Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe drops out of steams top 10 just after releasing an Big update.

(PSN)SolarPhantom82

On 2020-01-09 at 5:05 PM, DeMonkey said:

That was my post.

That was in the other thread that later got merged with this one, the thread that claimed WF had dropped in numbers in relation to Empyrean when the numbers were the same around 45k as they have been since before liches that also didnt bring any players. My point there was that it wasnt WF that had dropped, but other games increasing instead (at the time he had looked at the chart and decided to make the thread), hence why it got punted out of top 10, which was the OP's whole focus.

I guess I could have worded it better since it does seem like I say that it hasnt dropped at all due to the quote of what you said.

"One thing to note, in this case it isnt really WF that has dropped in numbers", that would have been a better way to put it. And I guess I should have been more clear and not so rambly about what I ment with a stable number. Which in short is just me saying that even at the lowest point we've seen, the population is more than enough for a game to be healthy and the population is rather large aswell and can survive several drops more before we should actually get concerned. And as I pointed out, if the game was in a horrible state as people claim, then topping premium sales lists would not be a thing for the game under a year such as the bottom dragging 2019.

On 2020-01-06 at 8:40 AM, DeMonkey said:

There is obvious player loss precisely when you look back more than a day. We haven't properly peaked since Fortuna, and every peak since then has been lower and lower. Liches failed to peak, Railjack, the almost 2 year hyped up update failed to cause the game to peak. 

Throughout it's early stages the game was very good at bringing in more people than it lost, and that's great, that's growth. The past year the game has not brought in more people than it has lost and that's... not growth.

Obviously all this is Steam data, but if anyone wants to argue that Steam isn't a valid sample size, and that people who use the main launcher are somehow an entirely different class of gamer not represented by the same statistics, I shall scoff at you.

There is a significant difference between Liches, Railjack, and Fortuna that has zero relation to the quality of the updates itself which is being ignored, though. Liches and Railjack are both unlocked dozens and dozens of hours into the game, unless you're deliberately trying to rush to the content itself and have friends helping you to achieve that goal. Fortuna was immediately accessible within what, an hour of gameplay? Same with Plains of Eidolon.

In other words, Railjack and Liches were not intended to attract massive numbers of new players and therefore their failure to do so is only normal. Railjack wasn't hyped up as something that would bring in new players, it was hyped up as a way to start integrating mid- and late-game systems with each other. Liches were supposed to give veteran players something to do, and that necessarily limits how many players it will actually attract because of its focus on late-game stuff. In 2019, the only things that catered to early-game, newbie players are...

The melee rework? I guess?

DE's problem has been, and has always been, the F2P problem in a nutshell-you need to keep someone's attention, and get them invested, in the first few hours of the game. The problem is that the first few hours of Warframe are a complete and utter mess. I suspect that if you had one timeline where DE made those first few hours somewhat less of a mess but kept everything else as jank, and another where DE magically fixed every veteran complaint about late game Warframe, they would be making a lot more money and getting a lot more players than in the latter timeline.

7 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Which DE was. . A large company for hong Kong which has over 4 other stedios. ... DE are not an inde company. ..

Legitimate question, without paranoia or incredulousness on my part, who are the other other three and can you show me their mainline games? I'm curious to see if Sumpo's hands-off policy is universal.

7 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Which DE was. . A large company for hong Kong which has over 4 other stedios. ... DE are not an inde company. ..

What that company bought was the Chinese distribution rights, so that Warframe could be brought over to China. This company has no power over DE. DE remains independent. 

8 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

What that company bought was the Chinese distribution rights, so that Warframe could be brought over to China. This company has no power over DE. DE remains independent. 

Leyou has a policy of being hands-off if the company can remain profitable on their own, but totally bought DE, that much is true. Currently, Leyou themselves is in discussions though to sell itself or merge with other bidders. McBain Capital, Perfect World International, and Tencent are the biggest competitors last I checked.

Seems per Dec 2019, that one of Tencent's front companies IDreamsky is the favored.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-06/tencent-backed-idreamsky-said-in-talks-to-buy-gaming-firm-leyou

Edited by Urlan
Added link

1 hour ago, Urlan said:

Leyou has a policy of being hands-off if the company can remain profitable on their own, but totally bought DE, that much is true. Currently, Leyou themselves is in discussions though to sell itself or merge with other bidders. McBain Capital, Perfect World International, and Tencent are the biggest competitors last I checked.

Seems per Dec 2019, that one of Tencent's front companies IDreamsky is the favored.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-06/tencent-backed-idreamsky-said-in-talks-to-buy-gaming-firm-leyou

Oof. While Tencent and Perfect World make me anxious just by hearing their names intoned, what is McBain Capital like as a company? What have they done, what's their general experience level, etc.

40 minutes ago, Unus said:

Oof. While Tencent and Perfect World make me anxious just by hearing their names intoned, what is McBain Capital like as a company? What have they done, what's their general experience level, etc.

Sorry, seems I keep putting Mc on them. Bain Capital is an investment firm with Mitt Romney as a partner. They have been involved in a lot of little deals here and there as well as the dissolution of Toys R US in the States. Among retail and fast food, some of their biggest clients were Burger King, Dunkin Doughtnuts, and Dominos but they have also represented Warner Music and Doubleclick (probably before they advised them to sell to Google) and other fairly big multi-national entities.

28 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Sorry, seems I keep putting Mc on them. Bain Capital is an investment firm with Mitt Romney as a partner. They have been involved in a lot of little deals here and there as well as the dissolution of Toys R US in the States. Among retail and fast food, some of their biggest clients were Burger King, Dunkin Doughtnuts, and Dominos but they have also represented Warner Music and Doubleclick (probably before they advised them to sell to Google) and other fairly big multi-national entities.

So, a very weird wildcard fellow.

Guess the future is an unstable anything goes trainwreck of who knows what that could see Digital obliterated, zombified, triple-Ad, or exalted at any time, perhaps even multiple things one after the other.

Edited by Unus

1 hour ago, Unus said:

So, a very weird wildcard fellow.

Guess the future is an unstable anything goes trainwreck of who knows what that could see Digital obliterated, zombified, triple-Ad, or exalted at any time, perhaps even multiple things one after the other.

Yeah, but hopefully, this will not hurt DE; but considering, its hard to say right now.

7 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Yeah, but hopefully, this will not hurt DE; but considering, its hard to say right now.

Fingers crossed then! Heh, the agony of being a file in the portfolio of an entertainment corporation. Misplaced, spilled on with coffee, potentially paper-shredded, redacted, rebuilt, etc.

Takes a special kind of fellow not to go mad thinking about that every day.

I have been thinking a lot and I found myself considering just deleting Warframe. Then I realized that these thoughts are caused by the fact that I do not know what is actually happening with Warframe. Also... I am not the only one. One quick look through the forums can show that a looot of people are in a state of pure panic. DE, you gotta do this:

I suggest that you get a person that will be given all the info you already know and will be actively discussing with people on forums.

This would help, because there are tons of threads with no DE replies. We are all assuming that the issues will be discussed during Devsteams, but they never are and we are all getting into one big panic mode. If you woule want to keep doing devstream, you can, whatever I do not really care, because the Devstreams are almost NEVER about the content issues, but there has to be some active discussion between DE and us players.

Wanna know why? Because it's a free to play game. When a game is not f2p, the devs don't have to care about players, because the players likely already paid. We have to stay to keep the game alive and if you will not calm down people with some info.. Well then I fear the worst.

Just so it's obvious what I mean. We currently have:
- dropchances are ridiculus (It would take almost 16000 hours of non stop play to get the best version of MK3 reactor)
- anomaly rush/disconnect if i do not find cache META is horrible
- railjack is just another "island"
and much much more...

and we get only silence

Edit: I made this post as a feedback topic, since I suggest an idea as a feedback, but it got moved here, so yeah. That's why it's completely disconnected from the previous conversation.

Edited by Cerikus
  • Like 1

Sometimes it's easier to turn a blind eye. Specially when there's a risk of players taking any of DE's words out of context and assume stuff. Also, sometimes it's better to wait and gather more data so that a complete answer can be given to the public.

I'm not excusing this behaviour, however. I think DE relies way too much on 'static noise'. I'll take a truth I don't like, a mere acknowledgement of the issue or a provisory answer over a lie/absolute silence any day.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

Mk 3 Vidar reactor is definitely a nice to have item more than it is necessary. Sigma Mk III reactor is definitely hitting that minimum viable gear place with room to spare for Veil Proxima.

The anomaly rush would be fixed by rewards from the crate not being visible until the mission complete screen like other container-based rewards, as this exact thing has happened before.

Railjack is an island, one under current development. Development which has just picked back up one week after the devs returned from break. This whole accusation of silence holds no water. Further, as far as what further changes are take place, bug fixing has to happen to provide a clearer picture of what is and isn't working. The only ones panicking are self-important children who can't be bothered to take a deep breath and let things develop.

9 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

Railjack is an island, one under current development.

In development for 1.5 years.

10 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

This whole accusation of silence holds no water.

I have been talking about this for several months already, so yes it does hold water.

10 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

bug fixing has to happen to provide a clearer picture of what is and isn't working.

Content should be released in a decent state. The fact that they are bugfixing is not an excuse. If it were any othe game/gamedev people would roast them over an open fire just like they usually do, when something like this happens. Want some examples? (No man sky, Destiny 2, Anthem, etc. we could continue)

12 minutes ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

The only ones panicking are self-important children who can't be bothered to take a deep breath and let things develop.

Dismissing my valid criticism based on your assumption of age is pathetic and it is absolutely no way to participate in a public dispute.

Have a nice day Tenno 🙂

• Like 2

On 2020-01-09 at 4:38 AM, (PS4)Herrwann69 said:

Steam numbers were used to praise DE and Warframe when the game was growing and it's normal, they are the only public information we have. So it's perfectly logical that those steam numbers are being used to acknowledge the fact that Warframe is losing player in 2019.

Well you're wrong! Because...

Because...

Oh no. Oh no

We are gonna need more tennogen.

On 2019-11-11 at 1:35 AM, Fire2box said:

DLVJh2IVAAAp_FR.jpg

DLUOU1FU8AAltoe.jpg

Entire ARG based upon real world advertising in large cites. 

DE has at least 300 employees and you're calling their game niche? 

LOL that was pretty awesome...Nice bit of creative marketing.

At the time I'm writing this, don't get me wrong, but most post I see are negative, or at least they aren't positive. Is this good or bad, cause this could mean good critique or bad game. Please don't say something like "Why does this matter?" I'm posting this just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like 3