Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DYBBUK - The Possessor - Our new warframe concept (with art!)

yairsarig

Hey guys,

So I was talking to a friend (Shlano) about warframes we like and we came up with something we think is quite unique. I'll let you be the judge. I'd like to note that while modelling and drawing this warframe we tried to show everything as if Dybbuk is actually in the game, including the UI elements and the Arsenal pieces. So here goes:

Dybbuk - The Possessor

During the great war many Warrames were created. First came the prototypes. Then, as the creators grew bolder and surer of their craft the elemental Warframes arrived. By the end, left over fragments and lost pieces of the mechanical wonders were spread far and wide, dotting the stars with treasures.

And then the war ended, and from the lost fragments DYBBUK was formed. A Warframe out of time and out of place with no sense of self, DYBBUK utilizes parts and pieces from his brothers and enemies alike to fuel his abilities.

d4.jpg

Background

DYBBUK was created to be a very versatile frame. It’s important to note that Dybbuk is built from pieces of other Warframes and uses those as his “husk”. When his abilities activate he will leave this cobbled body behind and reform it when his abilities effects end. His abilities lend themselves to stealth as easily as defence. This powerhouse of a Warframe uses his enemies and friends alike in unique ways to change the way you play the game and to give you a completely new experience. From doing stealth missions in a way more akin to stealth games like THIEF to a different take on wall latching and dashing that is not dissimilar to SPIDERMAN walking on walls. Of course, you can choose to play this Warframe in the tankiest way possible and enjoy him to your heart’s content.

Stats

Health 100 (250 at rank 30)

Shield 75 (265 at rank 30)

Armor 75 (150 at rank 30)

Energy 150

Sprint 1.0

d5.jpg

Abilities

1. Dislocate

Dybbuk dashes through his opponent, stealing a limb or a piece of armor from an enemy and healing himself, while leaving the enemy drenched in corrosive damage. Each limb stolen from enemies adds to the Paradigm Stacks used to fuel his abilities.

Ability base stats: 1 stack added to your paradigm counter. For every enemy you pass through using this ability. Every enemy you pass through using this ability suffers from base of 100 corrosive damage per second for 3 seconds.

2. Overcome

Dybbuk leaves his husk and launches himself into a chosen enemy, borrowing deep into them and taking over its body and spirit, making it his own while simultaneously leeching their life force. While dybbuk possesses a host he will heal a base of 9 health per second.

Using this ability allows Dybbuk to go unnoticed in any level. While inhabiting a body, Dybbuk is immune to detection by enemies, traps, or lasers as long as he does not perform any hostile action. Performing such actions will throw Dybbuk out of his current host immediately and leave the host with corrosive damage.

Using this ability while in a host will make Dybbuk jump to the closest host and leave the original host with corrosive damage.

Using this ability on walls or surfaces allows Dybbuk to latch onto them and stick or even move on walls or even ceilings unimpeded.

Ability base stats: 35 energy drain when activating the ability, 3 energy drain per second while using the ability and 15 energy drain when jumping to a new host. IMPORTANT NOTE: PARADIGM

To understand the next two abilities, we first need to address the PARADIGM.

d3.jpg

So what is it? Just like exalted weapons, the Paradigm appears in your arsenal as its own tab. Unlike exalted weapons, it contains only 4 places to place things divided in the following way:

a. 3 slots for mods marked to activate when the third ability activates with 10/20/30 paradigm stacks.

b. 1 slot for a chosen Warframe blueprint to assist with the 4th ability.

Ok, now we can move forward.

3. Corrupted Armory

Charge your weapon with primal energy from your Paradigm by expanding Paradigm Stacks. For every 10 stacks expended you paradigm will activate one of your chosen paradigm bonuses. The bonuses are subject to energy drain.

So in essence you put 3 modes in your Paradigm. These mods can be anything, even if already used on your primary or secondary but the Paradigm itself cannot contain any duplicates. Once you activate the ability, if you have 10-19 stacks you’ll get the first stack bonus only and only one mod will activate. 20-29 stacks will get you 2 bonus Paradigm mods and 30 and above will give you all the Paradigm bonuses while using your selected weapon.

Note that any and all weapon mods can be placed in the paradigm,  so if you want one mod for melee and two for your primary weapon - it’s left up to you, making Corrupted Armory the most versatile weapon enhancement in the game.

4.Adaptive Absorption

Calling on the power of soulless Warframe fragments, Dybbuk projects an imperfect imitation of their abilities. All imitated abilities gain corrosive damage.

To use this ability you have to place a Warframe part blueprint in your Paradigm. Placing the right part is important as every Warframe ability is tied to a specific part like so:

• Warframe BLUEPRINT - 1st power
  • Chassis blueprint - 2nd power.
  • Systems blueprint - 3rd power.
  • Neuroptics blueprint - 4th power.

Example: If you want to use Dybbuk version of Frosts’ globe you’ll need to place a Frost Systems blueprint in the Paradigm to activate it, which will result in Dybbuk having a corrosive globe as his 4th ability.

Player can hold down the 4th ability key for 5 consecutive seconds to disable his Paradigm Warframe piece in order to gain a huge one time corrosive buff that lasts for 90 seconds. If activated, this Sacrifice will render Dybbuk 4th ability useless for the rest of the mission.

Please note: activating the 4th ability in that way does not destroy the warframe part in the PARADIGM. the part, and associated power will be enabled for normal use again at the begining of your next mission.

Passive Ability: DYBBUK leaves a trail of corrosive energy behind him. the trail can be no longer then 10 feet.

-------

Ok, I hope you all enjoy this, so tell us what you think.

Edited by yairsarig
  • Like 2

First oh, this is one of the most creative concepts I've seen around here. 

31 minutes ago, yairsarig said:

Adaptive Absorption

Calling on the power of soulless Warframe fragments, Dybbuk projects an imperfect imitation of their abilities. All imitated abilities gain corrosive damage.

To use this ability you have to place a Warframe part blueprint in your Paradigm. Placing the right part is important as every Warframe ability is tied to a specific part like so:

• Warframe BLUEPRINT - 1st power
  • Chassis blueprint - 2nd power.
  • Systems blueprint - 3rd power.
  • Neuroptics blueprint - 4th power.

I love this Idea , it is the best implementation of modular frame I've ever seen but a skill like this just gives him to much. For exemple:

you just unemployed Chroma from eidolon hunts , because he has vex armor but can use more mods , meaning he can deal more damage than Chrona.

You also unemployed day equinox because he has his 4 but with corrosive damage.

It also has quite a few road blocks when it comes to it's implementation. For example.

Also some abilities don't work at all. For example ember 2 would not do anything.

Or some abilities won't work properly like nidus 1 ( it deal a small amount of damage but can't build stacks becaise there is no passive )

Impressive creation & artwork !

Just 3 notes:
1- What should be the Passive for such warframe?

2- Overcome - it will only be a defensive (regen + stealth) ability ?
The issue that DE will see is the issue to possess non-humanoid units + there is the topic "Maneuvers" (no double-jump, no sliding, no wall-dash)
And will the enemies start attacking the possessed unit when they are on full-alert / they see Dybbuk acting ?

3- About the blueprint... I'm okay with the overloading-mechanic & the disabled ability after using (maybe adding a cooldown only?) - isn't it a bit too much the ... pure destruction of the blueprint itself ?
(side question : Dybbuk is made of "parts", why using "blueprint" and not "built parts" ?)

10 minutes ago, keikogi said:

First oh, this is one of the most creative concepts I've seen around here. 

I love this Idea , it is the best implementation of modular frame I've ever seen

first of all, thanks. 

30 minutes ago, keikogi said:

but a skill like this just gives him to much. For exemple:

you just unemployed Chroma from eidolon hunts , because he has vex armor but can use more mods , meaning he can deal more damage than Chrona.

You also unemployed day equinox because he has his 4 but with corrosive damage.

I agree with you 100% on that. And that's the whole point. No one uses all the frames in the game. Everyone has preferred frames. Me, I don't like chroma so i wouldn't mind that specific change, but more to your point: the fact that it unemploys a frame is not a bad thing, it just shows even more how versatile this frame is.

If you think about it I n a different way, it's not about unemploying a frame but instead about employing a new abilities combination. For example, you could say that it takes over frost's glob and makes him obsolete, but on the other hand, when I use Frost o use all of his abilities in tandem and by using his 3rd and 4th a lot I gain better defense than with just a corrosive variant of one.

31 minutes ago, keikogi said:

It also has quite a few road blocks when it comes to it's implementation. For example.

As for implementing it: it's less of a problem than you think. With the new Parazon screen it not too problematic to get the UI there. As for the programming – I have an estimation, and that is reasonable also, at least in my mind, considering that a new frame take the DE team about 3 months from start to finish.

31 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Also some abilities don't work at all. For example ember 2 would not do anything.

Or some abilities won't work properly like nidus 1 ( it deal a small amount of damage but can't build stacks becaise there is no passive )

We actually have a solution for that that we debated if to include in the main post here, but here it is:

Simply put, not all abilities work. Some warframe abilities that are charge/stacks/gage dependant will not work and when the corosponding blueprint is inserted into the PARADIGM slot it will simply refuse and say that DYBBUK can't use this blueprint as his corospondig circuts are corrupted. This also adds a discovery aspect to DYBBUKs powers that (not unlike Octavia) will take time to masted and discover all its veriants.

Obviously, this is all ideas. There can be many ways to circumvent these problems – this is just the one we came up with.

19 minutes ago, Umbriellan said:

Impressive creation & artwork !

Just 3 notes:
1- What should be the Passive for such warframe?

2- Overcome - it will only be a defensive (regen + stealth) ability ?
The issue that DE will see is the issue to possess non-humanoid units + there is the topic "Maneuvers" (no double-jump, no sliding, no wall-dash)
And will the enemies start attacking the possessed unit when they are on full-alert / they see Dybbuk acting ?

3- About the blueprint... I'm okay with the overloading-mechanic & the disabled ability after using (maybe adding a cooldown only?) - isn't it a bit too much the ... pure destruction of the blueprint itself ?
(side question : Dybbuk is made of "parts", why using "blueprint" and not "built parts" ?)

Thanks!

1. The passive is (and I can't believe we forgot to write (editing the post now) that DYBBUK leaves corrosive trail behind him that damages enemies (very close to what Nezha does but corrosive and with 10 feet length only)

2.This depends on your playstyle. as long as DYBBUK is inside a host he can run and jump (like normal units but a bit faster) and enemies will not attack the possessed enemy even if they see him acting as, for them, he just collapses and dies in a pile of parts. if anything, this lends itself to lowered alert status as the think the enemy is dead. if you want DYBBUK to run, jump and be generally all over the place you can just use OVERCOME on walls and celling and you get SPIDERMAN like wall and ceiling movement. you can also, as i mentioned, play him very aggressively and that way you pop in and out of units and contribute to the growing mayhem.

3.The 4th ability is not destroying the part in normal uses. you press the 4th and get the ability variant. if you hold the 4th for 5 seconds you choose to destroy the blueprint in exchange for a massive one time corrosive buff. Normal uses of this ability will not destroy the blueprint in the PARADIGM.

side answer: easy. you collect a lot of blueprints and that's what you get from missions. building parts is just a hustle. 🙂 we want you to have options, and experiment with it.

Edited by yairsarig
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, yairsarig said:

ee with you 100% on that. And that's the whole point. No one uses all the frames in the game. Everyone has preferred frames. Me, I don't like chroma so i wouldn't mind that specific change, but more to your point: the fact that it unemploys a frame is not a bad thing, it just shows even more how versatile this frame is.

If you think about it I n a different way, it's not about unemploying a frame but instead about employing a new abilities combination. For example, you could say that it takes over frost's glob and makes him obsolete, but on the other hand, when I use Frost o use all of his abilities in tandem and by using his 3rd and 4th a lot I gain better defense than with just a corrosive variant of one.

To be fair if frame only has one good skill it is a problem in the desing of that frame not in the design Dybbuk. Also his base stats are quite low so he can't abuse defensive skill.

40 minutes ago, yairsarig said:

The 4th ability is not destroying the part in normal uses. you press the 4th and get the ability variant. if you hold the 4th for 5 seconds you choose to destroy the blueprint in exchange for a massive one time corrosive buff. Normal uses of this ability will not destroy the blueprint in the PARADIGM.

side answer: easy. you collect a lot of blueprints and that's what you get from missions. building parts is just a hustle. 🙂 we want you to have options, and experiment with it.

Even dought it is a choice , it a really annoying one. Some parts and blur print are a pain in the ass to farm so destroying them is a bad call 99,9 % of the time. Disabling the skill until extraction is a resonable compromise.

Edited by keikogi

10 minutes ago, keikogi said:

To be fair if frame only has one good skill it is a problem in the desing of that frame not in the design Dybbuk. Also his base stats are quite low so he can't abuse defensive skill.

Even dought it is a choice , it a really annoying one. Some parts and blur print are a pain in the ass to farm so destroying them is a bad call 99,9 % of the time. Disabling the skill until extraction is a resonable compromise.

you know what? i think you're correct. editing the main post to include this.

2 hours ago, yairsarig said:

So you can only copy 1 ability from each warframe to his 1st?

Cause i was getting ready to say that you do realize we can build multiple warframes meaning we can make this one 40 times for every warframe. Only downside of using this warframe over others would be energy in that case, but energy only limits us by so much so ot could also just be near a straight up upgrade to every warframe 🤔

Unless, like excalibur umbra, we could only get 1 of this warframe

Edited by (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII

So I’m guessing you’ve seen the movie The Possession, because a dybbuk was the main antagonist in the movie. Maybe we can get a story quest based off of Corpus or Grineer accidentally releasing it from imprisonment. It goes on a supernatural troublemaking spree, and during the quest, you learn that it’s a spirit from the Void, akin to the *censored to prevent spoilers*, and his mischief making during the time of the Orokin reached its height when it possessed a Warframe.

3 minutes ago, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

So I’m guessing you’ve seen the movie The Possession, because a dybbuk was the main antagonist in the movie. Maybe we can get a story quest based off of Corpus or Grineer accidentally releasing it from imprisonment. It goes on a supernatural troublemaking spree, and during the quest, you learn that it’s a spirit from the Void, akin to the *censored to prevent spoilers*, and his mischief making during the time of the Orokin reached its height when it possessed a Warframe.

I have not seen The Possession. I just watched the trailer, though, and i think i understand where the confusion stems from. DYBBUK is the name given to a possesive spirit in the Jewish calture, and the DYBBUK Warframe was moddeled after its legend of possesing people. 

As for the lore behind it, DYBBUK is the last warframe made after the war. it was mad from the last pieces of the other warframe (you can see parts of excaliber, hydroid, mesa prime, rhino and more hidden in its design) it was built to use the broken pieces of others to avenge the warframes of old and to take revenge for the tenno.