Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there a warframe that can Solo all of Grendel's missions

Starbomber109

So, I'm a solo player largely, I'm part of a clan with 2 people and I don't have a large reserve of friends to call on when stupid missions come out, but I am, if nothing else, a massacist, and committed to farming whatever frames I can myself.  On that note, I'm having a lot of trouble with Grendel's missions.  It reminds me of when I was trying to go through Jupiter and only my Excalibur had a potato, I had to rely on pug teams to carry me through most of the missions. (Why couldn't one of these have been a spy mission?)

What I want to ask is, what frames can solo these missions?  The survival I got really far with Wisp and with Inaros, the problem is about 15 minutes in I started running out of life support.  I just can't kill the enemies fast enough.  I don't know if I'm just not selecting the right weapons or if I just need to get better at dispatching enemies somehow.  There's not really tactics to use at that point because I don't have a gun that kills those enemies quickly enough I just have to rely on my melee weapon

I haven't tried the excavation or defense yet.  I have some idea for the defense solo, but I don't know if it will work.  The excavation is technically easy you just have to never finish an excavator.

What have other tenno had success with?  On a side note, what warframe could survive in Mott with no mods/void mode for 20 mins (Also, are passives turned off?  Or can we just not press 5, because Naruman would be kinda cool and the other passives from Unaru that increase armor would actually be pretty nice in this very specific scenario.)

• Like 1

I have soloed all 3 with hildryn+ sonicor, melee is up to your choice but I would reccomand one with toxin damage, for the defence you do need to use some tactic of keeping one enemy bounced around for the pod to regen if it gets damaged too badly, survival is mainly killing opening caches and using ls, and excavation is well... just run around...

hildryn ability to do damage on sight + drain shields to keep up that damage is amazingly useful solo, not to mention her passive keeping her alive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starbomber109 said:

The survival I got really far with Wisp and with Inaros, the problem is about 15 minutes in I started running out of life support

To counteract this you would need to have a Nekros. This is unlikely to work particularly well if you’re solo. Your other option is to be more efficient. If you cannot kill enough enemies you won’t get LS, but being solo already reduces spawns.

Run it on Public, or recruit people from chat. I would suggest you don’t waste your time trying to solo it. I am sure it is possible to solo, but it just isn’t worth the effort.

• Like 2

I solo'd the survival using Nekros myself. I found using new heavy melee attacks to be very effective when used in a ground slam, it not only CCs enemies but deals a fair amount of damage with a decent weapon. I used shield of shadows augment and despoil augments (which work in no mod mode). Only issue with Nekros was having only 300 hp but the ground slam can be used behind walls for safety.

For excavtion and  defence I used Wisp and her motes with the above heavy melee ground slamming to kill enemies. I did try Wisp in survival but failed with 24 seconds to go and swapped to Nekros.

12 minutes ago, Starbomber109 said:

Also, are passives turned off?  Or can we just not press 5

There is no operator or mods in these missions. So that's why 5 doesn't work because your operator has been "unequipped" which is real BS in the lore of things. 

These missions are just gross but my two cents are nekros for survival, and frost for excavation / defense.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Run it on Public

There already aren't enough people running this mission 😛

I didn't know that support drops were dependent on enemy kills though.  Also that's a bummer about operators, I'd really like a few extra passives even if I can't dash or use mines or other stuff.

Edit: Also, people telling me to run this in groups, Warframe has a "solo" option.  It should be at least possible to complete all mission types solo.  I expect it to be hard.

Edited by Starbomber109

Update, been trying for 3 days on this survival, I don't have Hildryn yet and I hear that's the normal way to clear that mission....but I wondered, if it was mathematically impossible to finish the mission.

A survival mission lasts 1200 seconds (20 minutes), You begin the game with 100% life support and it drains at a rate of 1% every 1.5 seconds, that means you have 150 seconds at the start of the mission.  Every canister gives you 30% (90 seconds) (45 Seconds)and if the wiki is correct, you get 13 canisters of the course of a 20 minute mission.  That means that, the Lotus gives you only 585 seconds of survival, less than half the time.  So that means, we need another 615 seconds.  Every canister dropped from an enemy, gives you 5% life support (7 seconds.) so this means we need to kill about 88 enemies to get to the end, simple right?  Well it would be if every single enemy dropped Life Support.  The drop rate for life support modules is...hidden? (can't find it)  Let's assume it's 25%, so that means for every four enemies, we get on average 1 life support module (I have a feeling the drop rate is actually worse than this, but I might be wrong, when I do find the actual drop rate I'll update this post)

That means over the course of this mission we need to kill 352 enemies in total.  Or about 17 enemies per minute, to have a chance at finishing this mission.  Early on I think this is easy, it's the Corpus Techs that are a big problem (at least for me) as well as the Oxium Osprays because they have a lot of armor.  Solo it complicates things because the spawn rate is lower.

edit2: Given my own experience and the experience of others in this thread, the 17 enemies per minute might be a harsh estimate.  It seems like the drop rate for life support is more like 1/3rd of the time (~33%)  Of course, there is also the fact that opening lockers and breaking cans also has a chance to give life support.  I'd say shoot for 12 enemies per minute, if you get lucky you might only need as low as 8 per minute, but 12 should do just fine and is achievable even for 2nd tier frames like Mirage 😛

Edited by Starbomber109

3 minutes ago, Starbomber109 said:

Every canister gives you 30% (90 seconds)

I think you made a mistake. If 1% = 1.5 seconds this would be 45 seconds for 30%, not 90 seconds. You do get the correct number of seconds total though (13 * 45 = 585s). 

This does seem like it will be a tough task the longer you stay. You might be able to do it with loot manipulation (Nekros) but that has it's own problems. Some things to consider:

• Don't waste capsules. If they come every set period, make sure you are using them.
  • Capsules actually can give 32%. You just activate them on ~1% remaining and you get extra to account for activation time. This will be a quite risky in this mission. But you would get around 40 seconds of extra time.

It does seem like it could be possible. You would need an optimal setup though. I wouldn't try it, it just seems like far more effort than it needs to be.

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

I think you made a mistake. If 1% = 1.5 seconds this would be 45 seconds for 30%, not 90 seconds. You do get the correct number of seconds total though (13 * 45 = 585s). 

This does seem like it will be a tough task the longer you stay. You might be able to do it with loot manipulation (Nekros) but that has it's own problems. Some things to consider:

• Don't waste capsules. If they come every set period, make sure you are using them.
  • Capsules actually can give 32%. You just activate them on ~1% remaining and you get extra to account for activation time. This will be a quite risky in this mission. But you would get around 40 seconds of extra time.

It does seem like it could be possible. You would need an optimal setup though. I wouldn't try it, it just seems like far more effort than it needs to be.

Thanks for pointing it out, fixed it.

On the activating at 1% I don't think that's worthwhile.  An extra 40 seconds still won't take me halfway through the mission.  It also seems like my kill count is off (so the spawnrate probably isn't as bad as I thought) just because of the screenshots people posted of their Hildryn runs.  Midas only killed 8 enemies per minute (assuming all of that was play time and that he didn't sit around in the opening for too long).  While DrivaMain had about 12.5 kills per minute.  8 enemies per minute suggests a stronger than 50% drop chance for life support containers from enemies.

update2:

3135PYD.jpg

After seeing my own results, about 12 kills per minute is what you have to achieve.  Wisp is tempting, but I think the stealth passive actually makes it too hard for enemies to consistently find her, therefore you can't kill as many.  Garuda is tempting but I need better reflexes to pull it off (you need to be able to keep your 2 up, spam 3 for energy for your 1 cast 1 to get the mirror cast 2 cast 3 cast 1....it's very intense, and I love it but I'm not fast enough to do it for 20 minutes)

Edited by Starbomber109

I did all 3 with revenant. There were several reasons. 1: he has a large native shield capacity, this lets you take hits. 2: he has a cheap, but long-lasting and widespread CC power (#1). Mind control, but it's contagious (so you don't need to cast it much) and you can kill your puppets to get oxygen. 3: he can heal himself in an emergency (#3, though it's not cheap to cast)

My melee was a status and speed focused rapier plague zaw. This was done purely based on a process of elimination. For all weapon types, only rapiers, nunchucks and machetes are usable (read: the game doesn't slap the controls out of your hands) without a stance. You can't mod for elements, so you need good native damage type against shields, armour, robotics and flesh. The only procs you're going to get are either from the weapon's native stats, or if there are forced procs on any attacks. Rapiers do very well against robotics (native puncture) and have a forced slash proc on their heavy attack, which I started spamming against larger enemies. Hence my choice. Additionally, the weapon itself had native viral damage (plague zaw), so very tough enemies would get their health halved while I was spamming away at them.

Incidentally, this is the only time I've ever knowingly used a heavy attack. That's how pointless they are - you only use them if you absolutely have nothing else.

Ranged weapons, I didn't use much. My pistol was an Acrid because of its native toxin damage. Useful at ignoring corpus shields, but it doesn't kill that fast and you're going to be exposed to incoming fire while you stand around to aim at their heads (because you need headshots in order to make it work). You could also try the Zakti or Cyanex for their gas procs, but it's not guaranteed unlike the Acrid.

Rifle: I took a Scourge (for removing armour from bursas), but I never used it. Perhaps the Ferrox would have been better for the enemy vacuum on its throw attack.

The defence was the hardest one by far and it's where Revenant was most important. You need to keep the enemies not only away from the pod, but away from you at the same time. Excavation... looks like DE STILL haven't realised that it's still completely broken on the horrible Europa tileset. No power cell carriers spawned for the last 400 cryotic of my mission. The only way to proceed was to spawn one and let the enemies blow it up so that the next could spawn.

All in all, it's done but I certainly didn't enjoy it.

Edited by DoomFruit
  • Like 1

I only encountered a Bursa in the defense mission. (I caved and found a team for it, but even with 3 frames you could do that defense easily, maybe even with 2 frames!). I encountered a high level eximus moa in the excavation though...that was terrifying

Also I didn't know this at the time, but apparently Mirage's clones are bugged to have full mods.  I don't know if that's true (I spent the whole mission swinging Gram Prime around so idk, I also don't have the augment which might be the source of this rumor.)

• 1 month later...