Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe drops out of steams top 10 just after releasing an Big update.

(PSN)SolarPhantom82

8 hours ago, nms. said:

Doesn't matter, their point is both the trend and count. Steam is probably the major lead generator and major point of organic discovery for Warframe on PC. They don't publish anywhere else on PC, as far as I know. Highly unlikely for active steam gamers to use steam, discover and install warframe, then use warframe without steam, when they probably have more stuff in their libraries and Digital Extremes actively promotes tennogen.

If anything, non-steam numbers are probably worse with roughly the same trend, since they would be the minority. Reverse that question, there's no incentive to play without steam, once you are on steam.

Not really true. WF very likely follows the same pattern that PoE and several other prior F2P games do on Steam, which is having around a 50/50 split between Steam and the other PC launcher versions. GGG were even amazed when their Steam numbers started to approach the 50% mark back in 2017, 4 years after the game released. There is no indication as to why WF would be a special case since it follows the exact same release pattern as PoE and others.

Tennogen itself isnt more of a pulling factor in this than being able to use your Steam wallet to purchase premium currency in any other game. It is a preference, nothing more. There is a high chance that those that do use Steam do it just for the wallet access and not specifically for Tennogen.

Il y a 9 heures, 844448 a dit :

That early access pokemon lookalike? Let's see how long that will last

Also, that doesn't answer why should I play through steam since that means I'm not in the steam chart, the chart doesn't have the full count of players

Steam numbers are used to praise Warframe and DE when they are good, even by DE themselves. So it's perfectly logical to use them when they are bad too. 

2 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

There is a high chance that those that do use Steam do it just for the wallet access

Spoiler

Image result for confused girl meme

That's a joke, right? What on earth is so special about the wallet access that there's a "high chance" that people play Warframe on Steam for it?

7 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Image result for confused girl meme

That's a joke, right? What on earth is so special about the wallet access that there's a "high chance" that people play Warframe on Steam for it?

Cheaper plat if it follows the same rules as currency purchases in other games while also being able to use Steam funds i.e wallet money obtained through trades on Steam. My friends often got around a 10% discount by purchasing premium currency on Steam in other games while I payed full price on the official site. And that was no specific Steam exclusive discount, it was simply the currency exchange that resulted in it. And some spent left over cash from trading cards or other trash trades from time to time on small bundles.

• Like 1

mr24 and ~2000 hours with 5 years break.

i like games like diablo2 and small groups. and in warframe you dont need good weapons/warframe etc to play end game.

i like to train skill for real life and have a little adventure while i smoke my hookah.

overwatch is my favorite game. but here we have loot. thats make it more interesting.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Cheaper plat if it follows the same rules as currency purchases in other games while also being able to use Steam funds i.e wallet money obtained through trades on Steam. My friends often got around a 10% discount by purchasing premium currency on Steam in other games while I payed full price on the official site. And that was no specific Steam exclusive discount, it was simply the currency exchange that resulted in it. And some spent left over cash from trading cards or other trash trades from time to time on small bundles.

zbDCpHC.png

Steam plat purchase vs store plat purchase.

You're saying that there's a high chance people play Warframe on Steam for discounts that don't exist. :facepalm:

Uhm, i'd say it's for the gameplay, the story, the community, bla bla bla, but honestly, deep down? I just love to destroy my enemies and to flex on them. I can't describe the feeling of having my teammates behind me and suddenly jumping to 50 enemies and wiping them out from the map in a matter of 1 to 2 seconds. That badass superhero feeling is a literal drug and it's one of the main reasons I play this game. Moving so fast, being so badass in missions, no one can stop me from doing whatever the hell I want, and I get every single mission done, with or without the help of my team. This feeling of being independent yet dependent at will, capable of helping everyone else due to how strong you already are... Honestly, all of these feelings are compiled into one massive "super hero" feeling or more like anti-vilain feeling where you're op and you can do whatever you want.

This is what gets me to come back to warframe all the time. The story and the gameplay are other reasons I still stick around, and also my clan and alliance where I got quite some good friends in.

But seriously, I've been playing destiny 2 recently, and I can't describe you how frustrating it is to face some enemies that take up to 15 shots and are still alive. That doesn't happen in warframe. In warframe I swing my sword 250 times in 10 seconds and not a single enemy is left alive. In destiny 2 and in other games, you move so slowly, you kill so slowly, to the point that you end up missing warframe and how OP you are in this game.

56 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

zbDCpHC.png

Steam plat purchase vs store plat purchase.

You're saying that there's a high chance people play Warframe on Steam for discounts that don't exist. :facepalm:

FFS read again what I said. It is not an exclusive discount. There is a discount benefit with Steam and it is probably related to conversion rates. I'm not saying it is the case for WF. I'm saying it is a possibility since it has happened frequently in other games, where you can save a pretty penny by buying through Steam without there being and actual discount. It happened regularly when we played Marvel Heroes, there were no steam specific discounts but my friends came out at around 10% cheaper G's by buying through Steam.

Again you seem to read what you want, so we may aswell stop it here.

12 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yeah and people join Steam since that is often a possible benefit.

You can substantiate this with more than anecdote, right?

Because, for me, not a benefit I had ever even heard of. The draw to steam was because the alternative was disk based copies of games, which were an avoidable hassle.

3 hours ago, 844448 said:

And people bring steam like it shows the whole amount of active player and it's tiring

This is not the reason people bring Steam numbers into a discussion. Steam launcher offers a representative sample size to make founded estimations and extrapolations with regards to the whole player base. Total numbers are irrelevant for the point being made. Even if Steam does not track all the players, it is safe to assume total aktivity will show similar behaviour (with a time shift for consoles, due to a different update schedule). Steam numbers are good at showing trends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Because, for me, not a benefit I had ever even heard of. The draw to steam was because the alternative was disk based copies of games, which were an avoidable hassle.

No, probably not.

It wasnt something I had heard of either until the day it happened. It is also not a reason for me personally to use Steam, it is still a reason for some. I'm too lazy myself to make use of such things, just as I dont trade on Steam either. I've never been drawn to Steam by anything, I've been forced to Steam back in the day when every hard copy required it to redeem and validate your purchase. Steam has evolved since then and now you can trade to get stuff for free etc. on that platform, plus you can get seasonal bonuses when you spend on any game you have on Steam. So there are several reasons to have games on Steam besides obvious specific game related things like for instance Tennogen. No one that sits down to start WF will pick Steam because of Tennogen, because that feature is pretty much completely unkown until you actually play the game.

And my starting point was more that the wallet has a bigger pulling factor to get someone to start playing WF on Steam instead of on the SA client than Tennogen will have. That doesnt mean that I'm saying the wallet and the possible discount has a big impact on wether someone picks Steam or not, just that it has more impact that something fully unknown like Tennogen. Hence why assuming that so many more use Steam over the SA is very narrowminded, since it is barely a case in any game that has a SA/other and a Steam launcher version. It would make WF increadibly unique. That is because the only real factors to get someone to play on Steam are the same in every game, like access to wallet purchases, trading and seasonal benefits, aswell as having everything in one neat launcher. So when most other F2P games have the 50/50 split or somewhere around that area, we should logically expect the same split in WF, unless of course for some reason WF is this very unique rare and special gem of a game that defies norms.

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

You do realize the two you are arguing with neglect certain parts of what you say to keep on asking questions 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

You do realize the two you are arguing with neglect certain parts of what you say to keep on asking questions 

Probably. Don't know if I care though.

Until I see any indication that the split is 50/50 (it isn't) and that people actually use steam for a premium currency discount that existed within a single specified game, I'm just classing everything as nonsense.

3 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Probably. Don't know if I care though.

Until I see any indication that the split is 50/50 (it isn't) and that people actually use steam for a premium currency discount that existed within a single specified game, I'm just classing everything as nonsense.

You really need to start reading what people actually write. Since now you imply I said it was a currency discount tied to a specific game, which I already told you twice that it wasnt. It is simply how Steam works with conversion rates of actual real world currency where other outside options may lag behind. The game I mentioned was one example. The same exact thing applied when we played STO and NWO together. Steam was always a slightly cheaper option whenever we bought currency. My friends were always saving in about 10% while also getting seasonal benefits on Steam if the purchase occured during such events.

And if you somehow think that Tennogen is magically pulling in new players to use Steam you are just silly, since Tennogen is something few new players have a clue about until they've played to the point where they are interested in cosmetics. Still, my point is, the Steam monetization benefits are pulling more players to Steam than Tennogen ever would. I cant help that you've lived under a rock when it comes to the benefits of using Steam for purchases aside from not having to hamster physical game copies at your house.

And wether or not you think the split is near 50/50, it really doesnt matter, because you also spoke out about how it was abnormal for a game to fluctuate in population numbers like WF does, when in reality every F2P does exactly that. So what you think has extremely little worth in conversations like these, because frankly, you have no clue about it even though you think you do. I generally like you, but in these types of convos you just go into cringe mode. I mean, you've used out takes that have benefitted your view, but when those same out takes have been presented in their full shape you've gone fingers-in-ears-la-la-la since they shows something different when presented correctly in their complete state. And at that point they suddenly werent valid and the nitpicking began.

Since now you imply I said it was a currency discount tied to a specific game

No, just that you were only able to specify a single game.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Still, my point is, the Steam monetization benefits are pulling more players to Steam than Tennogen ever would.

You can't dream of proving that. Just stop.

5 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

because you also spoke out about how it was abnormal for a game to fluctuate in population numbers like WF does

No, I didnt. You need to read what I wrote. I said that that it was unusual for Warframe, and clarified this several times to you.

And wether or not you think the split is near 50/50, it really doesnt matter, because you also spoke out about how it was abnormal for a game to fluctuate in population numbers like WF does, when in reality every F2P does exactly that. So what you think has extremely little worth in conversations like these, because frankly, you have no clue about it even though you think you do. I generally like you, but in these types of convos you just go into cringe mode. I mean, you've used out takes that have benefitted your view, but when those same out takes have been presented in their full shape you've gone fingers-in-ears-la-la-la since they shows something different when presented correctly in their complete state. And at that point they suddenly werent valid and the nitpicking began.

Actually no not every ftp game does this and while it may seem common practice because it's a free to play game to have the luxury to put it down with no feeling of regret dosent mean numbers should or always that skewed. Right now we see a decline in players and generally speaking If we're crunching the numbers is less new players playing and vets returning to try out the update in the cases. Wf has a terrible new player experience and alot of content just dosent hold vets over so there will be a drop until.... Well hype for the next updates. Between that time period however very little new engagement is there. At least from my educated guess.