Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cowsgobob

Chroma Rework

Recommended Posts

I would like to preface this by stating that my intention is for every element to feel somewhat unique and useful.

 

Passive: Unchanged.

 

1st: Spectral Scream - Unchanged stats.

  Cold: Slows and freezes enemies over time.

  Toxin: Strips armor.

  Heat: Stumbling effect.

  Electricity: Slow enemies.

 

2nd: Elemental Ward (Range, damage, duration unchanged) 

 -No longer buffs allies.

 -Stacks a buff on damage to health or shields.

  Cold: Weapon Damage.

  Toxin: Power Strength and Range

  Heat: (Status chance increased to 10% / 15% / 20% / 25%, to be in line with other elements.) Max HP

  Electricity: Reload Speed and Fire Rate

 

3rd: Vex Armor (Only damage buff across all elements, damage buff changed to include ability damage.)

 Cold: Armor

 Toxin:Damage Reduction

 Heat: HP Regen

 Electricity: Movement Speed + Max Shield

 

4th: Effigy 

 -Now follows player around like a Wukong clone but slower, providing an aura that buffs Chroma with the armor he gives up when he casts this ability.

 -Radial Roar Buffs Allies/Debuffs Enemies

  Cold: Buff ally armor and weapon damage. Slows and freezes enemies over time.

  Toxin: Buffs ally damage reduction(stacks diminishingly with allies' own damage reduction). Corrosive procs enemies..

  Heat:  Buffs ally max HP. Heat procs enemies with damage of one tick's worth of breath attack damage.

  Electricity: Buffs ally crit and status chance. Slows enemies and cause breath attacks to chain to nearby enemies.

 

 

I'm sure revisions could be made to add distinction and balance to all elements, but this is my current proposition. 

 

  

 

  • Woah 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cowsgobob said:

Passive: Unchanged.

 

1st: Spectral Scream - Unchanged stats.

  Cold: Slows and freezes enemies over time.

  Toxin: Strips armor.

  Heat: Stumbling effect.

  Electricity: Slow enemies

Already a bad rework idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with the rework , but I think you being a avalid point. Chroma elemental quimick is essentially irrelevant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of this rework for a few reasons:

  • I think half of Chroma's problems is that his 1 and 4 are too weak to be worth using, and so due to a combination of high Energy costs and low stats. As such, not changing the damage output or status chance on Spectral Scream and Effigy I think is already an issue.
  • I think the other half of Chroma's problems is that his 2 and 3 are boring stat steroids, which this proposal not only doesn't seem to change, but also extends to his 4.
  • Chroma's elemental alignment is meant to provide strategic depth tied to the associated damage types and status effects, but cheapens that via additional stats added on top, making for a kit that is more complex than deep. The proposed kit extends this to the entirety of his abilities, essentially creating four Chromas with quite a bit of overlap between each other (e.g. Heat and Cold Chroma both being heavy tanks).

Personally, I'd look to simplify Chroma's kit significantly and make it more active, rather than the collection of steroids it is now. In the process, I'd significantly buff Spectral Scream to be able to consistently apply status, and would probably avoid giving Chroma bonus effects based on element entirely.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

I'm not a big fan of this rework for a few reasons:

  • I think half of Chroma's problems is that his 1 and 4 are too weak to be worth using, and so due to a combination of high Energy costs and low stats. As such, not changing the damage output or status chance on Spectral Scream and Effigy I think is already an issue.
  • I think the other half of Chroma's problems is that his 2 and 3 are boring stat steroids, which this proposal not only doesn't seem to change, but also extends to his 4.
  • Chroma's elemental alignment is meant to provide strategic depth tied to the associated damage types and status effects, but cheapens that via additional stats added on top, making for a kit that is more complex than deep. The proposed kit extends this to the entirety of his abilities, essentially creating four Chromas with quite a bit of overlap between each other (e.g. Heat and Cold Chroma both being heavy tanks).

Personally, I'd look to simplify Chroma's kit significantly and make it more active, rather than the collection of steroids it is now. In the process, I'd significantly buff Spectral Scream to be able to consistently apply status, and would probably avoid giving Chroma bonus effects based on element entirely.

I feel like chroma suffered from both short development cycle and at the time DE did not understand opportunity cost well.

The short development cicle caused his elemental short commings , originally DE aimed too hight ( one chroma for each element in the game) wasted time on a sisyphean task. Them they simplied it down to 4 but did not have enought time to do it right.

The lack of understandings of opportunity cost made to 1 and 4 remarcable weak , in my opinion they go as far as to make the player weaker , his 1 prevents him from doing what he is good at ( firing guns ) and his cost half of his armor ( making worse at the thing his os kinda good at ).

I tried to propose I rework to Chroma a few months ago , in retrospectively it was bad , but think I was going on the right direction . Rework his 1, 2 and 4 and give them distinctive functions. In my attempt each element supported a play style.

Fire - tank support ( heals and buff)

Ice- tank CC ( more defense and cc) 

Electricity - caster

Poison - melee fighter

In this way each chroma would have a diferent playstyle instead of the current version of the choice between fire and ice is a math question , electricity is the wrong choice and you use poison when you want to do swap weapon fast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember this thread? This show that Chroma needs to be a priority in the next warframe rework update. A lot of good suggestion got posted on this thread.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keikogi said:

I feel like chroma suffered from both short development cycle and at the time DE did not understand opportunity cost well.

The short development cicle caused his elemental short commings , originally DE aimed too hight ( one chroma for each element in the game) wasted time on a sisyphean task. Them they simplied it down to 4 but did not have enought time to do it right.

The lack of understandings of opportunity cost made to 1 and 4 remarcable weak , in my opinion they go as far as to make the player weaker , his 1 prevents him from doing what he is good at ( firing guns ) and his cost half of his armor ( making worse at the thing his os kinda good at ).

I tried to propose I rework to Chroma a few months ago , in retrospectively it was bad , but think I was going on the right direction . Rework his 1, 2 and 4 and give them distinctive functions. In my attempt each element supported a play style.

Fire - tank support ( heals and buff)

Ice- tank CC ( more defense and cc) 

Electricity - caster

Poison - melee fighter

In this way each chroma would have a diferent playstyle instead of the current version of the choice between fire and ice is a math question , electricity is the wrong choice and you use poison when you want to do swap weapon fast.

I think there are two main schools of thought for Chroma and his elements: the first is to develop on his elemental builds and make each element provide a totally different playstyle, and the second is to let Chroma switch elements on the fly and be more of an exploiter of their status/damage effects. I personally lean more towards the second, but in the current state of the game there's also the problem of Chroma just committing to a single element for a whole mission due to how enemy resists work, which isn't all that interesting.

As such, it could be good to let Chroma choose one of four playstyles, though at the same time I also feel there are some caveats:

  • If each element is supposed to push Chroma towards a certain playstyle, each playstyle should feel distinct from the other.
  • At the same time, there are some core traits to Chroma that should probably stay constant (I think he's always going to be tanky, and should likely always be good at dealing weapon damage).
  • The differentiation should likely stem from taking an innately versatile kit and adding simple effects to direct it one way or the other, instead of basically superposing four different variations of each ability, as is the case with the OP's proposal. If we need four different ability variations per slot, then we might as well design four different warframes.

So with this, a support/CC/caster/fighter separation might work, though given how Chroma's so dependent on weapon damage, I don't know for sure what enhancing his casting would entail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teridax68 said:

So with this, a support/CC/caster/fighter separation might work, though given how Chroma's so dependent on weapon damage, I don't know for sure what enhancing his casting would entail.

My version was a caster a la Atlas the punch WIZARD. In the same vein atlas petrify and landslide combo. But instead of punch it was lighting breath. The TL:DR is. 

Chroma 1 became a pseudo exalted weapon like Gara's 1 and Atlas's amd it was affected by weapon damage buff to. Each element had a diferent gun. 

Fire- flamethrower

Ice- icecle shot gun 

Venom - acid grenede laucher 

Electricity - volt shock but scaling with weapons mods.

Elemental ward was replaced by I think the name was Elemental wind. Chroma claped his wings sending a wave of elemental wind. Casting this skill mid air reduces chroma gravity and incresed aim glide. Elemental wind has diferent effect based on the element used. 

Fire - helaing / s

Ice- CC and debuff

Venom - speed buff ( attack speed , holistering speed and reload speed )

Electricity - (debuff) lighting rod , enemies hit by this debuff will emit a damge pulse whenever they receive damage from a skill. Damage equal to X% of the original skill damage , this effect cannot porc itself.

The combo is eletric wind + lighting breath should deal tons of damage.

 

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...