Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new war I expect vs the one I'll get

ixidron92

So, what I expect? Epicness. A sentient invasion event where they'll slowly but inexorably take over all solar system planets one by one despite our best efforts to slow down the invasion.

Spearhead

A sentient fleet is detected in the outer rim of the solar system. After a short mission with a few space battles, we unlock a new starchart region: A massive sentient "ship". The first few nodes will be space battles and then we'll be able to infiltrate this sentient supercarrier, but our attempts at sabotage are quickly repaired, and endless swarms of Sentients prevent any progress from being made.

Invasion

A new invasion alert type: Sentients. They'll slowly take over nodes, removing control from the Corpus and Grineer, starting on the outer planets.

Eventually, the Tenno will form a taskforce (faction with reputation and rewards) determined to halt their advance, only to fail. We'll collaborate with the corpus and Grineer reluctantly during the invasions, but neither faction is able to scramble a solid, unified fighting force or a single front.

The fall of the Tenno

We're overwhelmed, and our relays fall one by one despite our best efforts to defend them in space. Their shields are breached, their superstructure pierced and the sentients simply swarm them. We defend them valiantly on the ground, but fail time and again.

Desperate offensive

Eventually, the Corpus and Grineer ready their heavyweights. We must aid them in the construction of Fomorians and Razorbacks for a change. It's a race against time, and despite our counter attack we only manage a Pyrrhic victory. 

Siege

We're forced to fall back to Venus and Earth. We struggle to find technology that might help us beat back the sentients, and we struggle to form a unified coalition. We scour the Vallis and help the Quills find a solution. Eventually, even our blockade fails. Venus is besieged and the Corpus struggle to defend their last seat of power. With last minute help from the Grineer, Venus holds, but Earth is left vulnerable, as we pulled our forces to secure Venus.

Hope

Sentients land on the Plains, determined to destroy the Unum, our last hope. We fight the sentient heavyweights in the plains, defeating several bosses at a very high cost, and despite our best efforts, the massive sentient remains awake.

In a last ditch effort, the Unum reveals itself as the first Sentient, the Orokin prototype and progenitor of all sentients. Using its vast accumulated knowledge of ancient Orokin technology and sentient schematics, it devises a way to counteract Sentient adaptation, and offers a plan to break Earth's siege. We'll travel to Lua and link the Unum with Lua's mainframe, only to overload the void phase-shift engine in a massive void explosion, wiping out all sentient forces on Earth and its orbit, but at the price of losing the Unum itself. 

With new technology in our arsenals, and the Grineer fleet free, we break the siege of Venus in an epic battle and marshal our entire coalition, retaking lost territories one by one until the Sentients are forced to retreat.

Counteroffensive

Then comes the counterstrike, a new starchart: The Tau system. We attack, establishing a beachhead and advance until we can strike the very heart of sentient territory.

We'll also get a massive 100 player, open battlefield as a permanent feature, that'll continuously present players with new challenges and evershifting territory control. (This is not meant to be part of the storyline)

During the mission part of the storyline, we'll push through the battlefield alongside once iconic adversaries. Sargas Ruk leads the Grineer assault, while the corpus Orb Mother triad spearhead through Sentient lines and into the main sentient citadel, only to face Natah's mother.

Redemption

Once we deliver the final blow, Natah surrenders and brokers peace, offering herself as emissary - a mix between hostage and ambassador. She'll resume her functions as The Lotus, trying to maintain balance between all factions.

What will we probably get?

A new invasion type with no repercussion, a Plains of Eidolon event, a few story-line missions (where Natah betrays the Sentients and helps us defeat her mother), a sentient "planet" (ala derelict - a huge sentient "ship") and a bossfight; maybe a new gamemode too.

Ah, but a man can dream. A man can dream...

Edited by ixidron92
  • Like 4

It's almost like hype is the biggest source of disappointment.

Keep your expectations reasonable people. DE already exceeded mine by the simple fact the New War is in fact an actual War. I was fully expecting, and accepting of, something more similar to the War Within (a more metaphorical war) since smaller-scale stories are what DE has generally chosen to tell thus far, and where they work best IMO.

• Like 1

TLDR:

Expect is "A complete stroyline worth of single player games which will lock me into it (As in, will not make me able to go to starchart and such ala The War Within) untill the end and change the damn game."

What will get is "The what is actually expected".

Shorter TLDR:

Expect: A standalone story single-player game

What will get: The usual, bartender.

1 hour ago, ixidron92 said:

Then comes the counterstrike, a new starchart: The Tau system. We attack, establishing a beachhead and advancing until we can strike the very heart of sentient territory. A massive 100 player open battlefield as a permanent feature, that'll continuously present players with new challenges and territory control.

They scrapped the 8 player raids and relay zones don't render people faster enough to handle combat so 100 players is way above their capacity for the time being.

1 hour ago, Mikaer88 said:

Oh man, expectations are really high right now and the pressure is on DE not to make a [Primed Disappointment].

Don't we get that from Barro every fortnight?

Either way most likely get another big open world with a big boss what is immune to WF abilities and status procs what dish random damage/ energy drain you can't hide from what uses the new melee block mechanics if you want to survive with a archgun and a operator mode just to make it full blown cancer. Oh and has 6 way rng bs and 3 grind walls as Fortuna's two was not enough. That is what I'm expecting anything better than that I will be a pleasantly surprised, anything worse and DE are literally taking the piss.

Edited by roekenny

Got a few problems with that. First off, technology was what got the Orokin in trouble in the Old War. They had to revert to crude archaic weapons like ballistics in order to damage them as Sentients would utilize Orokin technology against them. Also, we as the Tenno hold the most dangerous and the most powerful weapon in the Warframe universe, Void energies. And the Sentients have The Flaw, which makes Void energy especially poisonous to them. The ones we fight now sacrificed their ability to reproduce to garner a resistance to the Void, and it still is deadly to them. We don't need new technology to defeat them. They need technology to defeat us. Without something to help defend them against the power of the Tenno, this will simply end up like the Old War, where we slaughter them en masse.

Also, 100 player battlefield? Seriously? That'd lock out a portion of the playerbase. Not to mention how long it takes for relays to load and how poor the connection is between players. With my shoddy internet, if your idea of a 100 player battlefield was required to complete the quest I'd never be able to do it. Part of the story should not be locked behind that. Plus the engine probably can't handle all of the particle effects from 100 warframe abilities all at once.

5 hours ago, AshArbiter said:

Don’t worry, you’ll have upwards of four months or more until we see either update. 

Correction: If this last update is any indicator, I expect pain, loads of RNG based pain. In the future.

But, I'm gonna worry either way. This hasn't been a great roll out for what is meant to be a major update.

8 hours ago, ixidron92 said:

Once we deliver the final blow, Natah surrenders and brokers peace, offering herself as emissary - a mix between hostage and ambassador. She'll resume her functions as lotus, trying to maintain balance between all factions.

You had me really going with this idea

But then you said this and ruined it

Natah dies and this "Lotus" with it. If she an't dying in the new war, I an't comein back 

(or she gets her own mute button, with transmission removed, same goes for our fail-bot)

Edited by Circle_of_Psi

A) This is a really detailed multi-arc campaign, not an update

B) I kinda hate these sorts of stories. I'm so sick of "The enemy is unbeatable, every one of their units is 10x stronger than ours, and they have 1000x as many!" shortly followed by "I believe in my friends PSEWWWWWWWW" and then the good guys win because friendship cannon (the boring kind, not the literal kind). It's such an unsatisfying early-mid play, and the endgame is so cliché it's probably a big-name page on TVTropes.

hace 41 minutos, Circle_of_Psi dijo:

You had me really going with this idea

But then you said this and ruined it

Natah dies and this "Lotus" with it. If she an't dying in the new war, I an't comein back 

(or she gets her own mute button, with transmission removed, same goes for our fail-bot)

They are not killing Natah. The playerbase is too attached and want to rescue her. If DE killed her, there would be riots.

hace 29 minutos, Iamabearlulz dijo:

A) This is a really detailed multi-arc campaign, not an update

B) I kinda hate these sorts of stories. I'm so sick of "The enemy is unbeatable, every one of their units is 10x stronger than ours, and they have 1000x as many!" shortly followed by "I believe in my friends PSEWWWWWWWW" and then the good guys win because friendship cannon (the boring kind, not the literal kind). It's such an unsatisfying early-mid play, and the endgame is so cliché it's probably a big-name page on TVTropes.

Da #*!%? I literally had the entire solar system marshaling forces in a deep entrenchment retreat while the Tenno fight asymmetric warfare behind enemy lines, only to try and fail with a brute force counteroffensive and being forced to fall back to HQ and face a desperate defense until we manage to develop a new tech to counter the Sentient adaptation advantage. All of that while managing volatile politics between three bitter rivals. FFS, that is not only realistic, but mimics real war plans and historical events, and seeing it reduced to "the power of friendship" as an explanation goes way beyond reductionism,

21 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

Da #*!%? I literally had the entire solar system marshaling forces in a deep entrenchment retreat while the Tenno fight asymmetric warfare behind enemy lines, only to try and fail with a brute force counteroffensive and being forced to fall back to HQ and face a desperate defense until we manage to develop a new tech to counter the Sentient adaptation advantage. All of that while managing volatile politics between three bitter rivals. FFS, that is not only realistic, but mimics real war plans and historical events, and seeing it reduced to "the power of friendship" as an explanation goes way beyond reductionism,

Well I'm sorry if your plot reads like every underdog story ever told in the history of ever. I'm just tired of unwinnable battles being won because the plot needs it to happen, there are very few writers who can pull it off satisfyingly.

A few issues: We don't have an HQ per se (the relays are mostly there for non-Tenno associates, I think), the entire point of using bullets is to counter the Sentient adaptation tech (you try adapting to anti-materiel rounds), and real historical war plans don't really work in space (strategizing in three dimensions is a bit more complicated than trench warfare) (also Tenno don't hold territory).

The entire thing with the Tenno as a force is we're on equal footing with the Sentients or the Infestation, if what we've been told about the Old War is to be believed (and if it's actually in the past, which some theorycrafters on the forums may disagree with). Telling this as an underdog story sells the Tenno short, we are a truly terrifying sabotage/espionage force that also functions as a highly mobile nuclear arsenal. Certainly, the Sentients are tough, but even a hyperadaptive robot needs supplies and C3.

hace 18 minutos, Iamabearlulz dijo:

Well I'm sorry if your plot reads like every underdog story ever told in the history of ever. I'm just tired of unwinnable battles being won because the plot needs it to happen, there are very few writers who can pull it off satisfyingly.

A few issues: We don't have an HQ per se (the relays are mostly there for non-Tenno associates, I think), the entire point of using bullets is to counter the Sentient adaptation tech (you try adapting to anti-materiel rounds), and real historical war plans don't really work in space (strategizing in three dimensions is a bit more complicated than trench warfare) (also Tenno don't hold territory).

The entire thing with the Tenno as a force is we're on equal footing with the Sentients or the Infestation, if what we've been told about the Old War is to be believed (and if it's actually in the past, which some theorycrafters on the forums may disagree with). Telling this as an underdog story sells the Tenno short, we are a truly terrifying sabotage/espionage force that also functions as a highly mobile nuclear arsenal. Certainly, the Sentients are tough, but even a hyperadaptive robot needs supplies and C3.

I mean, we're caught by surprise with a massive spearhead while we were busy fighting against one another. Far from being an underdog story, it tells how the Tenno manage to fight against the Sentient onslaught while convincing the 2 main military powers to stop focusing on holding to indefensible territories and stop fighting against each other to come together. 

While the Tenno can deal with the Sentients, remember that that was back then when the Tenno had full use of their powers, not to mention support, supply lines and a professional army and space navy backing them up. We're but shadows of what we used to be, with most of our powers locked or diminished and most of our Warframes lost and scattered, not to mention we're using millennia old technology and we're no longer a unified fighting force instead of being singular nomads that sometimes band together. Meanwhile, the sentients had millennia to evolve and design new strategies to counter us (remember that they are now resistant to the void), while at the same time forming an even bigger army than before.

The odds are not in our favor, yet I painted the Tenno as leading a fierce resistance despite the stupidity of both Corpus and Grineer, but realistically, the Tenno shouldn't be able to face a full blown Sentient invasion outright. That's why we (the coalition) lose territory (our relays and Grineer and Corpus bases) and that's why the Grineer and Corpus are forced to fall back to Earth and Venus. That's what I mean by HQ.

We might be terrifying, but we're far from unbeatable. Remember that even we can't defeat the Grineer and they are a bunch of malformed ex-slaves that were barely a mach to fewer numbers of Dax soldiers. Remember that we were caught red handed by Hek's Fomorian fleet and lost 3 relays, and those are conventional weapons and tactics. 

We'll be screwed at first. We'll lose holds and we'll have to fight a retreating campaign while raiding behind enemy lines until we can actually regroup, shorten our supply lines and rebuild and organize our coalition's fighting force.

1 hour ago, ixidron92 said:

They are not killing Natah. The player-base is too attached and want to rescue her. If DE killed her, there would be riots.

They better, cuz if the player-base is that attached to the Loli Operators with a mummy care taker, then I think of better games they can play.

If not, give players a choice to Kill or Spare

28 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

*puts this into a noteblock*

Dont mind me. Carry on.

😮