Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

bullet jumping is bad, should be regulated

Erwes

You’re super wrong about this. Bullet jumping is one of the best movement systems of all modern video games.

I disagree that it’s too powerful. You can’t  spam it mindlessly. You have to both aim and time jumps, glides and rolls in order to smoothly navigate tight corridors. If you mess up, your stuck in a corner, or on top of a doorframe or falling into a video game pit. Confronting your own clumsiness is the only punishment bullet jumping needs. 

The only thing about bullet jumping I would change is the levels and gameplay. I want more levels that test the edges of how mobile bullet jumping is. 

The Gas City rework is a good start. Maybe DE could make Warframe Olympics. Simple obstacle races that really test people’s abilities. 

1 minute ago, (NSW)Katsuro said:

Why would you want millions of players to stop playing warframe? DE would go bankrupt tbh

Or I can play Gauss 😎

This is actually the main reason why I like Gauss so much. Mach Rush is so much more fun than bullet jumping all the time. You still get to go fast, but you actually have to pay attention to the level layout, instead of just flying over it.

Plus, Mach Rush has an extra limitation to make it interesting: Energy. Another possible way to limit bullet jumping would be to make it cost a small amount of energy. You could still use it sparingly for emergencies, but you wouldn't want to spam it through an entire mission.

• Like 1

The parkour is pretty much a part of WF's identity at this point. Without it, we would have just another generic first person shooter set in space that you run around and shoot stuff in.

And as others have said, without mastery of the mechanics, you are liable to fall off ledges, jump into corners and boxes, and make all kind of mistakes. No one is parkour master off the bat... but once you hit that flow...

My goodness no other game like it.

Do NOT touch please.

1 hour ago, Erwes said:

I also used it obviously but I took a step back, I try other games, and when returning I realized that the monotony of the gameplay came from the bullet jump (but not only that of course) which flattened everything.

I see that it is overused and prevents others way of playing by making them obsolete.

The truth comes out...

DE could remove all movement abilities from the game and players will still find a way to "make others obsolete" in groups because people can be needlessly competitive.

It's no different than watching some dude speed to the next stoplight because they want to get their first. No change DE makes is going to stop that because it's part of the core of the game.

Players running dungeons in other games don't zip off like they do here because the enemies can overwhelm that player and kill them...Otherwise they would.

1 hour ago, Erwes said:

I just don't see the fun to finish missions the fastest way possible. But the game encourage that. So I can't blame people doing it.

I don't either but have to respect that others do.

That said, the game doesn't encourage the behavior (timed missions aren't a thing nowadays)insomuch as it allows those playstyles to exist.

What you are suffering from is an issue with incompatible styles of play...That is common in pugs.

3 hours ago, Erwes said:

It's overused, it's an issue. The mechanic is too powerfull. It is not normal that it's the fastest way to travel on a flat land rather than running.

For me it is obvious that it participates in the problems difficulty of the game. It breaks the level design, the ia reaction wich can't keep up and also some warframe abilities that are less effective (invisbility was a thing, now I don't remember feeling sufficiently in danger to have to think of his using or find it cool anymore).

Were are space ninja, not space grasshopper...

Is this satire over the Maiming Strike/Condition Overload nerf?

Well, at least all frames have the same ability to bullet jump. Be glad its not like in destiny 2 where each class have different levels of being able to traverse large areas or in height and some are just terrible.  I'll take bullet jumping any day.

3 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

Ah, a blast from the past. Interesting timing, too.

Ship has long sailed, mate. It's never coming back.

You can always tell the new players. 

It's not just players either. You saw the same thing in dev teams. A new team would come on board and start making the same mistakes an older team did years ago. Two examples would be GoD in EQ and Cataclysm in WoW. What goes around comes around. 

As for bullet jumping...well...coptering was worse. A lot worse. I'd like to see movement nerfed to some degree overall and a return to wall running, but what we have now is a lot better than what came before. DE_Scott had some rather pungent comments regarding the old stamina bar. It won't be coming back. Ever. 

I see your point OP, doesn't mean I agree with it when thinking about the player base as a whole. Bullet jumping is by far the best "free to use with nothing required" movement for most frames. Other people bringing up void dashing or using a specific frame don't seem to get that point.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a nerf if mods/buffs that affected bullet jumping were even more effective (which means post nerf they would make your bullet jump faster than now.) Only nerf I would be fine with is to horizontal velocity but I'm not sure if it would be easy for DE to specifically nerf that aspect instead of just overall velocity.

This way you get to choose an investment option. Alternatively just give us a mobility mod slot. Exilus has never been just utility since drift mods came out but that is a separate issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erwes said:

It's overused, it's an issue. The mechanic is too powerfull. It is not normal that it's the fastest way to travel on a flat land rather than running.

because of some extreme defenders I can not see DE take it off, it's part of the identity of Warframe.

The game would benefit from quite a simple thing : REGULATION. "Excesses and debauchery demoralize infinitely more than privations" say Émile de Girardin.

Because I like constructive criticism here an example from myself that I'm sure will inspire you others : just add a countdown, few seconds, more you spam less it's effective, you will have to wait for his full charge to become again high and mighty (oh and it's just an idea)

Remember when SSBu change the dodging to make it less and less effective when you spam it, that was an issue and a complain on the SSB wiiu version.

That's one of the reason that I slowly began playing play less and less to finally just come back for big updates. For me it is obvious that it participates in the problems difficulty of the game. It breaks the level design, the ia reaction wich can't keep up and also some warframe abilities that are less effective (invisbility was a thing, now I don't remember feeling sufficiently in danger to have to think of his using or find it cool anymore).

You know when I play solo I'll just bullet jump very few times , since I don't like that either , I did a same topic but was saying that we're moving too fast and that's the problem warframe , how can u enjoy a mission if in a shooter u jump all over the enemies , even know with kuva liches people just bullet jump to trhall and spam 1 key Warframe to get rid of others.. when u make a "hard" mission in minute how can u ask for challenge , bullet jumping is just chhesing and I just don't like to play like that, the problem? I cannot play co-op cause everyone run volts -saryn -Warframe like  to massacre everything 3-4 room ahead and bullet jumping to the end... For real when u finish a exterminate mission in 2 minute withoutshooting anything cause u have a volt running ahed and pressing 4 is justsad gameplay... But here we need to face off grinders on that matter .. and nearly every console users...Warframe will never be balanced .. I was hoping for nightmares missions where u cannot bullet jump and double jump but even like that dunno if it ever work.

Bullet Jumping leads into a large portion of the movement mechanics of the game. When I was a newb I tended to use the butt scoot a lot because it increased my speed, bullet jumping was fast but not enough to give up control of my aim and attacks, that slowly changed as my aim and understanding of mechanics increased, for a period of time I did just chain bullet jumps back to back for movement, it wasn't much of an increase in speed, mobility, yes, speed, no.

As I got better I realized that bullet jumping let you use other forms of movement, you could air scoot, perform a mid air roll, then land in a slide going back into a bullet jump with all the right timing to maintain a good momentum, this was pretty fast, but it required me to use the slide mechanic and the roll mechanic or else it would only be a bit faster than sprint speed.

As I am now I don't chain together bullet jumps at all unless I'm on the plains (Orb vallis gets archwing or k-drive cuz I remember there. Plains I don't) due to the variable terrain and distances. Instead I perform rolls and scoot a lot more as I tend to have some form of movement enhancement on every frame I play, Volt, Nezha, Wisp, every armored frame. If I come across a straight distance that would have previously 'required' me to chain bullet jumps I instead whip out kiddo and perform a few hops there, kiddo has been improved greatly in quality of life over the years and is downright seamless if you have a good connection.

The issue I have specifically with 'nerfing' bullet jump in any way isn't that limiting it wouldn't make players appreciate it more and liven up gameplay, it certainly would do both those things, it is that bullet jumping leads into every form of parkour improvement in the game, something that many players feel very accomplished for having learned to the degree they have. This is the biggest reason why people defend bullet jumping so hard, it is the face of all their parkour accomplishments and skills as almost every parkour ability or skill was learned in relation to bullet jumping.

Did you know you can roll backwards mid bullet jump to arrest momentum? Did you know you can air scoot to the side to perform a rapid momentum shift in case you were a little off your target? Did you know your aim glide speed is based on your current speed but can be reset by repeatedly air scooting? Did you know rolling mid air can be used to massively increase forward momentum if timed right? All these things and many more are things that were not informed to us and each one of us had to discover them, some are easier to find out that others but every single one learned is a buff to us, the players. 

My suggestion for a nerf if there had to be one would be to make the movement of one bullet jump into another slightly clunky, this would dissuade people from chaining them together quite so much at the low and mid skill levels while not affecting the actual parkour mechanics.

4 hours ago, Erwes said:

because of some extreme defenders I can not see DE take it off, it's part of the identity of Warframe.

The game would benefit from quite a simple thing : REGULATION. "Excesses and debauchery demoralize infinitely more than privations" say Émile de Girardin.

Because I like constructive criticism here an example from myself that I'm sure will inspire you others : just add a countdown, few seconds, more you spam less it's effective, you will have to wait for his full charge to become again high and mighty (oh and it's just an idea)

Remember when SSBu change the dodging to make it less and less effective when you spam it, that was an issue and a complain on the SSB wiiu version.

That's one of the reason that I slowly began playing play less and less to finally just come back for big updates. For me it is obvious that it participates in the problems difficulty of the game. It breaks the level design, the ia reaction wich can't keep up and also some warframe abilities that are less effective (invisbility was a thing, now I don't remember feeling sufficiently in danger to have to think of his using or find it cool anymore).

This type of restriction should have been incorporated in Conclave. In Co-op? I dunno, who's going to complain? The bots?