promised in a modular weapon.  Let us swap out the grip and links on our existing zaws.

I dont remember this being promised, i did see people asking for it. Mind showing where they promised it?

5 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Mind showing where they promised it?

They promised it when they called them "modular."  That means freely interchangeable parts.  The ability to reconfigure.  What we got was simply "custom" weapons.  Built to spec, but no flexibility once made.

Edited by Callback

2 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

I dont remember this being promised, i did see people asking for it. Mind showing where they promised it?

I can't remember exactly but like every stream before release the said modular weapons and that you would be able to switch stuff out if the word modular wasn't enough Steve saying you can switch pieces out should have been.

• Like 1

While it would be interesting to have the option to switch out parts just for the sake of an extra mechanic, it really isn't quite necessary. You get clear info on what each part does so you can make an informed decision prior to deciding on building. If you decide not to like what you've achieved, do not invest resources into it but rather further your experimentation, which is rather easy due to the low cost and ease of obtaining of other parts. It's a straightforward system that is as complete as one can get. 
On another note, "Modular" is not synonymous to "interchangeable". If a thing is modular, it means that it has been made from pre-made parts. The confusion with the definition might be coming from the design sector which is constantly striving for innovation and introducing the ability to switch broken parts easily or allow building upon or around the existing module - such as with pre-made housing: if your wall falls, you can order another, identical to the one that fell and it will be replaced. Or modular cables: instead of having a box with a cable leading to a socket, you have a box and a cable that leads both to the box and to the socket so more options are available. Elements being modular allows various combinations, as zaws and kitguns do, but having the option of switching out said elements is not within the frame of definition.
As for what the developers "promised", where I use the definition of the word given by this thread matching the definition of "mentioned", rather than the common one that comes from someone giving a promise, the idea of the parts being interchangeable was never introduced.